PDA

View Full Version : Motorola has won its case. the Xbox and windows 7 are now banned in Germany...

Mike70
02-May-2012, 09:18 PM
they sued Microsoft (which can go frak itself) for patent infringement and have won. of course, Microsoft is going to appeal but it looks like they are probably fried. the ban covers windows 7, Xbox consoles, games, windows media player, and internet explorer.

Motorola contends that Microsoft has infringed upon at least 50 of its intellectual properties without paying licensing fees.

Motorola is also going after them in US courts. an injunction was issued in the US against enforcing this ruling here until a US court can consider the matter.

this does not look good for Microsoft or its shareholders and considering the way Apple has been completely murdering them lately, it's doubly not good.

fine with me. I think microsoft stuff is absolute shit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17924190#

EvilNed
02-May-2012, 09:30 PM
Whoa. Germany's a market of 80 million plus, so that's not a small blow either.

Danny
02-May-2012, 09:34 PM
perfect timing for this rumoured 'apple-valve steambox' to come out. aint like xbox is gonna take another heavy hit like this in the west.

Mr. Clean
03-May-2012, 08:10 AM
Nothing is going to happen "for a awhile". Actually, the only thing I see happening is Microsoft making fat stacks from the millions of people rushing to stores to buy products currently on the chopping block. Greed is to blame for this whole situation. Motorola has been struggling in the market place which is why they are selling out to Google. As for Microsoft's products being shit, the droid hasn't been anything to brag about either. I've been pretty damn happy with my xbox apart from the price of Xbox live membership on the rise.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/02/360-sales-threatened-in-germany/

It is now up to Motorola to enforce the injunction, but they likely will not based on three key points:

1. A ruling by a Seattle court in April preemptively barred Motorola from blocking the sales of certain Microsoft products in Germany. A hearing in this trial is scheduled for May 7.
“Motorola is prohibited from acting on today’s decision, and our business in Germany will continue as usual while we appeal this decision and pursue the fundamental issue of Motorola’s broken promise,” Microsoft said in a statement.

2. Microsoft can appeal the ruling. If they do, Motorola will have to post millions of euros as bond to secure any revenue Microsoft might lose if another court overturned the ban. Tech company LG enforced a similar embargo (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12702767) on PlayStation 3s in 2011 following a dispute over the use of Blu-ray technology in the console. When courts lifted the ban, LG was hit with a hefty fine for the 300,000 PS3s that were impounded.

3. A higher German court could stop the ban until it made a final ruling on an appeal. So far, the case has not moved beyond the current ruling.

acealive1
03-May-2012, 11:37 PM
very stupid thing of motorola to do.....they're gonna have to pay you guys so why make them stop producing products? idiots.