PDA

View Full Version : Robocop problem with first film....

acealive1
31-Mar-2012, 09:44 PM
i know its only a movie...........but jeez....did anyone ever think to RUN AWAY instead of being the 50th person (at the same time) to be shooting robocop?

Eyebiter
31-Mar-2012, 10:48 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-BH0RfUWDMg/SGmmWDGbAxI/AAAAAAAABjo/RuJSCg1SEvI/s400/ROBOCOP2.bmp

What do you expect when the hero literally walks on water?

bassman
31-Mar-2012, 11:05 PM
Running away could apply to almost every action film. If it were to happen, there's no story....

acealive1
01-Apr-2012, 12:23 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-BH0RfUWDMg/SGmmWDGbAxI/AAAAAAAABjo/RuJSCg1SEvI/s400/ROBOCOP2.bmp

What do you expect when the hero literally walks on water?

well seeing as that's a steel mill with a quarry....there will be a couple of inches of water.....but wont make u look like u walk on water.

EvilNed
01-Apr-2012, 12:26 PM
That film is so bad ass. One of my absolute favourite sci-fi action flicks of the 80's. Verhoeven rules the wasteland.

Mike70
01-Apr-2012, 12:52 PM
That film is so bad ass. One of my absolute favourite sci-fi action flicks of the 80's. Verhoeven rules the wasteland.

yep. paul's movies may be short on plot sometimes but they are hardly ever boring.

@ace: the same could be said for just about any martial arts film. i've always said that if is just saw one dude kick 20 guy's asses, i wouldn't be number 21. so, i get where you are coming from.

acealive1
01-Apr-2012, 05:28 PM
yep. paul's movies may be short on plot sometimes but they are hardly ever boring.

@ace: the same could be said for just about any martial arts film. i've always said that if is just saw one dude kick 20 guy's asses, i wouldn't be number 21. so, i get where you are coming from.

paul does a lot of recasting in his movies of the same actors and he does alot of future movies that could totally be real and are not far fetched at all. yea, i'd surely not be sticking around while a pissed off half robot with a human memory is coming after me.

emil has to be the dumbest bad guy though. he ate a car early in the film since murphy shot his brakes out and he still went back to clarence?

Eyebiter
01-Apr-2012, 06:28 PM
http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/RoboCop-on-the-cross.jpg

Paul Verhoeven: ‘Robocop was a Jesus metaphor’
http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/04/paul-verhoeven-robocop-was-a-jesus-metaphor

Neil
11-Apr-2012, 10:41 AM
For me, it's a nigh on perfect scifi flick. Basically it achieves everything it needs to almost perfectly!

Gonna be interesting to see if the remake can capture the same magic!

SymphonicX
14-Apr-2012, 03:17 PM
For me, it's a nigh on perfect scifi flick. Basically it achieves everything it needs to almost perfectly!

Gonna be interesting to see if the remake can capture the same magic!

I agree, the original crosses the boundaries from brilliant to perfect very often. It's full of great moments, and some absolutely legendary scenes in the scifi genre.

I can't find a single nark with it actually. I just love every scene - and I don't think it's particularly dated - some of the hair is a bit whack and there's the club scene...but just like Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, etc - this one hasn't aged badly at all. It's just a phenomenally great movie.

Now the remake is already twanging my disappointment strings by radically changing the design of the suit. They were bound to f*ck with it though, but it's stupid things like that which'll alienate the fans of the original. Robocop to me was fascinating because you didn't get to see his eyes - it was the lack of humanity that a robot cop would subscribe to. The idea that there actually was a thinking, feeling person inside that suit was the whole point in the drama of the movie. For me, seeing the face of the cop inside the suit will introduce way too early the concept that Robocop is human, and in reality the very concept of having a robot police officer with the face of a murdered cop would cause social outrage - the original Robocop wasn't identifiable....and OCP made no attempt to humanise or give a face to ANY of the cybernetic or robotic weapons they made in those movies. It would clearly be a bad idea...."hey I recognise that Robot Cop....it's my murdered husband/dad/uncle/friend".

acealive1
16-Apr-2012, 03:01 AM
I agree, the original crosses the boundaries from brilliant to perfect very often. It's full of great moments, and some absolutely legendary scenes in the scifi genre.

I can't find a single nark with it actually. I just love every scene - and I don't think it's particularly dated - some of the hair is a bit whack and there's the club scene...but just like Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, etc - this one hasn't aged badly at all. It's just a phenomenally great movie.

Now the remake is already twanging my disappointment strings by radically changing the design of the suit. They were bound to f*ck with it though, but it's stupid things like that which'll alienate the fans of the original. Robocop to me was fascinating because you didn't get to see his eyes - it was the lack of humanity that a robot cop would subscribe to. The idea that there actually was a thinking, feeling person inside that suit was the whole point in the drama of the movie. For me, seeing the face of the cop inside the suit will introduce way too early the concept that Robocop is human, and in reality the very concept of having a robot police officer with the face of a murdered cop would cause social outrage - the original Robocop wasn't identifiable....and OCP made no attempt to humanise or give a face to ANY of the cybernetic or robotic weapons they made in those movies. It would clearly be a bad idea...."hey I recognise that Robot Cop....it's my murdered husband/dad/uncle/friend".

totally understand, but you saw what happened in robocop 2 with the new robocop prototypes......

the human brain couldnt cope with the fact it was a machine and it literally killed itself

SymphonicX
18-Apr-2012, 09:26 AM
totally understand, but you saw what happened in robocop 2 with the new robocop prototypes......

the human brain couldnt cope with the fact it was a machine and it literally killed itself

Totally, that strengthens my point - that OCP never gave a "face" to the law enforcement machines and certainly didn't expect Robo or any of the other protos to have a personality - the idealogy was to fight crime.

With the new idea, giving him a face, it removes that focus from OCP - and from that very notion dispells any notion of believability. Can't for the life of me guess what OCP would be thinking by putting the face of a recently dead cop who's just been on the news, onto a robot then trekking it around Detroit as though no one will recognise him...!