PDA

View Full Version : DAWN plaid shirt/airprt zombie

thxleo
18-Dec-2011, 03:04 PM
After many years of searching I finally found Paul Musser from Dawn of the Dead. Paul's first convention appearance will be in March 2012 at the Horrorhound show in Columbus, OH.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/399463_2790289367411_1563671083_32770815_114424094 9_n.jpg

krakenslayer
18-Dec-2011, 08:26 PM
Well this is interesting news! Where has he been hiding all these years?

thxleo
18-Dec-2011, 09:58 PM
Well this is interesting news! Where has he been hiding all these years?

Paul has been here in the Western Pennsylvania region for years. Believe it or not he's never watched Dawn of the Dead. I booked him into his first convention in March and suggested that he finally watch the film!

SymphonicX
19-Dec-2011, 10:34 AM
Which one is he??

hahahaha

thxleo
19-Dec-2011, 01:11 PM
Which one is he??

hahahaha

LOL That's true. I showed the pic to Greg Nicotero and he said I looked more like the zombie from DAWN than Paul does. It has been 34 years since he shot that though.

Thorn
19-Dec-2011, 05:43 PM
How was he dealing the whole concept of "fame", I imagine since he never watched the film it was never something he really hung his hat on. Did he seem taken back at all by the attention?

What has he been doing for a living?

Do you know how he was cast? Was he a friend or a random guy?

Lot's of questions I know but I am just curious, imagine myself in his shoes being a bit creeped out by people like us ;)

AcesandEights
19-Dec-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow, when I say 'excellent find' on these boards it's usually in reference to a clip or a prop, not a whole person!

imagine myself in his shoes being a bit creeped out by people like us ;)

Do you mean you're not already creeped out a bit by people like us :p

Thorn
19-Dec-2011, 06:21 PM
Wow, when I say 'excellent find' on these boards it's usually in reference to a clip or a prop, not a whole person!

Do you mean you're not already creeped out a bit by people like us :p

LOL fair enough!

thxleo
19-Dec-2011, 06:28 PM
How was he dealing the whole concept of "fame", I imagine since he never watched the film it was never something he really hung his hat on. Did he seem taken back at all by the attention?

What has he been doing for a living?

Do you know how he was cast? Was he a friend or a random guy?

Lot's of questions I know but I am just curious, imagine myself in his shoes being a bit creeped out by people like us ;)

Thorn, I grilled Paul with a lot of questions about his scene in DAWN. Unfortunately he has little to no memory of it at all. He did remember flirting with a female on set. He referred to her as the leading lady, which would have been Gaylen Ross. However, I believe he was thinking of Jeannie Jefferies who Savini's girlfriend/assistant on DAWN. He told me that those days were filled with a lot of partying and then he joined the Army not long after that. He was a sax player in Fluid, the band he was in with Mike Christopher(Hare Krishna zombie), and in the U.S. Army. The photo was taken after a private autograph signing I set up with a collector friend of mine. Paul couldn't believe all of the stuff with his likeness on it. I told him that Richard Rubinstein trademarked his head!

Bad Ronald
19-Dec-2011, 10:19 PM
Would have been funnier if the first responder in this thread said "where did you dig him up at"

Thorn
19-Dec-2011, 10:43 PM
Thorn, I grilled Paul with a lot of questions about his scene in DAWN. Unfortunately he has little to no memory of it at all. He did remember flirting with a female on set. He referred to her as the leading lady, which would have been Gaylen Ross. However, I believe he was thinking of Jeannie Jefferies who Savini's girlfriend/assistant on DAWN. He told me that those days were filled with a lot of partying and then he joined the Army not long after that. He was a sax player in Fluid, the band he was in with Mike Christopher(Hare Krishna zombie), and in the U.S. Army. The photo was taken after a private autograph signing I set up with a collector friend of mine. Paul couldn't believe all of the stuff with his likeness on it. I told him that Richard Rubinstein trademarked his head!

Awesome info thanks man, and good work.

Philly_SWAT
20-Dec-2011, 01:23 AM
Two things...
1) The last time I talked to Mike Christopher, I asked him about Paul Musser (O.K. I didnt use the name "Paul Musser", I think I just said the airport zombie that you were in a band with) and what their best band song was, and he said the song was "He is messed up in the head" and gave body language to indicate that the song rocked out.Did it seem like that might be true? And...
2) If Paul was surprised that there was merch. with his likeness on it, I wonder...does he live next door to that guy in the Geico commercial that lives under a rock?

thxleo
20-Dec-2011, 02:49 AM
No, Paul didn't seem to have any mental issues at all. He's a very intelligent guy in fact.
As for not knowing much about the popularity of the film and it's merchandise...some people don't care about this kind of stuff. We are fans and love it, but it was just a lark to him when he was young. He moved on and forgot all about it for the most part.

krakenslayer
20-Dec-2011, 06:53 AM
You shown him the movie yet? Maybe that would dislodge some memories.

It's amazing just how closely he is associated with the film, for someone who spent maybe a day on set and didn't utter a single line. Hell a stylized version of his face is even used on some Day posters too. And he didn't get a penny for it, I'm guessing.

Doc Foster
24-Dec-2011, 11:20 AM
This guy is one of the most iconic figures in modern horror film history, and he wasn't even aware of that?? Unbelievable!!

Anyway, thanks a lot for posting the pic and info.