View Full Version : "Fatal Attractions" on Animal Planet

Mike70
10-Dec-2011, 04:08 PM
this show freaks me the FOOK out in ways that i find hard to explain. it is about people who keep dangerous/exotic "pets" in their homes then either end up getting killed by them (and in some cases eaten as well) or getting one of their neighbors killed.

the eps. that really creep me out are the ones about people that have large numbers of venomous snakes in their houses. some of these snakes have included kraits, gaboon vipers, mambas, urutus - in short some of the deadliest snakes in the world.

the most fascinating thing about the show is the psychology of the owners who believe that they have some sort of special "bond" with the animal and it won't hurt them. sorry, it doesn't work like that with reptiles. they don't form bonds like a dog or cat can. period and end of discussion. you may love them but they don't, cannot and never will love you. this is esp. true of venomous snakes who have a brain about the size of a lima bean.

one of the eps. dealt with a lady here in cincinnati who had a large collection of venomous snakes in her home. she was bitten by an urutu viper in sep of 2004 and died from it. you know how far from cincinnati you have to go to find the antivenin (more correct term than anti-venom) for an urutu??

i have nothing against snakes. when i see one while hiking, i will check it out. in fact, i think they are awesome, interesting animals but venomous ones don't belong anywhere but in the wild or in a zoo.

the one about the dude that was eaten by his nile monitor lizards is creepy as it gets.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/fatal-attractions/season-1.html

Trancelikestate
10-Dec-2011, 04:30 PM
I've been watching this show a lot cuz my dog likes animal planet haha. I sold all my reptiles recently but that doesn't mean i no longer have an affinity. However since i have gotten older i truly feel they deserve to be in the wild unless youre super rich and can build a massive terrarium and even then i wouldn't go venomous. Who knows what types of personality disorders lead to them doing these things. People who have the big cats are the craziest. Tigers can administer death more swift and cleanly than any other creature ive ever seen. (see video) Gotta respect and leave those things alone man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_fSuuKRxU