PDA

View Full Version : The Last of Us (video game) - 'ultra realistic' zombie pandemic for PS3?

Danny
08-Dec-2011, 02:24 AM
http://www.lastofus.com/

So this just came out, the latest news. main announcement at the VGA's.

heres what scant details we know:

>its a ps3 exclusive
>its touted as 'the most photo realistic videogame yet
>2 screenshots show a woodland and a very old newspaper stating how the president announces millions are dead or 'infected'
>shows a video of a 'zombie' ant crawling to its death under control of the infamous cordycepts fungus
>quoted as 'if you like matt damons contagion flick you will like this'

My guess? surviving in a zombieish viral pandemic. nice to see a possible interesting ps3 exclusive on the way. lets wait and see.

Neil
08-Dec-2011, 09:41 AM
Don't recon this will be 'zombie'... Probably going to be mutant/fungus creatures!?

Does anything specifically say "zombie"?

Tricky
08-Dec-2011, 09:58 AM
Sounds like it could be good although I highly doubt a PS3 exclusive will be "the most photo realistic game yet" seen as the current generation of consoles has reached its ceiling & being well overtaken by the PC again (compare Skyrim for example)

Danny
08-Dec-2011, 12:21 PM
Don't recon this will be 'zombie'... Probably going to be mutant/fungus creatures!?

Does anything specifically say "zombie"?

well the site auto loads a video of the ants controlled by the cordycepts fungi. The only real world 'zombie' in the animal kingdom and its been used for 'zombies' in sci-fi orientated horror stuff across almost every medium i can think of. They chose that video for a specific reason. If it was something a bit less 'shambly' they could have chosen a myriad of other things.

To be honest im expecting this to be the first in a series of zombie-ish games being announced after dead island proved theres still a paying market for the sub genre.

Neil
08-Dec-2011, 01:48 PM
^^ Let's hope you're right. If you think of every zombie game, in reality they're not really just zombies in there. They're different types of mutated monsters, maybe with zombies as the lowest form... Dead Island's got closest I guess, but even that has it's highers mutations to offer more variety and challenge. It's not just zombies.

I recon this will be the same, such that it's not just a Romero just zombies type game...

Danny
11-Dec-2011, 01:24 AM
Huh. Apparently naughty dog said they added a few references to the last of us in uncharted 3. Like Drake can find a newspaper saying 'scientists struggle to fight deadly fungus'.

So its deadly, and the website has a video of a 'zombie' making fungus.

HURM.

-- -------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

OH. F*CK.

I think this is a hideo kojimia game.

if it is, and it is zombies, or mutants if its a snatcher prequel?

jesus jumped up christ....

-- -------- Post added 11-Dec-2011 at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-Dec-2011 at 07:21 PM ----------

rWzcYbtZQrk

Wow, i was expecting some generic nighttime horror if i'm honest. Not that.

So it turns out its by naughtydog, dont think the kojima input rumours were true at all, but its straight from the uncharted 3 guys. With the main character played by- both voice and mocap and model from ellen paige. Right about the fungal zombies though.

Its being quoted as 'putting the survival back in survival horror, i am legend meets the road in a city where nature has retaken the streets and joel and ellie survive fighting both infected and other humans for the most basic of resources.

Honestly i think it looks shit hot since thats all in game engine stuff.

Though no doubt a few hpotd folks who dont even own a ps3 will bitch and moan that its not 'proper, realistic zombies' :lol:

Rancid Carcass
11-Dec-2011, 02:14 AM
Though no doubt a few hpotd folks who dont even own a ps3 will bitch and moan that its not 'proper, realistic zombies' :lol:

Obviously if it were on the 360 it would be ten times better and there would be proper Romero zombies in it and stuff... :p

Does look pretty nice though. Starting to look like I might have to ammend my letter to Santa this year... hmmm... dammit!

krisvds
11-Dec-2011, 06:03 AM
Ok. Very excited. 'The Road' meets '28 days later' meets 'hopefully non-generic post-apocalyptic survival horror gameplay'...
Those graphics are quite something. Seems like this generation can still pull some stunts in its last two/three years.

"Shoot 'em in the mushroom!"

clanglee
11-Dec-2011, 11:19 AM
looks pretty cool. . .I thought that chick looked and sounded a lot like ellen page . . . .interesting. . I might have to get a ps3 for this one.

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2011, 12:33 AM

Well, if it makes you feel better, between this and the Uncharted series, I wish I could stomach the idea of buying another console system. Not gonna happen though.

MikePizzoff
12-Dec-2011, 12:19 PM
looks pretty cool. . .I thought that chick looked and sounded a lot like ellen page . . . .interesting. . I might have to get a ps3 for this one.

Is that the girl from Juno? Because I couldn't stop thinking that looked like her.

I have Uncharted 2 and, in my opinion, it's one of the best games I've EVER played. So, sign me up for another game by this company, especially if it's zombie related!

Rancid Carcass
12-Dec-2011, 02:03 PM
especially if it's zombie related!

Now there's a debate waiting to happen!

Are they classed as Zombies? Infected? Or a new strain of Fungus People? Discuss... :D

MikePizzoff
12-Dec-2011, 04:46 PM

Are they classed as Zombies? Infected? Or a new strain of Fungus People? Discuss... :D

:fin:

Danny
12-Dec-2011, 06:24 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/tumblr_lpyh0kR27o1qbkzp9.gif

krisvds
13-Dec-2011, 09:58 AM
They are fungies.

Cool preview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-the-last-of-us-preview

Cykotic
20-Dec-2011, 06:36 PM
I want this game to be good. I really do, but I'm more of an Xbox gamer than a PS3 (that's the mrs's domain (except for dead island))

Danny
03-Feb-2012, 01:36 AM
New gamerinformer info on the way in feb's issue!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1328235688792.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1328235504406.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1328235423740.jpg

Neil
03-Feb-2012, 07:59 AM
^^ Looks pretty!

Rancid Carcass
09-Feb-2012, 01:30 PM
Some more info on IGN:

"Our story picks up in one of the last remaining quarantine zones," Druckmann goes on. Martial law rules the day, and any infraction -- even minor ones -- result in immediate execution.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218234p1.html

So, a jolly old romp then! :D

fulci fan
06-Mar-2012, 01:15 AM
Ehhh, they should have just made them zombies.

Danny
06-Mar-2012, 01:41 AM
Ehhh, they should have just made them zombies.

because that would've made it stand out from the crowd. :rolleyes:

Danny
17-May-2012, 12:05 AM
New trailer
MGtfH8Uu1BU

still looking kinda shit hot.

Sammich
17-May-2012, 12:40 AM
Why not for PC? PS3 and Xbox are for kiddies.

krisvds
17-May-2012, 04:27 AM
Why not for PC? PS3 and Xbox are for kiddies.

A very mature assessment there by a superior PC gamer? ;)

Seriously. I would like to see some gameplay. By the looks of it this could turn out to be just another 'on rails' cinematic game filled with setpieces and very little actual gameplay as you are being led by the hand through yet another post-apocalyptic themepark ride. I've had enough of those.

Tricky
17-May-2012, 08:49 AM
Are zombie games the new World War II games? Remember when Band of Brothers came out and there was a flush of games all set in WW2, some good, some bad, until they'd pretty much worn out the genre. Now following the success of The Walking Dead there seems to be an awful lot of zombie type games coming out

Mr. Clean
17-May-2012, 09:29 AM
Dunno if they are zombies are not but the creature flinched in pain when the girl stabs it with a knife.

Neil
17-May-2012, 01:56 PM
New trailer
MGtfH8Uu1BU

still looking kinda shit hot.

This is a pre-rendered trailer? Not actual game engine footage?!

Danny
05-Jun-2012, 09:11 AM
2MPRaXpUbKk
here Neil, actual game footage.

Looks like a very good year to own a PS3.

Neil
05-Jun-2012, 09:50 AM
Looks amazing! But you have to wonder how 'on rails' it all is!?

Neil
17-Jul-2012, 08:59 PM
I still can't believe this is game footage!

3Y1XEg1lS1g

Neil
05-Feb-2013, 09:51 AM
Some new screen shots - http://uk.ign.com/images/games/the-last-of-us-ps3-123980

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2013/02/04/infected-runnersjpg-756b2d.jpg

Rancid Carcass
05-Feb-2013, 11:28 AM
Hmm... its' probably a bit too late in the current gen to buy a PS3, but this could be the thing swings it for the PS4... damn thing better be backwards compatible! :eek:

Neil
05-Feb-2013, 12:18 PM
^^ Interesting! The PS4 is due out later this year, so you have to wonder why they're bring this out for the PS3 now, and not for the PS4 as a main title?

Danny
05-Feb-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah it really would make a hell of a launch title for the ps4, and given that rumour has it that its being announced in 15 days i can only assume its why the last guardians been so delayed and this, a title from the uncharted guys, not being held back makes little sense from a console launch line up standpoint.

Neil
05-Feb-2013, 02:39 PM
Maybe a sequel to this game (assuming it's successful) might be a PS3/PS4 title, with the PS4 featuring superior graphics!?

Neil
14-Feb-2013, 09:14 AM
Arriving June 14th - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/13/the-last-of-us-is-coming-in-june/

Neil
11-Mar-2013, 01:33 PM
Demo out May 31st - https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/310103054039019521

kidgloves
20-Mar-2013, 12:58 PM
Demo out May 31st - https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/310103054039019521

Woohooo. I've had this game on preorder for what seems like forever

Neil
03-Apr-2013, 11:26 AM
Does look pretty!

p4pYIsaZqE0

krisvds
03-Apr-2013, 07:00 PM
Wow. If that is in game who needs next gen?

Danny
03-Apr-2013, 08:14 PM
I think this is the first game i've been super hyped up for since alan wake, i really hope its not a let down since theres so few games today that get my interest like this has.

Neil
03-Apr-2013, 10:09 PM

Would be funny if at the very end of the PS3's life, if they finally managed to crack the secret to the stength of its unique CPU etc...

Rancid Carcass
03-Apr-2013, 11:48 PM

Hmmm...We've been here before with Colonial Marines... looks good so far but lets proceed with caution - we don't need that kind of misery twice in one year! :shifty:

Tricky
05-Apr-2013, 08:58 PM
Arrrrgh Zombies. With. Glowing. Eyes. AGAIN!! stoppit! :mad:

zomtom
06-Apr-2013, 06:09 AM
I have had this preordered for months. June cannot get here soon enough. I just hope I'm not disappointed. Maybe I should lessen my expectations.

kidgloves
05-Jun-2013, 08:16 PM
Wow. Eurogamer have given this 10/10 :eek:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-05-the-last-of-us-review

Neil
05-Jun-2013, 08:48 PM
Everyone seems to be giving it full marks!!! Wow - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/the-last-of-us-review - 10/10

easily the game to beat for Game of the Year 2013

Just need a PC port now... Which we'll never get :(

Maybe they'll port it to the PS4, which everyone will at least be buying instead of the XBox One :)

Worse score I've seen so far is 8/10 - http://uk.gamespot.com/the-last-of-us/reviews/the-last-of-us-review-6409197/

kidgloves
13-Jun-2013, 05:26 PM
This game is AMAZING :D

Neil
13-Jun-2013, 05:32 PM
^^ I assume you have it then?

kidgloves
13-Jun-2013, 06:30 PM
Aye. Looks next gen graphics wise. Its beautiful

Mr. Clean
20-Jun-2013, 06:29 AM
Watched one of the walkthrough vids for this. (First 30 mins of gameplay) The storyline is nothing like I thought (or seemed to be lead to believe) which isn't even a bad thing...just left me kind of puzzled....and the gameplay looked enticing. So this game is on my to play list. :)

Neil
23-Jun-2013, 04:23 PM
AICN loves it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63001

...a remarkable story. Yes, it's a "zombie" game, but that almost feels incidental. The power, emotion, and themes of THE LAST OF US are strong, and if people are going to get hung up on how the story is delivered, that's their loss. I'm not here to say whether video games are art. That's not for me to decide, or if there is even a decision to make. THE LAST OF US is, though. It's a compelling story, told with confidence and skill. From the days people gathered around the fire to now, storytelling has always been an art. THE LAST OF US is brutal, ugly, harsh, and in the end quite beautiful. It's a gift to all of us who love stories.

shootemindehead
23-Jun-2013, 08:13 PM
Seriously tempted to pick up a cheap PS3 just for this.

Neil
23-Jun-2013, 09:11 PM
Can you imagine if they now announced an enhanced directors cut (or sequel) for the PS4?

Danny
24-Jun-2013, 01:16 AM
This is probably the best opening to a videogame ive seen since ff7's "getting off the train in midgar" in terms of getting the player immersed in the story from the off.

njp0udtgg6c

shootemindehead
24-Jun-2013, 07:31 AM
Can you imagine if they now announced an enhanced directors cut (or sequel) for the PS4?

It wouldn't surprise me.

God...I hate consoles...

:mad:

JonOfTheShred
24-Jun-2013, 11:12 AM
This is the best game I've played since Red Dead Redemption. Such immense atmosphere, constant tension, amazing plot, top-notch voice acting, addictive gameplay. I hope more games will exist in this universe.

Incidentally, the only reason I picked up a PS3 was Red Dead Redemption....and the only reason I picked up Red Dead Redemption is because I saw it mentioned on this forum.

krisvds
26-Jun-2013, 08:38 AM
This is probably the best opening to a videogame ive seen since ff7's "getting off the train in midgar" in terms of getting the player immersed in the story from the off.

Agreed. Just started playing it last night. What an opening! My wife, who is growing more and more (mature ;) ) disinterested with videogames as the years take hold actually sat up and told me she hadn't expected to emotionally invest in a videogame character ever again... Needless to say there we were passing the controller to and fro, gripped. Great stuff. Last time we played a game together (apart from helping our sons out in the occassional Mario level) was Heavy Rain. This one feels better because it's more of a 'game' and less a QTE 'interactive movie' thing.
Let's hope the game delivers on its intial promise.

Neil
26-Jun-2013, 09:03 AM
Have we had a film announcement yet? Surely it's coming!

kidgloves
27-Jun-2013, 06:10 PM
Have we had a film announcement yet? Surely it's coming!

No need. The game is the movie.
The AI is incredible. Very dynamic.

Morto Vivente
27-Jun-2013, 06:28 PM
Possibly a bit ott but I'm seriously considering the purchase of a PS3 (being a 360 owner with a casual interest in games) before
getting a next gen console in order to play "The Last of Us". Anyone any opinions on whether it's worth it or not?

Danny
27-Jun-2013, 08:55 PM
Possibly a bit ott but I'm seriously considering the purchase of a PS3 (being a 360 owner with a casual interest in games) before
getting a next gen console in order to play "The Last of Us". Anyone any opinions on whether it's worth it or not?

For one game? not really, but theres a fair few ps3 games as good as the last of us like journey, mgs4 and heavy rain to name a few. The system has an excellent number of exclusive if you want something a little less "NICE NO SCOPE BRAH, 420 BLAZE IT NIGGUH!" fps horseshit you get a lot nowadays.

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2013, 10:01 AM
I just watched the opening sequence on YouTube - damn, "dem feels" as Danny is known to say.

I wish this was on the 360, that's for sure!

Rottedfreak
28-Jun-2013, 11:39 AM
Just watch the whole movie on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB5jIhB1Fg0

Mr. Clean
29-Jun-2013, 06:41 AM
getting a next gen console in order to play "The Last of Us". Anyone any opinions on whether it's worth it or not? I dunno about for this game...I bought a refurbished thicker one because I heard the thin PS3 were garbage. I bought mine for MGS4 after the release of MGS:Rising. My son and daughter (ages:4 and 2) love Little Big Planet and I got tired of paying for XBL Gold just for Netflix since I don't play multiplayer that much anymore.

Morto Vivente
29-Jun-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the movie. Three hours is a long time but from what I've heard this game is grade "A" (decent characters, great plot and zombies).

Also going down the refurbished route is something I hadn't considered, cheers! :)

capncnut
30-Jun-2013, 06:28 AM
Do it. I've been playing it this evening when my pal came over with it and guess what? I'm buying a PS3 and a copy of the game at the end of the week. It is the best zombie/virus game I have ever played. Nothing remotely comes close.

shootemindehead
30-Jun-2013, 02:58 PM
Watched the first 20 mins of that game.

Looks better than most films that are being made. The voice acting is really good.

Neil
30-Jun-2013, 10:42 PM
Seems the game was a bit too realistic at times... Some of the phone numbers are sex lines :) - http://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-hidden-phone-sex-numbers-a-mistake-w-586902643

shootemindehead
18-Jul-2013, 12:15 AM
Playing this at the moment.

Have to admit, I'm not blown away. Seems a rather generic, cover based shooter and has some really awkward controls.

krisvds
18-Jul-2013, 06:22 AM
Well, it is a naughty dog game where graphics and overall atmosphere are way more important than actual gameplay/controls. The AI and ropey stealth mechanics become grating after a while ...
Still enjoyed playing it.
But I do find myself growing weary of all these interactive movie, hollywood style productions that are so light on actual gameplay you could finish them with your eyes closed..
Definitely not the best zombie game on consoles though. That would be zombi U or Dead rising (2).

shootemindehead
18-Jul-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeh, I'm getting sick of being duped by this console bollocks to be honest.

It was the same with L.A. Noire. Looks nice, but there's no fuckin game.

This certainly is NOT the 10/10 mind blower that we've been led to believe. I'm about three/four hours in and so far it's been cover, sneek, choke/shoot, cutscene...repeat.

It's a "game" that wants to be a film. Stay tuned for 'The Last of Us - The Movie'

Give me 'Dead Island' any day.

shootemindehead
19-Jul-2013, 09:56 AM
So, I'm about 30%+ into this and it IS getting better. The simplistic mechanics of the game prevent it from being the '"ultra realistic" zombie pandemic for the PS3' (that and the fact that there's no actual zombies in it), but it certainly has improved on the early stages.

What's very good is the voice acting of everyone concerned and the banter between the characters is great. Especially well done, is Ellie and top marks go to whomever did her. But for me there's no real immersion into the world. The fact that it is in a fixed 3rd person perspective goes a long way to destroy that. Why, oh why, do games companies believe that looking over the shoulder of a character is a better option than a full on 1st person view??? It boggles the mind and personally, I have always felt that it's quite a disorientating experience. It's a particular peculiarity of the console generation. Give me a 1st person view any day, or at least the option to go into that view. Why the hell can't that happen? It's only a camera shift.

In it's favour, there have been some tense moments so far. The "clickers" (infected people that have reached a very late stage and are totally blind, but can locate by sound) create great stealth moments. But when they locate you, the shit hits the fan and you're basically fuked.. Unfortunately, there are a lot of sections where they player has to repeat his actions over and over, because detection usually means death. The careful husbanding of ammo is a good addition, but on higher levels it simply means death for the player on a regular basis, again further destroying the realism and quickly becoming very annoying.

One thing that the 'The Last of Us' would've benefitted from would have been real zombies. There's a great 'Walking Dead' feel to the game when the characters get out of the QZ. One area feels like Morgan's little enclave! The infected are an ok antagonist, but they lose their umph quickly and take too many bullets to kill, which is silly. The most enjoyable enemy are other gangs of humans.

So far, it's a 6.5/10. This may rise as the game unfolds. But, the most glaring problem with 'The Last of Us' is that it's really a film masquerading as a game.

shootemindehead
22-Jul-2013, 08:54 AM
So, I finished this last night.

While I wasn't impressed at the early stages, it certainly does evolve into a decent, entertaining game. It's a generally satisfying whole, but it definitely is not worthy of all the 10/10's it's been getting in internetland.

It's sort of a cross between 'Mass Effect' and 'Red Dead Redemption', but with less "game", if you know what I mean.

The game mechanics are very repetitive and they really do not change much from the beginning. The order of the day remains cover, sneek, choke/shoot, cutscene as mentioned earlier.

The story is well written, if a little er..."Roady" as it were, but the various settings are good. The graphic work is superb and it makes you wonder where the PS4 is going to go. But, its extremely linear nature means that exploration is of limited entertainment, as there really is only one way to proceed. 'Oblivion'/'Skyrim' it ain't.

Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10. It's worth picking up. But, knowing what I know know, I'd wait til the price drops.

For those of you expecting zombies...don't. They aren't. Not in the Romero vein anyway and they also tend to become a secondary or even tertiary concern after a while. In fact, the whole game could have gone ahead without them. Fighting the humans was far more enjoyable, but the infected were more dangerous.

CoinReturn
23-Jul-2013, 01:05 PM
Some mighty fine impressions, shootem. I'll definitely buy this at some point, but to hear that the gameplay is so repetitive is kind of a downer.

shootemindehead
23-Jul-2013, 02:25 PM
Think 'Mass Effect' CR, and you're there. It'll be well worth picking up when the price drops.

I hear a sequel is in the works.

Neil
15-Jan-2014, 09:41 PM
DLC coming soon (Feb 14th) - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/your-first-look-at-the-last-of-us-single-player-dlc

f6V0HNNHQK4