PDA

View Full Version : An important announcement

JDFP
21-Jan-2012, 02:18 AM
Hello friends here at HPotD.

I have an important announcement to make. This is something that has been on my mind for some time. In fact, I've given great consideration to this subject and reflected on this matter for some time. I've also prayed upon this matter for greater clarity to ensure that I was correct in my assessment. In fact, I'd dare say this announcement shall not come as too much of a profound shock to many members here who have come to appreciate my fine company over the years. And, thus, without further adieu, after much contemplation and consideration I have decided to share my finding here with you fine folks:

I frakkin' love beer.

Milwaukee's Best. Pabst Blue Ribbon. Budweiser. Real beer (i.e. none of that horseshit that begins with the word 'Lite' in front of it) is absolutely one of the greatest inventions of humanity. If I could discover the man who created beer I would feel no shame in admitting I'd gladly take him into my arms in a giant bear hug and tell him he's my hero.

And God approves too! Was it a coincidence that Christ's first miracle was turning water into some damn good high-proof alcoholic wine? Oh no. I say not!

So, tonight, I lift up my fine Milwaukee's Best (Premium!) in a salute to the Lords of Kobol (Milwaukee's Best, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Budweiser) and say: "Thank ye, sai!".

Indeed, there is no greater joy in this world than coming to know the joys of fine, fine American piss-beer for the nourishment of not only the body but the soul as well.

That's all. Carry on now.

j.p.

Mr.G
21-Jan-2012, 02:39 AM
Well said. I'll going to finish off my Sam Adams winter lager in honor of your post.

Here's to BEER!

AcesandEights
21-Jan-2012, 02:59 AM
I frakkin' love beer.

Well, a Mormon snuck into your signature, and I don't think he approves. :p

JDFP
21-Jan-2012, 03:05 AM
Well, a Mormon snuck into your signature, and I don't think he approves. :p

Well the LDS in Mormon does stand for Let's Do Soda. But I'll try not to hold it against him.

No one is perfect after all. Now if John Wayne was running for president - six packs of smokes a day with all his scenes being shot before noon because he's an angry drunk after noon, now that would be my vote!

j.p.

krisvds
21-Jan-2012, 06:06 AM
As a Belgian I can only say that no American beer comes to close to our fine selections (over a hundred!) Try some Stella, Jupiler, Leffe, Duvel, any Trappist, ...
Budweiser? Ha. It's regarded as 'for pussies' over here. No joke.

Tricky
21-Jan-2012, 07:22 AM
A very good announcement sir!
Krisvds - Belgian beer is definitely the best, I went to the beer festival in Bruges in September '10 and tried everything there, gorgeous beers! My particular favourites being brugse zot, delirium tremens, delirium nocturnum & Straffe Hendrick. I went on the tour of de halve maan brewery too so got some ice cold zot straight off the production line, beer heaven! I have a friend & work colleague in zeebrugge that I'm hopefully coming over to see again soon so I'll be filling my boot with your fine beer on the way back! I've found a place in York that sells all the Belgian stuff that nobody else seems to import too so I keep a stash at home :D

krisvds
21-Jan-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah, Delirium tremens is very nice indeed. If you ever come across a 'Rochefort' or 'Chimay' over in York don't hesitate! Those are two 'Trappist' beers. Brewed by monks, only 7 exist in the world. 6 of which are brewn in Belgium. Very tasty. But take care, they can leave you with quite the hangover as well ;)
Perhaps it's better for JDFP's health he can't get his thirsty hands on those mean babies over in the States huh?

Tricky
21-Jan-2012, 09:09 AM
Yeah I'm not sure America can handle these real beers just yet :p I think I've tried Chimay actually, and I've definitely seen it in the shop in York so I'll add it to my shopping list next time :cool:

shootemindehead
21-Jan-2012, 02:28 PM
Phew...

...I thought you were going to say something trivial there JD. :)

Anyway, Guinness or Heineken?

It's like Sophie's bleedin choice...

Mike70
21-Jan-2012, 04:25 PM
am i the only person who no longer drinks on this site?!

BillyRay
21-Jan-2012, 08:35 PM

Hey Mike,
There's a lot of sites I don't drink on.

I do the majority of my drinking in the so-called "Real World".

Mike70
21-Jan-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey Mike,
There's a lot of sites I don't drink on.

I do the majority of my drinking in the so-called "Real World".

ba-doom-boom (cymbal crash)

Rancid Carcass
22-Jan-2012, 02:30 AM
Anyway, Guinness or Heineken?

Guinness everytime - it's one of your five-a-day! Or at least it should be... ;)

SymphonicX
22-Jan-2012, 04:02 PM
You prayed to God to get clarity on how much you love beer? Makes sense...!

Last beer I had...

*thinking*

*thinking*

Seriously this is though, it's been 20/30 seconds now.

Christ. I don't remember. I know I had a few this year just gone...Couple of beers at a restaurant...the last I really remember was my fiance's birthday, May 5th 2011, at a Mexican restaurant...I must have had a beer since then....surely?!?

Nope, I believe that was the last beer I had....may 5th, 2011. Before that was January, 2011, and before that was January 2010....

Suffice to say, not a big drinker myself...but I really do enjoy a nice beer in the hot weather, a good book, a smoke and a guitar session in a garden somewhere - that's pure relaxation for me.

EvilNed
22-Jan-2012, 05:12 PM

I'm practically sober myself. I only drink vodka four or five times a week.

SymphonicX
22-Jan-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm practically sober myself. I only drink vodka four or five times a week.

So, that's every other day then....?

EvilNed
22-Jan-2012, 06:14 PM
So, that's every other day then....?

Hmm, well, I suppose, if you follow western capitalists idea of "week"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_calendar

Mike70
22-Jan-2012, 07:32 PM
funny russia's insistence on using probably one of the worst calendars that has ever been invented.

bassman
22-Jan-2012, 08:00 PM
I try to avoid conversations on alcoholic beverages because it always ends with either...

A. "Americans drink shit beer. They have only two beers and nothing from outside of their country."

B. "I drink more than you, my choice of drinks are better, and i'm a better drinker for it."

Both of which are ridiculous statements that pop up over and over again. Already seen multiple times in this thread, actually...

SymphonicX
22-Jan-2012, 08:02 PM
funny russia's insistence on using probably one of the worst calendars that has ever been invented.

It's shit like that calendar which gave communism a bad name...awful

But very admirable that EvilNed bases his vodka drinking on the Russian calendar....lol

Publius
23-Jan-2012, 10:06 AM
As a Belgian I can only say that no American beer comes to close to our fine selections (over a hundred!) Try some Stella, Jupiler, Leffe, Duvel, any Trappist, ...
Budweiser? Ha. It's regarded as 'for pussies' over here. No joke.

Stella Artois is pretty decent for a macrobrew adjunct lager, but that's still what it is. I prefer lots of malt to corn/maize or rice. (God invented corn for bourbon, and barley for beer.) I do really like traditional Belgian ales. Chimay is pricy but excellent. There's a brewery in New York, Brewery Ommegang, that makes pretty decent bottle-conditioned Belgian-style ales. It was actually purchased from its founder by Duvel Moortgat a few years ago.

JDFP
23-Jan-2012, 02:19 PM
I try to avoid conversations on alcoholic beverages because it always ends with either...

A. "Americans drink shit beer. They have only two beers and nothing from outside of their country."

B. "I drink more than you, my choice of drinks are better, and i'm a better drinker for it."

Both of which are ridiculous statements that pop up over and over again. Already seen multiple times in this thread, actually...

As an American I do drink shit beer - and I love it! I wouldn't trade in my cheap piss-poor Pabst Blue Ribbon or Beast (i.e. Milwaukee's Best for the great unwashed) for any fine lager in the world. The only beer I refuse to drink is Natural Light or Natural Ice - and that's because I have *some* minor standards as a human being.

I think we have other beers in the U.S. other than domestic stuff - them thar' fancy people like to drink 'em. Beast works good enough for me. A Budweiser for me works in a special situation.

:p:cool:

j.p.

Mike70
23-Jan-2012, 03:10 PM
i think what JD is getting at is that he is way more interested in the effect of beer than in bantering over its taste. i mean who really cares? couple of hours at most you'll be pissing it out anyway.

krisvds
23-Jan-2012, 03:12 PM

Nope. Never said either actually. Belgian beers are, on average, better than those brewn in the US. Nothing ridiculous abouy that. Just like French wines are, on average better than say, German. Or American commercial films are, on average, better than say Bollywood productions ...

AcesandEights
23-Jan-2012, 04:01 PM
Moved to Lounge.

LouCipherr
23-Jan-2012, 06:49 PM
ANOTHER important announcement:

I LIKE BACON.

/thread

:lol:

krisvds
24-Jan-2012, 01:11 PM
ANOTHER important announcement:

I LIKE BACON.

/thread

:lol:

Hahahaha. Well done. Wasn't this some kind of running joke among some of the regulars here? Can't remember.

As a Belgian I would like to add that I really like fries and that our fries are WAY better than those French!
Oh, and chocolate too.

AcesandEights
24-Jan-2012, 01:46 PM
As a Belgian I would like to add that I really like fries and that our fries are WAY better than those French!

Better than Freedom Fries!?

I will say, from what little I've had of Belgian fare, I've always found it delightfully hedonistic. Nice rich tastes, from my experience.

Mike70
24-Jan-2012, 02:56 PM
Better than Freedom Fries!?

nah. freedom fries surrendered and are French again.

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2012, 04:58 PM
Hahahaha. Well done. Wasn't this some kind of running joke among some of the regulars here? Can't remember.

Shhhhhh! We know nothing about this running joke you speak of. (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17668-My-incredibly-sick-obsession-with.....-BACON!)

:D

Mike70
24-Jan-2012, 11:56 PM
Shhhhhh! We know nothing about this running joke you speak of. (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17668-My-incredibly-sick-obsession-with.....-BACON!)

:D

HA! Lou once tried to get married in a suit made of bacon. the wedding was cancelled when every stray dog from 6 counties raided the chapel.

Lou has bacon as a midnight snack.

Lou puts bacon ON his cornflakes.

in the 80s, Lou used to crush up the crispy parts and snort them. it took three interventions to get him down off the shit.

Lou has a couch made out of bacon. it's his quiet place.

krisvds
25-Jan-2012, 04:17 AM
Wow. I really shouldn't have clicked that link. My mind is reeling. Speechless ...
:)

LouCipherr
25-Jan-2012, 02:26 PM
HA! Lou once tried to get married in a suit made of bacon. the wedding was cancelled when every stray dog from 6 counties raided the chapel.

Lou has bacon as a midnight snack.

Lou puts bacon ON his cornflakes.

in the 80s, Lou used to crush up the crispy parts and snort them. it took three interventions to get him down off the shit.

Lou has a couch made out of bacon. it's his quiet place.

Mike - do you know me personally? How did you know all this? :lol: :lol:

I have to admit though, I've relapsed on the snorting of the crispy parts of the bacon. I blame MZ and Zombie Man for my relapse. :p

Wow. I really shouldn't have clicked that link. My mind is reeling. Speechless ...

Welcome to my world, man. It's a bit greasy, but it tastes sooooooooooooooo good. :D