PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on modern games..

Tricky
21-Nov-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/21/game-logic-vs-choice-consequence/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28R ock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29

I'd have to agree, it seems like the prettier the graphics get the less you can actually do in the game! Dead Island being a good example, its gorgeous and fun, but your limited to bludgeoning, opening doors & fetching & carrying. The NPC's may as well be cardboard cut outs that just repeat the same thing over and over & your actions have no lasting effect on the game world!

EvilNed
21-Nov-2011, 07:45 PM
Hmm. I mostly play the Elder Scrolls and Total War games... So I guess I'd just have to go ahead and say "Meh, not buying it".

Danny
22-Nov-2011, 03:19 AM
games today: every single function takes longer to design and bug check.

games in the 90's: we can barely do anything so lets use creative ways to make those limits seem like interesting design choices.

Case in point the original silent hill. The only way it could run at the time was an almost nonexistent draw distance. this became 'fog' in the story and it worked.