View Full Version : An American remake of Only Fools and Horses.

DeadJonas190
24-Feb-2012, 05:59 AM
I know of this great show because of my fiance, she is from Surrey. I read yesterday they are doing an American remake starring John Leguizamo of all people as Del boy. As an American I am annoyed that they are remaking such a great show, but at least it will bring interest to the original series, which is sitting on my DVD shelf in its entirety.

So, since a lot of members are from England, what do you guys think of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2104749/John-Leguizamo-cast-Del-Boy-US-remake-Only-Fools-And-Horses.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Danny
24-Feb-2012, 06:58 AM
not too bothered, it wont be the same, but the core idea of a swindling, wheeling and dealing con man with good intentions could work in an american setting and whilst hes different to the david jasons style of acting i could see leguizamo doing a decent american del boy.
rodney on the other hand could be a lot harder to cast in terms of getting someone o fit that specific brotherly dynamic though.

Tricky
24-Feb-2012, 09:38 AM
I really dont understand why they always have to remake all our programs American style instead of just watching it in the way it was originally intended, like Life on Mars, Only fools, The Office etc. Its not like we speak a different language, even if we do use a bit of local dialect or accent. It may open some minds if they could show that there are other people in the world other than americans and terrorists. Here in England they just broadcast the american shows and we have no trouble understanding them :confused:

AcesandEights
24-Feb-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't care about Brit shows being remade for US audiences, or vice versa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_programmes_based_on_Ame rican_television_series). The new versions can be made to suit cultural preferences, but waaaaay more importantly, this way creates a slew of actual jobs and paid man hours that just re-airing the British versions wouldn't accomplish. So thank you for helping to stimulate our economy, UK, and you're welcome for the crappy reality tv shows we've foisted upon you lo' these many years.

Plus, to top it all off...it's the digital age (still, I think), so any show getting major buzz in the UK will eventually be viewable via electronic media (yep, even legal electronic media) by us stateside.

Cykotic
25-Feb-2012, 02:00 AM
no.... just no. I mean, WTF??

hear that sound? That's John Sullivan rolling in his grave

DeadJonas190
25-Feb-2012, 08:31 AM
Until my fiance had told me about Only Fools I had never even heard of it as I don't believe it ever aired here in the States. I do find it funny that the show is being made here around a year after John Sullivan passed. I wonder if he had any say in the matter before his death and it would be interesting to find out the answer to that. I hope the show is good so as not to dirty the name of the original, but I don't have much faith that it will be, the original is just too good.