PDA

View Full Version : 4 gun nuts what would you want/make in the zombie apocalypse

WVsurvivalist2
27-Feb-2012, 04:55 AM
for me rifle 1)ar 15 2)Ak47 3)ruger mini 14 4)9mm carbine 5)30-30 carbine
side arms 1)glock 23 2)kel-tec plr 16 3)kel-tec pmr-30 4)kimber 1911 5)uzi shotguns 1)kel-tec ksg 2) remington tac 870
other 1)machete 2) baseball 3) hatchet 4) crossbow
at least one preson has a .22 carbine I would have at least one .22 hand gun

Christopher Jon
27-Feb-2012, 03:06 PM
for me rifle 1)ar 15 2)Ak47 3)ruger mini 14 4)9mm carbine 5)30-30 carbine
side arms 1)glock 23 2)kel-tec plr 16 3)kel-tec pmr-30 4)kimber 1911 5)uzi shotguns 1)kel-tec ksg 2) remington tac 870
other 1)machete 2) baseball 3) hatchet 4) crossbow
at least one preson has a .22 carbine I would have at least one .22 hand gun
Jesus, come back down to earth man. What do you need all of that for?

I'll take a shotgun and a baseball bat. Both simple and effective.

Rancid Carcass
27-Feb-2012, 03:43 PM
You might want to pack a few silencers in there, that's quite a lot of firepower and I'd imagine it makes a fair bit of noise... as the great Roy Schieder once said - it's like ringing the dinner bell for christsakes! Of course being a Brit what do I know about guns and ammo - I'll be making do with a 'paddle' bat and a packet of pork scratchings! :D

fulci fan
28-Feb-2012, 12:37 AM
Depending on what state you live in, you could find a bunch of cool guns. AR 15's and Ak's are more available than most people think. My first gun I would go to would be my vz 58. my sidearm would be my Ruger p-89. I really want to get a DPMS Panther 20" Classic. You can also order many different types of ammo online including incendiary ammo :D.

rightwing401
28-Feb-2012, 01:13 PM
A nice collection of impressive weapons, and would certainly be very effective in a prolongued siege situation. The problem that I think a lot of zombie fans don't realize is just how much ammo you can carry on you if you need to be mobile. While I've never been in the military, I am in fairly good physical shape. But I can tell you, having on several occasions carried between 300 to 500 rounds of assorted ammo across a half mile hike in the august heat, you're falling on your ass from heat exaustion by the end of it. Weight must always be a first priority.

Now as weapons go for myself...personally I would pack my bolt action 5 round .22 and five shot .38 special. While that cuts down on available firepower immediately at my disposal, revolvers and bolt action rifles never jam, nor have a series of working parts that require constant mantainance to keep working properly. Plus, .22 and .38 rounds can be found damn near anywhere, and you can carry far more rounds than you would if you were packing a much larger caliber bullet. Which would be ideal for long term survival out in the elements. If you're planning on engaging hostile humans along the way, ak-47 definately. Rugged, reliable, and has all the punch you need to keep your ass alive.

As for melee weapons, I only need three things. 1. A rubber grip hammer, 2. An ideal survival knife (preferably ka-bar), 3. Ducth Tape

With a little imagination and rugged determination, you can make a weapon out of damn near anything you come across in any enviornment.

Christopher Jon
28-Feb-2012, 02:45 PM
When it comes to weapon choice you want to pick something that uses a common caliber. An AK47 sounds great but how common is 7.62 or 5.56 for that matter? Especially when the shit has hit the fan.

You can always find .22LR, 12 gauge and 9mm. Yeah yeah, they aren't sexy but you can find that shit everywhere. Every suburban homeowner who owns a gun most likely has a 9mm. Every Cooter in the sticks has .22LR and 12 gauge laying around.

nor have a series of working parts that require constant mantainance to keep working properly.
Very good point.

I always see guys mentioning AR15/M16/M4 but those suckers require constant cleaning. A giant pain in the ass if you ask me. Spend a day in the rain and you'll be lucky if it's still working the next morning.

Hang on Mr. Zombie, I can't find my firing pin. It rolled off the table. I know it's around here... OUCH! That hurt! Why'd you bite me?

Sammich
29-Feb-2012, 08:40 PM
Interesting...

The Big M4 Myth: “Fouling caused by the direct impingement gas system makes the M4/M4A1 Carbine unreliable.” (http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/)

"I reliably fired 2400 rounds (80 magazines) on a bone dry gun, and I would bet that is a lot more than any soldier or other armed professional will ever come close to firing without any lubrication whatsoever. So, disregard the fouling myth and install a better buffer spring, H2 buffer, enhanced extractor spring and a Crane O-ring (all end user drop-in parts). With normal (read “not excessive”) lubrication and maintenance, properly-built AR-15/M4 type rifles with carbine gas systems will astound you with their reliability and shootability."

Mike70
29-Feb-2012, 09:02 PM
i would only use guns as a last resort. they make a shite load of noise and zombies appear to be attracted to noise like shit beetles to elephant turds. a nice easton bomb bat would be the ye olden front line weapon. i'd avoid blade weapons entirely, they have an irritating habit of getting stuck in things.

weapons that do crushing blunt trauma damage without making an assload of noise are the way to go.

Christopher Jon
01-Mar-2012, 04:45 PM
weapons that do crushing blunt trauma damage without making an assload of noise are the way to go.
My thinking exactly. Save the heavy stuff for the Oh Shit! moments.

Rewatch Night of the Living Dead and tell me you couldn't make it out of that house if you had a good 'ol baseball bat. Even in Dawn of the Dead, they didn't need a SWAT Team. A couple of construction workers with sledge hammers could have cleaned out that apartment building. Blunt is a necessity. Sharp objects get stuck and break.

Unless they run, zombies aren't a menace unless it's a mob and in that case you're pretty much SOL. And let's be honest. Any self-respecting zombie expert who finds himself in the middle of a zombie mob deserves what he gets :)

BTW, Something I've never seen mentioned before, a wetsuit would make excellent body armor. Zombies aren't gnawing through that. Zombie Sharks are a different story.

AcesandEights
01-Mar-2012, 04:54 PM
BTW, Something I've never seen mentioned before, a wetsuit would make excellent body armor. Zombies aren't gnawing through that. Zombie Sharks are a different story.

Been mentioned before, also the light chainmail for sharkdivers. The problem with saying a wetsuit will protect against a zombie bite, in movies anyway, is that lots of forms of clothing should protect against most zombie bites (heavy denim, leather etc.) and these never work against zombies in movies. It's clear zombies have magical teeth. :p

Ragnarr
01-Mar-2012, 08:37 PM
Been mentioned before, also the light chainmail for sharkdivers. The problem with saying a wetsuit will protect against a zombie bite, in movies anyway, is that lots of forms of clothing should protect against most zombie bites (heavy denim, leather etc.) and these never work against zombies in movies. It's clear zombies have magical teeth. :p

Agreeing with Aces; zombies biting through everything and anything has always bugged me whenever I see it happen in a movie. If you think about it, Roger from the original DotD might have been perfectly fine during that truck/mall entrance blocking scene, although I think the zombies already bit his hand just before his leg. Hmm... not so fine afterall. Then you have the other half of the coin so to speak. Given their fantastically crappy smiles, zombies would be forced to gnaw (and gnaw and gnaw and...) on the living if they were not able to easily bite through their clothing. It'd make your typical zombie flick last waaaay too long to watch to the final credits. Hell, I have some awesomely healthy "toofisses" personally and STILL have a tough time masticating a pastrami sandwich on rye from my local deli. (dammit all, now I'm hungry)

Mike70
04-Mar-2012, 01:34 AM

there have been a few discussions about zombies' apparently bionic biting abilities and the best way to deal with them. leather or even denim would seem to be a good front line protection. ever tried to bite through a pair of newer blue jeans or a leather jacket. a lot of clothing is relatively hard to bite through and some of it, i.e. leather jackets are a non starter from jump street, unless the zombie happens to have a set of chompers like jaws from the james bond movies.

one would think that since the romero universe zombies are so physically weak (until the script calls for otherwise) that the same would extend to the muscles in their jaws.

the only problem i see with a wetsuit is that those things get frakking HOT and might bring on bigger problems like needing to increase your water intake and dehydration, etc. they might, in the long run, be more trouble than they are worth.

botc
12-Mar-2012, 12:08 AM
22lr marlin bolt 881 marlin with my scope, 12 gauge mossberg 500, 9mm ruger p95 with laser lyte kabar bayonet on it, and a bunch of knives i have. i am set for any apoc that happens!

childofgilead
12-Mar-2012, 04:17 AM
Holy Christ, is it 2002 again?