PDA

View Full Version : Romero's Greatest Decade?

Mr.G
11-Jan-2012, 06:30 PM
Good old GAR has been directing since the 1960's. With that in mind, which decade would you consider his Golden Age?

1960's - NOTLD
1970's - There's Always Vanilla, Season of the Witch, The Crazies, Martin, DOTD
1980's - Knightriders, Creepshow, Day of the Dead, Monkey Shines, Tales from the Darkside
1990's - Two Evil Eyes, The Dark Half
2000's - Bruiser, Land/Diary/Survival of the Dead

Andy
11-Jan-2012, 07:19 PM
Good question.. Id have to say 1960's personally as night is not only my favourite GAR movie but my favourite movie ever.

bassman
11-Jan-2012, 07:37 PM
It's definitely a toss up between then 70's and 80's, but I think i'm going to have to go with the 80's. There were great stories in both decades but the 80's films are probably one step ahead for the better effects and technical filmmaking aspects. Romero really came into his own and honed his craft in the 80's, imo.

EvilNed
11-Jan-2012, 07:58 PM
80's. Day of the Dead and Creepshow are amongst my favourites.

AcesandEights
11-Jan-2012, 10:40 PM
Good question!

I'm leaning towards 80s, but it's a hard call for me to make.

Mr.G
11-Jan-2012, 11:20 PM
It was tough for me too because I love Knightriders. IMO it feels more like a 70's movie and not part of the 80's.

Philly_SWAT
11-Jan-2012, 11:51 PM
Even though Dawn is my favorite of all Romero movies, I had to vote for the 80's on the strength of the entire lineup. Clearly, that group of movies is far superior to the overall group of the seventies. But if I could only watch one Romero movie for the rest of my life, Dawn would be the one.

paranoid101
12-Jan-2012, 02:40 AM
80s by a long way.

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2012, 10:17 AM
I opted for the 1970s - but the 1980s aren't far off by any means.

The 1970s had The Crazies, Martin, and most importantly of all - Dawn of the Dead.

The 1980s on the other hand did have Knightriders, Creepshow and Day of the Dead ... so it's a very close call between the two, but because I adore Dawn of the Dead so much, that's what pips it. :)

Thorn
12-Jan-2012, 05:34 PM
I have to go with the 80's, even though my two favorite films are outside of this era, I think his offerings from the 80's stand up the best under scrutiny, and ultimately the test of time.

Neil
14-Jan-2012, 05:44 PM
It's definitely a toss up between then 70's and 80's, but I think i'm going to have to go with the 80's.
I'd have to agree I think, as IMHO Day is the best produced and darkest zombie flick ever made! Dawn is certainly the most atmostpheric and interesting though, but Day's production beats it for me.

Tricia Martin
14-Jan-2012, 05:59 PM
I voted 60s because Night started it all...but I honestly love his movies from each of the decades. Damn though- the 80's has more awesome choices than the others. But yeah- Night started it all...

Andy
15-Jan-2012, 04:12 PM
I voted 60s because Night started it all...but I honestly love his movies from each of the decades. Damn though- the 80's has more awesome choices than the others. But yeah- Night started it all...

*High-Fives*

I was beginning to think i was alone in my love of NOTLD!

Thorn
15-Jan-2012, 04:15 PM
*High-Fives*

I was beginning to think i was alone in my love of NOTLD!

Night is my sentimental favorite, it was my first and it will always have a place in my heart. I spent some time with Dawn ad my favorite and my go to film, now I view Night as my favorite and I tend to watch Dawn much less (watch Day more actually).

Andy
15-Jan-2012, 04:29 PM
Dawn was my first romero movie as a child and i loved it back then, but i find i nitpick and enjoy it less and less everytime i watch it, its got the point where its fallen to the bottom of the trilogy for me, i watch day more than dawn now but still i find im getting the same with that, i enjoy day less than i used to, id rate fulci's zombi (zombie flesh eaters) higher than both of those films.

NOTLD on the other hand really strikes something with me, im not sure why but i still say its romeros best movie to date and i enjoy it as much now as i did years and years ago.

Thorn
18-Jan-2012, 01:00 PM
Dawn was my first romero movie as a child and i loved it back then, but i find i nitpick and enjoy it less and less everytime i watch it, its got the point where its fallen to the bottom of the trilogy for me, i watch day more than dawn now but still i find im getting the same with that, i enjoy day less than i used to, id rate fulci's zombi (zombie flesh eaters) higher than both of those films.

NOTLD on the other hand really strikes something with me, im not sure why but i still say its romeros best movie to date and i enjoy it as much now as i did years and years ago.

Nope I totally understand that, and can relate on many levels. I really am watching Dawn more and more fro ma critical point of view than fro ma fan boy point of view and critically it just has a lot of holes. As a rapid fan boy, camping out in a mall and all the other adventures still resonate but , yeah it just doesn't stand up under a critical eye.

Doc
18-Jan-2012, 04:08 PM
In what terms are we grading the decades?

1. In whatever films as an individual, I personally enjoy?

2. The quality of writing and production standards?

3. Which decade spewed out the most consistently great films?

If were going by, just entertainment standards then defiantly the 80's as, I know I can watch all those films in a marathon. Their top-notch 80's cheese, but actually very well made for what they are! As for as quality and consistency goes though that just varies from decade to decade. Romero can make something very brilliant, but has the tendency to make alot of mediocre or just 'ok' films before getting into another brilliant one.

rongravy
19-Jan-2012, 12:57 AM
I went with the 80's, I think the gore effects of those days were a match made in heaven for GAR.
I love Dawn still, but it doesn't scare the bejesus out of me like it did back in the day as most of the FX are cheesed, with the exception of Stephen at the end.
I'd crap my pants if I was waiting for an elevator and when it opened up, he shambled out.