PDA

View Full Version : MPAA rep outright states on fox news buying and threatening politicians

Danny
21-Jan-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120120/14472117492/mpaa-directly-publicly-threatens-politicians-who-arent-corrupt-enough-to-stay-bought.shtml

Jesus christ. I feel sorry for american members that this is the behind doors shit they have controlling their lives.

Though im sure it happens here too, but bloody hell, this year its like this 'media run police state nightmare america' prediction of so many sci-fi novels is coming to pass. i mean even 20 years ago admitting this would've got this dude in prison.

Guess not so much when thats whose paying and bribing those in power huh?

EvilNed
21-Jan-2012, 02:12 PM
and here I thought you supported politicians because you agreed with their politics, oh well.

In 2012, politics are dead anyway.

Mike70
21-Jan-2012, 07:17 PM
this is why representative govt. is one of the most pernicious evils ever to raise its head on planet earth. the "democracy" we practice has nothing to do with the democracy of ancient greece or the roman republic.

govt. by public assembly, where the people themselves are the legislative body, is the only way to go.

this is what allowing the bill of rights to apply to corporations gets you.

the time is rapidly coming where the only cure for this sort of shit is for us to go to Washington with guns and run every single one of those bastards out of there. I am not a believer in either compromise or peaceful solutions.

guess that's why i'm so interested in apocalyptic scenarios and so thankful that my son no longer lives in this wretched fucking country that i am rapidly coming to detest.

LouCipherr
23-Jan-2012, 06:37 PM
the "democracy" we practice has nothing to do with the democracy of ancient greece or the roman republic.

govt. by public assembly, where the people themselves are the legislative body, is the only way to go.

It's funny you say that Mike, 'cause I've been trying for YEARS to get people to understand that here in the USA, we do not live in a "democracy." When people look at me puzzled then start flaming me for being stupid, I ask them to remember that little thing we used to recite every day at school called the "Pledge of Allegiance" that starts off like this:

"I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands..."

These people said this every single day of their childhood life and never took heed of the words they were speaking. *shakes head* Words do matter. A democracy and a republic are two different things - and you are almost right:

where the people themselves are the legislative body, is the only way to go

I agree 100%, but only if you have an educated public. Unfortunately, half of the bozos in this country are willing to elect the likes of Obama again (or, perhaps, Romney) so I'm not sure "educated" is the right word to use for them. *shakes head in disbelief*

but I digress....

Is anyone surprised that the MPAA (and I'm sure the RIAA and many other of these "entertainment" related companies) would pull something like this? I mean, c'mon, the MPAA and RIAA are the "mob" of our current day.

krakenslayer
24-Jan-2012, 10:50 AM
Well, it's Fox News; he probably thought no one smart enough to care would be listening.

the "democracy" we practice has nothing to do with the democracy of ancient greece or the roman republic.

Yeah, but in fairness, the democracy practiced back then isn't what most people would call democracy today either. All citizens had a say in whatever went down, but their definition of citizen was much more exclusive than our own. It was basically a council of the rich and powerful. Although, with stuff like this MPAA/RIAA/SOPA shit, we could be heading for something like that again.

I think I agree. And I think for the first time in history, we have the technology to make a true public assembly, of EVERYONE, a reality.