PDA

View Full Version : World War Z - Set report

Neil
25-Sep-2011, 08:25 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51348

Just thought I'd give you a few snippets of information I have recently come by.....yesterday I was fortunate enough to be involved in filming on the Brad Pitt huge budget zombie fest that is World War Z, which is currently shooting in Cranleigh near Guildford.....can you believe they are actually shooting at Dunsfold Park (Where Top Gear is filmed) I couldn't believe it, there were hundreds of Russian Extra's including Spetsnatz Soldiers, and there is Clarkson test driving a new Mercedes whilst Jack Dee sat in his immaculate Mercedes Gullwing....was quite surreal! Was hoping to see a Zombiefied Stig but alas no! Their were a couple of scenes being shot, the scene I was in was shot in the back of a Hercules which was doubling for a U.S Army Helicopter of some discription, possibly a Chinook. The set up was that that the helicopter was flying out of some American city possibly Philly, whilst a Ranger hung from the back watching the chaos below, the camera rig moves from the rear of the helo towards the ranger where green screen is present and the city scape below will then be added in digitally. The Helicopter is full of Rangers heavily armed and a little apprehensive as they do not know exactly what is going on below on their own soil....

We were literally used for one scene and that being the helicopter flying over a city....however we were told that the chopper was transporting U.S Rangers that would be amongst the first of the armed forces to hit the ground at the start of the outbreak I do know that the scene we were in was not part of the original script, I got the call late Tues night and had to be on set at 1430hrs the next day....I can also confirm that the film is definitely veering from the book, we were told that Brad and his family are in Philadelphia when the outbreak actually starts, which I can only assume are the scenes we have seen doing the rounds on the net...The costumes were fantastic and definitely accurate...they had some huge hulking SA's who were being used as Spetznatz soldiers and at least 200 other background artists who were all Russian bizarrely....so guess authenticity is a must for the production even tho' I doubt they will be heard in any way shape or form.

EvilNed
25-Sep-2011, 10:15 PM
I am definetly disappointed that they are veering from the book. But I guess as long as they try to make some sort of epic drama out of this (and salvage what salvaged can) then it might at least turn out Ok.

kidgloves
26-Sep-2011, 06:07 PM
At this stage im hoping the movie will be in the spirit of WWZ and, like Ned says, epic.

Sammich
27-Sep-2011, 07:23 AM
It sounds more like it is in the spirit of the Titanic.