PDA

View Full Version : North Korea's Kim Jong Il is dead...

Mike70
19-Dec-2011, 02:15 AM
or so the AP, bbc, msnbc, fox, etc. are reporting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693

AcesandEights
19-Dec-2011, 03:17 AM
This could be huge.

I love the comment/contact form at the bottom of the story:

Are you in North Korea? Please send us your comments using the form below.

Bad Ronald
19-Dec-2011, 08:23 AM
What me ineffectual?No sense of timing?
Ask Bin Laden.

I got this.

Taxi O-Force-One stat.
Hawaii here I come.Feet's don't fail me now.

Take care of my light work Leon,you got my # aiiight? peace!!
(chest bump and dap)/sarc

Tricky
19-Dec-2011, 08:36 AM
Well, at least he wont be ronery anymore!

I'd say the next few weeks are going to be interesting there, will the generals be loyal to his successor (his dopey looking chubby son) or will there be a power vacuum which sees them all fighting amongst themselves over who gets to be the boss?

Neil
19-Dec-2011, 09:30 AM
Well, at least he wont be ronery anymore!
Lol!

I'd say the next few weeks are going to be interesting there, will the generals be loyal to his successor (his dopey looking chubby son) or will there be a power vacuum which sees them all fighting amongst themselves over who gets to be the boss?
Got to just hope the outcome is the new leader will lead them forwards and not backwards!

Sammich
19-Dec-2011, 09:33 AM
This is very coincidental.

D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

MinionZombie
19-Dec-2011, 09:39 AM

D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

I was just about to post the same thing. :shifty:

Neil
19-Dec-2011, 10:49 AM
^^ Only a week out with the prediction of when he'd die... They said 2012.

EvilNed
19-Dec-2011, 12:20 PM
Wow, that was a pretty cool trailer. Oh, and this:

http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1324266536834.jpg

Danny
19-Dec-2011, 03:14 PM
pSWN6Qj98Iw

jokes about "you cry or you die" aside, the sheer amount of human wailing from the sound alone if you close your eyes for a second is chilling.

Neil
19-Dec-2011, 03:28 PM
^^ Terrifying such indoctrination can still take place today!

MinionZombie
19-Dec-2011, 04:37 PM

Creepy, right? :shifty:

Incredible really, but at the same time, sadly not incredible. Weeping for a psycho who starved his own people and subjugated them to such terrifying extents ... chilling.

shootemindehead
19-Dec-2011, 04:45 PM
Hardly incredible. Millions wept for Diana too.

?

MinionZombie
19-Dec-2011, 05:53 PM

?

Bit of an ideological and moral gap between the two, mind you. :p

Bad Ronald
19-Dec-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

I also was going to chime in that if the Queen Mum
stroked out and flatlined there would be an equal shortage of facial tissues throughout your island.

You snooze you lose.

Neil
19-Dec-2011, 08:38 PM

?

Ummm, OK, I'll bite - That's rather harsh don't you think? One was a meglomaniac, and the other a 20yr old girl who was thrown in the deep end of the public lime light out of her depth and who probably tried the best she could. Very harsh!

-- -------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

I also was going to chime in that if the Queen Mum
stroked out and flatlined there would be an equal shortage of facial tissues throughout your island.

You snooze you lose.

I have to say, the way you have trouble making a coherant point sort reminds me a lot of an ex-member of this forum. Hmmm... :rockbrow:

Bad Ronald
19-Dec-2011, 09:48 PM
Coherent?

Was that what you meant?
It should be plain to see all I said was :

Crying for a dead ruler is not limited to dictators.
After you made fun of the North Koreans how would you like it If I sprayed naptha on your Diana/Queen Mum memorial full of Teddy bears and wreaths and threw a match then laughed hilariously.

I merely stated tears flow on your island just the same
when Royal Blood is spilled or lost as anywhere else and that shootem beat me to the reply concerning that aspect.

Back to lurking thanks for the lovely welcome
EDIT
Forget it why should I lurk,...warn or ban away.

Mr. Clean
19-Dec-2011, 11:57 PM
Hip Hip Hooray!

Danny
19-Dec-2011, 11:58 PM
Kim Jong Ils final words: "i never did find out what the f*ck the island was in LOST..."

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 09:12 AM
This is an interesting watch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16256747

Kim Jong Ils final words: "i never did find out what the f*ck the island was in LOST..."

That or, 'why was my Godzilla movie so bad?' - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Remembering-Kim-Jong-Il-With-Godzilla-Movie-He-Made-By-Kidnapping-Its-Director-28422.html

Various reports had surfaced over the years describing Kim as a voracious movie lover who demanded immense control over the North Korean movie industry, turning all of the country's films into propaganda pieces. But that's nothing compared to the bizarre story reported by Mental Floss, recalling the bizarre tale of when Kim kidnapped well-regarded South Korean filmmaker Shin Sang Ok and his ex-wife, Choi Eun Hee, and forced them to make movies for North Korea for 8 years. This was before Kim Jong- Il took over leading the country for this father, and when he was supervising the country's film industry; before kidnapping Shin, he had forced 11 Japanese "cultural consultants" into work on North Korea's movies, only to have some of them actually kill themselves rather than continue on. Shin and Choi lived in more luxurious circumstances, making a series of films including what's apparently a half-decent monster movie called Pulgasari. Still, in 1986 they orchestrated an escape in Vienna, plead for asylum, and were able to return to home.

Publius
20-Dec-2011, 09:55 AM

Plus the plot of the Red Dawn remake.

Vaclav Havel of the Czech Republic died the same day. Pity that that should be overshadowed by the tyrant of North Korea. RIP to Mr. Havel, a great leader.

shootemindehead
20-Dec-2011, 10:00 AM
Ummm, OK, I'll bite - That's rather harsh don't you think? One was a meglomaniac, and the other a 20yr old girl who was thrown in the deep end of the public lime light out of her depth and who probably tried the best she could. Very harsh!

Mmmm...no, not harsh at all. The point I'm making is about the people doing the "weeping". You've millions that "Wept" for Diana, the Queen's mother, Michael Jackson and now, Kim Jong Il. My response to MZ's post was more to do with the issue of "indoctrination" of the "weepers", not the personality being "wept" over. North Koreans "weeping" over the death of their country's leader is no more a symbol of "indoctrination" than the same gobshites "weeping" over the death of "The King of Pop".

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 10:06 AM
Mmmm...no, not harsh at all. The point I'm making is about the people doing the "weeping". You've millions that "Wept" for Diana, the Queen's mother, Michael Jackson and now, Kim Jong Il. My response to MZ's post was more to do with the issue of "indoctrination" of the "weepers", not the personality being "wept" over. North Koreans "weeping" over the death of their country's leader is no more a symbol of "indoctrination" than the same gobshites "weeping" over the death of "The King of Pop".
I can understand your point. You could imply that it's simply different flavours of indoctination.

That said, North Korea is a mess. People are starving to death and the individual behind this was also building up one of the worlds largest armies. He was basically murdering his own population. So to compare millions crying over this monster to someone like Diana seems rather unfair IMHO. One was out and out indoctrination, while the other at least had a shred of credibility.

shootemindehead
20-Dec-2011, 10:47 AM
Neither I, or anyone else for that matter, can say for sure what North Korea is truly like. It certainly doesn't seem to be a place where I would like to be, however. But, it's very difficult to know anything for certain about the place, or it's leadership and I'm sure as hell not buying what America or South Korea has to say on the place as there are too many axes being ground from those sources.

As for Kim Jong Il "starving" his people, it makes for a great tabloid copy, but there are many other factors at play in that equation. Laying the blame at his doorstep alone is a bit too convenient for Western commentators. I've no doubt that his rule hasn't been best for North Korean's in general, but there aren't many leaders in the world that I can say have the peoples best interest at heart. So, he isn't alone there. With his death, there is a chance that new leadership values will come to the fore. Who knows.

Also, his army may be large, in relative terms anyway, but it's horribly out of date and with the US and South Korea on your borders with itchy trigger fingers, I don't blame him for building up an army. I'm sure he kept a close eye on events in Iraq, etc over the last ten years.

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 10:57 AM
Neither I, or anyone else for that matter, can say for sure what North Korea is truly like. It certainly doesn't seem to be a place where I would like to be, however. But, it's very difficult to know anything for certain about the place, or it's leadership and I'm sure as hell not buying what America or South Korea has to say on the place as there are too many axes being ground from those sources.

As for Kim Jong Il "starving" his people, it makes for a great tabloid copy, but there are many other factors at play in that equation. Laying the blame at his doorstep alone is a bit too convenient for Western commentators. I've no doubt that his rule hasn't been best for North Korean's in general, but there aren't many leaders in the world that I can say have the peoples best interest at heart. So, he isn't alone there. With his death, there is a chance that new leadership values will come to the fore. Who knows.

Also, his army may be large, in relative terms anyway, but it's horribly out of date and with the US and South Korea on your borders with itchy trigger fingers, I don't blame him for building up an army. I'm sure he kept a close eye on events in Iraq, etc over the last ten years.
Understood, but they have had a famine since Russia stopped propping it up, and it continues to fund a large army. The latter doesn't seem to imply much concern about the former. Also he was clearly balmy, just look at my post about "Godzilla" in #20.

shootemindehead
20-Dec-2011, 02:29 PM
I did, but I tend to take such things with a huge pinch of salt.

As I said, there's little that's known about the country, it's people, or it's leadership...so anything goes in cases of that type where "reporting" is concerned.

Don't get me wrong Neil, I'm not trying to hold the fort for poor old Kim, I couldn't give a toss really, but "the west" has lied to me many many times and I tend not to believe such fancy criticism when it's leveled at such people and or countries. They usually just serve as convenient distractions for western "democracies". Unfortunately, it's become my default position these days as I think it's best, to be honest.

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 02:32 PM

As I said, there's little that's known about the country, it's people, or it's leadership...so anything goes in cases of that type where "reporting" is concerned.

Don't get me wrong Neil, I'm not trying to hold the fort for poor old Kim, I couldn't give a toss really, but "the west" has lied to me many many times and I tend not to believe such fancy criticism when it's leveled at such people and or countries. They usually just serve as convenient distractions for western "democracies". Unfortunately, it's become my default position these days as I think it's best, to be honest.
OK... But can both at least agree we was 'wonely?'

Legion2213
20-Dec-2011, 07:13 PM
A great loss to the golfing world...

-- -------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

You do realise that NK is a prison don't you? A place where the internet and radio is illegal, a place where hundreds of thousands of people are held in forced labour camps, a place where it is considered treason to leave the country without permission. That's why it is so hard to get info from there in the first place

The country is the closest thing to Orwell's "Airstrip One" in reality...I'm not sure how anybody could really think otherwise.

There is a line between being "a bit cynical" of your own western government and being totally closed to the actual evidence of pretty much every human rights group on the planet.

shootemindehead
21-Dec-2011, 09:22 AM
OK... But can both at least agree we was 'wonely?'

NO!

He was ronery...Tricky got it right. :P

Neil
21-Dec-2011, 11:22 AM
NO!

He was ronery...Tricky got it right. :P
Weally? I was sure it was wonely! Doh!

AcesandEights
21-Dec-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm still upset that, as of last night, a "Goodbye Kim Jong Il" Elton John song has not yet surfaced.

shootemindehead
21-Dec-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm still upset that, as of last night, a "Goodbye Kim Jong Il" Elton John song has not yet surfaced.

Jesus...that actually works Aces!

Mike70
21-Dec-2011, 05:24 PM

weeping, crying, boohooing, etc. over the death of politicians and media "figures" is as pathetic as it can possibly get. there is nothing i can think of that is more asinine or childish. there is also nothing that indicates our culture's ridiculous f*cking fascination with "celebrity."

cry for your family members and friends when they die because they loved you as well. cry if you are 8 and your dog gets run over by a car.

don't cry for people who don't know you and, in all likelihood, couldn't have given a shit about you when they were alive.

i have laughed my ass off at the dipshits in n. korea crying in the streets over this fat, weird little despot, just like i laughed at the morons who cried when michael jackson died.

-- -------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

goodbye kim jong il,
maybe you blew up a nuke afterall

Tricky
21-Dec-2011, 05:50 PM
i have laughed my ass off at the dipshits in n. korea crying in the streets over this fat, weird little despot, just like i laughed at the morons who cried when michael jackson died

Thats one of the scenes that really stuck with me after I'd watched the film "Downfall", when Hitler is dead and all those SS soldiers start killing themselves, I suppose there was a lot of this in Berlin in 1945, but I guess with them it was fear of Russian retribution more than it was grief for Der Fuhrer...

shootemindehead
22-Dec-2011, 01:20 PM
Germans committing suicide in 1945 had nothing whatsoever to do with Hitler. After the unjust way Germany was crucified in 1918, many felt that there really was nothing to expect but the worst.

Ironically, the country ended up being propped up by their former Western enemies as a bulwark against Soviet Russia, so Morganthau's plan became the Marshall plan. The Communist devil that the West sold their souls to was no better than the Nazi devil the Red Army had just defeated.

Legion2213
22-Dec-2011, 07:28 PM
Most Germans in the east tried to make their way to the allied controlled parts as well, they knew that the allies would treat them far better than the soviets.

Mike70
23-Dec-2011, 03:03 PM
that sound you heard a couple of days ago was the giant sigh of relief from all of this little weirdos favorite japanese & korean actors and directors.

talk about life being stranger than fiction.

krisvds
24-Dec-2011, 06:02 AM
weeping, crying, boohooing, etc. over the death of politicians and media "figures" is as pathetic as it can possibly get. there is nothing i can think of that is more asinine or childish. there is also nothing that indicates our culture's ridiculous f*cking fascination with "celebrity."

cry for your family members and friends when they die because they loved you as well. cry if you are 8 and your dog gets run over by a car.

don't cry for people who don't know you and, in all likelihood, couldn't have given a shit about you when they were alive.

i have laughed my ass off at the dipshits in n. korea crying in the streets over this fat, weird little despot, just like i laughed at the morons who cried when michael jackson died.

-- -------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

goodbye kim jong il,
maybe you blew up a nuke afterall

I havent. I think most of those 'dipshits' have lived so long under this totalitarian regime that fear more than anything else has them throwing those fits once a camera shows up. That wasn't grief, that was fear. Sad more than anything. Fear is always repression's motor, in every dictatorship.
BTW: if you look at the power the media have over in the neo-liberal west we have our own fair share of problems.

Still, good riddance to that fat creep.