PDA

View Full Version : This Must Be The Place (film)

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 03:34 PM
Ok, this looks different :)

MuvFmg_Ge9k

bassman
20-Dec-2011, 03:49 PM
It looks interesting, but lately I can't shake the feeling that Sean Penn is just playing "out there" characters for Academy recognition....

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 05:20 PM
It looks interesting, but lately I can't shake the feeling that Sean Penn is just playing "out there" characters for Academy recognition....

Exactly what I thought!

JDFP
20-Dec-2011, 06:16 PM
I've had this one in my Netflix queue for some time and I'm looking forward to it. On the bright side, it can't be any worse than Sean Penn's last film ("The Tree of Life") which was one of the worst and most pretentious films I've ever seen in my entire life.

Is it just me or does Sean Penn not look like Robert Smith's and Siouxsie Sioux's love child here?

j.p.

krisvds
20-Dec-2011, 06:26 PM
I've had this one in my Netflix queue for some time and I'm looking forward to it. On the bright side, it can't be any worse than Sean Penn's last film ("The Tree of Life") which was one of the worst and most pretentious films I've ever seen in my entire life.

Is it just me or does Sean Penn not look like Robert Smith's and Siouxsie Sioux's love child here?

j.p.

I disagree. Ambitious? Sure. Flawed? Yep, that too. But also very beautifully shot and poetic. Only for the camerawork this was one of my favourite films of 2011.

Neil
20-Dec-2011, 06:29 PM
I disagree. Ambitious? Sure. Flawed? Yep, that too. But also very beautifully shot and poetic. Only for the camerawork this was one of my favourite films of 2011.

Didn't realise it was even out yet? Worth a watch then!?

JDFP
20-Dec-2011, 06:56 PM

Oh sure, it was beautifully shot and I loved the Wagnerian epics, but those are the only things positive I can say about it (in my opinion of course) - I did find the film to be highly pretentious though as in: "Oh, if you don't get this film you're just not intelligent enough!" or folks arguing: "Oh the film is just SO DEEP!" - sorry, if you sacrifice story for "art" you've lost me and I have no interest in it. I find it to be elitism.

j.p.

krisvds
21-Dec-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh sure, it was beautifully shot and I loved the Wagnerian epics, but those are the only things positive I can say about it (in my opinion of course) - I did find the film to be highly pretentious though as in: "Oh, if you don't get this film you're just not intelligent enough!" or folks arguing: "Oh the film is just SO DEEP!" - sorry, if you sacrifice story for "art" you've lost me and I have no interest in it. I find it to be elitism.

j.p.

But the elitism has nothing to do with the film in itself? I seriously do not like people who treat 'art' as such. It's pointless if you use what someone created to put yourself in a position where you claim to be more intelligent than others just because you 'get it.'
On the other hand; the work in itself should not be dismissed because of these elitist pricks?
I dont mind certain films not putting as much emphasis on story than others myself. If I would I wouldn't be a fan of Argento's Suspiria for example. Though far removed from Malick, Argento himself also puts more emphasis on artisitic effect and atmosphere than on a coherent story.

@ Neill: I think that if you have enjoyed any of Malicks previous films you should give it a shot. I myself did not like all the obvious christian/religious themes but could really dream along with all the wonderful imagery. Even as an atheist I did find beauty in the humanism of the 'story'. THose two boys were portrayed and acted very 'realistic.' To me at least.