PDA

View Full Version : MZ's Top 50 Films of All-Time - the 2012 update!

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2012, 06:11 PM
Back in May 2009 I posted a list of my Top 50 films - and I've finally got around to completely re-writing it (10 brand new entries, various re-rankings, and nowhere near as waffly as it was back in 2009).

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-top-50-films-of-all-time-2012-update.html

Enjoy and hit me back with your views! :)

AcesandEights
12-Jan-2012, 06:24 PM
You had to break it up into three links, eh...youse gonna get carpal tunnel syndrome for sure, MZ :p

Scanning to see which Zack Snyder joints made the list :D

-- -------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Excellent list, however...did I miss Raiders?

Also, you removed The Warriors? I can't dig it :|

shootemindehead
12-Jan-2012, 07:34 PM
For a second there, I was going to come on and rip you a new one for not putting 'Day of the Dead' in...

...then I looked again.

You're off my shit-list, Flyboy.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/Gary%20Klar%20Steele.jpg

bassman
12-Jan-2012, 07:44 PM
Nice to see some "oddball" choices like High Fidelity and The Burbs. I love those flicks.

Also....good call on saying Ghostbusters was your Star Wars. Same here.

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2012, 10:18 AM
You had to break it up into three links, eh...youse gonna get carpal tunnel syndrome for sure, MZ :p

Scanning to see which Zack Snyder joints made the list :D

-- -------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Excellent list, however...did I miss Raiders?

Also, you removed The Warriors? I can't dig it :|

The 2009 list was spread out over like 6 or 7 posts and was much longer ... this list is 3 posts and 5,000 words. :D

I do love Raiders, and it's a great film, but it just couldn't sneak into the Top 50 or the 10 Honourable Mentions for me personally. Likewise with The Warriors, with 10 new additions, 10 had to come out completely, and again - The Warriors is an excellent film - but it just couldn't quite get in there for me personally.

For a second there, I was going to come on and rip you a new one for not putting 'Day of the Dead' in...

...then I looked again.

You're off my shit-list, Flyboy.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/Gary%20Klar%20Steele.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: It's just too great a flick to not include! :)

Nice to see some "oddball" choices like High Fidelity and The Burbs. I love those flicks.

Also....good call on saying Ghostbusters was your Star Wars. Same here.

High Fidelity is a new addition since 2009 - I rediscovered it after the original list was compiled and went nuts over it. Watched it on VHS, then saw multiple pieces of it as it was playing on Sky Movies at the time, then I watched it again like a week later on Sky Anytime ... and then I think I saw it yet again about a month afterwards also on Sky Movies ... ... then I read the book. So yeah, I got into that flick in a big bad way.

And hell yeah - the Star Wars movies have always been there, but they never made a big impact upon me. Now - Ghostbusters was practically a religion when I was a kid - and still to this day it's utterly incredible. I still have a shedload of the action figures and vehicles tucked away in boxes in the garage. :)

Star Wars on the other hand - the new three were meh, and the original three I refuse to watch again (haven't seen them in sooooooooooooooo long) until Lucas puts out the untampered versions in a restored form in anamorphic widescreen with the original aspect ratio. Until then I ain't watching Star Wars, Empire, or Jedi.

To me, Ghostbusters was my Star Wars - it was all about the movies, the TV show, and the action figures when I was a kid. It was the hugest thing to me - much like how huge Star Wars to numerous pop culture commentators and contributors I've seen interviewed about it over the years (e.g. Kevin Smith, Simon Pegg et al) ... so yeah, Ghostbusters was my Star Wars. :cool:

Neil
13-Jan-2012, 10:41 AM
Star Wars on the other hand - the new three were meh, and the original three I refuse to watch again (haven't seen them in sooooooooooooooo long) until Lucas puts out the untampered versions in a restored form in anamorphic widescreen with the original aspect ratio. Until then I ain't watching Star Wars, Empire, or Jedi.Empire has hardly been touched at all has it by Mr Lucas? ie: It still remain basically true to the cinematic version?

wayzim
13-Jan-2012, 11:54 AM
Back in May 2009 I posted a list of my Top 50 films - and I've finally got around to completely re-writing it (10 brand new entries, various re-rankings, and nowhere near as waffly as it was back in 2009).

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-top-50-films-of-all-time-2012-update.html

Enjoy and hit me back with your views! :)

MZ, all I can say is Wow.

From a guy who's seen almost a half century of movies ( first run, in the theatres ) I can't find fault with any of your selections.

Of all the choices, I find myself quoting Ghostbusters the most in everyday situations - so Kudos for that (Great Thinkin there, Ray )

Of the classics, I too prefer Casablanca over Citizen Kane, if anything that it's also highly quotable, and Ingrid Brigman ( in addition to her performance )was simply frackin amazing to look at. Also, Claude Rains as the most amoral of screen characters ('Round up the Usual Suspects. ' ) - kick ass.

If I might suggest that the original ' The Thing From Another World. ' be included beside Carpenter's vision? Though both films went in opposite directions, the 51 tale was a more straight ahead actioner, it made a serious impact on my movie fan psyche.
The insanely logical plot and the eerie score by Dimitri Tiomkins, along with the crisp sexual dialog between Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan(Brash Bold, Howard Hawksian style heroine who looked awesome in a sweater ) TTFOW is the perfect film for any age.

Scott Pilgrim, can't say enough on how fun this film was, as the eighties gaming sound effects took me back to my art school days in Philly, pumping quarters into Defender or Star Castle on our lunch break at the corner arcade. It was also endless arguments with a bud over the merits of Day vs the Friday The 13th franchise, which he prefered the latter as Romero's Zomb Pic was just too realistic for him.

I'm gonna have to revisit your list several more times, but again - well done.

Wayne Z

"You played it for HER, you can play it for me. "
(as nowhere in Casablanca did anyone tell Sam to 'Play it Again. ' )

Neil
13-Jan-2012, 12:04 PM
I also agree with much of the list. Although for me some notable omissions personally would be:-
- Spartacus and/or Ben Hur
- The Italian Job
- Jaws
- The Day The Earth Stood Still
- Twelve Angry Men
- The Battle Of Britain

Guilty pleasure or worth a mention films:-
- Uncle Buck
- The Man With Two Brains
- The Princess Bride
- Shawshank Redemption
- The Exorcist
- The Incredibles
- Tron
- Blue Thunder
- The Great Escape
- The Abyss
- Conan

EvilNed
13-Jan-2012, 04:30 PM
While I respect your opinion and I like a lot of those films, aren't almost all of those films either from America or based on America cinema?

Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are great. But are they top 10 films of all time material? I just have a hard time taking that seriously.

I do realize I'm coming off as a pretentious dick here, but where's Wages of Fear? Once Upon a Time in the West? The Seventh Seal? And those are the more "famous" ones. Heck, not even The Seven Samurai made the list, or any other of Korusawa's masterpieces. Ran being a personal favorite of mine. Friday the 13th Part IV and Grindhouse make the list, but not The Downfall or Come and See?

I'm not above Pop corn cinema. The Matrix would make my list for sure and many of John Carpenter's films as well. Probably a few of the Mad Max films as well. My favourite TV-show? Star Trek. I hope you see my point here. I'd like to see a list with some expanded horizons.

Neil
13-Jan-2012, 04:58 PM
While I respect your opinion and I like a lot of those films, aren't almost all of those films either from America or based on America cinema?.
It's MZ's personal list. So he doesn't really have to account for his preferences, although he does try to explain them :) I think his list is pretty fair and there's nothing particularly outlandish in there. Don't personally get the "Adventureland" love though :)

I also cannot see how any British individual cannot have "The Italian Job" in their list. Should be deported for that! :)

shootemindehead
13-Jan-2012, 05:27 PM
...or 'Get Carter', or 'The Long Good Friday', or...

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2012, 07:31 PM
Empire has hardly been touched at all has it by Mr Lucas? ie: It still remain basically true to the cinematic version?

"Hardly been touched" isn't untouched - it's all or nothing, Neil! :D:lol::D

MZ, all I can say is Wow.

From a guy who's seen almost a half century of movies ( first run, in the theatres ) I can't find fault with any of your selections.

Of all the choices, I find myself quoting Ghostbusters the most in everyday situations - so Kudos for that (Great Thinkin there, Ray )

Of the classics, I too prefer Casablanca over Citizen Kane, if anything that it's also highly quotable, and Ingrid Brigman ( in addition to her performance )was simply frackin amazing to look at. Also, Claude Rains as the most amoral of screen characters ('Round up the Usual Suspects. ' ) - kick ass.

If I might suggest that the original ' The Thing From Another World. ' be included beside Carpenter's vision? Though both films went in opposite directions, the 51 tale was a more straight ahead actioner, it made a serious impact on my movie fan psyche.
The insanely logical plot and the eerie score by Dimitri Tiomkins, along with the crisp sexual dialog between Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan(Brash Bold, Howard Hawksian style heroine who looked awesome in a sweater ) TTFOW is the perfect film for any age.

Scott Pilgrim, can't say enough on how fun this film was, as the eighties gaming sound effects took me back to my art school days in Philly, pumping quarters into Defender or Star Castle on our lunch break at the corner arcade. It was also endless arguments with a bud over the merits of Day vs the Friday The 13th franchise, which he prefered the latter as Romero's Zomb Pic was just too realistic for him.

I'm gonna have to revisit your list several more times, but again - well done.

Wayne Z

"You played it for HER, you can play it for me. "
(as nowhere in Casablanca did anyone tell Sam to 'Play it Again. ' )

Thanks for the kind words Wayne Z - and nice nod to one of the most misquoted lines of movie dialogue ever. :) Indeed, while I greatly appreciate Citizen Kane and its contribution to cinema, and recognise it as a real achievement, I much prefer Casablanca. I find much more soul, sadness and redemption in Casablanca.

In terms of The Thing From Another World - it's interesting you mention that, I was just having a conversation with friends elsewhere on the net only a week or two ago about that very movie when I shared my thoughts on the 2011 movie. I've only seen the 1951 flick once - but I remember being impressed - and of course the thing is with these lists is you can only have one flick in each slot, hehe, it's a good rule to keep otherwise my "Top 50" would have been three times the size. :)

I also agree with much of the list. Although for me some notable omissions personally would be:-
- Spartacus and/or Ben Hur
- The Italian Job
- Jaws
- The Day The Earth Stood Still
- Twelve Angry Men
- The Battle Of Britain

Guilty pleasure or worth a mention films:-
- Uncle Buck
- The Man With Two Brains
- The Princess Bride
- Shawshank Redemption
- The Exorcist
- The Incredibles
- Tron
- Blue Thunder
- The Great Escape
- The Abyss
- Conan

I've not seen Spartacus or Ben Hur, or Twelve Angry Men, or The Battle of Britain. However The Day The Earth Stood Still was very good, Jaws is a classic, and The Italian Job is also a classic (and a British classic to boot) - but they don't rank as one of my Top 50 favourite movies of all time. It's the trouble with these lists, you have to leave off so many great films - and I found that time-and-again - but I had to stick to films that have come back to me repeatedly over my lifetime, or hold a very special place in my heart, and not just titles I greatly respect ... so it's a bit of a loss one way, but a gain in the other ... besides, you can't please everyone, and practically everyone's gonna say to you "but what about [X]?!" :p

Guilty pleasures - well, I wouldn't call them guilty ... but anyway, I love Uncle Buck (I recently re-watched it after years away from it and found it to be a brilliant film still to this day - I used to watch it so much as a kid). Shawshank Redemption ... damn, that's a good one that totally slipped my mind :o ... do I smell a 2013 update coming on? :shifty::D ... ... The Exorcist - finally saw it last year for the first time, but the experience was quite spoiled because I'd seen all of the stand-out parts multiple times thanks to various documentaries and film list shows (good film though) ... The Incredibles is spiffing (but WALL.E is where it's at for me) ... I prefer Tron Legacy to Tron, personally, but I certainly respect the former ... The Great Escape (another classic) - The Abyss is good too, and I've not seen Conan, Blue Thunder, The Man With Two Brains, or *double take* The Princess Bride... :shifty:

While I respect your opinion and I like a lot of those films, aren't almost all of those films either from America or based on America cinema?

Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are great. But are they top 10 films of all time material? I just have a hard time taking that seriously.

I do realize I'm coming off as a pretentious dick here, but where's Wages of Fear? Once Upon a Time in the West? The Seventh Seal? And those are the more "famous" ones. Heck, not even The Seven Samurai made the list, or any other of Korusawa's masterpieces. Ran being a personal favorite of mine. Friday the 13th Part IV and Grindhouse make the list, but not The Downfall or Come and See?

I'm not above Pop corn cinema. The Matrix would make my list for sure and many of John Carpenter's films as well. Probably a few of the Mad Max films as well. My favourite TV-show? Star Trek. I hope you see my point here. I'd like to see a list with some expanded horizons.

It's important to remember that this is a personal list of my all-time favourites - I could have made that clearer in the initial description, I admit (as I had done so in the 2009 list - perhaps I'll add that caveat in in due course) - so it's all films that have been the most prominent in my personal life, or the ones that I love the dearest.

It's definitely not what I perceive should be the best films of all-time in general though - I'd never even attempt that, and nor should any one individual (it'd have to be subject to a wide poll-taking ... indeed to get anything close to a true representation you'd have to poll so wide it'd be impractical, hehe). So in other words I apologise for the lack of clarity on what the list is representing - I'll definitely add that little caveat to the post, and thanks for responding thoughtfully to the list. :)

I did think that this list would make my viewing seem limited, and while I've not seen all the films you mention, I was very impressed with Yojimbo many years ago when I saw it, Downfall is a remarkably good film, Once Upon A Time in the West is superb (but I prefer The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly over it).

It's all personal opinion and it's always going to be the case that someone finds fault in your list - but being that it's a personal list of favourites then it's all subjective - I absolutely adore Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, but you don't rank them as high as me - but that's just how it goes. Opinions vary wildly.

Just off the top of my head, some more varied films that left an impression upon me - that immediately spring to mind - would include (as I've already said) Yojimbo, Downfall, Ichi The Killer, Battle Royale, The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, The Best Years of Our Lives, Nosferatu, The Sweet Hereafter, numerous short films I saw during my film degree (e.g. on the Canadian & Quebecois Cinema course - specifically "Neighbours" from 1952) ... and then my mind starts going a bit soft (I'd need to dig out my list of films I own and scan through it for more example). However, again it comes down to personal all-time favourites being the key agenda for this list. :)

It's MZ's personal list. So he doesn't really have to account for his preferences, although he does try to explain them :) I think his list is pretty fair and there's nothing particularly outlandish in there. Don't personally get the "Adventureland" love though :)

I also cannot see how any British individual cannot have "The Italian Job" in their list. Should be deported for that! :)

The Italian Job is a great film, it's just not a Top 50 persona favourite for me ... but damn you, Neil - you totally pointed out to me how I forgot about The Shawshank Redemption! I love that movie!

What's not to love about Adventureland? It makes me feel all rosily wistful... :)

...or 'Get Carter', or 'The Long Good Friday', or...

*shifts awkwardly in his seat* ... I've not seen either of those movies! :o

However - I do keep a look out for them to see if they roll around one of the movie channels (they haven't yet though).

wayzim
14-Jan-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm going to say something about The Abyss, in that unlike other Fx Heavy movies, they never ovewhelmed the actors - rather it was the reverse. A small tidbit is that Orson Scott Card had been tagged to do the novel, and he wrote these incredible preambles to the three main characters (Bud, Lindsey and Coffey ) which dealt with childhood and career.

They were so good, that Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Michael Biehn used them as the basis for their roles.
Little things, like Lindsey telling Bud to turn on his side as the other half of a couple would, the expression of loss as Lindsey first tries to explain to Bud what she saw rise up from out of the abyssal trench. Coffey actually having a brief second of reality before his final crash n burn.
And, of course, the whole scene in the moonbay when they struggled to revive Lindsey (had me weeping manly tears, for sure. )

So another fun trip down memory lane regarding this film. When Dad(God Rest Him.) and I were watching The Abyss, Dad; who was a Systems Manager with RCA at the time, listened to the parts where folks were calling Lindsey a Bitch.
He turned to me at that moment and said - "She's not a Bitch, she's an engineer. "
You can't get a better endorsement than that.

Wayne Z
"You never walked away from anything in your life! Now fight! "
(That weepy moment )

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2012, 01:50 AM

You simply must check out Get Carter. Epic Michael Caine :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2012, 11:38 AM
You simply must check out Get Carter. Epic Michael Caine :thumbsup:

Oh I definitely want to - just waiting for it to swing around on the movie channels sometime. :)

Neil
14-Jan-2012, 02:06 PM
I've not seen Spartacus or Ben Hur, or Twelve Angry Men, or The Battle of Britain.
O M G !

Twelve Angry Men is obviously the odd one out in those four flicks, it's a tiny drama set in a room. The other three of course are huge action romps done before CGI offered easy (easier) cut'n'paste effects. You have to admire those three films for the mammoth production mountains they had to climb alone, but to only do that would be to ignore the great drama and acting and story also in there.

Spartacus and/or Ben Hur would have to be in my top 50 list. And The Battle Britain might also sneak in there if only how proud it makes you to be British :)

bassman
14-Jan-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah dude....you need to see Ben Hur as soon as possible. Incredible flick. One of my top ten, actually.

Neil
14-Jan-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah dude....you need to see Ben Hur as soon as possible. Incredible flick. One of my top ten, actually.

It's obviously dated in some ways now (being over 50yrs old), but even so, it's just epic in every sense of the word possible :)

Wonder if they'll ever dare make a cinematic remake?

I actually think Spartacus has aged better than Ben Hur. It comes across less 'hammy' and doesn't suffer from religious undertones. I have trouble choosing which I prefer...

shootemindehead
14-Jan-2012, 05:20 PM

However - I do keep a look out for them to see if they roll around one of the movie channels (they haven't yet though).

*goggle eyes popping out of head*

Good lord man!

Do yourself a favour and rent both. A good night in. The best British gangster films ever made.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2012, 05:59 PM
*goggle eyes popping out of head*

Good lord man!

Do yourself a favour and rent both. A good night in. The best British gangster films ever made.

Mark my words, friend - I'll get them watched.

Also - a little follow-up post on the whole movie list thing:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-follow-up-to-my-personal-top-50-most.html

EvilNed
16-Jan-2012, 08:23 PM
I read and am satisfied with your response MZ. Even if your list scares me a little bit and is a perfect example of just how americanized some of the western world has become.

In the near future I am going to compose a list of my own, including some of the cinematic masterpieces I feel are missing (and ditching Friday the 13th Part IV ;) ).

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2012, 08:52 PM
I read and am satisfied with your response MZ. Even if your list scares me a little bit and is a perfect example of just how americanized some of the western world has become.

In the near future I am going to compose a list of my own, including some of the cinematic masterpieces I feel are missing (and ditching Friday the 13th Part IV ;) ).

Does this now mean I'm off the KGB's watch list? :sneaky: j/k ;)

Personal favourites is personal favourites at the end of the day. Whatever each person loves in their cinematic treats is fine by me, and the trouble always is there's so many movies out there you can never possibly see them all ... but just think of all those people who think Date Movie/Meet The Spartans/Disaster Movie are funny. :eek: Now that there is the bottom of the cultural barrel...

Sometimes it's about grabbing my attention ... there was all this talk about "The Host" (the Korean monster movie) and I watched it, but I've gotta say, I didn't dig it. I was bored off my arse for half the time - but to each their own. Then you have something like Downfall, which to most people is only known via those re-subtitled YouTube videos, and I thought that was a spiffing film. Just tip-top - I wouldn't watch it at the drop of a hat, any time of the day, but it's a great piece of dramatic filmmaking.

EvilNed
16-Jan-2012, 10:02 PM
It's not so much what movies one places on their list that bugs me (Ghostbusters or Meet the Spartans make no real difference to me in this particular instance), but rather a... (how can I say this without sounding like a pretentious dick sitting on a high horse?)... "narrow world view". I'm not looking for those exact words, but something along those lines.

Maybe, just maybe, because I know you dabble in film, I had expected a more international variety of influence. Who can say. Maybe I'm just wrong. Maybe this is how the world looks. Maybe people just don't know or care about this stuff.

Bottom line is: Democracy doesn't work!

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2012, 09:54 AM
Well as I've said, that Top 50 list was personal favourites - the sorts of flicks I could watch at any time at the drop of a hat - ones I just love and enjoy above all others and beyond all reason really. I've studied and own a much wider variety of films, and while I respect or greatly admire many of them, they're not my most favourite-favourites or they don't hold some sort of deeper personal meaning or nostalgic value.

It just comes down to grabbing my attention - there's so many films all competing for your attention, plus the myriad of stuff you are passionate about (in my case - the horror genre), and there just isn't the time - plus the fact that there's a whole lifetime to watch movies so you can't have seen them all. Over time your viewing habits grow larger and larger - but the time dedicated to it gains competition from elsewhere, such as TV drama, which has just exploded since The Sopranos came out. So yeah - if my attention is grabbed by it, then chances are I'll see it, but there's so much competing for my attention, including the sorts of movies I love above all others ... then of course there are plans to see particular works in the future - for example I want to see some of Werner Herzog's films in due course (his earlier work I mean, because I have seen his version of Bad Lieutenant, and his documentary Encounters At The End of the World).

Perhaps era and genre have more sway over me personally than nationality does, but that doesn't mean the latter is excluded.

krisvds
17-Jan-2012, 12:29 PM
Well as I've said, that Top 50 list was personal favourites - the sorts of flicks I could watch at any time at the drop of a hat - ones I just love and enjoy above all others and beyond all reason really. I've studied and own a much wider variety of films, and while I respect or greatly admire many of them, they're not my most favourite-favourites or they don't hold some sort of deeper personal meaning or nostalgic value.

It just comes down to grabbing my attention - there's so many films all competing for your attention, plus the myriad of stuff you are passionate about (in my case - the horror genre), and there just isn't the time - plus the fact that there's a whole lifetime to watch movies so you can't have seen them all. Over time your viewing habits grow larger and larger - but the time dedicated to it gains competition from elsewhere, such as TV drama, which has just exploded since The Sopranos came out. So yeah - if my attention is grabbed by it, then chances are I'll see it, but there's so much competing for my attention, including the sorts of movies I love above all others ... then of course there are plans to see particular works in the future - for example I want to see some of Werner Herzog's films in due course (his earlier work I mean, because I have seen his version of Bad Lieutenant, and his documentary Encounters At The End of the World).

Perhaps era and genre have more sway over me personally than nationality does, but that doesn't mean the latter is excluded.

Believe me, you are in for a treat. The early Kinski collaborations are wonderfull. Do see Aguire as it is one of the best 'adventure' films ever made. And you will love his 'Nosferatu'. Try to get the original versions and not the dubs. Saw Cobra Verde the other night in a horrible english dub. Don't go there.
That being said, it's not for everyone. Some find those films too artistic/pretentious. They are obviously mistaken ;)

Oh, and no love for Kurosawa? Seven samurai? Hidden fortress?

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2012, 06:00 PM
Believe me, you are in for a treat. The early Kinski collaborations are wonderfull. Do see Aguire as it is one of the best 'adventure' films ever made. And you will love his 'Nosferatu'. Try to get the original versions and not the dubs. Saw Cobra Verde the other night in a horrible english dub. Don't go there.
That being said, it's not for everyone. Some find those films too artistic/pretentious. They are obviously mistaken ;)

Oh, and no love for Kurosawa? Seven samurai? Hidden fortress?

Again - personal most-favourite favourites that I could watch at any time at the drop of the hat that I've enjoyed & loved the most in my life. :sneaky:;)

Sheesh - can't please you people! :lol::p:lol:

Seriously though, from all the stuff I've read about Herzog - and from interviews I've seen (including the infamous one with Mark Kermode in L.A. when he was shot by "not a significant bullet" :eek::lol::eek:) - he seems like a very fascinating filmmaking figure. Aguire and Fitzcaraldo are both at the top of my 'Herzog films to watch' list. It's all on the 'to do' list - I'll get around to them sooner or later like most other things. :cool::)

krisvds
17-Jan-2012, 06:27 PM
Again - personal most-favourite favourites that I could watch at any time at the drop of the hat that I've enjoyed & loved the most in my life. :sneaky:;)

Sheesh - can't please you people! :lol::p:lol:

Seriously though, from all the stuff I've read about Herzog - and from interviews I've seen (including the infamous one with Mark Kermode in L.A. when he was shot by "not a significant bullet" :eek::lol::eek:) - he seems like a very fascinating filmmaking figure. Aguire and Fitzcaraldo are both at the top of my 'Herzog films to watch' list. It's all on the 'to do' list - I'll get around to them sooner or later like most other things. :cool::)

Hehe. Your list is very nice. Just fun flicks all 'round. I remember my dad taking me to the theatre to see Aliens. I was 13 and my mind was blown! Only in the eighties did the Belgian authorities allow children to see stuff like that on the big screen. Good times.