PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of the Zombie

Thorn
10-Apr-2012, 03:37 PM
Shaking Off the Cobwebs of the Crypt: The Evolution of the Zombie

Stop an average stranger on the street and ask them what a zombie is. Chances are they’ll give you a strange look. And then say that a zombie is a flesh-eating monster. They’d only be half right.

What few people know is that the lurching, ravenous undead of the screen have only been around for forty years. Before George Romero gave them teeth and the urge to use them in 1968’s Night of the Living Dead, zombies were little more than brainless slaves.
The zombie was first given life in the Caribbean of the early 1800’s, where the sugar cane plantations were worked by thousands of African slaves. Here, the zombie became intrinsically tied to the Vodun (or “voodoo”) religion.

(read the rest at the link provided below)

http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/04/cobwebs-of-the-crypt-the-evolution-of-the-zombie-thriller-horror

rgc2005
11-Apr-2012, 03:34 AM
Great read. The author got a "Zombie" thesis approved. Gotta love the liberal arts.

Thorn
11-Apr-2012, 04:33 AM
Great read. The author got a "Zombie" thesis approved. Gotta love the liberal arts.

My thoughts exactly!!! That was the part that blew me away as well as the recommendations for rare viewing and the nod to George.

Rumsfeld
11-Apr-2012, 04:49 AM
I have to agree as well. As a former student of a History of the Caribbean course taught by a teacher who's speciality was voodoo, the thesis is accurate and informative.

Danny
12-Apr-2012, 09:07 PM
If you want to see a zombie film about the traditional kind of zombie i really recommend the serpent and the rainbow, its on netflix us and uk right now and totally worth a watch.