PDA

View Full Version : Old or new?

Charlottep
17-Apr-2012, 09:58 PM
Do you guys prefer Romero's older work such as the original 'dead' films, or his more recent films, such as day of the dead, for example?

bassman
17-Apr-2012, 10:03 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4PLWF6kqktT3oRsoRK3tDsjjqYnqEc gizBu6xEsUa_NQL6v0GgHZxj7sp

Andy
17-Apr-2012, 10:04 PM
Use your words bassman :lol:

MoonSylver
17-Apr-2012, 10:12 PM
Do you guys prefer Romero's older work such as the original 'dead' films, or his more recent films, such as day of the dead, for example?

Day...recent...:confused:...I also hear there's this totally bitchin' new movie called "Back To The Future" coming out! :lol:

Seriously though, older INCLUDING Day vs more recent, being Land, Diary & Survival, no contest: Night, Dawn & Day (although I do enjoy the latter 3 to varying degrees).

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4PLWF6kqktT3oRsoRK3tDsjjqYnqEc gizBu6xEsUa_NQL6v0GgHZxj7sp

Use your words bassman :lol:

Bassy has been associating w/ the wrong people. ;)

Neil
18-Apr-2012, 12:53 PM

I think most people would consider Romero's 1985 "Day" as one of his "older" pieces of work. I'd imagine they define older as:-
Night
Dawn
Day
Night 90 (possibly)

And new as everything since.

I also doubt there's many people who prefer the "new" more than the "old"... IMHO!

Charlottep
18-Apr-2012, 01:57 PM
I do realize that most people will say they prefer the older films, i only ask to see the reasons for this, apart from the fact that, in my opinion, the older ones are better.

AcesandEights
18-Apr-2012, 02:00 PM
I do realize that most people will say they prefer the older films, i only ask to see the reasons for this, apart from the fact that, in my opinion, the older ones are better.

I think a lot of people here would agree with you to one degree or another (been a lot of similar discussions here on the topic), however I do wonder what the poll results would be among a population that skews a bit younger.

Welcome to the boards, by the way :)

Charlottep
18-Apr-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks! :)
About what you, AcesandEights, say about the younger people, i was thinking this earlier. The fact that people seemingly prefer the older films could be because they are an older generation, but in years to come, when the so-called "new" films are a lot older, people may enjoy them a lot more?

bassman
18-Apr-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks! :)
The fact that people seemingly prefer the older films could be because they are an older generation, but in years to come, when the so-called "new" films are a lot older, people may enjoy them a lot more?

I have a hard time believing that could happen. Land has continued to be more accepted as time has passed, but I just don't see the three new films reaching the same status as the original three. The originals are considered the absolute best zombie films and they started the entire genre. While certain people will always enjoy the newest films, I just don't see them "replacing" the original trilogy for future generations.

Charlottep
18-Apr-2012, 02:28 PM
Bassman, do you think that it is the original trilogy's 'cult status' that helps their reputation as extremely significant films?

bassman
18-Apr-2012, 02:41 PM
Bassman, do you think that it is the original trilogy's 'cult status' that helps their reputation as extremely significant films?

Well...I don't really consider them "cult films", really. "Cult" is a word that gets thrown around too much these days. While Romero's trilogy may slip under the radar of today's general audiences, it's anything but a cult favorite. Romero created, defined, and established the entire genre that is so successful today. Without him, there would be no Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later(NOT a zombie film, but inspired by Romero), etc.

The films don't have the history behind them because of what they started, though. They remain as classics because they are purely great films. They're horror in nature, but exceed on multiple levels outside of that genre and that's what keeps them alive 40+ years later.

Charlottep
18-Apr-2012, 02:53 PM
I hear ya bassman, so can i ask what films you would say are cult, if you believe there are such things, or what you think makes something cult? Can i also ask, if you can remember, how you initially found out about Romero and his films?

SymphonicX
18-Apr-2012, 02:56 PM
I consider anything AFTER The Dark Half to be "new"...after The Dark Half, Romero's career skydived to oblivion and he was almost completely unable to get any sort of financing until Bruiser - and that's where the cracks in his writing and film making really started to show.

I loved The Dark Half, and saw it as his last great movie. It was released the same year as Bram Stoker's Dracula so it kinda fell under it's shadow at the time, but I think it's probably one of the few King adaptations that exceeds the rather dull book.

My favourite Romero films are from the older generation:

in chronological order (not preference)
Martin
Dawn
Knightriders
Creepshow
Day

Not a massive fan of Night 68 or Night 90 really, they're cool - but not my favourites.
I think There's Always Vanilla was very notable as a drama and a really nice movie overall. It was panned and destroyed over the years but Ray Laine's performance was phenomenal, as he was also in Season of the Witch.

Also blasted but I believe to be under rated was Monkey Shines. Jason Beghe's performance was brilliant and it was a really interesting storyline, and contained some awesome moments....my favourite being the line "She deserved to die, mother. She FUCKING DESERVED TO DIE."

Neil
18-Apr-2012, 06:43 PM
Romero's trilogy may slip under the radar of today's general audiences
That's an interesting statement? Do you think modern audiences can't connect with it/them? If so why?

Andy
18-Apr-2012, 06:54 PM
Well the key point being that the profound social commentry in night and dawn just dosnt connect with the youth of today neil?

Neil
18-Apr-2012, 08:53 PM
Well the key point being that the profound social commentry in night and dawn just dosnt connect with the youth of today neil?

I'm not entirely sold on all that "social commentary" malarkey you know. ie: I think people read too much into it!

Mike70
18-Apr-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm not entirely sold on all that "social commentary" malarkey you know. ie: I think people read too much into it!

I'm not either. you can read "social commentary" as Romero's personal bullshit (which we all have) just as easily.

Charlottep
18-Apr-2012, 10:42 PM
How did you guys find out/get copies of, the original trilogy?

rongravy
18-Apr-2012, 10:43 PM
That's an interesting statement? Do you think modern audiences can't connect with it/them? If so why?
Ha, probably Night for being in black and white, and Dawn for being over the top 70's-ish and corny at times.
Day would hold up well, methinks. But, then again, kids are weird as shit these days.

By the way, I put Land in there with the original trilogy. Sorry, but I do. More than with the two newer ones. I think time'll soften some of you hardasses on it.

Charlottep
18-Apr-2012, 11:01 PM
also, say for arguments sake, that these films were cult, could this mean that they're timeless, therefore appreciated by both older and modern audiences?

Zombo
18-Apr-2012, 11:46 PM
I have a fondness for the simpler zombie makeups in the older films. Just a gray base with a little black around the eyes & boom! You're a zombie.

I like all his films though, except for 'Survival.' Didn't really care for that one.

Andy
19-Apr-2012, 12:04 AM
By the way, I put Land in there with the original trilogy. Sorry, but I do. More than with the two newer ones. I think time'll soften some of you hardasses on it.

Absolutely NEVER!! i will accept jessie j as a credible muscian before i accept land as a part of the original trilogy.. :shifty:

Neil
19-Apr-2012, 07:36 AM
I have a fondness for the simpler zombie makeups in the older films. Just a gray base with a little black around the eyes & boom! You're a zombie.
I sort of agree... At the end of the day, they're just humans who's hearts have stopped. There's no reason they should roar like raptors and have funny eyes!? After months of course they will start to rott, but until then, they'd almost look just like us.

I hate it when as soon as a person becomes a zombie they look all 'zombified'!

Christopher Jon
19-Apr-2012, 09:36 AM
They've been sitting on video store shelves for a couple of decades now.

bassman
19-Apr-2012, 10:51 AM

Just in my personal life i've noticed that many people don't know of Romero's trilogy. Other than Night, of course. I think everyone knows Night because it's always on TV. It's not so much that they don't connect(which i'm sure is sometimes the case as well), but they just haven't seen the trilogy.

Even on the internet i've noticed that some fans of the genre haven't even seen the trilogy. I'm a member of a forum dedicated to The Walking Dead and it's astonishing how many people visit and say they love the zombie genre but have never seen Night, Dawn, and Day. How can you be a fan of the genre and have never seen the holy trilogy?!?

-- -------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

I had seen Night on television throughout my younger years. Then when I was a preteen my brother worked at a video store and brought home a VHS of Day based on a fellow employee's recommendation. I was hooked from the first scene and it's been one of my all time favorite films ever since. I immediately set out to get good copies of Night and Dawn, but at the time Dawn was kinda hard to come by because it was out of print. I think I eventually paid about 75 bucks for the "Warhol" DVD, only to hear the announcement of the UE collection a few years later.

Neil
19-Apr-2012, 01:21 PM

It was the first VHS tape/film I ever hired out (mid 80s). I loved apocalyptic films so the description caught my attention... The film blew me away!

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/dawn/