PDA

View Full Version : Battleship (film)

Neil
09-Dec-2011, 08:43 PM
YatZXieJsL4

AcesandEights
09-Dec-2011, 10:18 PM
Some folk need to get together and stage a bad movie intervention for Liam Neeson.

Neil
10-Dec-2011, 07:49 PM
Some folk need to get together and stage a bad movie intervention for Liam Neeson.
LOL!

So you don't hold up much hope for this flick?

AcesandEights
10-Dec-2011, 08:24 PM
LOL!

So you don't hold up much hope for this flick?

Well, to be fair, my hopes are so low I could very well be pleasantly surprised, but the basic indicators don't look good to my eye.

Mike70
10-Dec-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, to be fair, my hopes are so low I could very well be pleasantly surprised, but the basic indicators don't look good to my eye.

D-7, Aces.

is that a hit?

AcesandEights
10-Dec-2011, 08:43 PM
D-7, Aces.

is that a hit?

:eek: You sunk my hopes for this film! :eek:

Mike70
10-Dec-2011, 10:23 PM
:eek: You sunk my hopes for this film! :eek:

:lol:

i was actually after your carrier. i guess that could've been carrying your hopes for this film.

and as for neeson's latest work - did he suck shit as zeus or what in "the clash of the titans" remake...

Neil
13-Mar-2012, 06:06 PM
OK! Looking a bit more fun now :)

u7N-33PbR-g

Legion2213
13-Mar-2012, 06:23 PM
Looks like a pure popcorn flick with tasty SFX.

That said, I'm a bit sick of plucky earthmen battling alien invaders, anything that can cross space is gonna f*ck us over in a day or two (unless Will Smith or Michael Ironside are on hand of course)

acealive1
13-Mar-2012, 08:17 PM
how could they really make a battleship movie? we didnt exactly have anymore details when we played the game past "red 7"

JDFP
13-Mar-2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like a pure popcorn flick with tasty SFX.

That said, I'm a bit sick of plucky earthmen battling alien invaders, anything that can cross space is gonna f*ck us over in a day or two (unless Will Smith or Michael Ironside are on hand of course)

+1 for mentioning the Almighty Michael Ironside - one of the greatest and most underrated actors of the last century if you ask me. Whenever I see him in a role I always yell: "Better watch out! That's Michael Freakin' Ironside!"

As far as the film itself - it looks like absolute shit. I have no interest whatsoever. Is this from Michael Bay? Looks like something Bay would do - pure blowing shit up with absolutely no character development.

j.p.

rightwing401
15-Mar-2012, 05:04 AM
While I'm a bit of a sucker for alien invasion flicks, I'm going to have to side with JDFP on this one. The premisis doesn't look too promising, and there really needs to be one damn good explaination as to why one freaking battleship is going to be able to save the world. And since in our current day there isn't a single active duty battleship left in any of the world's navies, I'm still waiting to see what the writers and director's spin on this is. The only way I could even see this film's premisis as being plausible would be if the alien's are so radically advanced and reliant on their techonological edge that they have completely forgotten how to defend themselves against simple ballistic weaponry. (Relying totally on high tech shit that shortens out missle guidance systems and reprograms their onboard computers and stuff, but have no way of stopping oversized bullets and their own vehicles having no real armor designed to withstand such massive hits)

But something tells me that's not going to be the case here. Sigh...

It almost looks like these jokers are trying to capitalize on Battle: Los Angeles' impressive success from last year.

Neil
15-Mar-2012, 09:01 AM
Two words for everyone...

LIAM NEESON!

LouCipherr
15-Mar-2012, 12:08 PM

LIAM NEESON!

C'mon, MZ - Neil opened the door wide for ya.. you just going to stand there or make the joke? :elol:

All I have to say about this movie is...

B-7.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

rightwing401
15-Mar-2012, 12:27 PM
Ted: J-7

*Death scans the board, looks up menicingly*

"A hit! You have sunk my battleship!"

LouCipherr
15-Mar-2012, 06:36 PM
Ted: J-7

*Death scans the board, looks up menicingly*

"A hit! You have sunk my battleship!"

http://www.vb-h.net/dvd/billtedbj06.jpg

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7097&d=1311744368

:D

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2012, 07:34 PM

LIAM NEESON!

C'mon, MZ - Neil opened the door wide for ya.. you just going to stand there or make the joke? :elol:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkx5jddgnE1qzsk7so1_500.jpg

:D

Had to be said ... now back to the thread. :sneaky:

As for Battleship - I've got zero interest in seeing it. Even less specifically because of feckin' Rhianna pretending to be 'in the Navy'. :rolleyes:

LouCipherr
15-Mar-2012, 07:45 PM
....is so big it has it's own knee! :lol:

Yes, it indeed had to be said. I just didn't want to be the one to do so. :shifty: :D

Sammich
15-Mar-2012, 08:26 PM
I hope Neeson signed a package deal and is going to be in the Hungry Hungry Hippos movie next.

Neil
11-Apr-2012, 11:56 AM
Maybe it's not as bad as we fear?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54867

LouCipherr
11-Apr-2012, 12:45 PM
Maybe it's not as bad as we fear?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54867

Oh, I'm sure it is... :lol:

Legion2213
11-Apr-2012, 08:26 PM
Rhiana or whatever she is called seems to have two dozen jobs on that ship...is the USN strapped for personel at the moment?

Neil
17-May-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh Dear!

AICN really does not like it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55798

If BATTLESHIP was only bad, it wouldn't be so bad. Terrible movies happen all the time. Whatever. They can't all be winners. But to be so incredibly moronic… that’s far worse.

MinionZombie
17-May-2012, 06:36 PM
Oh Dear!

AICN really does not like it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55798

How am I not surprised? :p

rongravy
17-May-2012, 07:30 PM
I hope Neeson signed a package deal and is going to be in the Hungry Hungry Hippos movie next.
I'd pay to see that one, for sure!!!
I'm wracking my brain to think of some other off the wall game that would also be hilarious. Give me a moment or three...
That one is kind of hard to top.

Sammich
17-May-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd pay to see that one, for sure!!!
I'm wracking my brain to think of some other off the wall game that would also be hilarious. Give me a moment or three...
That one is kind of hard to top.

There is always Barrel of Monkeys.

EvilNed
17-May-2012, 09:09 PM
Saw it a couple of weeks ago back-to-back with Iron Sky and thought it was ace. One of the better action films Ive seen in the theathers lately.

Neil
18-May-2012, 11:02 AM
Saw it a couple of weeks ago back-to-back with Iron Sky and thought it was ace. One of the better action films Ive seen in the theathers lately.

You've seen Iron Sky? And?

rongravy
19-May-2012, 12:01 AM
The Little Rock paper review gave this a 65% and talked alot of smack about it, not that it'll influence me. I'm not expecting it to be a brainburner, just some good old blowing stuff up kind of fun. They also like to mention the Hasbro tie in alot, mostly not in a good way. Maybe the reviewer lost alot playing it growing up, who knows? I'll see it hopefully this weekend, but not tonight. Tonight is Wrath of the Titans finally. Five bucks, beeotches.

JDFP
22-May-2012, 02:43 AM
I saw it a few nights ago - and you know, I was actually pleasantly surprised. The addition to classic rock (CCR, AC/DC, etc.) actually brings out the "AMERICUHN!" feel of the film that it's really based on as "Yeah, America is #1 against everything in existence!" that it was going for as a film. A scene where they are playing "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC in prepping the battleship actually got my heart going fast in grinning and shaking my head in a "HELL YEAH, YOU ALIEN BITCHES! YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE U.S.A!"

Of course it's a bombastic turn your brain off type of film, but it reminded me quite a bit of "Armageddon" and "Independence Day" - both of which I actually enjoyed as well as other type of films where you turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. What I liked best about the film was the fact that the curmudgeon elder veterans had a chance to prove their worth that they still matter to the nation and that they should be truly respected.

Of course, the film is basically a 2 hour propaganda piece for the Navy. But as a propaganda piece for the Navy it did what it did damn well. "Battleship" is for the Navy what "Armageddon" was for NASA or "Top Gun" for the Air Force. I actually enjoyed the film. No - it's not a great film. But as a big-action blockbuster where you think little and enjoy explosions - it's highly enjoyable.

j.p.

rightwing401
24-May-2012, 05:55 AM
Just got back from seeing the movie this evening. Far exceeded my expectations in the plotline and the incorporation of the battleship game grid. I guess correctly that the aliens had a far easier time engaging the far more technologically advanced ships of our new navy, but were too advanced to have adaquet defenses against a ship that's primary armament is simply big ass guns.

While a great and well thought out story, you do need to turn your brain off for the duration of the movie, otherwise you'll begin asking too many questions, one of the biggest being why an alien advance/pre-invasion force would consist of only five ships, considering it took them about 7 years to make the trip from their world to ours.

EvilNed
25-May-2012, 07:17 AM
You've seen Iron Sky? And?

OffTopic a bit, but:

It was funny, but silly. The people I went with all liked it, but I felt it fell a bit flat towards the end. Also, the protagonists didn't really work. Not sure if a movie succeeds in it's storytelling or not when you start rooting for the nazis.

A good film, but probably not worth a visit to the cinema. Wait for the DVD.

JDFP
25-May-2012, 02:07 PM
Not sure if a movie succeeds in it's storytelling or not when you start rooting for the nazis.

Eh, not necessarily. Cheering for the Wehrmacht or Luftwaffe for example isn't the same thing as cheering for the S.S. after all. Most of the folks in the German military weren't evil S.S. henchmen - just average folks trying to survive like everyone else. And here's a huge exception to your rule in my opinion which is probably the best war film ever made (in my opinion)...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Das_boot_ver1.jpg

j.p.

rongravy
14-Jul-2012, 06:34 PM
Saw it last night alone and liked it. Not a brainbuster by any means, but big and loud. Lots of cool eye candy to look at, too.
It didn't really bother me to not have to think too hard, kind of like watching fireworks/skyflowers, Land of the Dead style.
Who needs Independence Day 2 when this pretty much covers the whole big scale alien invasion scenerio? I liked the aliens, and those hopping ships they cruised around in were way cool. Killer beards.
The John Carter guy was the main character in this. I thought it was kind of funny that he's been in two big budget blockbuster flopozoids this year, even though I liked both.
I'd recommend this on the bigscreen if you can see it cheap. I paid a grand total of zero dollars myself.