PDA

View Full Version : My cats disappeared :(

Neil
28-Dec-2011, 03:09 PM
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6129/dsc2869s.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2474/dsc2808s.jpg

Photos from 5-6 months ago!

Gizmo, the blond one - now 10 months old - disappeared about 2 days ago...

He's be 'done' so he's not out 'dating'... He's got our tel no on his collar and been microchipped, so not been 'found'.

We're on a quiet road, so God knows what's happened to him :(

AcesandEights
28-Dec-2011, 03:27 PM
My condolences. Are they out of the house (ie. outdoor cats) now full time, then?

So his collar's been micro-chipped but it's not picked up when tracked?

Very cute pics :(

Neil
28-Dec-2011, 03:32 PM
My condolences. Are they out of the house (ie. outdoor cats) now full time, then?

So his collar's been micro-chipped but it's not picked up when tracked?

Very cute pics :(Most cats in the UK are out door ones. I think people generally here in the UK see it strange to keep cats indoors.

Yes, telno on the collar and he's been chipped. The chip of course has to be scanned by a vet. It's not like a James Bond tracking device. Although that would be very useful at this moment :(

EvilNed
28-Dec-2011, 03:59 PM
Have hope. He might come back yet. I've had it happened before, even to cats who were snipped.

Otherwise he could have been locked up in any of the neighbours garages. Or had the misfortune of meeting a fox. :(

MinionZombie
28-Dec-2011, 05:41 PM
I hope Gizmo comes back to you safe and sound, Neil.

Tricky
28-Dec-2011, 10:18 PM
We had a ginger one called Brian up until a few months ago, he was a hunter but he still always used to come in for his tea, some fuss and a sleep every day, we dont live near a busy road & he'd also been done but he's vanished too! I dont know if he's been snatched by somebody who decided they wanted him as a pet or if a fox got him, or maybe even been shot by one of the air rifle toting teenagers that live around here, I've scoured the area and not found any trace of him, shame really and I'd like to know what happened! I hope yours turn up anyway Neil!

Neil
29-Dec-2011, 08:26 AM
We had a ginger one called Brian up until a few months ago, he was a hunter but he still always used to come in for his tea, some fuss and a sleep every day, we dont live near a busy road & he'd also been done but he's vanished too! I dont know if he's been snatched by somebody who decided they wanted him as a pet or if a fox got him, or maybe even been shot by one of the air rifle toting teenagers that live around here, I've scoured the area and not found any trace of him, shame really and I'd like to know what happened! I hope yours turn up anyway Neil!Sorry to hear that - I fear the same with my fluff ball...

If someone finds him, our telno is on his collar and he's chipped.

If he's been stolen (in effect) - and he is a very pretty cat - then that's it I fear. He is chipped, but I can't see a vet randomly scanning/checking a cat an 'owner' brings in.

My heart is telling me he's not coming back...

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2011, 06:45 PM
My heart is telling me he's not coming back...

I hope you're wrong, Neil. Cute cats from the pics. That's one of the worst feelings though, and unfortunately I know how it is. I had a dog, a collie, when I was younger (around 13 or so) and during a thunderstorm it busted out of the house through a basement window and was never seen again. :( No idea what happened to him, but it's a horrible feeling.

I hope he comes back, and sometime soon. You just never know...

kidgloves
29-Dec-2011, 07:57 PM
Oh shit Neil just seen this.
Fingers crossed for you mate. Big animal lover here, especially cats.
I've just lost one of my cats to cancer. Nursed the poor soul through chemotherapy but had to let him go before he suffered. Still hurts today. F*cking horrible disease and one im no stranger to unfortunately.
Some people tend to feed cats if they are hanging around especially pretty ones so maybe he's just having a holiday at somebody elses expense. Happens a lot.

JDFP
29-Dec-2011, 08:49 PM
Don't worry, Neil, I'm sure Gizmo will be fine... especially fine with some cajun spice and perhaps some butter dip. :elol:

Seriously though, I hope everything turns out fine for your cat. I despise cats personally - but I'd feel the same way you do if my little dog, Wolf, ended up going missing. It is a horrible feeling and hopefully things will work out. If Gizmo doesn't turn up try to console yourself by believing that Gizmo has found a new home with people who will take care.

j.p.

Neil
30-Dec-2011, 04:07 PM
So Gizmo (or Tarquine as my daughter calls him) as kitten...
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6129/dsc2869s.jpg

Gizmo the day before he disappeared about 3-4 days ago (still playing with his same favourite toy):-
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4311/dsc4073v.jpghttp://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5153/dsc4099s.jpg

I personally don't think we'll see him again :(

Tricky
30-Dec-2011, 09:03 PM
Cats are odd creatures though, if the neighbours put food out for them they'll go and "live" there every now and again, they're only loyal if theres something in it for them unlike dogs who are faithful to the end! One of our other cats used to disappear for a week or so every now and again, then just turn up as if nothing had happened, so don't lose faith just yet! I don't think our Brian is coming back now as months have passed, but yours may well turn up ok

Purge
30-Dec-2011, 09:33 PM
Our cat Tia disappeared a few months ago, too. She was a stray, so I'm hoping that someone took her in and that she wasn't snatched up by a coyote. :*-(

childofgilead
31-Dec-2011, 03:53 AM
Best of luck Neil..we have 5 cats in our tiny apartment and it'd do me in if any of my babies were missing.

Neil
31-Dec-2011, 08:10 AM
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5153/dsc4099s.jpg

I personally don't think we'll see him again :(

I don't generally like being proved wrong about things, but this time I couldn't be happier.

6:30 this morning meooow meooow meooow. I woke up thinking I recognise that sound! The whole family was up in seconds as a Gizmo declared he was back home! His head was soaking wet, but his body was bone dry, and he's got loads of matted fir around his neck, but other wise he's fine. Already taken him down the vet to get him checked over, and all is fine. The vet offered to shave his neck to remove the matted fir, but I couldn't bring myself to make him look stupid, so we'll slowly comb it out.

Got no idea where he's bin, but to have a soak wet head, but a dry body, and loads of matted fir under his collar, maybe trapped under something? Maybe by his collar?

Anyway, I was wrong, he's come back, and I couldn't be more chuffed!

ProfessorChaos
31-Dec-2011, 11:20 AM
awesome neil! glad things turned out for the better. i can't imagine how down in the dumps i'd feel if my pet (dog) ran off and disappeared like that.

MinionZombie
31-Dec-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not really a pet person - but I'm very glad indeed that Gizmo has returned to you safely, Neil! :):cool::thumbsup::cool::)

Excellent news and just in time for New Year's Eve.

kidgloves
31-Dec-2011, 04:00 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Glad he's back mate.
What a beautiful cat as well.;)

childofgilead
31-Dec-2011, 10:17 PM
Celebratory cat linkage!!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/82141440/

bassman
31-Dec-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't care for cats, but I know how strong the connection with an animal can be. I'm glad to see he's back with his family, Neil!

Mike70
01-Jan-2012, 02:53 PM
i've been a cat person my whole life and cats can take some very strange notions in their heads. hell, they might even be getting chow they prefer somewhere else and go on the lamb. i've had several outside cats that have disappeared for days on end before returning. cats are very opportunistic and very capable of taking care of themselves.

so, i'm not surprised that Gizmo is back. i wouldn't be surprised if this was just the first of Gizmo's neighborhood adventures.

i once had a cat so good at manipulating people he had like 3 homes. no shit. damn beast lived like a frickin' king and to be 17 to boot...

MikePizzoff
02-Jan-2012, 05:11 AM
I love cats. Have had tons throughout my lifetime. The Mrs and I currently have 5, but they're all indoor cats. However, when I had outdoor cats they would CONSTANTLY disappear for days at a time. Sometimes they'd be gone for like 7-8 days before returning home (which they then wouldn't go out for days - someone was probably holding them "hostage"). It can be very unnerving.

That said - glad you're cat is back!

ProfessorChaos
02-Jan-2012, 08:53 AM
whoops, meant to include this on my last post and forgot...

this calls for a celebration song:
sP4NMoJcFd4

EvilNed
02-Jan-2012, 10:21 AM
J---aiyznGQ

LouCipherr
03-Jan-2012, 02:35 PM
I was wrong, he's come back, and I couldn't be more chuffed!

Awesome, glad to hear the little one made it back home! :D

AcesandEights
03-Jan-2012, 02:58 PM
It's a Festivus miracle!

Mike70
03-Jan-2012, 09:01 PM
I love cats.

a lot more than most people.

i get cats. people, not so much.

shootemindehead
04-Jan-2012, 04:35 PM
I hate cats, but I'm glad your moggie came back Neil.

I had a dog the buggered off years ago. He didn't come back. :(