PDA

View Full Version : UK/Irish people who are or have recently passed their driving licence...

LoSTBoY
28-Jun-2006, 09:40 PM
I need a little info on my provisional licence.

I got it back in 2003 for ID rather than driving, however I'm finally going to use it to learn to drive so I can get myself a decent job.

I've heard however that more recent provisional licences are only issued after you take the theory test, rather than needing a provisonal to take the test itself.

I came across this page (http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html) which mentions it:

Since the commencement of the Driver Theory Testing Service on 11 June 2001, a theory test certificate must be obtained before a first provisional licence is granted. You may not apply for a third provisional licence unless you can provide evidence that you have (a) undergone a driving test in the two-year period prior to the application or (b) evidence of a forthcoming test date. A two year provisional licence will be granted if you provide evidence you have undergone a driving test, and a one year provisional licence will be granted if you submit evidence of a forthcoming test date.

I got my provisional about 4 months before this rule, so I'm not sure.

However, I'm hoping this only applies to Ireland rather than Great Britan, as the page is gov.ie.

EDIT: Sorry, should have looked harder there, went to book a provisional online and it doesn't mention any theory test first.

Still, I would like this confirmed.

Any tips when I start the practical?

Andy
28-Jun-2006, 09:48 PM
never heard of that one... but i passed my test and started driving about 3 years ago :p

Danny
28-Jun-2006, 11:56 PM
you think thats wierd andy ive heard rumors of birtish guys having to wait till there 24 as of next year to get one while girls remian 18.

debate away but i think that stupid youll still get drink driving, in fact even though males are more crash prone females are mutch worse binge drinkers so the balance is gonna be lost man!

as for the certifaicate thing thats news to me, but my freinds taking his now so ill ask him.:)