PDA

View Full Version : Gary Streiner is fighting to save the cemetery chapel from NOTLD 1968

Yojimbo
29-Sep-2011, 02:40 AM
Gary Streiner should be credited and offered as much help as the HPOTD freaks can provide in his tireless fight to save the chapel in Evans Cemetery that was featured in NOTLD 1968.

This is the chapel that you see in the opening sequences of Night of the Living Dead where Johnny and Barbara park their car at the cemetery.

Apparently the chapel was slated for demolition because of it's bad condition, but Gary argued for and was granted a "temporary stay of execution" for a year while his organization attempts to raise the funds to bring the chapel up to code.

Additionally, according to Gary's posts on Facebook he has contacted GAR and gotten him onboard. GAR supports Gary's efforts, as follows:

Gary Streiner (https://www.facebook.com/gstreiner)
Latest news; I just got off the phone with GAR and he is totally behind and into this cause. He is somewhat preoccupied with projects and his new bride, he just returned from his honeymoon. (Congrats George) But he will be making a statement soon about his feelings for the chapel...

Mindblowing shit! GAR married his new girlfriend and just returned from a honeymoon? Working on new projects? But I digress.

I know my homies here on HPOTD will step up to help Gary Streiner - a fellow member and a legend in his own right- save the chapel from our beloved NOTLD from destruction. I myself have had the honor of visiting Evans Cemetery with Lee Karr who showed me around, and I must say that it would be a terrible shame if the chapel was razed. So, I implore my brothers and sisters here on HPOTD to rise to the occasion and help Gary realize his goal.

Folks, this is important and should not be ignored. If you love Night of the Living Dead 1968, please do what you can to help our brother Gary.

Thanks to you all in advance for your support!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/100603928094/ (https://www.facebook.com/groups/100603928094/)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=266096710091021&set=a.177468288953864.38559.100000720839181&type=1&ref=nf

ProfessorChaos
29-Sep-2011, 02:54 AM
can you provide a few links for those of us who avoid facebook like the plague?

bassman
29-Sep-2011, 01:05 PM
That was a chapel? Looks more like a work shed. :p

Jokes aside, I wish him the best of luck.

Ragnarr
29-Sep-2011, 05:45 PM
While I understand the sentimental aspect of saving scene structures featured in treasured films, I wouldn't think that the very brief view (or views) of the chapel in NotLD'68 would receive that much attention. Not trying to sound like an unsentimental thug here, but are other objects seen in the film receiving the same attention (the house, the pickup truck, Johnny's car, the gas pumps, Mr. Cooper's tie, Johnny's keys, the hammer used to board up the house windows, etc.)? I mean, if GAR is behind this project, I'll certainly support it anyway I can, but saving something that was only very briefly viewed in one or two scenes seems a little... nuts, no?

Native Americans have a saying:
"If you have a thing that you cannot bear to part with, you don't possess it. It possesses you."

Yojimbo
29-Sep-2011, 11:27 PM
While I understand the sentimental aspect of saving scene structures featured in treasured films, I wouldn't think that the very brief view (or views) of the chapel in NotLD'68 would receive that much attention. Not trying to sound like an unsentimental thug here, but are other objects seen in the film receiving the same attention (the house, the pickup truck, Johnny's car, the gas pumps, Mr. Cooper's tie, Johnny's keys, the hammer used to board up the house windows, etc.)? I mean, if GAR is behind this project, I'll certainly support it anyway I can, but saving something that was only very briefly viewed in one or two scenes seems a little... nuts, no?

"If you have a thing that you cannot bear to part with, you don't possess it. It possesses you."

Let me respond with an equally trite saying: "One man's junk is another man's treasure"

Having had the opportunity to visit the chapel at Evans City Cemetery, I personally would be saddened if it was demolished. I would say other objects in the film - at least those that were not lost or destroyed in the interim - are are treated by some as important and worthy of attention. The music box, Mr. Cooper's outfit, the ammo-sling the sherrif wore, the rifles used in the film - all of these things are treasures to some, and some have invested a lot of time, effort and money in acquiring these "objects"

I myself have in the past spent money on picking up props and other memorabillia from the films and while maybe there are some people who don't understand why I would waste my time and money on these things, there are others who understand completely.

Truthfully, it is not my goal here to proselytize to and convert those who may think that Gary's effort is "nuts" - only to bring those who have similar interests into the fold. Those who wish to help out are more than welcome to do so, just as those who wish to dismiss this are free to follow their hearts.

Ragnarr
30-Sep-2011, 12:27 AM
Let me respond with an equally trite saying: "One man's junk is another man's treasure"

Having had the opportunity to visit the chapel at Evans City Cemetery, I personally would be saddened if it was demolished. I would say other objects in the film - at least those that were not lost or destroyed in the interim - are are treated by some as important and worthy of attention. The music box, Mr. Cooper's outfit, the ammo-sling the sherrif wore, the rifles used in the film - all of these things are treasures to some, and some have invested a lot of time, effort and money in acquiring these "objects"

I myself have in the past spent money on picking up props and other memorabillia from the films and while maybe there are some people who don't understand why I would waste my time and money on these things, there are others who understand completely.

Truthfully, it is not my goal here to proselytize to and convert those who may think that Gary's effort is "nuts" - only to bring those who have similar interests into the fold. Those who wish to help out are more than welcome to do so, just as those who wish to dismiss this are free to follow their hearts.

My apologies to you Yojimbo. I wasn't attempting to be a jerk or anything; I was just trying to understand. Like I said, I support any of GAR's projects and also those of his fan base. It's just that after facing my own demise several times over, I've taken to not becoming emotionally attached to anything because I know it can be gone tomorrow. Saving the chapel from NotLD is a noble effort and should be embraced by any who deem it worthy.

Yojimbo
30-Sep-2011, 12:40 AM

Kyra Schon has stepped up and offered her page as a non-facebook source of information for Gary's efforts since lots of folks avoid FB as a matter of general principle.

Kyra told me that she will have her page updated in this regard sometime next week and once she has this up I will post a non-FB link for those of you who think Facebook exposure will cause impotence and the plague. :D

-- -------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

My apologies to you Yojimbo. I wasn't attempting to be a jerk or anything; I was just trying to understand. Like I said, I support any of GAR's projects and also those of his fan base. It's just that after facing my own demise several times over, I've taken to not being emotionally attached to anything because I know it can be gone tomorrow. Saving the chapel from NotLD is a noble effort and should be embraced by any who deem it worthy.

Brother Ragnarr, no apology necessary. From your posts, I know that you are a decent fellow and a good dude. In fact, in rereading my post I see how it could have been interpreted as a snarky blow at you so I feel that I owe you an apology - I hope you know that I did not intend to take a shot at you personally.

For what it is worth, I do get what you are saying - To be sure there certainly are things that are far more important than acquiring movie memorabillia and funding historical preservation and in this day and age there are a lot of elements that take up our time and efforts that outweigh things like this.

Peace, brother!

Ragnarr
30-Sep-2011, 03:00 AM
lol I actually had to ask my girlfriend what the word trite meant when I got home from work tonight. I'm quite the knuckle dragger sometimes. Peace 2U2 brother. :)

Philly_SWAT
03-Oct-2011, 01:28 AM
When I was at the cemetery several years ago, even then I was surprised at how shitty the condition of the chapel/work shed was. I wonder why the cemetery itself didnt keep it in better condition, or fix it after it fell into a state of disrepair? I remember trying to find out in the past (with no success) who owns and/or runs the cemetery. Is it the town of Evans City itself? Is it a private company? Does anyone know?

Also, what exactly is Gary looking for? Cash? Supplies? Free labor? Is there an estimate of total cost?

C5NOTLD
03-Oct-2011, 07:45 PM
While I understand the sentimental aspect of saving scene structures featured in treasured films, I wouldn't think that the very brief view (or views) of the chapel in NotLD'68 would receive that much attention. Not trying to sound like an unsentimental thug here, but are other objects seen in the film receiving the same attention (the house, the pickup truck, Johnny's car, the gas pumps, Johnny's keys, the hammer used to board up the house windows,.)? I mean, if GAR is behind this project, I'll certainly support it anyway I can, but saving something that was only very briefly viewed in one or two scenes seems a little... nuts, no?

Saving a piece of history is always important. Especially with this film where so much has already been lost or not taken care of. Most of those other items you mentioned did not receive the same attention which is why they are no longer in existence. It's a race against time. Once something is lost to history, you don't get a second chance.

gary
04-Oct-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi guys Yojimbo invited me over to say Hi. As you guys all might understand I'm once again in up to my eyeballs. Thanks for having a thread for this cause It all matters and only the fans can do this. I totally can understand someone not caring about the chapel I have friends that don't. My feeling is calling it a chapel is glorifying it for sake of promotion. It really is a tool shed who cares. The building is a shrine to the majority of Night fans and if I didn't try to save it the doubters would never get the chance change their minds.
Another thing is the cemetery itself is limping along if it wasn't for a cell phone tower on the property it to could run the risk of closing. How would people feel if that was gone? And what would that do to the legacy of Night. This effort will get them some revenue to keep the cemetery going. Just think of driving to the top of the hill and none of it was there!!~ For those of us that want it to carry on I will do what I can to keep you in the loop. I will be creating a splash where the info about the progress and place to buy things and see what shows are supporting the cause.
Gary

ProfessorChaos
04-Oct-2011, 06:55 AM
yikes. closing that cemetery altogether would be a tragedy, imo. it's still somewhere i'd love to visit if it weren't so damn far away. perhaps one day i can get there, and i really hope there's something there to see rather than an empty field and a cellphone tower.

please keep us informed of the situation. good to see you back on here, gary.

Tricia Martin
08-Jan-2012, 01:01 PM

http://www.fixthechapel.com is our official website.

-- -------- Post added 01-Jan-2012 at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was 31-Dec-2011 at 02:12 PM ----------

I started a group here for the chapel. I will posting updates of everything that goes on, if you guys are interested, please feel free to peruse and join!

-- -------- Post added 05-Jan-2012 at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-Jan-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

Cyndi Lauper supports us in saving the chapel! How awesome is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMO28J5dI9M

-- -------- Post added 08-Jan-2012 at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-Jan-2012 at 10:52 PM ----------

The chapel is one of the only remaining structures from NOTLD still standing. The house, the pickup truck, Johnny's car, and the gas pump, are all gone now. All that's left of the farmhouse scene is the basement- and it wasn't even in the house the movie was shot in. And the chapel is also old enough to be put into the Historical Registry (which Gary has done all the work necessary to have that happen- along with Ed Gonzalez-Tennant, a Historical Archaeologist). So it's not just a matter of preserving an icon of cinematic history, it is also about preserving a part of Evans City's history. That chapel has been a part of their history long before George, John, Russ, and Gary came along to film in the cemetery. Way too many historical structures get torn down to make room for highways and apartment buildings nowadays, in my opinion. I am happy to help Gary save the chapel- not just for NOTLD, but for history in general.