PDA

View Full Version : Introduced a long time friend to the holy dead trinity...

Thorn
30-Jan-2012, 02:53 AM
So a long time friend of mine recently expressed interest in my zombie addiction, I invited him down and over the course of two nights we watched Night, Dawn, and Day. All of the original Romero offerings of course.

Much to what we had discussed and thought, he received Day the most well of the lot, and cited the improved make up, and atmospheric feel for the reasons why. Also improved acting.

Next up will be Land, and then Diary. Like them or not and then I will move on to Survival. I am not goign to say anythign to taint him as to his opinion of them and I am going to see what his take is as a non-fanatic/fan-boy.

I think it will be interesting to see.

Neil
30-Jan-2012, 11:17 AM
So a long time friend of mine recently expressed interest in my zombie addiction, I invited him down and over the course of two nights we watched Night, Dawn, and Day. All of the original Romero offerings of course.

Much to what we had discussed and thought, he received Day the most well of the lot, and cited the improved make up, and atmospheric feel for the reasons why. Also improved acting.

Next up will be Land, and then Diary. Like them or not and then I will move on to Survival. I am not goign to say anythign to taint him as to his opinion of them and I am going to see what his take is as a non-fanatic/fan-boy.

I think it will be interesting to see.
Don't forget Night 90!!! I suspect if he enjoyed Day, he'll like Night90 too!

Adrenochrome
30-Jan-2012, 12:21 PM
FUN! I love introducing friends of mine to the Dead! :)

bassman
30-Jan-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree with Neil.....you gotta throw in Night90 at some point! Any plans on branching away from the Romero universe?

Neil
30-Jan-2012, 12:54 PM
I agree with Neil.....you gotta throw in Night90 at some point! Any plans on branching away from the Romero universe?

Especially before Land or Survival etc... As it's far better IMHO.

bassman
30-Jan-2012, 01:15 PM
Especially before Land or Survival etc... As it's far better IMHO.

Agreed. Day and Night90 are usually the first two I use to introduce the series. Everyone has already seen the original Night and Dawn hasn't aged well, so Day and Night90 are the best way to ease someone into the franchise. Then work them up to Dawn, followed by Land. I would probably just skip Dairy and Survival, tbh. Maybe replace them with Shaun or The Walking Dead. Although i'm very interested to see how Thorn's friend reacts to Diary and Survival without being told about them beforehand...

krisvds
30-Jan-2012, 03:20 PM
One of my colleagues called himself a fan of al things zombie. Turns out he hadn't seen a Romero 'Dead' film in his life and had just been playing Left4dead, Resi,...
He did see the Dawn remake, Zombieland and Shaun. So I did what every sane person would do and gave him the original Dawn...
Needless to say he was VERY impressed by it and calls it one of the best horrorfilms he had ever seen. Despite it firmly belonging to the late seventies he didn't have a problem with that. It stood the test of time better than some of us here who have seen it countless times suspect. The script and atmosphere in that film, the intelligence of it all coupled to the sheer fun factor still works IMO.
Nice bonus this guy now absolutely loathes Dawn04 and told me they did THAT with the source material they had? Didn't they get it?
Bought him a beer afterwards and sent him home with Day and the original Night ...

bassman
30-Jan-2012, 03:32 PM
One of my colleagues called himself a fan of al things zombie. Turns out he hadn't seen a Romero 'Dead' film in his life and had just been playing Left4dead, Resi,...

I know what you mean. I visit another forum for The Walking Dead and there are SOOOO many people on there that claim they're huge zombie fans yet they haven't seen Romero's films. It's sad really. They talk all day about Resident Evil and cheap zombie films, but when I post a thread about the man and trilogy that basically invented this genre, it goes largely without response. I don't see HOW they've never seen these films. It's like they don't watch anything prior to 1990....

Glad to hear your friend loved Dawn, though! I always get the opposite reaction. They like Night and love Day, but then say they can't enjoy Dawn as much because it hasn't aged as well.