PDA

View Full Version : Awake (TV series)

Neil
01-Mar-2012, 03:34 PM
AICN along with everyone else seems to like it!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53960

NBC’s “Awake” pilot has been on the Internet legally for weeks (and likely illegally since last June, when I got my first copy), so I’m not particularly compelled to burn a lot of calories explaining why I think it’s easily the best broadcast pilot of the 2011-2012 broadcast season.

It’s about a police detective whose life suddenly splits into two realities following a horrific car crash. In one reality, his wife dies and his son survives. In the other, his son dies and his wife survives. He can’t tell which is which. He even has different psychoanalysts in each reality, each of whom insists the other shrink is the fake one.

I’ll say this. It’s smarter than most movies, it’s ambitious, it’s moving, it’s sci-fi and it stars the great and versatile Jason Isaacs, a bit less nasty here than he was as Lucious Malfoy in the “Harry Potter” movies and the lead mobster in Showtime’s “Brotherhood.” B.D. Wong (“Oz”) and Cherry Jones (“24”) are both excellent as the therapists with the competing theories.