PDA

View Full Version : Eraserhead - my second viewing, 12 years after the first time...

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2012, 06:07 PM
In 1999 I watched David Lynch's 1977 debut for the first time ... it took me the best part of a year to watch the whole film ... 12 years later I return to give it a second look.

David Lynch’s 1977 debut – Eraserhead – was my first introduction to the man’s uniquely idiosyncratic work. In the summer of 1999 I was fifteen years old and I was on holiday in Scotland with my family. During those couple of weeks we visited Edinburgh, and being a film-mad teen I was eager to scour the shelves of HMV and Virgin Megastore (back when the latter still existed).

At this point DVD was still a long way from taking over VHS, so the landscape in these stores was dominated by the reassuringly sturdy forms of video cassette boxes. With money to burn (relatively speaking), my eyes grew wide at a special offer – three videotapes for £15 – and I duly selected three titles: Graveyard Shift (Ralph S. Singleton, 1990), Evil Ed (Anders Jacobson, 1995), and Eraserhead... ... ...

Follow the link to read the rest:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/feature-re-entering-nightmare.html

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/feature-re-entering-nightmare.html

It's one of those films that many have talked about for a long time, but as you'll read I proffer my take on the flick's themes.

Discuss, good folks of HPOTD... :)

Neil
18-Jan-2012, 09:58 AM
I've not seen it in a loooooong time, but I must admit being tempted to subject myself to it again now :)

MinionZombie
18-Jan-2012, 10:17 AM
I've not seen it in a loooooong time, but I must admit being tempted to subject myself to it again now :)

I think you should, Neil - I think you should. :cool:

rongravy
19-Jan-2012, 12:41 AM
I've seen it on the shelf for years, but I've always wondered if it was worth watching. I guess I'll get it sometime and finally check it out.
I'm still mad at him for ruining that Duran concert awhile back they showed on Youtube. He was just trying too hard to be weird, methinks.