PDA

View Full Version : Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Ragnarr
27-Oct-2011, 03:17 PM
Not sure if this 1972 horror flick was ever discussed on HPotD. I think this was the first zed movie attempting to ride GAR's coat tails after NotLD, and in my humble opinion, did so pretty darn well. The ending STILL creeps me out to this very day. Here's the trailer. You might be able to download the entire flick somewhere on the net.

Hm8elaYH7c4

Um, cheers? :eek:

EvilNed
27-Oct-2011, 07:25 PM
It's f*cking great, I love it. Real classic. It's been up for discussion a few times before, but it is really underrated. Too bad the director died before he got a chance to remake it.

Ragnarr
27-Oct-2011, 07:39 PM
It's f*cking great, I love it. Real classic. It's been up for discussion a few times before, but it is really underrated. Too bad the director died before he got a chance to remake it.

I think the parts that creeped me out the most were:

-the tied up grounds keeper watching the dead shamble by, then one zed turns around noticing him. They show the scene from the ground keeper's view, like the zed turns to look at YOU the viewer. Nasty.

-When the organizer dude pushes that girl into the pack of zeds as he's backing up the staircase in order to save his own arss. The look of betrayal on her face looking at him. Morbid.

-The filming technique used in the final scene(s), moving in a weird type of slow motion. Really f'ing creepy.

Not sure how Romero would redo the flick. I mean, it's basically the same plot as NotLD. Also, I'm almost certain GAR wouldn't be able to recreate the nasty morbid really f'ing creepy scenes described above.

dracenstein
27-Oct-2011, 09:18 PM
I liked it a lot. Had it on vhs but never got round to getting it on dvd, I suppose I better get it on blu-ray when it becomes available.

snowwarrior
28-Oct-2011, 05:31 PM
Great little Canadian flick. When it premiered it was a double bill with And Now the Screaming Starts. Skyline of city in final scenes is Toronto!

Thorn
28-Oct-2011, 05:44 PM
We have discussed it before at length on a couple of different versions of the forum software ;) That said it is not a bi deal, we are here to talk zombies so if we discuss the same thing a couple of times who is losing sleep?

I love the movie, I hate that it is so dated (in terms of clothing) because really it was such a solid zombie movie, sufficiently scary, and not too bad production value either with a not huge budget.

Sammich
28-Oct-2011, 07:59 PM
This movie scared me much like the way NOTLD did even though I saw it years later. The Charles Manson looking guy who was the main character came across as a very creepy and arrogant psycho, but not to the point of being an overacted parody that so many other horror films seem to have now days. Just watching him you know that something really bad is going to happen.

Ragnarr
28-Oct-2011, 11:52 PM
What's unique about this movie apart from its well done creepy scenes is that the zeds do not rise because of some unknown radiation or virus like most zed flicks, but solely due to the Chuck Manson dude disrespecting the dead.
I guess the title of the movie says it all, eh?
(insert maniacal laugh here)

Yojimbo
30-Oct-2011, 04:53 PM
Did anyone else trip out on that kids book called "Movie Monsters" by Alan Ormsby, that dude from "Children Shouldn't play with Dead Things?" I remember this book showed you how to make yourself up as various classic movie monsters and provided me with hours of fun as a kid. It made me want to become Tom Savini!!!

Thorn
31-Oct-2011, 02:05 PM
I always thought it was the ritual that brought them back from the dead... interesting take. Perhaps a combination? The ritual brought them back the disrespect made them angry as hell.

dirtydwarf
20-Nov-2011, 12:08 PM
Great movie! Creepier than any of the 'dead' movies really. I think it was the background music that really creeped me out.

babomb
20-Nov-2011, 09:14 PM
Watch it on youtube-courtesy of "zombiemovies4free1D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqdNn5VnAcU

JDFP
20-Nov-2011, 10:25 PM
You know, I've never seen this one before. I'm watching it right now and rather digging it actually. The "director" looks a little like John Amplas - and those pants, groovy pants man!

The chick with the yellow shirt is pretty hot. I'd hit that.

Anyone else think that Jeffrey "I peed my pants!" looks a bit like John Belushi?

j.p.

krakenslayer
20-Nov-2011, 11:54 PM
Did we ever hear any more about the supposed GAR/Savini remake that was being mooted?

Kaos
21-Nov-2011, 05:03 PM
Directed by none other than Bob Clark. Bob also directed Porky's, Black Christmas, and the much beloved and overplayed A Christmas Story. He and one of his son's died tragically in a car accident in 2007.