PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid to fly by Earth in November - Visible to naked eye

Neil
22-Sep-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.universetoday.com/85360/take-a-look-huge-asteroid-to-fly-by-earth-in-november/

A large space rock will pass close to Earth on November 8, 2011 and astronomers are anticipating the chance to see asteroid 2005 YU55 close up. Just like meteorites offer a free “sample return” mission from space, this close flyby is akin to sending a spacecraft to fly by an asteroid – just like how the Rosetta mission recently flew by asteroid Lutetia – but this time, no rocket is required. Astronomers are making sure Spaceship Earth will have all available resources trained on 2005 YU55 as it makes its closest approach, and this might be a chance for you to see the asteroid for yourself, as well.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/comet/20110502/comet20110502.gif

blind2d
22-Sep-2011, 01:38 PM
Y U 55?!
But seriously, this is excellent news! *Runs off to go tell Twilight Sparkle*

rongravy
23-Sep-2011, 01:50 AM
A couple scary things: one they said was that this is the closest anything's going to get until 2028. How much freaking closer can you get without messing things up?!?!?
The other thing was how close to the moon this thing is supposed to get. Heck, it looks like it's going to be a third closer than the moon at some point. Yikes.
And how close would this thing actually have to get before our gravity would swing it around another direction, maybe in our future path?
Scary stuff to me, especially to know doom is possibly hurtling at you like that. They'd probably even be able to tell you the exact second it's going to hit.

Visible to the nekked eye? They should put some strobe light action or whatever on that badboy and play trance music all over the world as it flies by.
Untz, untz. untz-untz-untz.

Neil
23-Sep-2011, 09:48 AM
Our gravity will affect its path, but not by much as it's going by so fast!

Mike70
23-Sep-2011, 03:45 PM
The other thing was how close to the moon this thing is supposed to get. Heck, it looks like it's going to be a third closer than the moon at some point.

Visible to the nekked eye? They should put some strobe light action or whatever on that badboy and play trance music all over the world as it flies by.
Untz, untz. untz-untz-untz.

its closest approach to earth will be about 201,000 miles. about 50,000 miles closer to earth than the moon. not much to worry about with this one.

Apophis is going to be much more interesting for sure.

Trin
23-Sep-2011, 04:44 PM
We should blow it up.

AcesandEights
23-Sep-2011, 04:51 PM
And risk turning one dangerous falling object into many?
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/10500-22068.jpg

Mike70
23-Sep-2011, 09:57 PM
We should blow it up.

absolutely, positively the worst idea to the deal with an incoming asteriod. there isn't a worse way to attempt to stop one.

bassman
23-Sep-2011, 10:05 PM
pfft. Armageddon proved that blowing it up is the best possible action. In Michael Bay I trust.....

:p

Trin
24-Sep-2011, 12:56 AM
absolutely, positively the worst idea to the deal with an incoming asteriod. there isn't a worse way to attempt to stop one.
Yeah, if anyone said anything about it hitting us. But this one is just passing by. Hence why we should blow it up. Send a message to the universe. "Stay off our lawn." And it'd be cool.

MikePizzoff
24-Sep-2011, 03:13 AM
http://movi.ca/im/mio/nightofthecomet.jpg
Anyone?

Mike70
24-Sep-2011, 03:52 PM
http://movi.ca/im/mio/nightofthecomet.jpg
Anyone?

HA! great 80s flick. i guess we all should be seeking shelter in (wasn't it steel?) bldgs.

MikePizzoff
24-Sep-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey, wtf? Why'd my picture get changed?! I had posted a shot from the movie of the zombie cop grabbing Samantha.

But, yeah Mike, it was steel.

Neil
25-Sep-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey, wtf? Why'd my picture get changed?! I had posted a shot from the movie of the zombie cop grabbing Samantha.

But, yeah Mike, it was steel.Sorry, that was me. Your image wasn't working, so I found what I thought you meant to post. Soz!

MikePizzoff
25-Sep-2011, 05:14 PM
Ah, quite right ol' chap!

Mike70
25-Sep-2011, 05:51 PM
Ah, quite right ol' chap!

yeah mike, your first post just had the "anyone?" in it without a pic. it instantly made more sense with the pic attached.

Rancid Carcass
26-Sep-2011, 01:45 PM
absolutely, positively the worst idea to the deal with an incoming asteriod. There isn't a worse way to attempt to stop one.

Well, perhaps trying to deflect one with the power of the mind... :rockbrow:

AcesandEights
26-Sep-2011, 01:52 PM
Well, perhaps trying to deflect one with the power of the mind... :rockbrow:

I've already done that with Apophis. I call my technique "ignoring the possibility of my impending demise".

Mike70
26-Sep-2011, 05:04 PM
I've already done that with Apophis. I call my technique "ignoring the possibility of my impending demise".

:lol: quote of the day.

on a serious tip: the best way to deflect an asteroid from striking the earth would be to change its velocity slightly. even a change of a few mm per second would mean the difference between a strike and a miss. there are several plausible ways to this:

a. using the mass of a couple of spacecraft to tug on the asteroid to change its velocity.

b. attaching a couple of craft to the asteroid and using the thrust of their engines to move it slightly.

c. if one is detected far enough away from earth, simply painting it a bright color (or using reflectors aimed at the sun) would cause the radiation from the solar wind to reflect off of it and over a long enough period of time that would push it out of an earth crossing orbit.

nuclear weapons don't work the same way in space nor do they have nearly the destructive power that they do on earth. why you ask? because a vast amount of the destruction caused by an atomic blast comes from the almost unimaginable overpressurization in the atmosphere and the subsequent shockwave created. in space, without an atmosphere, this cannot occur.

that ends the astrophysics portion of our day at HPOTD.

EvilNed
26-Sep-2011, 10:23 PM
A couple scary things: one they said was that this is the closest anything's going to get until 2028. How much freaking closer can you get without messing things up?!?!?
The other thing was how close to the moon this thing is supposed to get. Heck, it looks like it's going to be a third closer than the moon at some point. Yikes.
And how close would this thing actually have to get before our gravity would swing it around another direction, maybe in our future path?
Scary stuff to me, especially to know doom is possibly hurtling at you like that. They'd probably even be able to tell you the exact second it's going to hit.
[/I]

That graph in the original post only shows two dimensions, whereas actual space is of course in three dimensions. The graph fails to take into consideration the dimension of Z (or height, if you can call it that in space). So just because it appears to be close to the moon when looking down on it from a bird's eye perspective doesn't necessarily mean it is so.

As for the gravity, remember that this asteroid is probably on it's path for a reason. That reason is probably the sun, but I can't tell because I'm not all that familiar with this asteroid. But even if it is close to earth, the sun's gravity would probably still hold greater hold of it than earth. To that asteroid, Earth's gravity is but a whispher in the cold, dead sea of emptiness that is our solar system, whereas the Sun's gravity would be a loud shout.

Neil
27-Sep-2011, 10:11 AM
To that asteroid, Earth's gravity is but a whispher in the cold, dead sea of emptiness that is our solar system, whereas the Sun's gravity would be a loud shout.
Yes and no...

The Sun accounts for basically 99% of the mass of our solar system. But then the asteroid is 93,000,000 miles away from it, and only 200,000 from the Earth. Shall we do the math? It's a straight forward formula? :)

EvilNed
27-Sep-2011, 11:50 AM
Don't be a smartass, Neil.

MikePizzoff
27-Sep-2011, 12:25 PM
On his resume it states: HPotD owner & resident smartass.

Mike70
27-Sep-2011, 03:05 PM
2005 YU55 is in an orbit around the sun. it would require a perturbation of its orbit by another body (which it would have to pass at just the right time and angle to happen) to change its orbit. since the sun is the focii of its orbit the chances of the earth moving this thing is small.

here is a JPL's site. it shows the Z axis and it appears that this asteriod's orbit is inclined.

on a side note: if you are an astronomy geek, this site may become addictive to you.

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2005YU55;orb=1

Publius
28-Sep-2011, 02:23 AM
nuclear weapons don't work the same way in space nor do they have nearly the destructive power that they do on earth. why you ask? because a vast amount of the destruction caused by an atomic blast comes from the almost unimaginable overpressurization in the atmosphere and the subsequent shockwave created. in space, without an atmosphere, this cannot occur.

Of course, if you use a nuclear penetrator to detonate the warhead under the asteroid's surface, you can use a large chunk of the asteroid itself as reaction mass to nudge the asteroid into a different orbit. Much better use of nuclear weapons than trying to actually blow the asteroid to pieces. But its effectiveness would depend on the asteroid composition - it should be soft enough to blow a decent crater in it, but solid enough not to shatter completely (which could leave large chunks still aimed at Earth).

Mike70
28-Sep-2011, 02:48 AM
Of course, if you use a nuclear penetrator to detonate the warhead under the asteroid's surface, you can use a large chunk of the asteroid itself as reaction mass to nudge the asteroid into a different orbit. Much better use of nuclear weapons than trying to actually blow the asteroid to pieces. But its effectiveness would depend on the asteroid composition - it should be soft enough to blow a decent crater in it, but solid enough not to shatter completely (which could leave large chunks still aimed at Earth).

very true but as you point out, that'd be a dicey proposition. but if there was no time to attempt another manner of deflection...

Neil
08-Nov-2011, 09:21 AM
Oh! Seems you won't be able to see it after all :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15572634

We have Apophis passing us in 2029 at only a bit more than one earth diameter away! Now that is VERY close! And it WILL be visable!

There is, according to the latest calculations, no danger from Apophis either. However, it will pass much closer to the Earth on 13 April 2029 - at a distance of just 29,500km (18,300mi).

After the Minor Planet Center confirmed the June discovery of Apophis, an April 13, 2029 close approach was flagged by NASA's automatic Sentry system and NEODyS, a similar automatic program run by the University of Pisa and the University of Valladolid. On that date, it will become as bright as magnitude 3.4[9] (visible to the naked eye from rural as well as darker suburban areas, visible with binoculars from most locations[12]). This close approach will be visible from Europe, Africa, and western Asia. As a result of its close passage, it will move from the Aten to the Apollo class.

Legion2213
08-Nov-2011, 02:27 PM
I watch Stargate, that Apophis fellow is trouble! His shady asteroid is not to be trusted. And 18.000 miles is what I like to call "way too fucking close - back off bitch!"

AcesandEights
09-Nov-2011, 02:47 PM
Oh, well...I saw the simple graphic from the 1st page used on my local news to show the flight path of the asteroid.

Of course, no one mentioned Apophis on the news when they started assuring people this asteroid was nowhere close to hitting us :)

Neil
09-Nov-2011, 03:02 PM
Oh, well...I saw the simple graphic from the 1st page used on my local news to show the flight path of the asteroid.

Of course, no one mentioned Apophis on the news when they started assuring people this asteroid was nowhere close to hitting us :)

Apophis will be so close, it would be close enough to knock out geostationary satellites! (However it won't due to the trajectory of its path.)

AcesandEights
09-Nov-2011, 03:18 PM
Apophis will be so close, it would be close enough to knock out geostationary satellites!
I know! It's crazy, eh?

(However it won't due to the trajectory of its path.)
I haven't checked on any updated info on the flight path/impact risk path in a while...is this up to date info, Neil?

rongravy
10-Nov-2011, 01:32 AM
I was reading about this in the paper today, and I thought about this thread. They said it was the closest asteroid since the 70's or something. I was like, "Wait a second here. What about that one they talked about in that thread?"
Now I realise they are one and the same. I just wanted to share that, lol. I just got my net back today since the weekend. Woops, gotta pay those bills...
Back in 2029, and closer? Scary. I guess it wouldn't matter much since it'd hit and I'd probably die pretty quick. I also guess, maybe if nothing was going to save me anyway, maybe I'd rather just not know.

Mike70
10-Nov-2011, 01:22 PM
I know! It's crazy, eh?

I haven't checked on any updated info on the flight path/impact risk path in a while...is this up to date info, Neil?

i keep up with space related stuff pretty closely. apophis will undoubtedly miss the earth on 13 apr 2029 but if it passes within a 600-1 km "keyhole" in space, then the probability that it WILL strike the earth on 13 apr 2036 becomes a real problem to worry about.

more on apophis' pass in 2029:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

Neil
10-Nov-2011, 01:27 PM
i keep up with space related stuff pretty closely. apophis will undoubtedly miss the earth on 13 apr 2029 but if it passes within a 600-1 km "keyhole" in space, then the probability that it WILL strike the earth on 13 apr 2036 becomes a real problem to worry about.

more on apophis' pass in 2029:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/
And then 7yrs to do something about it, isn't long...

Legion2213
11-Nov-2011, 09:01 PM
I wonder how many fairly intelligent civilisations on other worlds have been wiped out by such asteroid strikes through the history of the universe?

It kind of sucks that at our level of progress, we can see it coming, know what the results will be but be totally unable to do anything about it.

It would also be ironic that our banning nukes from space to save the world from nuke destruction has severely limited our options to defend aganst such asteroid strikes (via nukes themselves or nuclear powered space craft).

We really need to be putting something in place now, not waiting until 2029 or beyond to see if the odds get even grimmer. Maybe a new world order single global governmant isn't such a shitty idea after all.