PDA

View Full Version : Death Wish remake

Neil
01-Feb-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, it was bound to happen :)

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Joe-Carnahan-Confirms-He-Remaking-Death-Wish-Says-It-Set-Los-Angeles-29159.html

Sammich
01-Feb-2012, 09:59 PM
Nooooo!!!!

There ALREADY have been remakes of Death Wish, maybe not in title but the plots sure look suspiciously similar. Jodie Foster in The Brave One and Sally Field in Eye for and Eye.

They tried to remake Fright Night but failed because Roddy McDowall's portrayal of Peter Vincent was what brought the 2 movies to life. A Death Wish remake will fail also because there won't be a Charles Bronson. Liam Neeson as Paul Kersey, uh no. He is a fine actor but it will look just like the previous "vigilante" movie he did called Taken.

What made these movies so popular was that they featured ordinary people placed into extraordinary situations. Peter Vincent was an aging horror movie actor on the decline and could only find work hosting late night horror movies at a local tv station. Paul Kersey (pacifist Korean war medic) was just another middle class working stiff that could be anyone's neighbor. They were both confronted with a turning point and the underdogs became heroes.

I'll bet in the remake it will be an ex-navy seals special forces halo green beret in his late 30s or early 40s (Bronson was 53 in DW1) who looks like he stepped out of the pages of GQ magazine and is the owner of a multi-million dollar internet company married to an america's top model wife.

I really wish that Hollywood would quit tampering with classic movies and come up with original ideas.

Purge
02-Feb-2012, 08:37 PM
As much as I think this blows goats and ladders, I'll check it out. Bronson was one of my faves, as was the original series.