PDA

View Full Version : 1000 A.E (film) - M. Shyamalan

Neil
06-Dec-2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52189

..sci-fi action adventure (starting Will Smith & son Jaden), in which humans no longer live on Earth after it becomes inhospitable. The elder Smith is playing a hero, while Jaden is his son, considered a failure as a warrior. When the two crash-land on Earth, it is up to the son to save the dad.

Hasn't Will seen Shyamalan's last couple of films?

JDFP
06-Dec-2011, 05:30 PM
Dude, you're always ragging on Syamalan.

I think he's a fantastic director who has had a couple of bad films (well, I didn't like "The Last Airbender" at all and thought "The Happening" could have been better) but overall I think the vast majority of his films are fantastic (just my opinion of course). People either love or hate Shyamalan - there's no middle ground with the man. Personally, I love the vast majority of his work so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this and hope it's a return to form for him.

j.p.

SymphonicX
06-Dec-2011, 05:36 PM
M Night Shyamalan
Uwe Boll
Zack Snyder

AcesandEights
06-Dec-2011, 05:39 PM
M Night Shyamalan
Uwe Boll
Zack Snyder

You've got to be kidding me, Symph! :eek:

JDFP
06-Dec-2011, 05:41 PM
M Night Shyamalan
Uwe Boll
Zack Snyder

You're doing a comparison between an overall great director (Shyamalan), a terrible director (Boll), and a half-and-half director (Snyder) here? It's the only logic I can make of this.

j.p.

Mike70
06-Dec-2011, 05:52 PM
Dude, you're always ragging on Syamalan.

i'm with neil on this one. shyamalan is probably one of the most overrated directors in the history of cinema. his movies are pretentious and coy. can't stand anything the dude has ever done. "the sixth sense" is, in my not so humble opinion, the single most overrated movie ever.

JDFP
06-Dec-2011, 05:56 PM
i'm with neil on this one. shyamalan is probably one of the most overrated directors in the history of cinema. his movies are pretentious and coy. can't stand anything the dude has ever done. "the sixth sense" is, in my not so humble opinion, the single most overrated movie ever.

I respect your opinion even if I completely disagree. It proves my point though - Shyamalan has always been a polarizing director. People either love his films or hate him - I've never really met anyone who is "iffy" about him one way or another. I've loved all but two of his films myself. "The Sixth Sense" is good (in my opinion) but "Signs" is my favorite film by him by a long shot.

j.p.

Danny
06-Dec-2011, 06:44 PM
I respect your opinion even if I completely disagree. It proves my point though - Shyamalan has always been a polarizing director. People either love his films or hate him - I've never really met anyone who is "iffy" about him one way or another. I've loved all but two of his films myself. "The Sixth Sense" is good (in my opinion) but "Signs" is my favorite film by him by a long shot.

j.p.

I think people don't like his flicks because they are expecting a certain thing from them, and his whole thing isnt 'tweests' its not giving you the same thing twice.

except for signs, that was people buttrustled over the whole tired 'you got religion in my sci-fi!' some people find so ,for lack of a better less ironic term, heretical. Maybe distasteful is a bit more fitting, but that lacks the delicious irony.

Same with the LOST or battlestar finales, some folks call anything that toes the line between science and faith and chooses faith as dogshit. now i am really not a fan of organised religion, but that dont mean i cannot appreciate an ending like signs where certain happenstances reaffirms a mans dwindling faith. Thats what religion should be at the end of the day, one man and his personal god or gods and i dug how that was addressed in signs. Lotta folks don't care for that to mingle with sci-fi. In fact deep space 9 is probably the only example i can think of that got away with it.

I think shamylan is a dude who tries in all his films to tread the waters of both sci-fi and religious undertones and seems like a spiritual due who has this influence his movies. I think this shows in films like signs and the happening. You are never quite sure that its aliens or the rapture, with the happening its theorised that its plants, again its never quite sure that its not something more spiritual in nature.

Personally i dig it, the only one of his films i really dislike is the village, because there were so many better endings it could have had.

an the only one that doesnt deserve the criticism is lady in the water which is a goddamn gorgeous flick. People just hate that he made himself a pivotal role. apparently that is gauche for him, but perfectly kosher for kevin smith... :rolleyes:

Neil
06-Dec-2011, 08:06 PM
I liked "Signs", but "The Event" was a bad film on so many levels. Given the production values, Shyamalan dropped the ball badly script and directing wise!

rongravy
06-Dec-2011, 08:23 PM
I've pretty much seen all of his lame ass movies, in the theater no less. Every single time, not one person left without muttering. Myself included...
The Happening started off really good, but plants?!?!?
Yeah, not a fan.

EvilNed
06-Dec-2011, 08:34 PM
I kinda like his films. I've enjoyed all of them, except the ones I haven't seen. "The Last Airbender" and "The Lady in the Water", that is.

Danny
06-Dec-2011, 09:37 PM
I've pretty much seen all of his lame ass movies, in the theater no less. Every single time, not one person left without muttering. Myself included...
Yeah, not a fan.

See ,on reflection, it kind of bugs me that 'plants!' is why the happening is bad , but 'crows!' is why the birds is good when the premise is essentially 'something benign decides to murder. Its not as good as the birds, but just based on plot alone the happenings isnt that bad. Plus the opening, particularly with the building site was very very creepy.

Neil
07-Dec-2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah, not a fan.

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are brilliant flicks IMHO. Nice scipt and well shot.

Signs, for all its daftness, I still loved...

But his recent films seem to have gone down hill. As I said before, "The Happening" was just terrible really.

rongravy
08-Dec-2011, 10:33 PM
See ,on reflection, it kind of bugs me that 'plants!' is why the happening is bad , but 'crows!' is why the birds is good when the premise is essentially 'something benign decides to murder. Its not as good as the birds, but just based on plot alone the happenings isnt that bad. Plus the opening, particularly with the building site was very very creepy.
Ehhhh, I wasn't that keen on the plot either, especially AFTER it was revealed that it was the plants that were pissed at us...
Never seen The Birds.

AcesandEights
09-Dec-2011, 02:14 AM
Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are brilliant flicks IMHO. Nice scipt and well shot.

Signs, for all its daftness, I still loved...

Add to that the Village for me...totally deep, intimate film, just poorly marketed as a horror.

Devil, I've been trying to catch on cable, but I keep missing it.

EvilNed
09-Dec-2011, 06:37 AM

Good point. People would never bring it down on Hitchcock like that.