PDA

View Full Version : NOTLD being remade again staring Judith O'Dea and other Romero film cast members

chuckroast
23-Apr-2012, 02:57 AM
I just stumbled across this and thought you guys would dig this info.
http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/projects/95932/pictures/baseball/20120417093935-POSTER1B.jpg?1334681473
From the website.
This re-imagining of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead will pay homage to the timeless classic while expanding upon its storyline to explore more of the night when the dead began to rise.

Judith O'Dea (Original NOTLD), Mike Christopher, David Early, Jim Krut, and David Crawford (Dawn of the Dead 1979), Scott Tepperman (Ghost Hunters Int.), Bill Johnson (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2), Heidi Hinzman (Daughter to the late Bill Hinzman "NOTLD 1968"), Christy Johnson (Tobe Hooper's Mortuary), and John Migliore (Land of the Dead & Survival of the Dead)

http://www.indiegogo.com/notld-2012?c=home

Z-Y1SMBCc_M

paultagonist
23-Apr-2012, 06:08 AM
ANOTHER NOTLD remake! Ye gods!
Just another in a long line (http://www.allthingszombie.com/mb/index.php?/topic/9776-night-of-the-living-dead-remakes-revisions-and-abortions/) of this classic film being plundered..

Neil
23-Apr-2012, 08:46 AM
Couple of pics here - http://www.myspace.com/johnmigliorezone/photos/10150139

Stupid contacts for zombies? Check!
Stupid boils for zombies? Check!
Stupid hair for zombies? Check!

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/138/83101ca6b12041bc81c25d29b3812aea/l.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RJwN1p666w0/TzxuJd71OJI/AAAAAAAAAZI/ethxOYyMc7U/s1600/Fangoria311.jpg

Tricky
23-Apr-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh dear, cant they get the make up artists from TWD involved to at least make the zombies look good? Also why do zombies always have really bad rotten teeth, do only tramps with bad personal hygiene become the undead? After a few months I can understand bad teeth, but not people who have just turned! :confused:

krakenslayer
23-Apr-2012, 09:54 AM
All Things Zombie, eh? Now there's a blast from the (gun-totin', liberal hatin', petty squabblin') past! You a member over there Neil?

After a brief flirtation with HPotD, in its original nested, no-signup-required format back in about 2000, I want to ATZ and was an active member for about six years. It was a great site initially, with a good gang of regulars, but then they opened a Zombie Survival and Defense forum and overnight there was a sudden influx of new guys posting endless "macho" pictures of themselves wearing camo gear and balaclavas, waving samurai swords around, or with guns strapped to every body limb while pointing an automatic into the lens. You know: the kinda stuff you see on the news after someone goes postal. These guys, who on the whole knew very little about zombie films, gradually took over and all the regulars began to drift away, myself included. Pretty sad when I think about how it used to be. :(

As for another Night of the Living Dead movie, it looks like that bubble is about to finally burst: if you look at the list of remakes, re-edits and re-imaginings, you can see a gradual acceleration in the rate of releases, starting at one every three or four years in the late 1980s/early 1990s, rising to four in one year in 2012. At one point, the association of the Night of the Living Dead title was great free marketing, but now it's getting to the point that the title has saturated the market, there's so many films flying under that flag that it's difficult for even a hardcore horror fan to work out which movie he/she is picking up. In terms of publicity, that title is going to start becoming a lead weight, and hopefully 2012 or 2013 will mark the death of this strange fad for raping the NotLD name.

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2012, 10:36 AM
Oh dear, cant they get the make up artists from TWD involved to at least make the zombies look good? Also why do zombies always have really bad rotten teeth, do only tramps with bad personal hygiene become the undead? After a few months I can understand bad teeth, but not people who have just turned! :confused:

That's a major pet peeve of mine with zombies movies, or some zombie movies rather. They've just turned, and all of a sudden their teeth have gone all higgeldy-piggeldy. They're generally pretty good about it in TWD at least with more realistic deterioration (massively receded gum lines, staining, the odd broken tooth) ... but sometimes there have been some really overdone teeth in zombies movies.

As for another NOTLD remake ... again?! :stunned: I'm with Neil too, I'm not keen on the make-up to be honest. Particularly the boils.

Trencher
23-Apr-2012, 12:56 PM
The teaser looked better than the pictures, the zombies looked like cartoon characters not dead people. Anyway it seems that the remake have its sound design down and a little more patience than usual. Still a remake of night is not really necessary what can they do that the original have not already done and done better?

Neil
23-Apr-2012, 12:58 PM
what can they do that the original has not already done? Apparently boils!

Christopher Jon
23-Apr-2012, 03:24 PM
I really wish people would come up with their own thing instead of cashing in on Romero.

Who knows, it might turn out OK. I'm sure I'll see it if it's ever released. Best of luck to 'em.

Well, I'm off to start shooting my sock puppets version of NOTLD.

Mike70
23-Apr-2012, 04:35 PM
Stupid contacts for zombies? Check!
Stupid boils for zombies? Check!
Stupid hair for zombies? Check!

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/138/83101ca6b12041bc81c25d29b3812aea/l.jpg

why must we endure this crap seemingly every 3-5 years? *sigh* the 1990 remake at least involved Romero...nevermind, i'm not even gonna bother.

i put that pic in my post because that "zombie" looks a lot like the Cool Ghoul, a cincinnati icon who hosted late night horror flicks on fri. and sat. nights. anyone who grew up around here has fond memories of the Cool Ghoul. the Cool Ghoul didn't have boils but for some reason that pic instantly reminded me of him.

http://terrordaves.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/coolghoul1zine1.jpg

krisvds
23-Apr-2012, 07:09 PM
That zombie looks ridiculous. I'd much rather see a new Romero undead film. Say what you will of the latest GAR films, at least the zombies looked good.
And 'expanding the story to explore more of the night ...'? No thanks. NOTLD was all about the relentless siege on this one house. This sounds utterly pointless.

Sammich
23-Apr-2012, 08:12 PM
Here I what I think this re-imaging is going to be:

The story starts as a "reality" show is doing a ghost investigation at a reportedly haunted farm with the Ghost Hunters guy pretty much protraying himself. Then the zombie stuff starts happening and there will be lots of screaming and stupid things done that get them killed off one by one. The Cooper family will later arrive to seek refuge in the house. Ben will either be some green beret/special forces/marine sniper that just returned from iraq/afghanistan or the stereotypical gangsta. There probably won't be a Tom or Judy.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of the movie is shot in cinema verite, i.e. Blair Witch style.

My guess is that the older cast members like Judith O'dea (probably going to be the owner of the farm) will be used as the rural town folks and the younger cast are the ghost hunting crew.

chuckroast
23-Apr-2012, 09:04 PM
Here I what I think this re-imaging is going to be:

The story starts as a "reality" show is doing a ghost investigation at a reportedly haunted farm with the Ghost Hunters guy pretty much protraying himself. Then the zombie stuff starts happening and there will be lots of screaming and stupid things done that get them killed off one by one. The Cooper family will later arrive to seek refuge in the house. Ben will either be some green beret/special forces/marine sniper that just returned from iraq/afghanistan or the stereotypical gangsta. There probably won't be a Tom or Judy.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of the movie is shot in cinema verite, i.e. Blair Witch style.

My guess is that the older cast members like Judith O'dea (probably going to be the owner of the farm) will be used as the rural town folks and the younger cast are the ghost hunting crew.

Incorrect. There is a screenshot on the link in the first post of Tom and Judy hiding under the truck by the gas pump as a zombie shuffles by.
http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/medias/213564/pictures/full/20120417220700-Snapshot_1_4-4-2012_8-01_PM_.png?1334725666

Neil
23-Apr-2012, 09:27 PM
That zombie looks ridiculous. I'd much rather see a new Romero undead film. Say what you will of the latest GAR films, at least the zombies looked good.
And 'expanding the story to explore more of the night ...'? No thanks. NOTLD was all about the relentless siege on this one house. This sounds utterly pointless.

To be fair, that shot is not from the film, so we can't judge it fairly... :)

-- -------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

On the website is says, "We need to raise $35-$40,000 to reach our $450,000 goal!"

So they've got over $400,000 but can't afford to make the film. But with $450,000 they can? Hmmm...

axlish
24-Apr-2012, 01:18 AM
The teaser shows some promise. It wouldn't be hard to top Night 90. One of these remakes should be worth a flip eventually.

paultagonist
24-Apr-2012, 01:40 AM
The teaser shows some promise. It wouldn't be hard to top Night 90. One of these remakes should be worth a flip eventually.
Aw I love Night '90. Some people even like it better than the original; but of course, those people are wrong.

-- -------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

All Things Zombie, eh? Now there's a blast from the (gun-totin', liberal hatin', petty squabblin') past! You a member over there Neil?

After a brief flirtation with HPotD, in its original nested, no-signup-required format back in about 2000, I want to ATZ and was an active member for about six years. It was a great site initially, with a good gang of regulars, but then they opened a Zombie Survival and Defense forum and overnight there was a sudden influx of new guys posting endless "macho" pictures of themselves wearing camo gear and balaclavas, waving samurai swords around, or with guns strapped to every body limb while pointing an automatic into the lens. You know: the kinda stuff you see on the news after someone goes postal. These guys, who on the whole knew very little about zombie films, gradually took over and all the regulars began to drift away, myself included. Pretty sad when I think about how it used to be. :(

I don't know about Neil, but I am a member; though I hardly ever venture into the US&D section. There's people that only post in that part that I've never heard of, haha. I frequent ATZ forums because they're always active.

As for another Night of the Living Dead movie, it looks like that bubble is about to finally burst: if you look at the list of remakes, re-edits and re-imaginings, you can see a gradual acceleration in the rate of releases, starting at one every three or four years in the late 1980s/early 1990s, rising to four in one year in 2012. At one point, the association of the Night of the Living Dead title was great free marketing, but now it's getting to the point that the title has saturated the market, there's so many films flying under that flag that it's difficult for even a hardcore horror fan to work out which movie he/she is picking up. In terms of publicity, that title is going to start becoming a lead weight, and hopefully 2012 or 2013 will mark the death of this strange fad for raping the NotLD name.
I hope it does burst. It may after these recent NOTLDs come out.. but I think that maybe only the "hardcore horror fan" will even be aware of them. I don't think the average person will even hear about Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3-D, much less see it on a shelf somewhere. But maybe they will, you never know.. I was surprised to see Zombie Diaries 2 at the local Wal-Mart.

Trencher
24-Apr-2012, 06:51 AM
Wow Mike70 great find he looks just the same lol.

Very probable summary Sammich but you forgot that Barbera's brother was a on the zombies side all along.

Neil
24-Apr-2012, 08:14 AM
It wouldn't be hard to top Night 90.Night 90 is actually one of my favourite zombie flicks!

But yes, you'd think a good solid bit of film making could top Night 90, but we just don't seem to get it do we!

axlish
24-Apr-2012, 05:41 PM
Night 90 is actually one of my favourite zombie flicks!

But yes, you'd think a good solid bit of film making could top Night 90, but we just don't seem to get it do we!

I think Night 90 is the perfect median zombie film. Any zombie film considered to be good would have to be better, and any zombie film cosidered to be bad would have to be worse.

LouCipherr
24-Apr-2012, 06:37 PM
Apparently boils!

:lol: :lol:

That has to be the funniest thing I've read here in a loooooooooooong time. Good one, Neil!

So they've got over $400,000 but can't afford to make the film. But with $450,000 they can? Hmmm...

Good lord, if you can't make an independent zombie film (which I'm assuming this is, I didn't read the article on this fllick) with $400,000, you shouldn't even be trying for chrissake. :rolleyes:

AcesandEights
24-Apr-2012, 06:42 PM
I think Night 90 is the perfect median zombie film. Any zombie film considered to be good would have to be better, and any zombie film cosidered to be bad would have to be worse.

I really like Night '90, but I agree it is probably a good median benchmark. If only we had more zombie films that measured up to it.

JDFP
25-Apr-2012, 01:24 AM
This re-imagining of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead will pay homage to the timeless classic while expanding upon its storyline to explore more of the night when the dead began to rise.

The last time someone attempted to pay "Homage" to the original NOTLD we were rewarded with the 'treat' known as NOTLD 30th Anniversary Edition. Yeah, my opinions on that are known. I'm not going to hold my breath on this. Still, one can hope for the best and expect the absolute worst possible.

j.p.

Neil
25-Apr-2012, 07:50 AM
were rewarded with the 'treat' known as NOTLD 30th Anniversary Edition.
LOL! Just think, some people are quite possibly buying/watching that now thinking it IS the original film!

bassman
25-Apr-2012, 10:53 AM
LOL! Just think, some people are quite possibly buying/watching that now thinking it IS the original film!

It would take a fool to believe the new footage was part of the original film. Anyone can see that the footage doesn't match. But yeah....there are plenty of fools out there. :p

childofgilead
12-May-2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit cash-in..I've seen better undead makeup in the toilet after two flushes won't do.

EvilNed
13-May-2012, 02:23 PM

Hmm, I very much agree with this statement. I'm not really a fan of Night 90, but it's not bad as many other films are. It's an OK flick. But not good.

CJ Markham
16-May-2012, 05:08 AM
We need yet another reimagining/remake/rip-off of NOTLD like I need a rubber dick.

ThomasNorth
17-May-2012, 02:04 AM
Ugh... is that serious? I was about to ask if they even had the rights, but I seem to recall something about Romero not retaining the rights or something of that nature.

Aside from the 30th Anniversary Addition, this reminds me a bit too much of Children of the Living Dead, which was...uhh... not so good.