View Full Version : Is it just me... (Immortals)

EvilNed
30-Oct-2011, 11:27 AM
I just saw a trailer for that upcoming film Immortals.

The costumes. What the hell is wrong with these costumes. They are just soooo wrong. Mickey Rourke looks ridiculuous. Seriously, look at him! That helmet of his is probably the single ugliest/funniest thing I've ever seen a villain wear.

7VdONYkKFmQ

And then there's these guys:

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/immortals-movie_photo_02.jpg

Yeah, whatever it is you guys are doing, I want no part of it. Take you're costumes built out of lego blocks and get out of here. Wait, you remind me of something... The Golden Saints of Morrowind and Shivering Isles!

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/17166/966144-gsaint_large.jpg

And you know what that reminds me off? That the day Immortals gets released is also the release date for Skyrim. I'm giving this weird films a wide berth. Looks ridiculuous. Mickey Rourke's villain is bound to be the funniest in a while - and that's not a good sign.

rongravy
30-Oct-2011, 09:37 PM
This movie looks as gay as their outfits.
I'm gonna sit this one out as well.

Mike70
24-Dec-2011, 03:08 AM
I just saw a trailer for that upcoming film Immortals.

The costumes. What the hell is wrong with these costumes. They are just soooo wrong. Mickey Rourke looks ridiculuous. Seriously, look at him! That helmet of his is probably the single ugliest/funniest thing I've ever seen a villain wear.

7VdONYkKFmQ

And then there's these guys:

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/immortals-movie_photo_02.jpg

Yeah, whatever it is you guys are doing, I want no part of it. Take you're costumes built out of lego blocks and get out of here. Wait, you remind me of something... The Golden Saints of Morrowind and Shivering Isles!

surprised there wasn't more discussion of this film. i saw it recently and wasn't really that impressed. since it takes place in the heroic age and not the historical one, i was willing to give it more of a pass than "300" in its characterization of Theseus, Phaedra, etc. but it really isn't very good at all.

the way the gods are depicted is ridiculous and rather weak. the Olympians involved themselves in the affairs of men all the time, so this "let's sit back on let the humans use their free will" line from Zeus just didn't sit well with me. since i am a classical scholar in real life (or was in another part of my life and still read the classics all the time), i thought a lot of this film was a bullshit mishmash.

the gods are referred to as "deathless" and "immortal" over and over again in greek literature. there is nothing about them dying. Zeus does threaten to throw them into Tartarus in "the Illiad" if they continue to directly fight on the side of either the Achaians or Trojans.

as for mickey rourke's character: fucking boohoo, the gods didn't hear your prayers and save your family. they didn't answer every propitiation and things that were fated to be could not be undone, even by Zeus himself. so this moron wants to release the Titans. of all the stupid ideas a human mind could conceive that would have to be right up there near the top. why the FUCK would anyone want Kronos and Iapetos (among others) running amok over the earth again??? not a good idea.

Tartarus isn't a mountain and there is no mention of the hundred handed ones, the guardians of Tartarus.

the movie made no sense at fucking all. i hope you steered clear of this one, ned. it isn't worth the time.

childofgilead
24-Dec-2011, 05:08 AM
Yeah, my eyes rolled so hard upon seeing this preview the first time I was surprised they didn't fall out of my face. I think somebody decided that 300 and The Clash of the Titans remake needed to bump uglies and have this post birth abortion squeezed out..hopefully nobody fell for it.

EvilNed
24-Dec-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks Mike, you're the first one who I think has been honest about it. I haven't seen it. And I won't, looks like crap.

Maybe, maybe in five years I'll rent it and laugh at it. It looks like that kind of film... The one you laugh at. Mickey Rourke looks fucking ridiculous in the trailer.

Mike70
24-Dec-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah, my eyes rolled so hard upon seeing this preview the first time I was surprised they didn't fall out of my face. I think somebody decided that 300 and The Clash of the Titans remake needed to bump uglies and have this post birth abortion squeezed out..hopefully nobody fell for it.

oh. my. god. that is the best description of this film ever. that is exactly what it is: the bastard child of 300 and the titans remake. unfortunately, it lacks the bloody action fun of 300 and the nostalgic cheese of titans.

-- -------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Thanks Mike, you're the first one who I think has been honest about it. I haven't seen it. And I won't, looks like crap.

Maybe, maybe in five years I'll rent it and laugh at it. It looks like that kind of film... The one you laugh at. Mickey Rourke looks fucking ridiculous in the trailer.

and he is ridiculous in the movie. i know i recommended to steer clear but since you love the classics, you ought to give it at least a look. BUT i warn you: have both a barf bag (for the dialouge and acting) and a box of tissues (because you'll laugh yourself to tears) handy.

rongravy
17-Jan-2012, 04:45 AM
Although it's got a few bloody parts, I pretty much kept looking at my clock in hopes of it being over soon. Zeus looks like a knockoff Orlando Bloom and Mickey Rourke needs to die already. I can't stand that nasty old bastard. Stop giving him movie roles, please...