PDA

View Full Version : World War Z (film) - A trilogy?

Neil
04-Jan-2012, 12:12 PM
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/la-en-brad-pitt-20120103,0,146902.story

In "World War Z," due in theaters right before next Christmas, Pitt will play a United Nations fact-finder and family man who desperately races around the globe to determine the origins of a zombie pandemic that has toppled civilization in short order. The film is directed by Marc Forster ("Finding Neverland," "Quantum of Solace") and is similar in spirit to September's "Contagion" (from director Soderbergh and starring Damon) with its geo-political bent and the aspiration to deliver social messages amid the moans and screams.

For Pitt, the big sci-fi thriller also represents his strongest bid to have a big film franchise of his own, which might be viewed as the missing piece of his career jigsaw puzzle. Forster and Paramount Pictures each view "World War Z" as a trilogy that would have the grounded, gun-metal realism of, say, Damon's Jason Bourne series tethered to the unsettling end-times vibe of AMC's "The Walking Dead."

bassman
04-Jan-2012, 12:28 PM
that would have the grounded, gun-metal realism of, say, Damon's Jason Bourne series tethered to the unsettling end-times vibe of AMC's "The Walking Dead."

Oh man, this is going to be a fun thread to watch unfold....

http://www.dreamwidth.org/userpic/368483/344719

Thorn
04-Jan-2012, 12:57 PM
Could be good, could be bad... who knows.

Neil
04-Jan-2012, 01:13 PM
Could be good, could be bad... who knows.

Hard to see how it can be made into three (reasonably) self contained movies?

AcesandEights
04-Jan-2012, 01:20 PM
Inb4 Hellsing's Inb4 & Inb4 people tarring and feathering other people with MBAs :p

Oh man, this is going to be a fun thread to watch unfold....

http://www.dreamwidth.org/userpic/368483/344719

Yup, what will be, will be with this project.

Neil
04-Jan-2012, 01:59 PM
Inb4 Hellsing's Inb4 & Inb4 people tarring and feathering other people with MBAs :p
Can I babel fish that? What on earth does that all mean? :)

JDFP
04-Jan-2012, 06:25 PM
How can you make a trilogy about superhuman strength Olympic sprinting "zombies" (term used loosely) who can make humanly impossible raptor-like noises? All of humanity is dead by the first 30 minutes of the first film - are the next two films going to be about zombies running around in sprints and making raptor noises at one another?

j.p.

Rancid Carcass
04-Jan-2012, 07:25 PM
How can you make a trilogy about superhuman strength Olympic sprinting "zombies" (term used loosely) who can make humanly impossible raptor-like noises? All of humanity is dead by the first 30 minutes of the first film - are the next two films going to be about zombies running around in sprints and making raptor noises at one another?

The first film will be about a zombie outbreak and them taking over the world.

The second will be about zombies founding a new society.

The third will about a human outbreak and them taking over the world.

And because the whole thing is infinitely repeatable, it can be rebooted until the ends of time to suit whatever type of zombie happens to be in fashion at the time - runners, shamblers paragliders or intergalactic. Win, win, win! Money, money, money! :D :shifty:

Sammich
04-Jan-2012, 08:49 PM
Making a loveable character like Sharktopus into a trilogy would be much more socially redeeming.

It is very presumptive of Pitt to think that he can create a movie franchise when he has already pissed off most of the existing fan base by making something that is a perversion of the original source material.

IMO there are already too many of these action with no storyline and character development movies filled with the same tired and repetitive slow motion panning effects. There does not need to be ANOTHER one as the last Resident Evil was enough.

Neil
05-Jan-2012, 05:42 PM

j.p.

Please no... No raptor zombies please!

If I go to see World War Z, and in the film someone gets bit, then turns into a zombie in 30 seconds, lets out a dino roar while wearing stupid contact lenses, I'm going to puke on the spot and run out of the cinema!

childofgilead
05-Jan-2012, 05:56 PM
Better get a bucket, you're gonna throw up.

BOBSMITH
15-Jan-2012, 07:44 PM
I've already seen clips. The zombie are super-fast and humans turn zombie within instants of being bitten.

Neil
15-Jan-2012, 07:47 PM
I've already seen clips. The zombie are super-fast and humans turn zombie within instants of being bitten.

Shame... Doesn't seem to feel right does it... But it may still result in a good flick (hopefully)!

Wyldwraith
16-Jan-2012, 12:20 AM
I tend to have a rule,
When the first three things of any tangibility concerning a movie are all bad, I look for 7 more tangible pieces of info on said movie. If I get to 10 and haven't found any good news, I mark it down on my "Meh, I'll catch it when it makes its way to basic cable" list.

As yet, WWZ the movie seems destined to make said list.

Thorn
16-Jan-2012, 01:24 PM
Shame... Doesn't seem to feel right does it... But it may still result in a good flick (hopefully)!

I really wish they would stick to the source material more closely but I am not going to write it off just yet, I like to keep an open mind. While it may not fit neatly into "my dream zombie movie" I don't think anyone could have done right by this material 100% I am going to try to enjoy it for what it is. Hope for the bet, prepare for the worst and not be let down.

blind2d
24-Feb-2012, 01:50 PM
I'll see it, whatever it turns out to be. If it's shit (as seems to be probable) I shall content myself with the excellent book and never watch it again. Or maybe I'd watch Contagium again for comparison. Either way, fun.

Rancid Carcass
25-Feb-2012, 11:53 PM
Or maybe I'd watch Contagium again for comparison.

Or you could just poke yourself in the eye with a pencil - it would be much more humane... :D

Neil
14-Mar-2012, 09:36 AM
Release shifted from December to Summer 2013, with a release date of June 21, 2013.

Thorn
14-Mar-2012, 01:57 PM
It still could be a decent film I think, just a shame the source material is not being followed more closely.