PDA

View Full Version : Faster more econimcal hard drives

Neil
08-Feb-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/emerging-tech/2012/02/08/heat-promises-to-speed-up-hard-disk-data-storage-40095001/

"Instead of using a magnetic field to record information on a magnetic medium, we harnessed much stronger internal forces and recorded information using only heat," York physicist Thomas Ostler said in a statement on Tuesday.

"This revolutionary method allows the recording of terabytes of information per second, hundreds of times faster than present hard-drive technology. As there is no need for a magnetic field, there is also less energy consumption," Ostler explained.

SymphonicX
08-Feb-2012, 02:00 PM
it's all true - harddrives are f**king slow. Upgrading from a 5400rpm to a 72000rpm did NOTHING for my machine's performance. Diddly squat.

So I started doing research and having a think about SSD drives - we all know they are good, but the capacity is shite for the price - you just can't pick up a 1tb SSD drive for anything close to respectable.

Then I found this:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1282/pg1/ocz-revodrive-hybrid-pcie-100gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-review-introduction.html

The OCZ Revodrive 1tb SSD PCI-e drive. Phenomenally powerful:

910mbs data transfer speed
120,000 IO processes per second (standard SSD drives are between 60,000 and 80,000 IOPS - a standard harddrive is just 80....not 80,000, just 80.)

It's a 2.5 inch harddrive attached to a 100gb SSD that runs in your PCI-e slot (either 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x slots) - the system itself manages your most used data and stores this on the SSD - swapping out data that you never use with data that's more frequently used.

The online reviews just don't do it justice - it's phenomenally fast and boots up my computer to a useable state within 5 seconds after the welcome screen. No more harddrive lag occurs on my PC whatsoever.

The new drives in this article will no doubt piss all over the revodrive 1tb, but for anyone who's thinking of moving over to a super fast harddrive - ditch the SSD Sata drives for an OCZ revodrive, but check your MB supports it!