PDA

View Full Version : Titanic replica being built...

Neil
09-May-2012, 09:44 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/asia/australia-titanic/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

An Australian mining magnate has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build a replica of the ill-fated Titanic, complete in every detail but equipped with modern technology to prevent a repeat of the original's fateful maiden voyage 100 years ago.

Clive Palmer, a Queensland mining billionaire with strong links to China, told Australian media that he had signed a memorandum of understanding with CSC Jinling Shipyard to build the ship.

He said construction of the luxury cruise ship would begin next year and the ship would be ready to sail in 2016.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," he said in a statement.

MinionZombie
09-May-2012, 10:14 AM
I'd certainly hope it isn't 'complete in every detail' in-so-far-as not having enough life boats! And after the likes of Costa Concordia, a new system that prevents the boat rolling onto its side in a disaster.

I don't know about you, but I'd never set foot on the thing unless it was docked ... I'd never go on a cruise in that, talk about tempting fate! It also seems a little crass in a way, right?

Neil
27-Feb-2013, 10:38 AM
More news...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21597371

The Titanic II cruise liner, which will be constructed in China, will be an almost exact match of the original ship. But the plan is proving controversial and a relative of the Titanic's captain has said it is in "poor taste".

MinionZombie
27-Feb-2013, 10:54 AM
Most definitely poor taste - totally agreed on that front - and what's more, talk about pushing your luck and tempting fate! :eek:

AcesandEights
27-Feb-2013, 01:42 PM
Most definitely poor taste - totally agreed on that front - and what's more, talk about pushing your luck and tempting fate! :eek:

Hmmmm, and it'll be made in China, you say?

Neil
27-Feb-2013, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm, and it'll be made in China, you say?

Yes... Made in China and then shipped around the world, literally! :)

Mike70
27-Feb-2013, 04:18 PM
is it wrong to hope this one sinks too and takes every single one of the rich bastards on it along for the ride?

MoonSylver
27-Feb-2013, 09:41 PM
is it wrong to hope this one sinks too and takes every single one of the rich bastards on it along for the ride?

Meh. Maybe? But it would still be funny in some perverse way if it DID hit an iceberg & sink... :elol:

Now if I can just find some chick willing to fake her own death while we recreate that Leo & Kate thing from the movie so I can sue them for a billion dollars, then yeah, go ahead & build the damn thing. :D

Neil
27-Feb-2013, 09:50 PM
I suspect they'll have more than a pair of guys up in a crows nest to detect iceburgs with the new one!

shootemindehead
28-Feb-2013, 05:22 AM

HA!

Just what I was thinking yesterday.

But then I sort of felt bad because there would probably be some families of the descendants of the original disaster on board too.

Mike70
28-Feb-2013, 03:57 PM
Now if I can just find some chick willing to fake her own death while we recreate that Leo & Kate thing from the movie so I can sue them for a billion dollars, then yeah, go ahead & build the damn thing. :D

but...but if you don't freeze to death how will her heart go on? :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

HA!

Just what I was thinking yesterday.

:lol: i think that was the Irish in me coming out for a minute.

Cykotic
01-Mar-2013, 12:37 AM
Why does this seem like it's tempting fate? I know this aussie guy is loaded, and sometimes, people with money do very stupid things. But this is something that I think shouldn't be attempted.

i'm just waiting for either someone to say "This ship is unsinkable" or for a frakking iceberg to hit it. Although in that respect of an iceberg, global warming does have it's advantages.

I'm just wondering whats next... George Dubya winning the nobel peace prize?