View Full Version : UK Trailer for Dawn...?

SymphonicX
12-Apr-2012, 08:18 AM
Has anyone seen this?
It's the UK trailer for Dawn - as far as I know it doesn't appear on any DVD extras - it's usually the German and American trailers.
This one's great due to it's script thievery and obvious lack of split track version meaning awkward audio edits all over the place, and cheesy English voice-over, picture quality in places makes the movie look absolutely evil - sometimes the new polished prints betray the grittyness of this kind of look.

A little oddity anyway, apologies though if this has already been seen.

s8ZsUMNRYZg

-- -------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

PS: I did try and search but you'd not be surprised that the keywords "uk, trailer, Dawn, Dead" wield more results than "of, the" on it's own :):P

Neil
12-Apr-2012, 08:53 AM
^^ Amazing how much that trailer spoils the story. ie: You can see major characters die!

MinionZombie
12-Apr-2012, 10:13 AM
Has anyone seen this?
It's the UK trailer for Dawn - as far as I know it doesn't appear on any DVD extras - it's usually the German and American trailers.

-- -------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

PS: I did try and search but you'd not be surprised that the keywords "uk, trailer, Dawn, Dead" wield more results than "of, the" on it's own :):P

^^ Amazing how much that trailer spoils the story. ie: You can see major characters die!

Nice find Symph - I've saved that for my archives. :)

Neil - I guess they didn't give a stuff about spoilers back in the 1970s, hehe.

This totally makes me want to watch the movie again. I think it was summer 2009 when I last watched Dawn ... blimey, surely not?! :stunned: ... I know what you mean though about the gritty grungy look of it. It does look kind of evil - something you don't get with DVD or Blu-Ray. It's like I always say, there's a vast difference between how I first saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (on a 3rd generation copy borrowed from a friend on a knackered old videotape) and then when I got it on DVD. The former was definitely the more powerful viewing experience, but also the context of the times I was viewing it had some considerable impact on that too, I guess.

bassman
12-Apr-2012, 10:41 AM
I love this guy's version of the "no more room..." line. :lol: It sounds so much cooler when it's coming from Foree....

MinionZombie
12-Apr-2012, 04:51 PM
I love this guy's version of the "no more room..." line. :lol: It sounds so much cooler when it's coming from Foree....

From Foree it sounds chilling, from a British voice over guy it sounds like everything is relatively under control. :p

I wonder why they stuck "Zombies" on the title? What's the point? We already had Night of the Living Dead, and "Dawn of the Dead" is right there under "Zombies", so why tack on "Zombies"? :confused:

bassman
12-Apr-2012, 05:30 PM
From Foree it sounds chilling, from a British voice over guy it sounds like everything is relatively under control. :p

I wonder why they stuck "Zombies" on the title? What's the point? We already had Night of the Living Dead, and "Dawn of the Dead" is right there under "Zombies", so why tack on "Zombies"? :confused:

I have limited knowledge on the subject, but wasn't Dawn called 'Zombi' as well as 'Zombies' in certain territories?

MinionZombie
12-Apr-2012, 06:29 PM
I have limited knowledge on the subject, but wasn't Dawn called 'Zombi' as well as 'Zombies' in certain territories?

I do know that it was called "Zombi" in Italy - which was why Fulci called his flick "Zombi 2" to try and cash-in on the name in his territory, which is why in the UK it's known as "Zombie Flesh Eaters" (which is a more impressive name, if you ask me, hehe) ... but don't know about other territories. Just wondering what the point is though, especially in the UK, of re-naming it at the time. Certainly nowadays (and for a long time) it's exclusively been known by it's proper name of "Dawn of the Dead".

Or maybe the bloke who came up with "Ronseal: It does what it says on the tin" was doing the marketting for films in those days, just laying it out on front-street what a flick was about. :p

kidgloves
12-Apr-2012, 07:01 PM
I think it was released in the UK as "Zombies Dawn of the Dead"

Yep.

http://www2.gol.com/users/noman/images/items/post_uk1.jpg

Ive got a reprint of that as well but not on the wall. Its so difficult finding a sensibly priced 30"x40" frame.

MinionZombie
12-Apr-2012, 08:54 PM
^^^
kidgloves - tell me about it, I was looking into a poster-sized frame, but you can't find anything decent for any price worth paying. I've got a great big poster-sized gap on my wall - ideal for a nice poster frame - but they're so stupidly expensive! Any why? It's a bit of wood and some plastic! If I had any wood working skills at all I could cobble that together myself ... but I don't, so I can't. :p

bassman
12-Apr-2012, 09:44 PM
I only know that poster above because of Spaced. :lol:

Anyway....why the hell does Dawn have so many different names? I realize Argento and the distributing rights have a lot to do with it, but it just seems like overkill. Dawn of the Dead is the best name, imo. Was Dawn04 renamed in foreign territories?....

krakenslayer
13-Apr-2012, 09:25 AM
I believe the original UK title "Zombies" is actually a hold-over from the fact that Argento's European cut was originally going to be released in the UK. The title is just an Anglicisation of the European title, "Zombi". When it was submitted to the BBFC, they demanded cuts of about six minutes, including most of the gore. Instead of releasing this cut version, the distributor tried submitting the US theatrical cut, which fared much better with the censors due to its more overt satirical elements, only getting a few seconds trimmed off it. The near-uncut US version was eventually released in UK cinemas but, presumably, by that time, the marketing campaign had already been devised based on the Argento cut, hence the "Zombies" posters and trailer.

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2012, 09:43 AM
I believe the original UK title "Zombies" is actually a hold-over from the fact that Argento's European cut was originally going to be released in the UK. The title is just an Anglicisation of the European title, "Zombi". When it was submitted to the BBFC, they demanded cuts of about six minutes, including most of the gore. Instead of releasing this cut version, the distributor tried submitting the US theatrical cut, which fared much better with the censors due to its more overt satirical elements, only getting a few seconds trimmed off it. The near-uncut US version was eventually released in UK cinemas but, presumably, by that time, the marketing campaign had already been devised based on the Argento cut, hence the "Zombies" posters and trailer.

Aha! Thanks for the info kraken! :)

jscott
13-Apr-2012, 01:21 PM
^^^
kidgloves - tell me about it, I was looking into a poster-sized frame, but you can't find anything decent for any price worth paying. I've got a great big poster-sized gap on my wall - ideal for a nice poster frame - but they're so stupidly expensive! Any why? It's a bit of wood and some plastic! If I had any wood working skills at all I could cobble that together myself ... but I don't, so I can't. :p

Because the machinery that cuts the wood/plastic/metal frames, and the machine that nails the cut pieces, costs several hundred, or in some cases, thousands of dollars, not to mention glass/plexiglass cutting, and labor to get the glass/plexi clean & free of dirt and dust, and the installation of a hanging wire, and don't forget the cost of all the materials. Picture framing is a dying art, being replaced by mass produced, made in Korea- cheap frames. SO STOP COMPLAINING AND FRAME YOUR POSTERS YOU TIGHT WAD!

Signed,
jscott
picture framer :)

AcesandEights
13-Apr-2012, 01:28 PM
Good points, actually.

Signed,
jscott

:lol: I love full disclosures.

Knighty
13-Apr-2012, 02:02 PM
Blimey, it's definitely a trailer of its time, and how many times can it flash ZOMBIES up on screen before it looks hokey? Once is the answer

kidgloves
13-Apr-2012, 05:42 PM
Because the machinery that cuts the wood/plastic/metal frames, and the machine that nails the cut pieces, costs several hundred, or in some cases, thousands of dollars, not to mention glass/plexiglass cutting, and labor to get the glass/plexi clean & free of dirt and dust, and the installation of a hanging wire, and don't forget the cost of all the materials. Picture framing is a dying art, being replaced by mass produced, made in Korea- cheap frames. SO STOP COMPLAINING AND FRAME YOUR POSTERS YOU TIGHT WAD!

Signed,
jscott

Can you point me in the right direction for these Korean frames then ? :p

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2012, 05:50 PM
Can you point me in the right direction for these Korean frames then ? :p

hahaha, *high five* for like-minded cheap-assery. :D

Philly_SWAT
14-Apr-2012, 08:27 AM
Is it just me, or is there a few frames in that trailer that are not in ANY of the three versions of the film that I have? I didnt go rewatch them all, but you tell me...

at approx :18 seconds, right after Flyboy says "we' getting out" there is a shot of a lady standing there in the studio...that doesnt look familiar.
at approx :36 seconds, right after "get up and kill", there is a few seconds of zombie flyboy staggering up the stairs...looks COOL AS SHIT, I am sure that isnt in the movies

unless it is in the Argento cut (would make sense) as I havent watched that version as much.

SymphonicX
14-Apr-2012, 08:47 AM
Is it just me, or is there a few frames in that trailer that are not in ANY of the three versions of the film that I have? I didnt go rewatch them all, but you tell me...

at approx :18 seconds, right after Flyboy says "we' getting out" there is a shot of a lady standing there in the studio...that doesnt look familiar.
at approx :36 seconds, right after "get up and kill", there is a few seconds of zombie flyboy staggering up the stairs...looks COOL AS SHIT, I am sure that isnt in the movies

unless it is in the Argento cut (would make sense) as I havent watched that version as much.

I'm pretty sure the shot at 18 seconds is in at least the extended cannes cut - I remember not the lady standing there, but the guy who throws his arm down gesticulating to the host and scientist on set.

And the flyboy shot, that's what Peter sees when Flyboy opens the doors at the foot of the stairs, after it cuts back to Fran and she asks "what is it?!!" ("Stephen...they're coming up")

I'll have to double check now that you've said all that!

Neil
14-Apr-2012, 05:55 PM
I think it was released in the UK as "Zombies Dawn of the Dead"

Yep.

http://www2.gol.com/users/noman/images/items/post_uk1.jpg

Ive got a reprint of that as well but not on the wall. Its so difficult finding a sensibly priced 30"x40" frame.

Right! I think I need to update the image in the memorabilia section to that one instead!

http://memorabilia.homepageofthedead.com/?id=166

Trencher
14-Apr-2012, 07:42 PM
The trailer did show too much, but the poster is kick ass! Amazing art, they just dont make them like that anymore. I miss that style of zombie poster.

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2012, 11:23 AM
The trailer did show too much, but the poster is kick ass! Amazing art, they just dont make them like that anymore. I miss that style of zombie poster.

I'm with you there. There's only so many times you can see a rotted hand clutching at the cover before it gets rather stale.

SymphonicX
15-Apr-2012, 11:26 AM
it's easily the best poster made for Dawn aside from the classic retro head on the horizon....I've been wanting one for year but never got one. I can handle a reprint but would love one of the originals - I've seen so many of them too, but they're always in excess of £50. If I had one in front of me right now, I'd buy it, but so much of my memoribilia is sitting unused in a suitcase somewhere.

bassman
15-Apr-2012, 12:00 PM
It's an amazing poster. While not official posters leading into the release of the film, I've always found these two to be my favorites:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m0YtPN5vgmI/SQ4FU7O01fI/AAAAAAAAI-4/htGkEiXyIDA/POSTER%20-%20DAWN%20OF%20THE%20DEAD%20(2).JPG
(I stare at this thing everytime I walk into the room)

...and the profile silhouette of the gas mask. Couldn't find a picture.

I also LOVE this recent poster....
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2011/10/Dawn-of-the-Dead-1979-Movie-Mondo-Poster-600x900.jpg

I've already got the classic poster and the one from the poster book, so if I can find that Mondo poster i'm going to have to replace the classic. Or else my media room will have three Dawn posters. And that could just look weird. :lol: