PDA

View Full Version : Darabont's next is 'LA Noir'

bassman
10-Jan-2012, 11:58 AM
No....not Rockstar Games' LA Noire(which i'm currently playing and loving), but a television adaptation of the book 'LA Noir - The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City' (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/frank-darabont-developing-la-noir-tv-show).

L.A. Noir is the true story of a decades-long conflict between the Los Angeles Police Department, under the determined leadership of Police Chief William Parker, and ruthless criminal elements led by Mickey Cohen, a one-time boxer who rose to the top of L.A.’s criminal world. The series is a fast-paced crime drama set in Los Angeles during the 1940s and '50s. It's a world of glamorous movie stars, powerful studio heads, returning war heroes, a powerful and corrupt police force and an even more dangerous criminal network determined to make L.A. its West Coast base.

Darabont:

“Noir is a passion of mine, so I feel blessed to delve into a project that speaks in the hardboiled vernacular,” added Darabont. “John Buntin’s superb book, though non-fiction, is our touchstone and inspiration for the stories we’ll be telling, weaving fiction throughout the facts and facts throughout the fiction. The book provides elements that are irresistible, a big canvas with endless possibilities. The goal is to deliver on the tone that the title L.A. Noir promises: a smart, gritty, authentic, period noir drama. Also a blessing is the warm welcome we’ve gotten from Michael Wright and TNT, a great bunch of folks with huge enthusiasm for the source material. The best bonus of all is getting to work with my friend Mike De Luca. He’s terrific, a tremendously smart and talented producer, a gem. Partnering with him on this marvelous project after knowing him for so many years is an absolute treat for me.”

I will definitely tune in. Anything Darabont does is gold as far as I'm concerned. I'm just really shocked to see him returning to TV after AMC gave him the shaft on The Walking Dead....

MinionZombie
10-Jan-2012, 04:54 PM
Well I'll be watching this, I'm sure.

That whole era and setting is fascinating (as it was in Rockstar & Team Bondi's "L.A. Noire" - glad you're enjoying btw bassman :)), so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it. :cool:

It's a real shame that Frank's leaving from AMC happened the way it did. He was going to move on from it anyway, but it would have been so much better if it had happened under good circumstances. It's a shame that TWC - which is a superb piece of programming - has had a few troubles along the way behind the scenes ... at least they're still producing quality episodes though. It's the best thing to happen in zombies since 1985.

Anyway, this "LA Noir" sounds right up my street. :)

AcesandEights
10-Jan-2012, 05:16 PM
Damn, now I have to re-watch L.A. Confidential. Wait, that's actually a good thing :D

MinionZombie
10-Jan-2012, 05:35 PM
Damn, now I have to re-watch L.A. Confidential. Wait, that's actually a good thing :D

I got it on Blu-Ray last year and the extras really made me appreciate it even more. It's a remarkably good film. :cool:

AcesandEights
10-Jan-2012, 06:36 PM
I got it on Blu-Ray last year and the extras really made me appreciate it even more. It's a remarkably good film. :cool:

You may have just made a blu-ray sale. Do you happen to recall if there is a good commentary track, MZ?

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2012, 09:46 AM
You may have just made a blu-ray sale. Do you happen to recall if there is a good commentary track, MZ?

I haven't listened to the commentary personally, but here's a snippet from Blu-Ray.com's review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/LA-Confidential-Blu-ray/947/#Review

Cast and Crew Audio Commentary: Rather than producing an unwieldy group commentary, Warner has assembled a collection of individual interviews that, quite frankly, offer in a far more focused and engaging experience than a traditional commentary is able to provide. It's also an incredibly informative track that covers nearly every aspect of the original novel, the production, and the final film. Among the various voices are actors Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Basinger, Kevin Spacey, James Cromwell, David Strathairn, and Danny DeVito, author James Ellroy, screenwriter Brian Helgeland, editor Peter Honess, director of photography Dante Spinotti, production designer Jeannine Oppewall, costume designer Ruth Myers, producer Michael Nathanson, film critic and historian Andrew Sarris, and more. The only downside is that director Curtis Hanson is nowhere to be found; a strange omission rectified only by his participation elsewhere on the disc.

I've watched all the other extras though, and I'd definitely recommend you pick it up, moreso as a big fan of the flick. :cool:

bassman
01-Jun-2012, 12:41 PM
Darabont is looking to his friend Thomas Jane to play mobster Bugsy Siegel (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/frank-darabont-wants-thomas-jane-for-tnts-la-noir).

Thomas Jane is the f*cking man! So seeing him play this notorious gangster has drastically increased my excitement for this show.

Also in the cast is Jon Bernthal(TWD), Neal McDonough, Milo Ventimiglia, Jeffrey DeMunn(TWD), Andrew Rothenberg(TWD), and Simon Pegg guest stars in the pilot.

This may have me more excited than TWD season three, honestly...

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm definitely up for this big style ... but I'm more excited for season three of TWD, personally. :)