View Full Version : Devil's Playground on The Movie Channel Splatterday (review)

Sammich
06-May-2012, 05:48 AM
Here is a description from IMDB:

"DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND is a cutting edge British horror film that features zombies portrayed by free runners for a terrifyingly authentic representation of the undead."

Cutting edge? Essentially copying every single "zombie runner" movie from Dawn 04 to the Resident Evil series (it even has Colin Salmon from the first one) isn't exacly innovative. The whole pregnant immune chick goes all of the way back to a "rage virus" movie from 1985 called "Warning Sign".

Terrifyingly authentic representation of the undead? I dunno man, but until some actual real world zombie outbreak happens, I don't think anyone can make that claim. Maybe the undead in the 2012 apocalypse will like leisurely strolls in the park, eat cucumber finger sammiches, play Jenga and the terrifying part is that they hum Justin Beiber songs?

Ok, here is the basic story: some company comes up with a performance enhancing drug that turns everyone into PARKOUR (YES PARKOUR), 10 second 100 yard dash running, vampire hiss/gurgle/growl noisemaking zombies! The only one that can save the world is an infected hitman that was given a limited amount of anti-zombie serum who has to find a woman who is immune to the drug's zombificating effects due to her pregnancy.

Anyway, the movie is the standard formula of following groups of dysfunctional people trying to survive (and doing stupid things) who should have been on the Dr. Phil show instead. The ending can only be described as abruptly WTF? It isn't a bad movie though and has some moments of interest. I would put it in the category of something to watch while drinking or if you have nothing else better to do.