PDA

View Full Version : MZ's Movie Review Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

MinionZombie
19-Jan-2012, 04:53 PM
Rather than post my thoughts on varous movies separately and talk about them all in a way that's scattered all over the forum, I figured it'd be a good idea to collect them all together in one place, and from time to time I'll post up new reviews that I've done.

You fine folks can chip in with your thoughts on the movies, or perhaps you'll read about a movie that takes your interest. Anyway - to get things started...

The Thing (2011):
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/thing-matthijs-van-heijningen-jr-2011.html

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011), Young Frankenstein, Silent Night Deadly Night 2, and The Green Hornet:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-new-year.html

The Informers, The Ward, and Rango:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/triple-bill-mini-musings-80s-nuthouse.html

Killer Nun (Giulio Berruti, 1979) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/killer-nun-giulio-berruti-1979-dvd.html

bassman
19-Jan-2012, 06:27 PM
I haven't seen the Swedish version, but was quite pleased with Fincher's Tattoo. While the movie itself was great in typical Fincher excellence, I just can't forget the opening sequence. As I've mentioned to you before, it felt like the best James Bond intro ever. Only...ya know....not. Throw in the cool cover of Immigrant Song and it was a very memorable part of the movie.

I too recently saw Rango and LOVED it. It felt so rare to see a great cgi childrens film that didn't have the word PIXAR and Luxo junior bouncing across the screen. Lots of good laughs for the adults, as well.

And I know i've said it to you before, but dude....I just don't see how you're just now viewing Young Frankenstein. That movie has been engraved in my brain for as long as I remember. Easily the best of Brooks' work. Blazing Saddles comes a close second. You have seen other movies from Brooks, right? :p

MinionZombie
19-Jan-2012, 06:43 PM
Bass - aye I agree on the opening of Fincher's Tattoo - it was superb. Great music, superb visuals - the perfect way to open the movie ... can't wait to see that sequence again (and perhaps a little featurette regarding it?) on the Blu-Ray that'll I'll inevitably purchase for it.

Yeah, I was really impressed with Rango - right up there with Pixar in my view - and it was surprisingly at ease with killing off characters. Not in a light-hearted way, but it also didn't tip-toe around the darker elements of the plot, which I thought made it all the more impressive.

And yes - I have seen other Mel Brooks movies (including Blazing Saddles) ... you cheeky monkey. :sneaky::D:lol::p So many movies, so little time ... what movies haven't you seen that you really should have by now? I'm sure there must be something we'll all gasp at - come on, 'fess up. :elol:

wayzim
19-Jan-2012, 09:04 PM
Bass - aye I agree on the opening of Fincher's Tattoo - it was superb. Great music, superb visuals - the perfect way to open the movie ... can't wait to see that sequence again (and perhaps a little featurette regarding it?) on the Blu-Ray that'll I'll inevitably purchase for it.

Yeah, I was really impressed with Rango - right up there with Pixar in my view - and it was surprisingly at ease with killing off characters. Not in a light-hearted way, but it also didn't tip-toe around the darker elements of the plot, which I thought made it all the more impressive.

And yes - I have seen other Mel Brooks movies (including Blazing Saddles) ... you cheeky monkey. :sneaky::D:lol::p So many movies, so little time ... what movies haven't you seen that you really should have by now? I'm sure there must be something we'll all gasp at - come on, 'fess up. :elol:

But - But - next to Blazing Saddles and The Original Movie Version of The Producers (I'll put Kenneth Mars' Nazi against Will Farrell's Nazi - in a grudge cage match, and we'll see who comes out alive. ), Young Frankenstein ( that's Frawnken steen ) is the most spot on movie Brooks has ever made. And the hysterical cameo by (Hey you know who that was behind the old man beard - Right? ) moment - as well as Those Great Knockers ( Thank you Doctor ) Woof!

Better late then never, now walk this way - no, This - Way.

Wayne Z
"Because my grandfather's work was Doo Doo! "

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2012, 04:21 PM
Review of Sergio Martino's excellent giallo flick "Torso: Carnal Violence" - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/torso-sergio-martino-1973-dvd-review.html :)

-- -------- Post added 21-Jan-2012 at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was 20-Jan-2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

Review of Aldo Lado's deliciously dark 'rape and revenge' movie "Night Train Murders" - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/night-train-murders-aldo-lado-1974.html :)

And folks of HPOTD - feel free to join in on this thread to post reviews and thoughts of movies you've seen recently. :cool:

Neil
21-Jan-2012, 05:49 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Which should I watch then? The original or the remake?

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2012, 05:57 PM
Which should I watch then? The original or the remake?

Hmmm ... well, I dug them both and I think they're both worth seeing ... as for which to see first, now that's a toughie. You could perhaps get the Swedish film on DVD for quite cheap and see that first ... but then again the American one is still in cinemas right now. They both do some things slightly differently, but there's many things the same about them - they're different angles on the same source, if that makes sense. Whichever one you watch second you'll know what's going to happen in advance ... so all-in-all, I'd say see the Swedish one first as it was the first version (and I'm sure you can nab it for cheap, or indeed rent it readily).

Neil
21-Jan-2012, 07:52 PM
Hmmm ... well, I dug them both and I think they're both worth seeing ... as for which to see first, now that's a toughie. You could perhaps get the Swedish film on DVD for quite cheap and see that first ... but then again the American one is still in cinemas right now. They both do some things slightly differently, but there's many things the same about them - they're different angles on the same source, if that makes sense. Whichever one you watch second you'll know what's going to happen in advance ... so all-in-all, I'd say see the Swedish one first as it was the first version (and I'm sure you can nab it for cheap, or indeed rent it readily).
I've also been told I need to read the book first?

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2012, 11:18 AM
I've also been told I need to read the book first?

Not necessarily - I watched both versions and haven't read any of the books - my Dad has read them all, so he did provide little bits of filler information here and there, but even without that I still understood what was going on just fine.

If you're the sort of bloke who likes to read the book first and then see the film, then you might want to do that, but on the other hand if you're not necessarily fussed either way then see the Swedish film first.

-- -------- Post added 27-Jan-2012 at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 22-Jan-2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

Limitless, and The Adjustment Bureau:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/double-bill-mini-musings-your-brain-on.html

Both not perfect, but both jolly good fun.

-- -------- Post added 29-Jan-2012 at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 27-Jan-2012 at 11:27 AM ----------

Red State, and Drive:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/double-bill-mini-musings-catching-up-on.html

I loved both of them - but what did you folks make of them?

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jan-2012, 06:42 PM
Liked Limitless

Hated Red State

Loved Drive

Enjoyed Real Steel

Thought In Time was just ok...

Haven't seen The Adjustment Bureau

Liked Killer Elite

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2012, 11:51 AM
The Woodsman, and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01/double-bill-mini-musings-polar.html

The former stars Kevin Bacon as Walter, a paedophile on parole, and the latter is so goddamned boring...

Anyone here seen either of these flicks?

-- -------- Post added 06-Feb-2012 at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was 30-Jan-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

The Ghost, and One Crazy Summer:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02/double-bill-mini-musings-february-2012.html

The former is a pretty decent Roman Polanski thriller starring Ewan McGregor - and includes a role played by Jon Bernthal, TWD fans - and the latter is an utterly barmy 'romantic farce' which was summed up back in the day as 'Better Off Dead Goes To The Beach'.

bassman
06-Feb-2012, 12:44 PM
Just catching up with your review of Drive. Nicely done.

I've just watched the film for the third time this past weekend. Still loved every second of it and even picked up on some things that I had missed before.

I absolutely adore Drive. Possibly my #1 film of last year. Definitely in the top five...

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2012, 06:30 PM
Just catching up with your review of Drive. Nicely done.

I've just watched the film for the third time this past weekend. Still loved every second of it and even picked up on some things that I had missed before.

I absolutely adore Drive. Possibly my #1 film of last year. Definitely in the top five...

Aye, like I was saying in the blog post, had I seen this movie in 2011 it would have easily been in my Top Ten 2011 flicks - but as it was I was a bit later to the game as I ended up having to wait for the home video release, and while the UK Blu-Ray is shafted on the extras front (the Q&A does have some interesting moments - even if the moderator gets in the way too many times - but I wanted some featurettes, but alas no...) it looks absolutely lovely on BR. Such a stylish flick, and I really dig how the central love story is so chaste and innocent - like I was saying, a meeting of hands on a gear stick is far more electrifying in this movie than a sweaty hump up against a wall or whatever could have ever been.

AcesandEights
06-Feb-2012, 06:48 PM
Wow, One Crazy Summer...You were certainly back digging in the crates to pull this one out, MZ! I always liked the movie, though it's been awhile since I sat through it (it's been popping back up again on basic cable the last year or two though). It's fun and pretty decent, but I think pretty pedestrian for an 80s flick with the likes of Cusack.

Have you ever seen The Sure Thing, MZ? If I had to choose between those two 80s Cusack films, being probably the two of his more forgettable 80s teen fare (where he had the starring role), I'd probably lean towards the Sure Thing nowadays, but it's been a dog's age since I sat through either.

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow, One Crazy Summer...You were certainly back digging in the crates to pull this one out, MZ! I always liked the movie, though it's been awhile since I sat through it (it's been popping back up again on basic cable the last year or two though). It's fun and pretty decent, but I think pretty pedestrian for an 80s flick with the likes of Cusack.

Have you ever seen The Sure Thing, MZ? If I had to choose between those two 80s Cusack films, being probably the two of his more forgettable 80s teen fare (where he had the starring role), I'd probably lean towards the Sure Thing nowadays, but it's been a dog's age since I sat through either.

hehe, yeah it happened to swing by on TCM so I recorded it and gave it a spin - kind of a one-watch-pony type of thing, but perhaps if I was a teen in 1986 (when in fact I was a toddler) I'd have enjoyed it more or found more in it ... like I always say, if it's got Cusack in it, it's worth seeing.

I've not seen The Sure Thing though, but I'll keep an eye out for it - I see it's got Daphne Zuniga from Spaceballs and The Fly II in it - another reason to keep an eye out for it. :)

-- -------- Post added 13-Feb-2012 at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-Feb-2012 at 10:59 AM ----------

I come over all nostalgic now as I flash back to February 1999 when Channel 4 broadcast their "Censored" weekend, which further cemented my love of so-called 'extreme cinema' (video nasties et al) - there's a bunch of video clips included; introductions from UK film critic Mark Kermode (who some of you might recognise from the documentary "Scream and Scream Again"):

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02/horror-movie-memory-lane.html?spref=fb

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2012, 06:07 PM
Pumpkinhead, Red Scorpion, and Faster:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02/triple-bill-mini-musings-going-old.html

AcesandEights
21-Feb-2012, 06:32 PM
OMG, MZ...you sat though Red Scorpion? Were you drunk...or out of bullets?

Such a good general idea for an action film (sovietski shootem up), but oh, man the execution :barf:

clanglee
22-Feb-2012, 08:05 AM
Ohhhh. . .One Crazy Summer!! I loved that movie! Not as much as better off Dead but just great wacky 80's fun. Apparently Savage Steve Holland is doing nothing but TV directing now. . mostly kids stuff. . .which is weird, but kinda makes sense. MZ if you ever get a chance you should watch his other movie and complete the trilogy. . .so to speak. How I got Into College is his weakest offer, but still fun.

-- -------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Inspired me to change my avatar!

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2012, 07:04 PM
OMG, MZ...you sat though Red Scorpion? Were you drunk...or out of bullets?

Such a good general idea for an action film (sovietski shootem up), but oh, man the execution :barf:

haha! It was only because I saw that Arrow were putting out a release of it, and it just happened to be on Moves4Men, so I gave it a spin out of interest - but yeah - goddamn it gets really boring in the second act. Starts off well, ends well, but the whole middle bit is so ponderous and relatively low key, and it just doesn't suit this movie at all. The sequence with the truck and Long Tall Sally playing was really good fun, and the final set piece at the Soviet camp was great fun too, but the rest was so slow (even with interspersed orgies of explosions and bullets).

Ohhhh. . .One Crazy Summer!! I loved that movie! Not as much as better off Dead but just great wacky 80's fun. Apparently Savage Steve Holland is doing nothing but TV directing now. . mostly kids stuff. . .which is weird, but kinda makes sense. MZ if you ever get a chance you should watch his other movie and complete the trilogy. . .so to speak. How I got Into College is his weakest offer, but still fun.

Yeah I preferred Better Off Dead to One Crazy Summer as well ... will keep an eye out for How I Got Into College for the future. :)

The man certainly had a very unique style in his movies, I'll say that, but then coming to the flicks long after the fact, and not being at the right age for them to really mean anything to me, makes them curios rather than anything more. I could imagine them being fond memories for those who were teens when they were released though.

-- -------- Post added 23-Feb-2012 at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 22-Feb-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

Fright (1971, Peter Collinson):
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02/fright-peter-collinson-1971-movie.html

A review of the classic British horror movie which predates many of the genre elements that would become synonymous with the slasher sub-genre - and it's got the lovely Susan George in it. :cool:

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah I preferred Better Off Dead to One Crazy Summer as well ... will keep an eye out for How I Got Into College for the future. :)

Aw, man. Good call from Clang on this one and I agree with you, MZ. Better Off Dead stands on its own in the pantheon of 80s teen flicks, not at the top, but still stands out and stands its own ground.

MoonSylver
23-Feb-2012, 10:40 PM
One Crazy Summer: Bobcat Goldthwait as Godzilla = One of the greatest events in motion picture history:

5_quEnXKEVw

r4wJMvw_ra4

As a lifelong Godzilla fan, that's some funny shit. :lol:

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2012, 09:45 AM
Moon - you're damn right - Bobcat as Godzilla was the stand-out sequence in that movie for me.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2012, 04:58 PM
All in the Game (Gary Ugarek, 2011):
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03/all-in-game-gary-ugarek-2011-review.html

The latest film from our fellow HPOTD'er DjfunkmasterG - full review with screenshots.

Barton Fink, and The Company Men:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03/double-bill-mini-musings-march-2012.html

DjfunkmasterG
03-Mar-2012, 02:26 AM
All in the Game (Gary Ugarek, 2011):
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03/all-in-game-gary-ugarek-2011-review.html

The latest film from our fellow HPOTD'er DjfunkmasterG - full review with screenshots.

GREAT REVIEW MZ, Thanks for taking the time to sit through my genre shift. Glad you enjoyed it. Micaiah is ecstatic about it too.

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2012, 05:06 PM
GREAT REVIEW MZ, Thanks for taking the time to sit through my genre shift. Glad you enjoyed it. Micaiah is ecstatic about it too.

It certainly stuck in my head - I've been thinking about it since I watched it, so that's a good thing indeed. :)

Aye - Micaiah was utterly mental in the movie (in a good way, of course) - everytime he just flipped out and did his thing was awesome, and a great counter balance to Clanton and Irizarry's more calculating performances - the latters were like chess players with an edge, while the former was like the muscle, the back-up brute swinging his mace and looking to crack skulls and take names.

-- -------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Dellamorte Dellamore (Michele Soavi, 1993) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03/dellamorte-dellamore-michele-soavi-1993.html

Replete with a bunch of screenshots, this is a DVD review of the brand new 2012 DVD release (first time ever on UK DVD, and by Shameless Screen Entertainment) of what is commonly known in English speaking countries as The Cemetery Man. Enjoy. :)

DjfunkmasterG
04-Mar-2012, 02:11 AM
It certainly stuck in my head - I've been thinking about it since I watched it, so that's a good thing indeed. :)

Aye - Micaiah was utterly mental in the movie (in a good way, of course) - everytime he just flipped out and did his thing was awesome, and a great counter balance to Clanton and Irizarry's more calculating performances - the latters were like chess players with an edge, while the former was like the muscle, the back-up brute swinging his mace and looking to crack skulls and take names.[COLOR="Silver"]

That was the intent, and with every day of shooting I just kept asking him to be more intense... and try to have a very short fuse. My favorite scene is in the beginning when they take down the other crew and when a member from the other crew shoots at him he throws his bat and hits him dead on, and says "F*CK WRONG WITH YOU SHOOTING AT ME!!!!"

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2012, 09:57 AM
That was the intent, and with every day of shooting I just kept asking him to be more intense... and try to have a very short fuse. My favorite scene is in the beginning when they take down the other crew and when a member from the other crew shoots at him he throws his bat and hits him dead on, and says "FUCK WRONG WITH YOU SHOOTING AT ME!!!!"

hahaha, yeah, I loved that bit. :D

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2012, 05:37 PM
"Senna", and "F":
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03/double-bill-mini-musings-racers-hoodies.html

The Bafta-winning documentary about the Formula 1 driver who died at Imola in 1994, and an entry in the British 'hoody horror' sub-genre.

paranoid101
11-Mar-2012, 08:14 PM
Just watched Senna on friday on sky, loved it, not really a follower of F1 but the film is outstanding.

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2012, 10:56 AM
Just watched Senna on friday on sky, loved it, not really a follower of F1 but the film is outstanding.

Aye. I've never really watched F1, it seems like such a huge 'world' (if you will) to access ... like not getting into a TV show because there's been like 200 episodes before you find out about it ... but I do respect it and can easily find it fascinating with all the technological tweaking and so on. As I said, the best documentaries can take a laymen and allow them to experience the same thrills as an impassioned follower of the subject matter. I got really wrapped up in the Senna doc once it got rolling, and the filmmakers did a great job of tying it together as a narrative too - particularly his evolving relationship with Alain Prost as his main rival, and the internal politics of F1.

A spiffing doc, and no doubt put on Sky Movies just in time for the coming 2012 season of F1 - along with Sky's new F1 channel, which is no doubt seeking to capitalise on the popularity and success of the Senna doc.

I've never really been one for watching sport though to be honest. I did follow the rally season that saw Colin McRae win for the first time in 1995 however. Cutting out press clippings and watching it every night on TV etc, but yeah, never been much into sport in general, be it motor racing or rugby or what have you. Maybe I'll dabble more in F1 this season...

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2012, 05:28 PM
Super, and Elektra Luxx:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/double-bill-mini-musings-shut-up-crime.html

The former is actually quite good fun (from James Gunn, btw) and the latter is a massive pile of pretentious horse shit.

And yes, I will be getting to Weird Science pretty soon. :lol:

-- -------- Post added 25-Mar-2012 at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was 24-Mar-2012 at 08:10 PM ----------

Weird Science, Your Highness, and Love & Other Drugs:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/triple-bill-mini-musings-weird-high-and.html

Yep - finally got around to Weird Science. Loved it. :D

Neil
25-Mar-2012, 06:09 PM
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/triple-bill-mini-musings-weird-high-and.html

Can you imagine if the tables had been turned and if some grown bloke have been taking showers with two 15yr old girls? How that wouldn't have been tolerated...

bassman
25-Mar-2012, 07:00 PM
Can you imagine if the tables had been turned and if some grown bloke have been taking showers with two 15yr old girls? How that wouldn't have been tolerated...

:lol:

Yeah....totally different outcome.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Weird Science, MZ. I was kinda shocked you hadn't seen it sooner. I'm not sure how tv programming works on your side of the pond, but hardly a month goes by without Weird Science airing here in the states. It's like a regular staple of weekend afternoon movies.

I regularly quote Bill Paxton's character. So many funny lines. Paxton was born to play those kinds of roles(as James Cameron saw and later utilized). Also, no mention of Oingo Boingo? Shame on you. :p

Neil
25-Mar-2012, 07:19 PM

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Weird Science, MZ. I was kinda shocked you hadn't seen it sooner. I'm not sure how tv programming works on your side of the pond, but hardly a month goes by without Weird Science airing here in the states. It's like a regular staple of weekend afternoon movies.

I regularly quote Bill Paxton's character. So many funny lines. Paxton was born to play those kinds of roles(as James Cameron saw and later utilized). Also, no mention of Oingo Boingo? Shame on you. :p

..and would you believe... http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20301963_20297762_20470154,00.html

bassman
25-Mar-2012, 07:23 PM
I wonder if he still has that pubescent squeaky voice. :p

MinionZombie
26-Mar-2012, 09:49 AM

haha! I know, right?!

Total teenage male fantasy mind you ... but the sweet-natured version ... in reality she'd probably just be a sex robot!

True, I did forget to mention Oingo Boingo, but speaking of that track, I've had it on my playlist for years - so I'm very familiar with that song - indeed it's been stuck in my head since the subject was brought up a week or so ago. :D

I've seen it now-and-then on TV over here, but I've always noticed when it's nearly over, and oftentimes it's around late afternoon - so it'd be cut - so what's the point? Fortunately I got to see it uncut yesterday. :)

I wonder if he still has that pubescent squeaky voice. :p

It's a squeaker, alright, isn't it?!

LouCipherr
26-Mar-2012, 12:25 PM

YES! About time, man! Told ya you'd love it. :D

Neil
26-Mar-2012, 01:14 PM
YES! About time, man! Told ya you'd love it. :D

How did Steven Seagal ever manage it?

AcesandEights
26-Mar-2012, 02:04 PM

Yay! Glad to hear you got to see it. Weird Science was one of those movies that HBO and their competitors had a hard-on for in the 1980s and I literally must have seen it a hundred times growing up.

the girls (Judie Aronson, and Suzanne Snyder - whom I finally discovered I recognised from Return of the Living Dead Part II).
Good catch, MZ...I've only ever watched Return II a handful of times (though I did have the dubious honor of seeing it in the theater) and never would have caught this.

Also, glad you enjoyed Love & Other Drugs, I found it pretty well done, myself.

bassman
26-Mar-2012, 02:55 PM
I haven't had the chance to see Love and Other Drugs, but some of the clips and photos i've seen of Anne Hathaway definitely has me interested. :p

Can't wait to see her in tight leather as catwoman. :elol:

LouCipherr
26-Mar-2012, 04:02 PM
How did Steven Seagal ever manage it?

Good question! :lol:

Weird Science was one of those movies that HBO and their competitors had a hard-on for in the 1980s and I literally must have seen it a hundred times growing up.

Agreed. I have no idea how many times I've seen Weird Science, but it has to be easily over 50+. :D

*walks away singing, "From my heart and from my hand, why don't people understand my intentions..?"*

MinionZombie
26-Mar-2012, 04:30 PM
Good catch, MZ...I've only ever watched Return II a handful of times (though I did have the dubious honor of seeing it in the theater) and never would have caught this.

Also, glad you enjoyed Love & Other Drugs, I found it pretty well done, myself.

She looked very familiar when I was watching it, but it was the blonde hair that threw me off (she had red hair in ROTLD2) ... speaking of ROTLD2, I've seen that numerous times too, although looking at it now, compared to ROTLD it's shite. There's good stuff in there, such as the bumbling duo of grave robbers, that kid's older sister, and - the red head. ;)

I haven't had the chance to see Love and Other Drugs, but some of the clips and photos i've seen of Anne Hathaway definitely has me interested. :p

Can't wait to see her in tight leather as catwoman. :elol:

Regarding Love & Other Drugs, all I ever heard about it when it was released was "oh, they're both naked all the time", which isn't very accurate (although it is a highpoint for Hathaway fans :sneaky:), but the flick itself is pretty good. A nice mix of the serious with the smutty.

*walks away singing, "From my heart and from my hand, why don't people understand my intentions..?*

I've had that song stuck in my head for days now - good track, mind. :)

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2012, 12:19 PM
Dogtooth, Import/Export, and Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/triple-bill-mini-musings-foreign-flicks.html

A Greek black comedy, an ever-so bleak European drama, and a surprisingly fun slasher sequel with a supernatural skew... :)

-- -------- Post added 16-Apr-2012 at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 13-Apr-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

A gentle rant about Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch":
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/gentle-rant-about-sucker-punch-zack.html

I detest his remake of Dawn of the Dead, roll my eyes at 300, but actually rather like Watchmen (in extended Director's Cut form) ... so what did I make of Sucker Punch - and indeed, what did you folks of HPOTD make of Sucker Punch?

AcesandEights
16-Apr-2012, 01:38 PM
what did you folks of HPOTD make of Sucker Punch?

08-03, 12:07 AcesandEights
Home sick today and figured I'd watch Sucker Punch on HBO on demand and I think 9 and 1/2 of the first 10 minutes of the film is all in slow mo...

New 08-03, 12:14 AcesandEights
My god, this is like watching one of those moviel length, Michael Jackson music videos.

08-03, 12:30 AcesandEights
Wow, beautiful over the top visuals, but it has all the feel, emotion & viewer investment of a mortal kombat sequel.

08-03, 12:30 AcesandEights
This movie must have been huge in Japan.

08-03, 12:33 AcesandEights
God, the music...what was the thought process behind some of these choices?!

And you know I give Z Snyder a pretty fair shake, but it was wretched. The wheels just fell off from conceptualization through to execution. He started with an okay premise, but got caught up with too much...too much slo mo, too much in the way of over-stylized renderings, too much caricature, too much shitty music etc.

LouCipherr
16-Apr-2012, 03:08 PM
He started with an okay premise, but got caught up with too much...too much slo mo, too much in the way of over-stylized renderings, too much caricature, too much shitty music etc.

Sounds like most of his other movies, too. :shifty:

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2012, 04:21 PM
@Aces - :lol: I'd have loved it if you'd just 'live shouted' the whole movie as you watched it. :D

I did consider doing one of my bitch lists for this flick, but didn't bother in the end. I thought some of the music in Watchmen was getting a touch on-the-nose, but goddamn, in Sucker Punch it's the most dunderheaded plate of obviousness served up piping hot right in your face. :lol: And every goddamned song used is a cover version, and it's always some sort of emo-sounding version ... if I want "Where Is My Mind" in a film, then I want it by The Pixies, and I want it at the end of Fight Club. That is all. :D

Neil
17-Apr-2012, 01:00 PM
roll my eyes at 300
I love 300! I could watch that movie over and over...

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2012, 04:37 PM
I love 300! I could watch that movie over and over...

Big fan of oiled-up muscles writhing in slow motion, eh? Capes 'n' codpieces. :lol:

LouCipherr
17-Apr-2012, 04:56 PM
Big fan of oiled-up muscles writhing in slow motion, eh? Capes 'n' codpieces. :lol:

THIS IS MADDNESS!

*runs and hides from the 300 haters*

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2012, 06:11 PM
THIS IS MADDNESS!

*runs and hides from the 300 haters*

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6083/6102821404_6386ef0286.jpg

or

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/23268_117920921579805_9923_n.jpg

Neil
17-Apr-2012, 09:24 PM

Yep! That and a good solid comic book adaptation viscerally done in a new and visually impressive fashion!

bassman
17-Apr-2012, 09:47 PM
Yep! That and a good solid comic book adaptation viscerally done in a new and visually impressive fashion!

You forgot slow motion, increasing the run time of the film....

MoonSylver
17-Apr-2012, 10:00 PM

http://www.papermag.com/blogs/Muscle-Madness-DVD.jpg

http://www.moviesaboutgladiators.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Airplane-Joey.jpg

"Neil, do you like movies about gladiators?"

:rockbrow:

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2012, 06:00 PM
Bridesmaids, The Guard, The Messenger, Cedar Rapids, and 127 Hours:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/quintuple-bill-mini-musings-april-2012.html

AcesandEights
22-Apr-2012, 07:28 PM
Bridesmaids, The Guard, The Messenger, Cedar Rapids, and 127 Hours:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/quintuple-bill-mini-musings-april-2012.html

I agree with you pretty much completely with regards to 127 Hours. Refreshingly simple, well executed and pretty powerful.

bassman
22-Apr-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice to see some simple love for 127 Hours. I think I posted an early trailer for that flick and it was met with nothing but negative comments. Of course, I think those were the regular negative members that complain about everything.

You know the type....

shootemindehead
22-Apr-2012, 08:55 PM
I agree with you pretty much completely with regards to 127 Hours. Refreshingly simple, well executed and pretty powerful.

Ditto.

Especially thought that the use of music to illustrate the pain of slicing through tendons was excellently done.

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2012, 09:43 AM
Bassman - haha, yeah, I know the type. :p Don't recall seeing the trailer way back when, personally, but remember all the fuss in the media about the hacking off of the arm. It's quite a scene, but it's not as gruesome as you might expect ... but then again, as a hardcore horror genre aficianado, I don't suppose I'd be all that shocked by it. In the context it's still powerful, but the bit that did make me twinge was the picking at ... was it a tendon, or an artery? Whatever it was that caused him a vast amount of pain in the film as he was cutting away.

Shoot - aye, the music used was excellent in the flick, as well as the editing. I loved how cold, fresh, perspiring bottles of water were fetishised in the movie. I had a drink right next to me and I felt thirsty just seeing that, so it was a nice way to amplify Ralston's thirst.

Like has been said, it's a straight forward flick, but it pulls you in and it's very well crafted indeed.

bassman
23-Apr-2012, 11:27 AM
Bassman - haha, yeah, I know the type. :p Don't recall seeing the trailer way back when, personally, but remember all the fuss in the media about the hacking off of the arm. It's quite a scene, but it's not as gruesome as you might expect ... but then again, as a hardcore horror genre aficianado, I don't suppose I'd be all that shocked by it. In the context it's still powerful, but the bit that did make me twinge was the picking at ... was it a tendon, or an artery? Whatever it was that caused him a vast amount of pain in the film as he was cutting away.

It was a main nerve. HE describes it as looking like a long, tight spagetti noodle. Here he describes the amputation while revisiting the location:

B2XLoQ1xYB0

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2012, 05:06 PM
It was a main nerve. HE describes it as looking like a long, tight spagetti noodle. Here he describes the amputation while revisiting the location:

B2XLoQ1xYB0

Chilling stuff! :eek:

A couple more musings, and this time I'm trying out a different formula, if you will, to try and avoid too much rambling.

Bug, and The Inglorious Bastards:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/double-bill-mini-musings-trying-out.html

LouCipherr
27-Apr-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey MZ, have you seen the movie "RUBBER" yet? About the tire?

I respectfully demand...errr.... request you watch the movie and give us your full review. :D

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey MZ, have you seen the movie "RUBBER" yet? About the tire?

I respectfully demand...errr.... request you watch the movie and give us your full review. :D

Almost a year ago in fact. :)

The Stendhal Syndrome, Rubber, She's Out of My League, The Straight Story, Monsters, Gumball 3000: Coast to Coast:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/hextuple-bill-mini-musings-art.html

Rubber:

The movie about a killer car tyre - who the hell wouldn't want to see it?! Well, half of it anyway. The half that follows the tyre discovering its powers and exploding heads is enjoyably daft ... but the other half is an eye-rollingly pretentious load of old bollocks, that is so self aware it's not in the slightest bit funny, witty, or entertaining. If all that wasn't in the movie, it'd be a spiffing 40 minutes - or personally, I would have gone in a different direction with such an idea as a killer car tyre.

The opening monologue, about "no reason", is apparently supposed to be ironic. Now, is that because none of the examples given demonstrate "no reason" at all, or is it ironic for another reason and the annoying monologue is actually being serious? I enjoyed the silliness of the cop arriving in the trunk of a police car, which knocked over a series of chairs in the middle of a road, but for goodness sake I didn't need the poncy-arsed bullshit that came afterwards and was dotted throughout the movie. So it's a very split flick - one half of it is total crap that thinks far too much of itself, and the other half is an enjoyable askew idea of a killer car tyre blowing up people's heads in and around the desert motel that was memorably featured in Rob Zombie's wonderful The Devil's Rejects.

In my new review parlance (as seen here - http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/double-bill-mini-musings-trying-out.html), Rubber would be deemed "half good and half shite".

LouCipherr
27-Apr-2012, 06:51 PM
Almost a year ago in fact. :)

So, you have to ask yourself why, exactly, did MZ review this movie?

No reason.

And why exactly was this movie made in the first place?

No reason.

Awesome MZ, I didn't notice that review when it went up. Glad I wasn't the only one who subjected his brain to that.. ummm..... "movie" :lol:

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2012, 09:28 PM
So, you have to ask yourself why, exactly, did MZ review this movie?

No reason.

And why exactly was this movie made in the first place?

No reason.

Awesome MZ, I didn't notice that review when it went up. Glad I wasn't the only one who subjected his brain to that.. ummm..... "movie" :lol:

haha ... nope, no reason at all ... now if you'll excuse me, there's a car boot I've gotta climb into so the driver can knock over a bunch of chairs on this abandoned desert road... :shifty:

AcesandEights
27-Apr-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I thought She's Out of My League, was fun too, MZ. Not great, maybe, but fun.

MinionZombie
02-May-2012, 06:13 PM
The Avengers, and Bad Teacher:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/double-bill-mini-musings-assembly.html

and in case you missed it from earlier in the thread...

Bug, and The Inglorious Bastards:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/double-bill-mini-musings-trying-out.html

LouCipherr
02-May-2012, 06:52 PM
Bad Teacher:

MZ - did you watch it like you were "mad at it"?! :lol: :lol:

Has to be the funniest line in that movie. :D

MinionZombie
03-May-2012, 09:34 AM
MZ - did you watch it like you were "mad at it"?! :lol: :lol:

Has to be the funniest line in that movie. :D

I've totally forgotten what that line is - refresh my memory.

LouCipherr
04-May-2012, 01:10 PM
I've totally forgotten what that line is - refresh my memory.

How could you possibly forget that line in the movie?! It was one of the funniest lines in it!

She walked into the house and announced to her husband, "“Get yourself hard, 'cause I'm gonna suck your d*ck like I'm mad at it!" - and when she walks into the room, there is her husband.....sitting there with his mom! :lol: :lol:

I think you need to go back and re-watch it now. :D

MinionZombie
04-May-2012, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember ... yeah, one of the handful of decent lines in the movie ... but the whole thing was rather forgettable generally though.

LouCipherr
04-May-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember ... yeah, one of the handful of decent lines in the movie ... but the whole thing was rather forgettable generally though.

I agree, but that was one of the greatest lines ever uttered in a motion picture! :elol:

MinionZombie
06-May-2012, 05:35 PM
I agree, but that was one of the greatest lines ever uttered in a motion picture! :elol:

Maybe going a smidge far with that statement... :D

-- -------- Post added 06-May-2012 at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-May-2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

Phantom of Death aka Off Balance (Ruggero Deodato, 1988) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/phantom-of-death-ruggero-deodato-1988.html

If you want to see Donald Pleasance screaming wildly in front of startled Italians, then perhaps this is the movie for you. :D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D1_TwLGWSaw/T6anYf6YTVI/AAAAAAAAAiY/Plypjy_TyRE/s1600/Phantom_of_Death_006.jpg

LouCipherr
07-May-2012, 04:11 PM
Maybe going a smidge far with that statement...

I think not. I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. Anytime a woman tells me she's going to suck me off like she's mad at it, that shit trumps anything ever said in the history of mankind, period!

At least at that moment in time.

:lol: :p :D

MinionZombie
20-May-2012, 06:36 PM
Who Saw Her Die? (Aldo Lado, 1972) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/who-saw-her-die-aldo-lado-1972-dvd.html

This atmospheric giallo thriller treads similar ground to Nicolas Roeg's "Don't Look Now", but it pre-dates it by a year.

-- -------- Post added 20-May-2012 at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 16-May-2012 at 05:52 PM ----------

The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh (Sergio Martino, 1971):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/strange-vice-of-mrs-wardh-sergio.html

A supreme example of the giallo genre, mixing artistry with sleaze, and featuring the stunning Edwige Fenech. If you haven't seen it yet, or are looking for a good place to start getting into the giallo genre, then look no further. Well worth seeing!

EvilNed
20-May-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks MZ! I've been looking for a good Giallo, as I haven't seen any in a long while now it seems. I'll give this one a go.

EvilNed
30-May-2012, 08:30 PM
What a brilliant film! One of the best giallo's I've seen.

TnOop5Uqeks

MinionZombie
31-May-2012, 10:14 AM
What a brilliant film! One of the best giallo's I've seen.

TnOop5Uqeks

Glad you enjoyed it, Ned. I absolutely loved it. :)

And while I remember...

Nude Nuns With Big Guns, The Mangler, American Grindhouse, Nightmares in Red White and Blue, and Badlands:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-guns-killer.html

LouCipherr
31-May-2012, 12:49 PM
[B]Nude Nuns With Big Guns

Now THAT'S a 'habit' I'd like to get into.. :shifty:

*taps microphone* IS THIS THING ON?!?!

I've always wanted to see this flick based on the title alone. Now I gotta go read MZ's review before I do - I'd hate to get stuck with a 'habit' I don't like.

*taps microphone again* IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?!

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2012, 05:10 PM
Now THAT'S a 'habit' I'd like to get into.. :shifty:

*taps microphone* IS THIS THING ON?!?!

I've always wanted to see this flick based on the title alone. Now I gotta go read MZ's review before I do - I'd hate to get stuck with a 'habit' I don't like.

*taps microphone again* IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?!

:lol::lol::lol:

Puntastic, Lou, puntastic.

The flick itself, well ... here's what I said about it:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-guns-killer.html

Nude Nuns With Big Guns:
What's it about?
If you can't figure it out from the title, then you've little hope for the future.
Who would I recognise in it?
Nobody, unless you've seen Run! Bitch Run!
Great/Good/Alright/Shite?
If flattery is the highest form of compliment, then Robert Rodriguez must be blushing, because Guzman & Co have unrepentently ripped-off his ouvre - particularly Grindhouse (even the music from the opening sequence is highly influenced/half-inched from RR's ode to the sleaze flicks of 42nd Street). The presentation is much improved over Guzman's previous flick, the aforementioned Run! Bitch Run! (which was highly indebted to The Last House on the Left, and I Spit On Your Grave), although it too is utterly indebted to the work of others - but even still, for a low budget faux-grindhouse flick such as this mean-spirited outing, it's put together well enough to not distract from the onslaught of bared flesh and brandished firearms. The script is a bit thin (unsurprisingly, as you might imagine), yet heftier than RBR's, and the pacing is sometimes a bit slow, but it certainly passes the Ronseal test - it does exactly what it says on the tin ... it's just a shame that Joseph Guzman, Robert James Hayes II, and company, are seemingly such unashamed rip-off merchants in the process. Alright.

A mean-spirited, total rip-off, passing fancy for-what-it-is, for the running time. Worth a watch for fans of sleazy indies and the faux-grindhouse movement ... but blimey is it unoriginal.

-- -------- Post added 02-Jun-2012 at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was 31-May-2012 at 06:50 PM ----------

Prometheus:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/prometheus-3d-review.html

The review is spoiler free. :)

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2012, 05:55 PM
Stakeland, Arthur, and Get Carter:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/triple-bill-mini-musings-vamps-drinks.html

Vampires get the zombie apocalypse treatment, Russell Brand does his best Dudley Moore impression, and Michael Caine was a double-hard bastard in the 1971...

...and in case you missed it:

Prometheus 3D (spoiler free):

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2012, 06:04 PM
A mean-spirited, total rip-off, passing fancy for-what-it-is, for the running time. Worth a watch for fans of sleazy indies and the faux-grindhouse movement ... but blimey is it unoriginal.

Yes, but are there lots of boobs, MZ? That's what matters, not the "story line"

:lol: :lol: :D

BTW: That's a mighty fine avatar you've got going on there. :D

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes, but are there lots of boobs, MZ? That's what matters, not the "story line"

:lol: :lol: :D

BTW: That's a mighty fine avatar you've got going on there. :D

Thanks, I fancied a change in avatar and dug around my achives for a change-up. :)

As for the bewb count in Nude Nuns With Big Guns ... heh ... naturally there's a lot of them flopping about (or indeed standing there without moving, if they're not terribly well-done fakes). If that's all you want out of it, then you'll probably be happy. :p:rolleyes::p

Stakeland, Arthur, and Get Carter:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/triple-bill-mini-musings-vamps-drinks.html

Vampires get the zombie apocalypse treatment, Russell Brand does his best Dudley Moore impression, and Michael Caine was a double-hard bastard in the 1971...

...and in case you missed it:

Prometheus 3D (spoiler free):

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2012, 07:14 PM
If that's all you want out of it, then you'll probably be happy. :p:rolleyes::p

Dude, that's all I ever ask for. An abundance of boobage. :lol: :D :p

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2012, 11:21 AM
Dude, that's all I ever ask for. An abundance of boobage. :lol: :D :p

You might say - major boobage. :sneaky:

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/main/sites/default/files/features/images/080509/kenny.jpg

:p

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2012, 12:03 PM
Fright Night (2011), Planet of the Apes (1968), and 30 Minutes Or Less:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/triple-bill-mini-musings-vamps-apes-and.html

Yes - I've finally got around to viewing Planet of the Apes. :p

-- -------- Post added 01-Jul-2012 at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was 25-Jun-2012 at 05:31 PM ----------

We Need To Talk About Kevin, Poltergeist II: The Other Side, and Deranged:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/triple-bill-mini-musings-nightmares.html

I'd highly recommend checking out We Need To Talk About Kevin ... it's not a cheery film, but it is well worth seeing ... and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Roberts Blossom (who plays Ezra Cobb in Deranged) played old man Marley in Home Alone! I thought his voice and pattern of speech was familiar. :)

bassman
02-Jul-2012, 12:45 PM
While most people don't share this opinion, i've always prefered Poltergeist III out of the two sequels. The third film really branched out and tried to be it's own movie rather than being another "The Other Side" - attempting, and failing, to duplicate the story of the first film.

The only thing I've ever taken away from the second film is, as you mentioned, Father Kane. That was an inspired casting decision, but it didn't really do anything to help the other troubled aspects of the film. So if you haven't seen the third film, let us know what you think of it when you do.

As for Planet of the Apes - Any plans to visit the four sequels? While I've never liked the first sequel, Beneath, the other three are great slices of scifi. My favorite is Conquest, which takes the series in a VERY dark direction and like any great piece of scifi, uses the story to make some statements on our own society. Escape is also fun because of it's different setting(Cornelius and Zira travel back in time to visit the 70's) that kinda turned the series on it's head. Escape is also the beginning of the writers trying to tie the story back around to the original film, making the entire series one giant loop that comes back to the start. You should check the whole series out. While there are a couple missteps, the majority of the series is very entertaining. The "40 Year Evolution" blu ray box set can be found for very cheap these days and includes TONS of fascinating features. I highly recommend it.

MinionZombie
14-Jul-2012, 12:14 PM
Aye, I will have to check out Poltergeist III when it comes around sometime, and I have been eyeing up the Planet of the Apes boxset (not sure yet if our set matches your set - we often get screwed on extras in things like that, for example our "Complete Deadwood" is just the episodes and no extras, while in America you've got a whole bunch of extras) ... so I'll look into that, methinks. I was certainly very impressed with the first film - and I was also very impressed with the recent "Rise of..." flick (which was the first Apes movie I ever saw) - so yeah, I'll look into the boxset as it'd certainly prove easier viewing that waiting for them to roll around on Sky Movies, and I think they've only got the rights to one or two of them as it is.

-- -------- Post added 07-Jul-2012 at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-Jul-2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

The Divide:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/divide-2011-movie-review.html

I gave this post-apocalyptic thriller starring Michael Biehn a spin ... find out if it's worth your time.

-- -------- Post added 12-Jul-2012 at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-Jul-2012 at 06:49 PM ----------

Friends With Benefits, and Broadcast News:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/double-bill-mini-musings-benefitting.html

The former is from the director of Easy A, starring Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, and Woody Harrelson, while the latter is from James L. Brooks and stars Holly Hunter, Albert Brooks, and William Hurt.

-- -------- Post added 14-Jul-2012 at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-Jul-2012 at 05:50 PM ----------

The Rum Diary, and Sideways:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/double-bill-mini-musings-breezy.html

A double dose of booze-fuelled movie viewings today - an adapatation of Hunter S. Thompson's novel, and 2004's wine-dramedy from Alexander "The Descendants" Payne...

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2012, 09:09 AM
The Dark Knight Rises:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-dark-knight-rises-spoiler-free.html

:hyper:

I seriously struggled to get to sleep last night after seeing the film, because I just couldn't stop thinking about it. :)

wayzim
23-Jul-2012, 12:08 PM
As for Planet of the Apes - Any plans to visit the four sequels? While I've never liked the first sequel, Beneath, the other three are great slices of scifi. My favorite is Conquest, which takes the series in a VERY dark direction and like any great piece of scifi, uses the story to make some statements on our own society. Escape is also fun because of it's different setting(Cornelius and Zira travel back in time to visit the 70's) that kinda turned the series on it's head. Escape is also the beginning of the writers trying to tie the story back around to the original film, making the entire series one giant loop that comes back to the start. You should check the whole series out. While there are a couple missteps, the majority of the series is very entertaining. The "40 Year Evolution" blu ray box set can be found for very cheap these days and includes TONS of fascinating features. I highly recommend it.

One very interesting thing about Escape is the introduction of The Paradox ( which has never been written about, to my knowledge. )

It comes when Cornelus explains the history behind the rise of the apes ( as he knows it ) to the government spooks. The post plague ( which wiped out the cats and dogs ) domestication and enslavement of primates spanned at least a hundred (if not hundreds of years. ) culiminating in a revolution lead by a gorilla named Aldo who was the first ape to say 'No. '

The birth of Caesar changed that dramatically, perhaps ultimately for the better?

Way Zim

shootemindehead
23-Jul-2012, 10:39 PM
The Dark Knight Rises:

I seriously struggled to get to sleep last night after seeing the film, because I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

Jesus....that bad eh?

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 12:47 PM
Jesus....that bad eh?

Not quite the reason I was awake thinking about the movie...

-- -------- Post added 25-Jul-2012 at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was 24-Jul-2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

The Lost Weekend, Real Steel, Cowboys & Aliens, and The Change Up:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-booze-bots.html

Alcoholism 1940s style, Rocky with robots, passing the Ronseal test, and body-swapping mixed with projectile bowel movements...

LouCipherr
25-Jul-2012, 05:04 PM
Alcoholism 1940s style, Rocky with robots, passing the Ronseal test, and body-swapping mixed with projectile bowel movements...

What a way to summarize those movies! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2012, 05:11 PM
What a way to summarize those movies! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Well, I try to entertain while I inform. :p:D:p

MinionZombie
05-Aug-2012, 06:41 PM
Green Lantern, Welcome to the Rileys, and The Help:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/triple-bill-mini-musings-lanterns.html

The first is certainly no Batman Begins and features an evil space cloud, the second features Kristen Stewart playing a grumpy stripper opposite James Gandolfini, and the third was busy bothering the Oscars earlier this year...

MinionZombie
20-Aug-2012, 04:42 PM
The Expendables 2:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-expendables-2-film-review.html

Suffice to say, I had a shitload of fun. :D

MinionZombie
27-Aug-2012, 05:01 PM
Apollo 18, Absolute Power, Killer Elite, The Pool Boys, and Bowfinger:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-aliens.html

I was pleasantly surprised by Apollo 18 - wasn't expecting much, but the atmosphere and setting really sold the flick. Not amazing, but solid stuff.

MinionZombie
17-Sep-2012, 04:21 PM
Screamers: The Hunting - a.k.a. The 2nd Worst Movie I've Seen All Year:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-2nd-worst-movie-ive-seen-all-year.html

Seriously - it's shit of the highest magnitude. Read on to find out why. :elol:

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2012, 11:43 AM
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-2nd-worst-movie-ive-seen-all-year.html

After such a dud flick, it was nice to follow it up with three goodies.

American Pie Reunion, The Raid, and Brazil:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/triple-bill-mini-musings-nostalgia.html

Nostalgia mixed with tits, 101 minutes of amazing arse-kicking, and a beautiful Orwellian nightmare from the barmy mind of Terry Gilliam...

LouCipherr
27-Sep-2012, 01:00 PM

This is the most awesome summary of a movie, ever!

"Suffice to say, Screamers: The Hunting is 5% decent, and 95% sheer, total, utter, incomprehensible, bland-as-wallpaper-paste, piss-poorly written, forgettably-directed, cheap-looking, generic-to-the-nth-degree shite."

:thumbsup:

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2012, 04:29 PM
This is the most awesome summary of a movie, ever!

"Suffice to say, Screamers: The Hunting is 5% decent, and 95% sheer, total, utter, incomprehensible, bland-as-wallpaper-paste, piss-poorly written, forgettably-directed, cheap-looking, generic-to-the-nth-degree shite."

:thumbsup:

A summary that blows the entire movie's script right out of the water. The script was just abominable. It really was. I was surprised by how shite it was. Still, the first movie holds up to this day, and I think we can thank far more talented folks like Dan O'Bannon and Peter Weller for that. :cool:

LouCipherr
27-Sep-2012, 04:49 PM
A summary that blows the entire movie's script right out of the water. The script was just abominable. It really was. I was surprised by how shite it was. Still, the first movie holds up to this day, and I think we can thank far more talented folks like Dan O'Bannon and Peter Weller for that. :cool:

MZ, this deserved a new "I have shamed myself..." thread from the sounds of it! :lol: :lol: :D

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2012, 06:02 PM
MZ, this deserved a new "I have shamed myself..." thread from the sounds of it! :lol: :lol: :D

hehe, that's a LouCipherr trademark. :D

I keep all my numerous movie musings here under one roof ... now, Bitch Lists on the other hand ... in fact I would have done a bitch list for "Screamers: The Hunting" if I'd known in advance how awful it was going to be. I mean really, you think it can't get anymore idiotic, but then it proves you wrong - time after time. It's offensive really, as someone trying to break into the filmmaking world, that total and utter runny horse shit such as that can get produced and those responsible are paid to subject planet earth to it.

I wrote a sequel to Screamers when I was like 12 on a computer that wasn't even Windows 3.1, and at a mere 3 to 5 pages of children's-level writing, I bet it was better than the pish served up in that movie.

Seriously. Screamers: The Hunting. Fuck that movie.

:elol:

LouCipherr
27-Sep-2012, 06:52 PM
hehe, that's a LouCipherr trademark. :D

Well, unlike the MPAA, the RIAA, and all those other copyright/trademark lunatics, I would never sue if you decided to put up a "shame" thread. ;)

In fact, I'd like to let everyone know right now that "shame" threads have officially been thrown into the public domain. Have at it. :lol: :D

I keep all my numerous movie musings here under one roof ... now, Bitch Lists on the other hand ... in fact I would have done a bitch list for "Screamers: The Hunting" if I'd known in advance how awful it was going to be. I mean really, you think it can't get anymore idiotic, but then it proves you wrong - time after time. It's offensive really, as someone trying to break into the filmmaking world, that total and utter runny horse shit such as that can get produced and those responsible are paid to subject planet earth to it.

I would ask for a bitch list, but then again, I'm a nice enough person to not ask you to do a second viewing of such a wretched piece of shit.

Seriously. Screamers: The Hunting. Fuck that movie.

Fuck it in it's stupid ass! :lol:

That's how I felt about Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies! :lol:

Which, if you think Screamers 2 was bad, go check out that wonderful shit-fest from our favorite movie company of all time, Asylum.

*pukes on his own shoes*

Sorry about that, I'll go get a towel. :lol:

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2012, 09:53 AM
Ugh, The Asylum?! I will never support the junk that they toss out there like a discarded jizzy tissue.

Neil
28-Sep-2012, 10:13 AM
Ugh, The Asylum?! I will never support the junk that they toss out there like a discarded jizzy tissue.

http://nrsmonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/high-five.png

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2012, 11:30 AM
http://nrsmonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/high-five.png

*HIGH FIVE* :cool:

http://cdn.9laughs.com/files/2012/03/High-Five.jpg

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2012, 06:38 PM
The Innkeepers, and Johnny English Reborn:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/double-bill-mini-musings-haunted-hotels.html

Ti West's follow-up to The House of the Devil, and the belated sequel to the Rowan Atkinson-starring James Bond spoof from the mid-90s.

rongravy
05-Oct-2012, 07:18 PM
[B]

...the belated sequel to the Rowan Atkinson-starring James Bond spoof from the mid-90s.
Wiki said it came out in 2003.:)
Haven't seen the sequel yet, but I saw the first in the theater and liked it.

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2012, 10:45 AM
Wiki said it came out in 2003.:)
Haven't seen the sequel yet, but I saw the first in the theater and liked it.

Really?! Whoops! :o

Better go and correct that - I could have sworn it was from the mid 1990s!

MinionZombie
28-Oct-2012, 07:10 PM
Almost Human (Umberto Lenzi, 1974) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/almost-human-umberto-lenzi-1974-dvd.html

A solid poliziotteschi crime thriller from the director of Cannibal Ferox and Nightmare City, and the writer of The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh.

Final Destination 5:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/final-destination-5-single-bill-mini.html

Is the fourth sequel worth a watch? As it turns out, yes.

AcesandEights
29-Oct-2012, 12:58 AM
Damn, Laura Belli was beautiful in Almost Human!

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2012, 06:21 PM
Skyfall, Crazy Stupid Love, and Haywire:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/triple-bill-minicine-musings-bond-loves.html

Bond's fantastic 50th, a romcom featuring knob gags and the fit-as-fook Emma Stone, and some old pish by Steven Soderbergh...

AcesandEights
05-Nov-2012, 06:30 PM
Crazy Stupid Love...a romcom featuring knob gags and the fit-as-fook Emma Stone

Emma Stone was, as you say, 'fit' as hell in that film. Even better was some of the soundtrack. Blood by the Middle East, for instance, which was featured in the final scene, is an incredible song.

MinionZombie
11-Nov-2012, 11:56 AM
My Dear Killer (Tonino Valerii, 1972) DVD Review:
http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?20910-World-War-Z-(film)-Footage-Trailer&goto=newpost

An Italian giallo flick for fans of decapitation-by-dredger and shed-loads of shots of leather-gloved-hands getting up to no good. :D

- - - Updated - - -

The Cabin in the Woods, and Straw Dogs (2011):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/double-bill-mini-musings-woods-dogs.html

Goddard & Whedon's enjoyable love/hate letter for the horror genre, and yet another pointless remake, which features a really blunt scene in which James Marsden has to explain the title. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
15-Nov-2012, 05:53 PM
Kill List, Texas Killing Fields, Tower Heist, and Submarine:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-lists.html

1) White collar assassins go up against culty weirdness in rural England.
2) From the daughter of Michael Mann: impenetrable and mumbled Texan accents and lots of mood.
3) Glossy and unmemorable crime caper from Brett-bloody-Ratner.
4) An intermittently pretentious tale of young love in a Welsh seaside town (circa 1986) directed by Richard (Moss from The IT Crowd) Ayoade.

:)

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2012, 05:14 PM
In Time:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/in-time-most-idiotic-movie-ive-seen-in.html

The most idiotic movie I've seen in years - it's filled with plot holes you could navigate a cruis ship through - it's stunning just how stupid this movie is. Read on to find out why (lots of plot spoilers ahead, but I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie and wasting your own time on it anyway, so don't mind that).

bassman
18-Nov-2012, 02:00 PM
Not even Olivia Wilde could save it? I could stare at the woman for hours and not give a damn about plot. :p

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2012, 05:13 PM
Not even Olivia Wilde could save it? I could stare at the woman for hours and not give a damn about plot. :p

She's the best thing about/in the movie ... but she ain't in it for long.

But oh my, In Time is such a turkey ... and yet it made something like $173m. :rolleyes:

rongravy
18-Nov-2012, 05:43 PM
But oh my, In Time is such a turkey ... and yet it made something like $173m. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but only $37.5 million of that here. Yeah, it made its money worldwide, and probably did a little more damage on dvd and beyond, but if there's a next one, which I hope there's not, then I'm guessing it'd be straight to dvd, or some kind of Sci Fi Channel crap.
I saw it, but at least I only paid discount prices. And since it didn't leave a lasting impression, then I guess it sucked pretty bad.

AcesandEights
18-Nov-2012, 06:48 PM
Yeah, saw In Time and thought it had an okay enough premise, a good cast, but the script...ick.

MinionZombie
10-Dec-2012, 05:46 PM
Hatchet II, Fatal Attraction, Man With A Movie Camera, Young Adult, Contagion, and Iron Sky:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/hextuple-bill-mini-musings-killer-bunny.html

1) Fanboy servicing in Adam Green's low-on-ideas sequel to his Friday-the-13th-franchise-ripper-offer.
2) Catching up late with the bunny boiler.
3) Dziga Vertov's hypnotically excellent 1929 silent semi-documentary.
4) Charlize Theron plays the bitch from high school, who's now a loser and wants to break up the happy marriage of her ex-boyfriend.
5) Lots of stars, lots of style ... not recommended viewing for germophobes!
6) Nazis on the moon ... nuff said.

MinionZombie
16-Dec-2012, 12:40 PM
Project X, Das Boot, Paprika, and Don't Look Now:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-parties.html

1) Morally repugnant tosh that celebrates twats and twattish behaviour.
2) It's running time is daunting, and it took me 9 months to get around to watching it on my Sky+ box, but it was ruddy good.
3) Nowhere near as Inception-like as I'd been lead to believe, but cracking.
4) Took me long enough to catch up to this one, and it's bloody good - Aldo Lado's "Who Saw Her Die?" makes a good companion piece to this too.

shootemindehead
16-Dec-2012, 08:02 PM
'Das Boot' is probably the finest depiction of war I've seen put onto film. I've been reading about WWII since I was 8 and my dad who was in the Royal Engineers, threw books at me about the battle of Britain etc, so it's a bit of an obsession of mine. Although there are a number of issues with budget etc, 99% of the film is a masterpiece and its attention to detail, particularly the Type VIIC U-Boat itself, is extremely commendable.

In fact, I wish the Gerries would make more war films.

'Don't Look Now', on the other hand I believe to be one of the most over rated pieces of blah ever and I'm frankly sick to death of seeing it in top ten horror lists. A turgid chore that's neither spooky, nor interesting. I just cannot understand some people's trumpeting of it.

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2012, 10:02 AM
'Don't Look Now', on the other hand I believe to be one of the most over rated pieces of blah ever and I'm frankly sick to death of seeing it in top ten horror lists. A turgid chore that's neither spooky, nor interesting. I just cannot understand some people's trumpeting of it.

Interesting ... I personally don't consider it a "horror film", so I feel that assertion by others out there to be an ill fit for the film. It's a mystery with touches of thriller and touches of the supernatural to it. I got quite wrapped up in it though.

Aye, a German take on a war movie isn't that common-a-thing, or so it seems anyway. Downfall was ruddy excellent too - I presume you've seen that flick - it's a cracking piece of filmmaking, isn't it? :)

shootemindehead
17-Dec-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeh, 'Downfall' is an excellent take on the last days of the war. My only issue with it, is that it chickens out on what actually happened to Traudl Junge after she left the bunker.

It was however very refreshing to see SS men presented as human beings and not the cardboard stereotype that's usually presented in war films. One of the more sympathetic characters was Ernst Gunther Schenk, the bald SS doctor, or Wilhelm Monke, but André Hennicke is a little too old for the part and he looks nothing life the real life person.

Gantz was an excellent choice for a late war Führer though. Probably the best portrayal of him in that period that's been put on screen.

MinionZombie
29-Dec-2012, 05:18 PM
Ted, Safe House, Sliver, The Descendants, and The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn...
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-saucy-bears.html

A saucy teddy bear mimicking a double-jizzshot-to-the-face, Denzel Washington doing that laughy/smiley thing as Ryan Reynolds does his wide-eyed action man thing, 90's raunch and 4:3 televisions, George Clooney in sandals, and finally, barn-stormingly good action adventure with not-as-creepy-as-expected Zemeckis-style CG-motion-capture.

MinionZombie
10-Jan-2013, 05:45 PM
The Hobbit, Berberian Sound Studio, and Cockneys vs Zombies:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/triple-bill-mini-musings-hobbits-sounds.html

1) Your opinion will depend entirely on whether you were, or weren't, into the LOTR trilogy.
2) Aural horror that references giallo cinema.
3) What it says on the tin.

- - - Updated - - -

Oasis of Fear (Umberto Lenzi, 1971) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/oasis-of-fear-umberto-lenzi-1971-dvd.html

Mystery/Sexploitation - Two hippies (including Ray "Living Dead At Manchester Morgue" Lovelock) fund their European holiday by flogging porn to Italians, but on-the-run from the coppers, they end up at a rich woman's villa - but the nervous woman who suddenly warms up to them has something to hide.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2013, 04:51 PM
The Funhouse, Hugo, Inferno, and Sherlock Holmes 2 A Game of Shadows:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-carnies.html

1) Tobe Hooper's 1981 carnival-based horror.
2) Martin Scorsese, the man who once showed us a Casino cheat's head in a vice, exposes his love of movies in an unashamedly pleasant way.
3) Dario Argento's beautiful follow-up to Suspiria (dodgy script, mind).
4) Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, and Guy Ritchie bring more action-oriented sleuthing, with plenty of homoerotic subtextual cheekiness.

krisvds
14-Jan-2013, 05:41 PM
I saw Inferno in the Brussels film museum last year. Architectural porn someone called it once. I agree.
What a gorgeous film to see on a big screen with nothing but likeminded horrorfans.
Even if you have seen certain classics countless times before on DVD or homevideo there is something about the cinema experience that brings out the best in film. The bigger screen is one factor but the shared experience is also very important.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2013, 05:58 PM
I saw Inferno in the Brussels film museum last year. Architectural porn someone called it once. I agree.
What a gorgeous film to see on a big screen with nothing but likeminded horrorfans.
Even if you have seen certain classics countless times before on DVD or homevideo there is something about the cinema experience that brings out the best in film. The bigger screen is one factor but the shared experience is also very important.

I agree. I've seen The Shining a bunch of times, but I went on Halloween night to check out the extended American version at the cinema and the screening was packed (well, it was an "Orange Wednesday" afterall) - the audience were totally into it, laughing at Jack's wild eyes and things he said, but there was also this palpable tension. One thing I never noticed before watching it on TV is just how hysterical and in-your-face the soundtrack is. In the cinema it was like having a nightmare grab your face and scream at you at point blank range in a really disturbing, yet alluringly mysterious, way.

Also, there was this girl in the row behind us and she was petrified by the film - she exclaimed to her friend as the credits rolled and everybody was heading out "I've never been so happy for a film to finish before" - but in such a way that it was clear she enjoyed the movie, but was absolutely terrified by it (she burst out of her chair and screamed when Jack came out from behind that pillar swinging that axe. :elol:

There's definitely a certain magic to the shared cinema experience, particularly with stone cold classics. During Back To The Future's 25th anniversary run, we went to see it and everybody was digging it - what was most heartening though, was there were parents just a little bit older than us who were bringing their kids along to see the movie for the first time, and the kids were totally into it. Quality never ages - remakes be damned.

shootemindehead
14-Jan-2013, 10:49 PM
Also, there was this girl in the row behind us and she was petrified by the film - she exclaimed to her friend as the credits rolled and everybody was heading out "I've never been so happy for a film to finish before" - but in such a way that it was clear she enjoyed the movie, but was absolutely terrified by it (she burst out of her chair and screamed when Jack came out from behind that pillar swinging that axe..

I'd love to be still like that.

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2013, 09:37 AM
I'd love to be still like that.

Aye, sometimes I think that myself. It really takes something to scare me as I'm so used to the horror genre. I can still greatly enjoy the genre, but I never really get scared by it ... sometimes chilled by it, and the odd jump shock, but it's a rare thing indeed to be scared by something. That said, watching The Shining in the cinema, I had chills running all over my skin throughout the entire movie - so being unsettled by something is still an option, even if it's a flick I'm very familiar with, just in this case transposed to a new setting and viewing experience. :)

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2013, 01:03 PM
Father's Day, Wanderlust, and The Iron Lady:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/triple-bill-mini-musings-sleaze-hippies.html

1) Troma-produced nouveau-grindhouse grot from filmmaking collective Astron-6 about a bloated beast of a man who exclusively rapes and kills fathers.
2) Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston get their hippy freak on.
3) Great central performance, but piss-weak material in a political biopic directed by the woman who directed Mamma Mia ... hmmm...

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2013, 10:39 AM
The Grey, The Muppets, J. Edgar, and The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-wolves.html

1) Liam Neeson punching wolves in the face.
2) Good, clean, silly fun.
3) Leonardo DiCaprio in old-man make-up.
4) Aardman animation.

LouCipherr
29-Jan-2013, 12:49 PM
The Muppets

Jack Black says NO DRUMS!! :lol:

I have no idea why, but the idea of Animal in an 'anger management' class with Jack Black totally made me :lol: I think they did a great job on the latest Muppet movie. Besides, how can you go wrong when you have Amy Adams in the flick?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Funny1/quagmire.gif

bassman
29-Jan-2013, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I too thought the Muppets reboot was fantastic. Lots of laughs for the adults and the kids love it.

I can't explain why, but when I heard "What the Wakka?!?" near the end I was bent over with laughter....

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2013, 04:14 PM
Aye, The Muppets was rather well done (I too loved the idea of Animal being in rehab).

I have to say, one of the funniest bits for me was during the 'getting the gang back together' montage and they're back in the car and they mention 'and even the ones who weren't in the montage', and Rowlf complains he wasn't in the montage, saying his bit was really good - and it's just him chilling out in a hammock, totally laid back, and is just like 'yeah, cool, whatever' when asked to re-join. That cracked me up - love Rowlf - he's just so damn laid back. :D

Maniacal laugh ... maniacal laugh ... maniacal laugh!

And, of course ... "mah-nah-mah-nah!"

Neil
29-Jan-2013, 06:40 PM
Ted, Safe House, Sliver, The Descendants, and The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn...
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-saucy-bears.html

A saucy teddy bear mimicking a double-jizzshot-to-the-face, Denzel Washington doing that laughy/smiley thing as Ryan Reynolds does his wide-eyed action man thing, 90's raunch and 4:3 televisions, George Clooney in sandals, and finally, barn-stormingly good action adventure with not-as-creepy-as-expected Zemeckis-style CG-motion-capture.

I found Ted a bit average most of the time. Some nice scenes, but seemed to descend into a disney flick with adults instead of kids all too often... This includes the depth (lack) of the story too.

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2013, 06:56 PM
I found Ted a bit average most of the time. Some nice scenes, but seemed to descend into a disney flick with adults instead of kids all too often... This includes the depth (lack) of the story too.

Each to their own, I suppose. I really rather enjoyed it, although the first hour was probably better than the second hour.

MinionZombie
02-Feb-2013, 12:49 PM
Dredd, The Victim, and The Dictator:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/triple-bill-mini-musings-laws-victims.html

1) Total, hardcore, full-on bloke's entertainment - so much fun I wanted to watch it again immediately.
2) Michael Biehn stars in this low budget exploitationer that he also wrote and directed, with real-life wife Jennifer Blanc.
3) Sacha Baron Cohen's schtick gets worn down to the nub in this rather middling comedy.

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2013, 04:37 PM
Looper and Contraband:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/double-bill-mini-musings-top-drawer.html

1) Rian "Brick" Johnson's kick arse sci-fi, crammed full of memorably nifty ideas, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis.
2) Dull as ditchwater thriller starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by some Icelandic guy I've never heard of.

Some people have said that the make-up JGL has on in Looper is distracting, but actually I didn't find that at all. Initially it's weird because JGL doesn't look like JGL normally does, but very quickly I came to accept the look as him being a young Bruce Willis (even though I know that young Bruce Willis didn't look like that in Die Hard, but you know...) - JGL did a really good job of subtly putting various Willis-isms into his performance. The angle of an eyebrow, the head turn, the pattern of his speech, the way he holds his posture etc.

I'd highly recommend folks check out Looper ... but don't waste your time on Contraband.

AcesandEights
21-Feb-2013, 05:21 PM
Dull as ditchwater thriller starring Mark Wahlberg

http://i.qkme.me/3rkl0d.jpg

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2013, 05:38 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3rkl0d.jpg

No problems with Wahlberg in general - he's in some very good flicks (e.g. The Departed, Boogie Nights, Ted, etc), but Contraband was a right old duffter of a movie. About as interesting as a sheet of plain paper.

LouCipherr
21-Feb-2013, 06:42 PM
No problems with Wahlberg in general - he's in some very good flicks (e.g. The Departed, Boogie Nights, Ted, etc)

You should add "Shooter" to that list too. I loved that flick.

He also, however, has a few duds on his resume, one example being "The Happening" which I think was probably the worst performance he ever put to screen.

Overall, though, I dig the dude. Hard to believe a few decades ago he was Marky Mark and was being followed around by his funky bunch. :lol:

BTW: I see via IMDB that Ted 2 has been announced. Oh dear......

shootemindehead
21-Feb-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeh, 'Looper' is a great film. A really good near future sci-fi flick.

As for Marky Mark (you have to be old to get that one)...

RNb1YJYX07Q

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2013, 09:48 AM
Lou: "Shooter" I wasn't fussed about. I can't remember a damn thing about that movie, so it didn't exactly make an impression on me. "The Happening" - yes - that movie was utter horseshit. I'm stunned that M. Night still gets to make movies when he's churning out turds like that as a matter of routine. "Ted 2" - woohoo! I loved the first movie, so I'll be well up for the second. :)

Neil
22-Feb-2013, 11:06 AM
BTW: I see via IMDB that Ted 2 has been announced. Oh dear......
Indeed... Oh dear! Thought the first one had a few moments, but IMHO the rest of the time it was average and just too simple...

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2013, 12:48 PM
Lou: "Shooter" I wasn't fussed about. I can't remember a damn thing about that movie, so it didn't exactly make an impression on me.

Bummer, I really liked that movie and thought it was pretty decent. :D

Yeah, have no idea how M. Night ("What a twist!" for the Robot Chicken fans out there.. :lol:) is still able to make movies. TBH, the only movie of his I really dug (although I think the ending was cheesy) was Signs.

As for Marky Mark (you have to be old to get that one)...

Damn shootem, you're making me feel like a fossil over here! :lol:

Indeed... Oh dear! Thought the first one had a few moments, but IMHO the rest of the time it was average and just too simple...

I'm with you Neil, I didn't care for Ted all that much either.

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2013, 04:08 PM
What a twist!

A big Robot Chicken fan right here, Lou. :D

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2013, 04:41 PM
What a twist!

A big Robot Chicken fan right here, Lou. :D

YES! What can I say, MZ? Great minds think alike. :D :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2013, 01:01 PM
Chronicle, Adaptation, and The Gauntlet:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/triple-bill-mini-musings-powers-writing.html

1) Teens get superpowers in this found footage flick written by Max Landis.
2) A double dose of Nicolas Cage as screenwriter Charlie Kaufman and his fictional twin brother.
3) Old school tough-as-nails action comedy featuring Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke, and a shit-load of bullets.

LouCipherr
11-Mar-2013, 01:07 PM
The Gauntlet

3) Old school tough-as-nails action comedy featuring Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke, and a shit-load of bullets.

"Nag, nag, nag...."

Always loved that movie. :D

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2013, 06:04 PM
The Case of the Bloody Iris (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1971) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-case-of-bloody-iris-giuliano.html

An utterly sublime giallo - one of the very best of the era - starring Edwige Fenech and George Hilton. If you loved The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, you'll love this. Plenty of screenshots too. :cool:

MinionZombie
22-Mar-2013, 05:58 PM
Taxidermia, and The Raven:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/double-bill-mini-musings-utterly.html

1) A totally bizarre and grotesque (in a good way) Hungarian film about obsession (split into three tales) in which, among other things, a downtrodden soldier shags a bucket of pig meat and gets his John Thomas pecked by a Cock.
2) An utterly average Gothic thriller where John Cusack plays Edgar Allan Poe (yeah, that does sound a bit strange, doesn't it?)

AcesandEights
22-Mar-2013, 06:29 PM
The Raven...An utterly average Gothic thriller where John Cusack plays Edgar Allan Poe (yeah, that does sound a bit strange, doesn't it?)

I had such a hard time staying interested in this film, and it's not as though I find the subject matter bland...I don't know if I just wasn't giving the film its due attention, or it really was that stale.

MinionZombie
22-Mar-2013, 07:15 PM
I had such a hard time staying interested in this film, and it's not as though I find the subject matter bland...I don't know if I just wasn't giving the film its due attention, or it really was that stale.

I very rarely give up on films - and I was close to giving up on this - even though I did ultimately watch the whole lot of it. So I'd say that in your case it was still the film's fault - it is rather plain and void of any intrigue or thrills. If anyone hasn't seen it - you ain't missing much.

"Taxidermia" (2006), on the other hand, is so ickily bonkers that it's well worth watching ... it's pretty out there. :D

AcesandEights
22-Mar-2013, 07:20 PM
"Taxidermia" (2006), on the other hand, is so ickily bonkers that it's well worth watching ... it's pretty out there. :D

I've definitely seen some buzz about it, good to know it's creepy! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

MinionZombie
22-Mar-2013, 07:55 PM
I've definitely seen some buzz about it, good to know it's creepy! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Pro tip: Best not to watch it while eating. :D

bassman
22-Mar-2013, 08:26 PM
Not sure if you've covered this one, but I recently saw an quirky independent flick called "Safety Not Guaranteed" that I thought you might like. Nothing special, but a fun watch. Aubrey Plaza from Funny People and Parks and Rec stars.

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2013, 11:31 AM
Not sure if you've covered this one, but I recently saw an quirky independent flick called "Safety Not Guaranteed" that I thought you might like. Nothing special, but a fun watch. Aubrey Plaza from Funny People and Parks and Rec stars.

I'll keep that one in mind ... is it the one that somehow involves time travel? I think I read a review of that a few months back in Total Film - got a good write up. Will keep my eye out for it.

MinionZombie
21-Apr-2013, 11:53 AM
Piranha 3DD, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Seven Psychopaths, and The Five-Year Engagement:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-killer-fish.html

1) Pish killer-fish sequel.
2) Plenty of pig shit and Tina Turner, but where did all the awesome car chases go?
3) The follow-up to In Bruges.
4) Jason Segel & Emily Blunt in a film from the folks that gave you Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

and...

Men In Black III, The Amazing Spider-Man, Brave, Lockout, Moonrise Kingdom, and Two Mules For Sister Sara:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/hextuple-bill-mini-musings-aliens.html

1) Actually nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.
2) Half-good, half-bad ... it's got Emma Stone in it though, and that's always a huge plus.
3) Pixar flick - I had zero interest in it when it was announced, but I thoroughly enjoyed it in the end.
4) Escape From New York in space.
5) Wes Anderson film - so you should know what to expect. :)
6) Clint, a Nun, a couple of Mules, and a ruddy long wait for a proper shoot-out.

MinionZombie
12-May-2013, 05:15 PM
Lovely Molly, The Majestic, and City of God:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/triple-bill-mini-musings-lovely.html

1) Low-fi horror from Eduardo Sanchez (The Blair Witch Project) - one shot in particular creeped-me-the-hell-out.
2) Frank Darabont flick starring Jim Carrey as a blacklisted screenwriter losing his memory.
3) Brazilian gangster flick set in the slums.

MinionZombie
24-May-2013, 04:38 PM
Total Recall (2012):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/total-recall-2012-mini-musing.html

Total Remake gets the mini-musing treatment - will it be great, or will it be shite? Okay, one is far more likely than the other, let's face it...

Anyone else given the 2012 version a viewing? What were your thoughts?

MinionZombie
26-May-2013, 05:34 PM
Dead Genesis (Reese Eveneshen, 2011) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/dead-genesis-reese-eveneshen-2011-dvd.html

Review of Reese 'Night of the Living Dead 2007' Eveneshen's low budget indie zombie flick, replete with screenshots. :)

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2013, 12:09 PM
The Lords of Salem (Rob Zombie, 2012) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/the-lords-of-salem-rob-zombie-2012-dvd.html

Has anyone else checked it out? What are your thoughts? I really rather dug it. :cool:

MinionZombie
05-Jun-2013, 05:56 PM
Django Unchained, and Argo:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/double-bill-mini-musings-awards-bait.html

Feckin' loved Django Unchained - a really enjoyable rollercoaster of a flick that clicked fast-and-easy from savage brutality, to uproarious laughter, to kick arse shootouts (with fantastically gloopy blood geysers from KNB) ... and Argo is a three-for-three for Affleck: it had me on the edge of my seat. :):thumbsup::cool:

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2013, 06:36 PM
Resident Evil Retribution, Used Cars, and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/triple-bill-mini-musings-iffy-evil-iffy.html

1) About as fun as a painful bowel movement, and as well-written as a child's Christmas list to Santa.
2) Dated, but rather fun old school comedy - plus Kurt Russell's in it, and he's always awesome ... and I'd wager one certain scene was the basis for many American teenage boys' mucky fantasies back in the early 1980s. :lol:
3) The trouble with titles like that, is that you can never fully live up to them ... this is no different.

Read on for the full skinny. :)

Neil
14-Jun-2013, 08:52 PM
Django Unchained, and Argo:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/double-bill-mini-musings-awards-bait.html

Feckin' loved Django Unchained - a really enjoyable rollercoaster of a flick that clicked fast-and-easy from savage brutality, to uproarious laughter, to kick arse shootouts (with fantastically gloopy blood geysers from KNB) ... and Argo is a three-for-three for Affleck: it had me on the edge of my seat. :):thumbsup::cool:

I loved it too! The only week spot for me was Tarantino himself...

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2013, 11:51 AM
I loved it too! The only week spot for me was Tarantino himself...

Aye - the only mis-step in the flick - he sticks out like a sore thumb. Although he does leave the movie in a rather entertaining way. :lol:

Neil
15-Jun-2013, 12:03 PM
Can you imagine Will Smith in the role? That was Tarantino 's first choice and he even offered the part to him...

shootemindehead
15-Jun-2013, 03:23 PM
Jesus, that would have been bloody awful

Neil
15-Jun-2013, 03:31 PM
Jesus, that would have been bloody awful

Oh, I don't know... I think it could have been OK...

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2013, 04:41 PM
Room 237, and Premium Rush:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/double-bill-mini-musings-theories-and.html

1) That bonkers documentary about deeper meanings in "The Shining" (the film), which is fascinating and frustrating in equal measure.
2) Joseph Gordon-Levitt on a bicycle - but it's actually exciting.

Wicky-wicky-wi-wicky-wi-wild-west! :lol:

MoonSylver
16-Jun-2013, 03:06 AM

I like Smith, but I don't think he could have brought the burning intensity Foxx did for the 2nd half of the film. :)

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2013, 10:38 AM
I like Smith, but I don't think he could have brought the burning intensity Foxx did for the 2nd half of the film. :)

I think there's also a lot of Will Smith hanging around the neck of Will Smith, if that makes sense. Jamie Foxx is a big name, but his name doesn't get in the way of his performances - with Will Smith movies I'm always aware I'm watching Will Smith, and not whatever character he's playing (or late anyway - he was good as Ali, I thought, but as he's got bigger and bigger, it's damn-near impossible for him to be anybody else bit himself in his movies). I think Foxx did a fantastic job as Django.

Neil
16-Jun-2013, 11:39 AM

Agreed!

- - - Updated - - -

I think there's also a lot of Will Smith hanging around the neck of Will Smith, if that makes sense. Jamie Foxx is a big name, but his name doesn't get in the way of his performances - with Will Smith movies I'm always aware I'm watching Will Smith, and not whatever character he's playing (or late anyway - he was good as Ali, I thought, but as he's got bigger and bigger, it's damn-near impossible for him to be anybody else bit himself in his movies). I think Foxx did a fantastic job as Django.And agreed!

AcesandEights
16-Jun-2013, 02:59 PM
I think there's also a lot of Will Smith hanging around the neck of Will Smith, if that makes sense.

Actually, that is a perfect way of putting it!

shootemindehead
16-Jun-2013, 03:56 PM
That's because he's a rubbish actor. He can only play Will Smith. He certainly doesn't have the chops that Foxx has, that's for sure.

Fresh Prince my arse.

AcesandEights
16-Jun-2013, 04:23 PM
That's because he's a rubbish actor. He can only play Will Smith.

Kevin Costner school of acting.

bassman
16-Jun-2013, 04:28 PM
I think Smith is a fine actor, the problem is just that the roles he chooses often limit what he can do. See Six Degrees of Separation, Pursuit of Happiness, even bits of I Am Legend choked me up. He's got the talent, just usually doesn't have the venue to display it.

shootemindehead
16-Jun-2013, 05:14 PM
Aye, he wasn't bad in 'I am Legend'. He was more restraint and less mouthy. But, that film is bloody terrible in general. Such a waste of time. How the hell anyone can get the source novel and screw it up is beyond me. I'm still waiting for someone to do Matheson's book justice.

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2013, 05:35 PM
Aye, he wasn't bad in 'I am Legend'. He was more restraint and less mouthy. But, that film is bloody terrible in general. Such a waste of time. How the hell anyone can get the source novel and screw it up is beyond me. I'm still waiting for someone to do Matheson's book justice.

Agreed on all counts. The movie is iffy to begin with, but as soon as those CGI abominations crop up the entire movie nosedives off a bloody cliff into a pile of shit. He needs to do more movies like "Ali" where he isn't the biggest thing about the movie.

The book is fantastic - one part in particular (where he's driving home and has to fight to get back into his garage) - was absolutely terrifying as I read it. I kept reading faster and faster as the chapter progressed, and I was genuinely getting sweaty palms just from reading it.

The Last Man On Earth (with Vincent Price) was decent, and The Omega Man was cool (but is rather dated and a bit hokey these days), and I Am Legend was just pish ... like you, I too am still waiting for a proper film adaptation of the book.

bassman
16-Jun-2013, 06:57 PM
I wasn't necessarily referring to the adaptation of the book, just that his performance had a few great moments. For example, when he had to strangle his dog, when he begged the mannequin to say something, and when he found "Fred"(iirc) standing in the street.

Neil
16-Jun-2013, 07:31 PM
That's because he's a rubbish actor. He can only play Will Smith. He certainly doesn't have the chops that Foxx has, that's for sure.

Fresh Prince my arse.

You've got a very binary opinion at times...

While I agree Foxx was better for this role, Smith has got some reasonable acting skills IMHO.

shootemindehead
16-Jun-2013, 09:50 PM
You've got a very binary opinion at times...
01101110 01101111 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00001101 00001010

I wasn't necessarily referring to the adaptation of the book, just that his performance had a few great moments. For example, when he had to strangle his dog, when he begged the mannequin to say something, and when he found "Fred"(iirc) standing in the street.

Oh I didn't think you were. I was just spouting some ire over the film in general. It's certainly not Smith's fault that it was crap. He does what he can with his limited ability and yes when he kills Samantha, it's a sad moment, but it probably would have been anyway with someone else. But he's woefully interchangeable in many roles he's been in. I'm totally with Min on that one.

That said I haven't seen the Ali biopic yet and I'm not rushing out to do so, to be honest. There's too many things before it in the queue.

Agreed on all counts. The movie is iffy to begin with, but as soon as those CGI abominations crop up the entire movie nosedives off a bloody cliff into a pile of shit. He needs to do more movies like "Ali" where he isn't the biggest thing about the movie.

The book is fantastic - one part in particular (where he's driving home and has to fight to get back into his garage) - was absolutely terrifying as I read it. I kept reading faster and faster as the chapter progressed, and I was genuinely getting sweaty palms just from reading it.

The Last Man On Earth (with Vincent Price) was decent, and The Omega Man was cool (but is rather dated and a bit hokey these days), and I Am Legend was just pish ... like you, I too am still waiting for a proper film adaptation of the book.

Yeh, there's loads of great moments in the book..."Come out Neville!" It's easily Matheson's best story. I just wish that somebody would have the balls and make it into a film.

There are some good moments in 'The Last Man on Earth' alright, dated as it is. That part where he's burning bodies in an ever smoldering pit is kind of creepy.

The full film is available on YouTube to watch, albeit in a colourised version. If anyone hasn't seen it before, it's worth a go and it's got Vinnie in it, so that's ok.

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2013, 03:33 PM
Maniac (Franck Khalfoun, 2013):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/maniac-franck-khalfoun-2013-review.html

The remake of William Lustig's controversial and nasty 1980 slasher flick, in which Elijah Wood plays serial killer Frank who has a thing for scalps - is it any good? Read on to find out and see some screenshots.

Anyone else had a chance to check it out yet, and what did you make of the flick?

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2013, 04:05 PM
Killer Klowns From Outer Space, ParaNorman, and Buried:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/triple-bill-mini-musings-klowns-zombies.html

1) Bonkers 80s cheese from the Chiodo Brothers - what's not to like about that?
2) Family-friendly zombie horror comedy from the makers of Coraline.
3) Ryan Reynolds buried in a coffin giving claustrophobes the willies.

slickwilly13
05-Jul-2013, 05:21 PM
Maniac (Franck Khalfoun, 2013):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/maniac-franck-khalfoun-2013-review.html

The remake of William Lustig's controversial and nasty 1980 slasher flick, in which Elijah Wood plays serial killer Frank who has a thing for scalps - is it any good? Read on to find out and see some screenshots.

Anyone else had a chance to check it out yet, and what did you make of the flick?

I guess we are the only two, who have viewed it. I will continue the discussion about the movie in the other thread later on.

MinionZombie
12-Jul-2013, 04:50 PM
This Is 40, A Field In England, Valley Girl, Bare Behind Bars, and 12 Angry Men:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-40s-fields.html

1) Judd Apatow being simultaneously hilarious and overly indulgent ... plus rather out-of-touch in a financial sense.
2) British weirdness from the bloke who did Kill List - essentially English Civil War soldiers getting smashed on mushrooms and wandering around a field for 90 minutes.
3) Nicolas Cage with his chest hair shaved into a triangle saying "f*ck off, for sure!".
4) Essentially a plotless excuse to show a shitload of (in this 18-rated version) softcore porn.
5) An absolute cinematic landmark ... jaw-droppingly superb.

I also checked out "Kiss Me Deadly" (a film noir from the 1950s), which was pretty good but then veered off into "WTF?!" territory at the end with that crazy box.

MinionZombie
15-Jul-2013, 09:46 AM
Nothing to do in this sweltering heat but stay in the coolest room and watch movies...

V/H/S, The Campaign, Cars 2, and Hotel Transylvania:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-tapes.html#more

1) Anthology horror populated mostly by utter arseholes.
2) Only the bit where a baby gets punched in the face is memorable or funny.
3) Pixar being slightly less lazy with $200m than they were with Cars 1.
4) Adam Sandler continues to provide work for David Spade.

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2013, 03:47 PM
The Bloodstained Shadow (Antonio Bido, 1978) DVD Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-bloodstained-shadow-antonio-bido.html

A superb and deeply atmospheric giallo - plenty of screenshots in the review, too. :)

MinionZombie
04-Aug-2013, 12:19 PM
Cosmopolis, The Watch, From Beyond, Zulu, Savages, and Hatchet For The Honeymoon:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/hextuple-bill-mini-musings-limos-aliens.html

1) What a load of bollocks. R-Patz talking gibberish in the back of a limo, mostly.
2) A neighbourhood watch versus an alien invasion.
3) What Stuart Gordon did after Re-Animator ... gloopy 80s horror with Ken Foree in his pants wrestling a giant snake monster.
4) A classic. Nuff said.
5) Oliver Stone flick about drug lords fighting with each other ... featuring some utterly dreadful dialogue along the way.
6) Mario Bava giallo (of sorts) ... I'd have made a different movie with the basic concept ... a very stylish giallo, even if there's naff-all mystery to it ... also, not one single hatchet in the whole movie. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Eyeball (Umberto Lenzi, 1975) Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/eyeball-umberto-lenzi-1975-review.html

A giallo flick about a red-gloved killer, with a thing for left eyes, hacking their way through an American bus tour.

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2013, 10:57 AM
The World's End, Van Wilder 2 The Rise of Taj, Frankenweenie, and Killing Them Softly:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/quadruple-bill-mini-musings.html

1) The closing chapter in the Cornetto trilogy rediscovers Shaun of the Dead's sense of poignancy, in addition to the expecting tidal wave of laughs.
2) The most unoriginal movie I've seen in years ... the only plus is that it's got Lauren Cohan in it (Maggie Greene on TWD), as well as Holly Davidson.
3) Tim Burton's best filmic outing in years. It's amazing what can be accomplished when you don't cast your man-crush and your wife in every single film you make, isn't it? ;)
4) Mobsters meet the 2008 financial crash - I think this one is a little bit ahead of itself, but that it'll grow into itself over time and age well.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2013, 04:15 PM
Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key (Sergio Martino, 1972):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/your-vice-is-locked-room-and-only-i.html#more

Sergio Martino directing, Ernesto Gastaldi on scripting duties, with Anita Strindberg, Edwige Fenech, Luigi Pistilli, and Ivan Rassimov in the cast? It was always going to be a good giallo - Ned, you'll want to get your peepers all over this one - it came in-between Martino's other superior giallo flicks The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, and Torso.

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2013, 04:51 PM
The ABCs of Death:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-abcs-of-death-2013-review.html#more

Where "F" is for "Fart" (featuring Japanese school girls farting ... yes, you read that correctly), where "W" features a bikini-clad buxom blonde fighting a walrus that shoots lasers out of its eyes, and where "T" is just flat-out awesome. :D

Screenshots and a brief letter-by-letter cutting-to-the-chase review of the entire film via the link. :)

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2013, 06:39 PM
Evil Dead 2013:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/evil-dead-2013-all-out-stream-of-fan.html

I've seen it, and I've reacted to it in an extensive point-by-point nerdy analysis of the pros, cons, and wibbly-wobbly bits of the flick.

One thing's for sure - there's a shit-ton of gore in this movie, some of which really made me wince - oh, and Jane Levy rocks in this movie.

Anyone else seen it yet?

MinionZombie
28-Aug-2013, 05:52 PM
Autopsy (Armando Crispino, 1975):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/autopsy-armando-crispino-1975-review.html

Not one of the best gialli, but certainly not bad either - pretty good generally. Solar flares drive the citizens of Rome towards suicide, providing the perfect cover for a killer to go on a spree. It's kind of an out-there flick at times - the main character has hallucinations of cadavers reanimating and shagging each other in one scene.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2013, 06:13 PM
Taken 2, Machete Maidens Unleashed, and Urban Explorers:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/triple-bill-mini-musings-arse-kicking.html

1) Remember how brutal Taken was? This is the soft-scoop version ... there is an 'extended harder cut' (a phrase that, surely, sounds just a little bit pornographic :lol:), but that wasn't the one doing the rounds on Sky Movies this week rather annoyingly. Worst part? A dude gets his neck broken and there isn't a friggin' sound. :rockbrow: Still, it was nowhere near as dreadful as I was expecting.

2) A pretty groovy, over-too-soon documentary about exploitation filmmaking in the Philippines in the 1970s. Loads of cool behind-the-scenes stories.

3) UrbExers should get some fun out of this one about people getting into a spot of bother in the abandoned tunnels beneath Berlin. The villain of the piece gives a crackin' performance and steals the whole movie. Scotophobic claustrophobes might want to think twice about watching it. :D

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2013, 11:19 AM
Iron Man 3, and Reform School Girls:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/double-bill-mini-musings-iron-men-iron.html

1) I finally got around to it and I loved the Shane Black vibe of it, even with some plot holes and sketchy time scale in the middle portion.
2) No, it's not a porno. :lol: Yes, it does feature a 36 year old pretending to be a teenager. It's a semi-spoof on the 'Women in Prison' sub-genre.

Neil
18-Sep-2013, 11:48 AM
Iron Man 3, and Reform School Girls:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/double-bill-mini-musings-iron-men-iron.html

1) I finally got around to it and I loved the Shane Black vibe of it, even with some plot holes and sketchy time scale in the middle portion.
2) No, it's not a porno. :lol: Yes, it does feature a 36 year old pretending to be a teenager. It's a semi-spoof on the 'Women in Prison' sub-genre.

You sure it's not a porno? Your description is "exploitationer-c*m-spoof "!?

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2013, 04:26 PM
You sure it's not a porno? Your description is "exploitationer-c*m-spoof "!?

:p

Although certain scenes might be exactly the sort of thing you'd see in a porno - group showers, the bad girls all dressed in lingerie, etc - I assure you it's not a grubby-flick. :lol:

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2013, 04:38 PM
The Hollywood Strangler Meets The Skid Row Slasher" (1979) Review:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-hollywood-strangler-meets-skid-row.html

Complete with screenshots. One of the grubbiest, most down-and-dirty, cheap-as-chips, rough-as-a-badger's-arse flicks I've seen ... but in a good way, despite the evident flaws. It's also a nifty time capsule for the seedy side of late 1970s Los Angeles.

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2013, 04:38 PM
Chained, Alex Cross, and Ruby Sparks:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/triple-bill-mini-musings-killers-writers.html

1) From the daughter of David Lynch - one of the most unsettling films I've ever seen ... dark as fuck. Blimey.

2) Tyler Perry ... the Madea guy ... failing miserably to fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman ... ugh.

3) What if you were a writer, who wrote about their dream girl, and then woke up one day to find her very much real and living in your house?

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2013, 04:44 PM
The Las Vegas Serial Killer (Ray Dennis Steckler, 1987)
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-las-vegas-serial-killer-wolfgang.html

The half-arsed sequel to The Hollywood Strangler Meets The Skid Row Slasher, replacing a considerable portion of the original's titillation, nudity, and violence with unending sequences of tourist attractions. :| Still, there's a few good bits scattered about...

MinionZombie
23-Oct-2013, 04:52 PM
Watch Me When I Kill (Antonio Bido, 1977):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/watch-me-when-i-kill-antonio-bido-1977.html

Bido only ever made two gialli, the other being the superb "The Bloodstained Shadow" in 1978, and the above was his first foray into the genre. It's not quite as good as his second outing, but it's a very solid and worthwhile giallo flick to check out, and packs what is perhaps the most devestating final act punch of any giallo film ever made.

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2013, 04:42 PM
Ilsa She-Wolf of the SS, Ilsa Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks, and Ilsa Tigress of Siberia:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/triple-bill-mini-musings-ilsa-edition.html

A triple-dose of Dyanne Thorne's buxom badass - plenty of grot, grime, sleazy, raunch, gore, and general B-Movie craziness to fill your boots with.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2013, 05:22 PM
The Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion (Luciano Ercoli, 1970):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-forbidden-photos-of-lady-above.html

A mysterious psycho-sexual tale of bourgeois blackmail, and one of the most achingly gorgeous giallo films ever made. :cool:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2013, 04:27 PM
Seven Deaths In The Cat's Eye (Antonio Margheriti, 1973):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/seven-deaths-in-cats-eye-antonio.html

Unusually, this is a gothic giallo set in a Scottish castle. Like a clash of 1970s Italian murder mystery with British Hammer horror ... featuring a rather dodgy monkey suit.

MinionZombie
28-Nov-2013, 05:47 PM
Dick Figures The Movie, Pacific Rim, A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas, and Ban The Sadist Videos!:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-figures.html

1) The brilliantly crude and action-packed online web show went and made itself a movie!
2) What's not to like about massive mechs twatting massive beasties in the face with a feck-off big container ship?!
3) Watched it in 2D, so all the smoke-blowing 3D nonsense was lost on me ... features the most drugged-up baby ever seen on the silver screen.
4) An indispensible documentary on the 'video nasties' scare.

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2013, 06:32 PM
Silent Night (Steven C. Miller, 2012):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/silent-night-steven-c-miller-2012-dvd.html

Ho-Ho-Ho-Horror in this remake of the infamous 1984 Santa-themed slasher flick "Silent Night Deadly Night". It's also got Malcom McDowell facing-off with a flamethrower-packing and not-so-jolly Saint Nick. ;)

MinionZombie
08-Dec-2013, 06:51 PM
Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (Umberto Lenzi, 1972):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/seven-blood-stained-orchids-umberto.html

The "Half-Moon Killer" is slicing & dicing their way through Rome ... the cops have no idea ... plucky civilian tries to figure it out for himself, you get the jist. So how does it stack up against the the genre and some of Lenzi's other work? Review and screenshots via the link.

MinionZombie
11-Dec-2013, 05:05 PM
2019 After the Fall of New York (Sergio Martino, 1983):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/2019-after-fall-of-new-york-sergio.html

It's a big old cheesy Italian post-apocalyptic rip-off of several movies, but in a good way... :D

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2013, 07:24 PM
One of the best "worst films ever".

Skip to 0.13:50 for a prime example of the acting master class...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yb0iZEFUQ

AcesandEights
11-Dec-2013, 07:50 PM
Glad you got the review up so quickly, MZ!

Wish I could find that PA movie thread we had going for a while a couple of years back.

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2013, 09:59 PM

Wish I could find that PA movie thread we had going for a while a couple of years back.

Askith? Receiveth. ;)

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=10855

slickwilly13
12-Dec-2013, 12:50 AM
2019 After the Fall of New York (Sergio Martino, 1983):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/2019-after-fall-of-new-york-sergio.html

It's a big old cheesy Italian post-apocalyptic rip-off of several movies, but in a good way... :D

I have not viewed that movie in at least 20 years. Who could forget George Eastman? :D

MinionZombie
12-Dec-2013, 10:19 AM
One of the best "worst films ever".

Skip to 0.13:50 for a prime example of the acting master class...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yb0iZEFUQ

Yeah, she ain't exactly gonna give Meryl Streep a run for her money. :p Then again, seeing as all these movies were dubbed, the blame could perhaps be just for the voice actress in that part, who knows ... but yeah, subtle acting isn't exactly in this flick's wheelhouse of strengths. :D Aye, it's bad in a good way and there's some things about it that work quite well ... but acting isn't one of them. ;)

1) I ended up writing it on Sunday night, but didn't get around to posting it until last night. Give a little bit of breathing room between other reviews I'd done recently which had kind of stacked up as done-but-not-posted-yet ... now they have been ... I think I'll do "The Black Belly of the Tarantula" (a giallo) next.

2) Hmmm ... I wonder how that thread passed me by.

I have not viewed that movie in at least 20 years. Who could forget George Eastman? :D

The man pulls off some tremendous cocked eyebrows in this flick! Once he starting shooting people those looks in the flick I couldn't stop noticing how many times he does it, and it's kinda great. :D

This has whetted my appetite for the Bronx Warriors trilogy, which was on my radar somewhat, but which Capn recommended to me t'other day, so it's gone up the list ... I'll get to it sometime soon hopefully if I can find the boxset for the right price. :cool:

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2013, 01:26 PM
This has whetted my appetite for the Bronx Warriors trilogy, which was on my radar somewhat, but which Capn recommended to me t'other day...

Wait, the Bronx Warriors was a trilogy?! :eek:

shootemindehead
12-Dec-2013, 01:35 PM
This has whetted my appetite for the Bronx Warriors trilogy, which was on my radar somewhat, but which Capn recommended to me t'other day, so it's gone up the list ... I'll get to it sometime soon hopefully if I can find the boxset for the right price. :cool:

Ahem..YouTube.

Don't waste your shillings Mini.

AcesandEights
12-Dec-2013, 01:45 PM
Askith? Receiveth. ;)

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=10855

Nice, Moon! Many thanks.

You know, I couldn't find it through a standard forum search. Too many similar threads for me to plow through when I paired "movie" and "post apocalypse."

- - - Updated - - -

Ahem..YouTube.

Don't waste your shillings Mini.

Yeah, if the copy that was uploaded is good it's fine viewing. I ended up re-watching all of My Science Project one night last year when all I wanted to do was see a single clip. :)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/mqdefault_zps74e577cd.jpg

MinionZombie
15-Dec-2013, 06:07 PM
He Knows You're Alone (Armand Mastroianni, 1980):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/he-knows-youre-alone-armand-mastroianni.html

One of the earliest rip-offs of Halloween, and the feature film debut of an A-List Oscar winner ... read on to find out who it was!

Shoot - aye, but only the first of the three movies is up on there. I have been able to see some very hard-to-find, or very expensive, or out of print, flicks on YT (providing that they're actually in English, that is!). However, if it gives me a tingle I like to get it on DVD and add it to my collection ... I quite like the look of the Bronx Warriors boxset. :)

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2013, 11:43 AM
Cloud Atlas, Compliance, and Seduced & Abandoned:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/triple-bill-mini-musings.html

1) The Wachowski siblings and Tom Tykwer's really hard-to-summarise three hour sci-fi epic that's no Matrix, but shits all over Speed Racer.

2) Essentially a beat-by-unbelievably-true-beat telling of how - in actual real life - workers at a fast food joint were convinced by a voice over the phone to strip search and abuse one of their female co-workers because the voice on the phone said they were a cop. :stunned:

3) A documentary about filmmaking that spends half of the time perusing it's own colon.

shootemindehead
20-Dec-2013, 03:01 PM
'Compliance' is great. I had to get on the net to see if what they were saying was actually true.

It's incredible how bloody thick some people can be. It really is.

AcesandEights
20-Dec-2013, 03:16 PM
'Compliance' is great. I had to get on the net to see if what they were saying was actually true.

It's incredible how bloody thick some people can be. It really is.

I rememebr when this story first hit the news! :duh:

MinionZombie
03-Jan-2014, 10:15 AM
The Black Belly of the Tarantula (Paolo Cavara, 1971):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-black-belly-of-tarantula-paolo.html

Featuring perhaps the most unique Modus Operandi in the gialli genre, and quite the connection to the James Bond franchise.

Sightseers, Kick-Ass 2, This Is The End, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/quadruple-bill-mini-musings-holidays.html

1) Caravanning meets serial murder.
2) Patchy, but good on its own terms.
3) A lewd & crude fun-pocalypse.
4) Part 2 of Peter Jackson's fangasm.

A Good Day To Die Hard, and Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/double-bill-mini-musings-hard-partridge.html

1) As Neil might say, "oh dear"...
2) A rarity indeed. It's a shame they didn't use the alternate title of "Hectic Danger Day", mind.

MoonSylver
03-Jan-2014, 10:02 PM
"A Good Day to Die Hard"...I know some people didn't care for the last one, but IIRC the general consensus was positive.? I know I liked it. How they managed to take any good will from that one & fly so far off the rails was just mind boggling to me. :(

MinionZombie
04-Jan-2014, 11:41 AM
"A Good Day to Die Hard"...I know some people didn't care for the last one, but IIRC the general consensus was positive.? I know I liked it. How they managed to take any good will from that one & fly so far off the rails was just mind boggling to me. :(

Hmmm, I thought the general consensus was that Die hard 5 was shite ... I've rarely seen anything good said about it. There were a couple of good action sequences, but beyond that it was really stupid and didn't feel anything like a Die Hard movie ... and if Bruce Willis is such a grump about the movie biz, he should just retire. He looked miserable throughout DH5 ... the movie pretty joyless for the most part. Shame.

It also felt more like they spent more time trying to set up the son as the new John McClane to take over from Bruce Willis, rather than giving us a proper Die Hard movie.

MoonSylver
05-Jan-2014, 02:59 AM
Hmmm, I thought the general consensus was that Die hard 5 was shite ... I've rarely seen anything good said about it. There were a couple of good action sequences, but beyond that it was really stupid and didn't feel anything like a Die Hard movie ... and if Bruce Willis is such a grump about the movie biz, he should just retire. He looked miserable throughout DH5 ... the movie pretty joyless for the most part. Shame.

It also felt more like they spent more time trying to set up the son as the new John McClane to take over from Bruce Willis, rather than giving us a proper Die Hard movie.

Oops, I actually meant #4 "Live Free or Die Hard" & got my titles mixed up.

Yeah, sadly #5 was just terrible on so many levels. It was pretty joyless, (other than the action sequences) was pretty bland & colorless, no chemistry between the leads, could have been any generic action flick, & as you say, felt too much like they were trying to cram "Jr." down our throats (who I have no interest in BTW...) & Willis, who I usually enjoy in whatever I see him in, was just not enjoyable in this one.

As I say, how you can make that leap from the pretty good #4 to the abysmal #5 is beyond me... :(

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2014, 11:10 AM
Aye, #4 was pretty good fun ... albeit tamed down for PG-13 (the "R" rated cut was a bit of a piss take too, lame puffs of CGI blood, f-words inserted whenever someone's not facing the camera etc, but at least it felt a bit less neutered), and certain sequences being a bit too 'beyond' (riding a jet plane being the main offender) ... aside from a couple of caveats, it felt like a Die Hard movie, had an interesting central plot, a clear villain (as opposed to the very hap-hazard jumble of half-arsed villains in #5), and felt big (whereas #5 felt strangely cheap for a DH movie, as well as surprisingly brief).

DH4, I always liked it, but the PG-13 aspect always rankled ... I had to get over that and focus on the good aspects (of which there are many) ... but yeah, how on earth they could bugger up #5 so badly is beyond me. :confused:

wayzim
05-Jan-2014, 12:00 PM
Oops, I actually meant #4 "Live Free or Die Hard" & got my titles mixed up.

Yeah, sadly #5 was just terrible on so many levels. It was pretty joyless, (other than the action sequences) was pretty bland & colorless, no chemistry between the leads, could have been any generic action flick, & as you say, felt too much like they were trying to cram "Jr." down our throats (who I have no interest in BTW...) & Willis, who I usually enjoy in whatever I see him in, was just not enjoyable in this one.

As I say, how you can make that leap from the pretty good #4 to the abysmal #5 is beyond me... :(

And was a son ever mentioned in 4? I thought it would've been far more cool to set up Mary Elizabeth Winstead, as the daughter, to inherit the McClane knack for finding trouble, Guy Hollywood has no balls left it would seem. She would give us someone other than Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games to cheer for.

Wayne Z

Wayz

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that John Jr was always a part of the McClane family. They'd brought in Lucy as a full character in #4, so they must have figured "well let's do the same thing with her brother!" ... quite talented though as he can seemingly, just like his father, shrug off radiation like nobody's business. :rolleyes:

shootemindehead
05-Jan-2014, 07:44 PM
There's really just one good film in the Die Hard franchise and that's the first one and even that had some eye rolling moments.

The whole series is a prime example of an ok idea stretched out well beyond its capacity to withstand the length.

MoonSylver
05-Jan-2014, 08:08 PM
Yup, he's always had a son & daughter, all the way back to #1. Shows 'em both on camera when he talks to them on the phone. Also in the family photo on Holly's desk.

So it was no big reach that since they reintroduced Lucy in #4 that they would John Jr. in #5. And I would have been ok with that. But I think it was a HUGE mistake to make him a "bad ass CIA/Jason Bourne wannabe".

In the past part of what sold the character of John McClane was "fairly average guy in way over his head perseveres through guts and determination". If they'd have made JJ a college student on a field trip who gets caught up in something, or even a regular cop like his old man that was part of an extradition or something, that would have sold a lot better IMO.

Just that one plot element though was symptomatic of EVERYTHING that was wrong with this movie. And fixing it wouldn't have fixed everything else (but would have been a good start...)

You're right MZ, even though there WERE a couple of PRETTY BIG action pieces that were quite spectacular, the whole movie "felt" very small. :confused: The whole was greatly reduced from the sum of its parts. :(

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2014, 10:25 AM
Sorority House Massacre 2 (Jim Wynorski, 1990):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/sorority-house-massacre-2-jim-wynorski.html

You know those stereotypical jokey versions of slasher movies that you'd see in, or referenced by, various movies or TV shows? That's exactly what "Sorority House Massacre 2" is ... teenage boys in the 1990s must have flipped their shit over this flick ... the sort of movie where lingerie-clad beauties have a spot of bother with a Ouija board and just so happen to get caught in the rain. ;)

There's really just one good film in the Die Hard franchise and that's the first one and even that had some eye rolling moments.

Wash your mouth out with soap! :stunned: :D

To each their own. 1 and 3 are awesome, while 2 and 4 are solid entertainment. 5 can do one though, load of shite.

But I think it was a HUGE mistake to make him a "bad ass CIA/Jason Bourne wannabe".

In the past part of what sold the character of John McClane was "fairly average guy in way over his head perseveres through guts and determination". If they'd have made JJ a college student on a field trip who gets caught up in something, or even a regular cop like his old man that was part of an extradition or something, that would have sold a lot better IMO.

Just that one plot element though was symptomatic of EVERYTHING that was wrong with this movie. And fixing it wouldn't have fixed everything else (but would have been a good start...)

You're right MZ, even though there WERE a couple of PRETTY BIG action pieces that were quite spectacular, the whole movie "felt" very small. :confused: The whole was greatly reduced from the sum of its parts. :(

Yeah, there were some major WTF moments that could have easily been fixed ... for example, the two Johns don't feel the need to wear radioative protection, but the bad guys do (well, except for the bad guy henchmen!) ... what they could have done to fix that bizarre thing would be to have them steal some from some henchmen and infiltrate Pripyat (interchangeable with Chernobyl in DH5 though :rolleyes:) and it could have been masks that shows the full face so we'd know who was who. I suppose it would have made the resultant roof-top tussle more awkward, but maybe they shouldn't have put them into a flippin' radioactive location! Sure, it's not as bad as it once was, but if the bad guys need protection, so do the good guys ... until they spray some magic gas around and then apparently there's no radiation! :rockbrow:

Yeah, you're bang-on about John Jr - too hard nut capable ... indeed both of them were too capable, leaping out of massive windows, falling great heights and landing in rubble without killing themselves, etc etc. Such a dumb movie and a slap in the face to the franchise ... it was directed by the guy who made the dreadful "Max Payne" movie too, so that's partly an explanation. :rolleyes:

bassman
06-Jan-2014, 01:05 PM
I imagine DH5 might make the haters of DH4 look back and reconsider giving it another try. But yeah...1 & 3 are still the best.

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2014, 03:54 PM
Hard To Die: Sorority House Massacre 3 (Jim Wynorski, 1990):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/hard-to-die-aka-sorority-house-massacre.html

It's like 'Die Hard', but with more lingerie, or like 'Sorority House Massacre 2', but without the sorority house and with more shower scenes... :lol:

I imagine DH5 might make the haters of DH4 look back and reconsider giving it another try. But yeah...1 & 3 are still the best.

Aye. Die Hard 5 makes Die Hard 4 look like Die Hard 1.

And it makes me think, DH5 is the latest in a long-running franchise - it's well known throughout the world - so, really, you don't need Bruce Willis to go and sell the movie on a promo tour, and Willis is rich and powerful enough to just refuse to do the promo tour ... so if he doesn't want to do the promo tour, why doesn't he just say no to it and not be a complete grouch on TV? They might say a promo tour without Willis would be weird and uncomfortable, but it would be more comfy than his appearance on The One Show promoting DH5. :p

MoonSylver
06-Jan-2014, 08:12 PM
Sounds like I need to go back & check out these Sorority House Massacre flicks. They sound right up my alley. :D I've been filling in the spotty gaps in my Slasher movie pedigree, so now would be a good time. ;)

Have you checked out the "Cold Prey" series from Norway MZ? Just saw those recently. Fell instantly in love. Nothing really new or innovative about them, but they capture everything that is right about the old school Slasher to a "T". The first 2 were fantastic, the 3rd meh, but still worth seeing just to round the series out. :)

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2014, 09:07 PM
Sounds like I need to go back & check out these Sorority House Massacre flicks. They sound right up my alley. :D I've been filling in the spotty gaps in my Slasher movie pedigree, so now would be a good time. ;)

Have you checked out the "Cold Prey" series from Norway MZ? Just saw those recently. Fell instantly in love. Nothing really new or innovative about them, but they capture everything that is right about the old school Slasher to a "T". The first 2 were fantastic, the 3rd meh, but still worth seeing just to round the series out. :)

I'm sure SHM 2 & 3 would be right up your alley, Moon, you saucy old bastard. :D

They're full-on cheesy, and the plots are threadbare, but they're totally aware of what they're doing and they just get sillier and sillier and stand out as doing their own weird kind of thing, as opposed to the first Sorority House Massacre, which was a bit too much indebted to Halloween and trying to emulate that kinda thing, whereas SHM2&3 just do what they wanna do - hot chicks in their undies running around beating the shit out of a hefty dude. Total direct-to-VHS fun ... exactly the kind of flicks you'd have wanted to rent from a video store and had a few drinks with.

Haven't heard of "Cold Prey", I'll keep a look out for them. Thanks for the heads up. :)

MoonSylver
07-Jan-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm sure SHM 2 & 3 would be right up your alley, Moon, you saucy old bastard. :D

http://www.monitoringsoftwareblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2009-06-08-sneaky.jpg

Haven't heard of "Cold Prey", I'll keep a look out for them. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I think you'll dig it. :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2014, 04:31 PM
Love Goddess of the Cannibals (Joe D'Amato, 1978):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/love-goddess-of-cannibals-joe-damato.html

A flesh-filled sleaze-fest in which a woman bites off a man's todger within five minutes of the movie starting! :stunned:

Right up Moon's alley then, clearly. ;)

MoonSylver
12-Jan-2014, 04:50 PM
Love Goddess of the Cannibals (Joe D'Amato, 1978):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/love-goddess-of-cannibals-joe-damato.html

A flesh-filled sleaze-fest in which a woman bites off a man's todger within five minutes of the movie starting! :stunned:

Right up Moon's alley then, clearly. ;)

:eek: No teeth! ;)

I actually am not into the cannibal films...just not my thing...:|

I was planning on stopping by today to give you a couple more recommends anyway, so blog update was timely. "Sweatshop" and "Kids Go To The Woods...Kids Get Dead". Both a couple of fun little low budget 80's slasher throwbacks,

"Sweatshop" is a grotty, goth & punk cast filled gore fest, & a killer with a "smashing" weapon ;)

"Kids Get Dead" is fun & replete with a "USA Up All Night" horror hostess & faux "pauses" on the "VHS Tape" as they go to & from mock commercials :)

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2014, 09:51 AM
:eek: No teeth! ;)

I actually am not into the cannibal films...just not my thing...:|

I was planning on stopping by today to give you a couple more recommends anyway, so blog update was timely. "Sweatshop" and "Kids Go To The Woods...Kids Get Dead". Both a couple of fun little low budget 80's slasher throwbacks,

"Sweatshop" is a grotty, goth & punk cast filled gore fest, & a killer with a "smashing" weapon ;)

"Kids Get Dead" is fun & replete with a "USA Up All Night" horror hostess & faux "pauses" on the "VHS Tape" as they go to & from mock commercials :)

Thanks for the recommendations, Moon - I'll add them to the list. :) "Kids Get Dead" sounds quite interesting with that VHS tape aesthetic you describe ... there was an element of that used in "Father's Day", which is a great little flick you should definitely check out if you have the chance.

As for "Love Goddess of the Cannibals", there's literally two brief moments of cannibalism that are very, very brief ... the worst gore moment is actually two dead pigs having their blood drained and guts yanked out ... aside from that, D'Amato is far more interested in the curves of his "Love Goddess" leading ladies. Like I say in the review, Cannibal Holocaust it most definitely ain't.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2014, 05:01 PM
Satan's Baby Doll (Mario Bianchi, 1982):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/satans-baby-doll-mario-bianchi-1982-dvd.html

Another dose of European sauce, this time in the form of possession and sexual perversion within the cold stone walls of a castle.

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2014, 04:44 PM
The Beast In Space (Alfonso Brecia, 1980):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-beast-in-space-alfonso-brescia-1980.html

So downright bonkers it has to be seen to be believed. Ropey special effects, inconsistent boob shot inserts, a poor man's Han Solo, and a comically gigantic beast-todger... :lol:

MoonSylver
16-Jan-2014, 08:42 PM

Sounds like fun. If you like spaghetti space opera, you should check out "Starcrash", staring the lovely Caroline Munro. :kiss: :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

shootemindehead
17-Jan-2014, 07:37 AM
I remember my uncle put a video of 'Starcrash' on for me when I was a kid. He thought I was going to lap it up, like 'Star Wars'. I don't think he knew what it was even about. I was like WTF am I watching, although I was still fascinated.

I think Caroline Munro had a lot to do with that...er...fascination.

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2014, 10:04 AM

Sounds like fun. If you like spaghetti space opera, you should check out "Starcrash", staring the lovely Caroline Munro. :kiss: :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

Compared to "The Beast In Space" that looks like Avatar! I'll add it to the list. Caroline Munro in a space bikini? Oh, go on then... ;)

I think Caroline Munro had a lot to do with that...er...fascination.

Whenever I think of Caroline Munro, I think of this:

M6mfgMCameQ

MinionZombie
24-Jan-2014, 10:41 AM
V/H/S/2, and The Seasoning House:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/double-bill-mini-musings-horror-show.html

1) A decidedly superior sequel to the anthology horror.
2) As bleak as bleak can be.

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2014, 05:31 PM
Chained Heat (Paul Nicolas, 1983):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/chained-heat-paul-nicolas-1983-dvd.html

Linda Blair versus John Vernon versus Sybil Danning in a hellish Los Angeles women's prison - flesh, fights, 80s synth, you know the score - one of the best 'women in prison' genre movies ever made.

MinionZombie
27-Feb-2014, 10:44 AM
Red Heat (Robert Collector, 1985):
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/red-heat-robert-collector-1985-dvd.html

Linda Blair's gone and found herself locked up in a bleak East German prison ... that's a bit of a bugger, isn't it?

Machete Kills, Our RoboCop Remake, Fast & Furious 6, Hitchcock, and Oblivion:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/pentuple-bill-mini-musings-mayhem-and.html

1) Good fun, but the cast is far too big, the running time is overlong, and it's a touch too goofy.
2) Fans remake Verhoeven's flick scene-by-scene.
3) A strange experience in the light of Paul Walker's death ... but watching Michelle Rodriguez and Gina Carano smash seven bells out of each other is stunning.
4) Surprisingly light weight, but period filmmaking detail saves it.
5) Very stylish, not particularly original.