View Full Version : Dark Shadows (film)

Neil
10-May-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh dear! I must admit the trailers concerned me!

1.5/5 - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Dark-Shadows-5854.html

isjg9O7ifwM

Danny
10-May-2012, 07:37 PM
first thought when i saw the trailer was 'oh man another grimdark fantasy thing from tim burton' then after the 'what year is it' bit i was all 'oh, wait, this is beetlejuice tim burton, not sleepy hollow tim burton'.
im tentatively excited for it. if only because there hasnt been a good comedy in the cinema for a good while and if it does have any of burtons humour from the likes of beetlejuice it could be entertaining.

bassman
10-May-2012, 07:49 PM
if only because there hasnt been a good comedy in the cinema for a good while and if it does have any of burtons humour from the likes of beetlejuice it could be entertaining.

With the recent news of both Burton and Keaton being ready for a Beetlejuice reunion, I'm hoping this will be a step in the right direction....

LouCipherr
10-May-2012, 07:53 PM
Y'know, I used to watch Dark Shadows as a kid. I never remember it being a comedy (well, perhaps unintentionally, but you know what I mean)....?

EvilNed
10-May-2012, 08:06 PM
I've seen various trailers of this in the cinema and I must admit I haven't even cracked a smile. This film seems so dull and run-of-the-mill.

Sammich
10-May-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh man. For some reason this reminds me of the Crocodile Dundee movies.

bassman
10-May-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh man. For some reason this reminds me of the Crocodile Dundee movies.

The first two Dundee movies are classics and don't you say otherwise!

Neil
10-May-2012, 09:21 PM
Y'know, I used to watch Dark Shadows as a kid. I never remember it being a comedy (well, perhaps unintentionally, but you know what I mean)....?

I was unaware of it, so looked it up. It certainly didn't look like a comedy at all!?

-- -------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

I've seen various trailers of this in the cinema and I must admit I haven't even cracked a smile. This film seems so dull and run-of-the-mill.

Same here, and the review seems to imply the same!

MoonSylver
10-May-2012, 10:29 PM
first thought when i saw the trailer was 'oh man another grimdark fantasy thing from tim burton' then after the 'what year is it' bit i was all 'oh, wait, this is beetlejuice tim burton, not sleepy hollow tim burton'.

I would have preferred grimdark Sleepy Hollow Tim Burton. Too bad they didn't get him to direct this instead, :(

Nope. It wasn't. Despite the unintentional camp it was played a gothic drama/horror. Which is what I was hoping for out of this. Not a spoof. TB & JD have both said what fans they were of the original. I'm calling bullshit. Any series I had a passion for I wouldn't be doing a parody of. I hate it when things are made with zero respect for the source material, regardless of if it was melodramatic & cheesy or not. It has retained a fan base for a reason. Yukking it up didn't have anything to do with it though I suspect. :rant:

Excited at news. Saw trailer. Zero interest now. :(

Neil
11-May-2012, 09:49 AM
Nope. It wasn't. Despite the unintentional camp it was played a gothic drama/horror. Which is what I was hoping for out of this. Not a spoof. TB & JD have both said what fans they were of the original. I'm calling bullshit. Any series I had a passion for I wouldn't be doing a parody of. I hate it when things are made with zero respect for the source material, regardless of if it was melodramatic & cheesy or not. It has retained a fan base for a reason. Yukking it up didn't have anything to do with it though I suspect. :rant:

Excited at news. Saw trailer. Zero interest now. :(
The comments on IMDB about the series are pretty favourable!

LouCipherr
11-May-2012, 01:31 PM
The series was pretty decent, albeit it moved a bit slowly, but then again it was for all intents and purposes a "soap opera."

I was shocked to see TB went with the parody/piss-take on this film. Made me lose all interest in seeing it. Had they kept the feel of the original, I would've been there in a heartbeat. :(

Sammich
11-May-2012, 07:40 PM
Chiller Tv is showing a Dark Shadows marathon starting at 6 am on saturday May 12. This is the 1991 remake, not the original from 1966.

LouCipherr
11-May-2012, 07:46 PM
Chiller Tv is showing a Dark Shadows marathon starting at 6 am on saturday May 12. This is the 1991 remake, not the original from 1966.

I saw the '91 remake. Has anyone seen it - and if so, was it any good/comparable to the original??

MoonSylver
11-May-2012, 07:49 PM
I saw the '91 remake. Has anyone seen it - and if so, was it any good/comparable to the original??

It were ok IIRC. Played pretty straight. Ben Cross made a great Barnabus.Joanna Going was quite fetching. I think there was an election that year or something & it kept getting pre-empted. Shame. :(

rongravy
11-May-2012, 10:29 PM
Awwww, hells naw. At the discount theater maybe, just to appease my Depp loving teenie bopper. I know it's going to suck ballsack. I just do.

rongravy
06-Jul-2012, 02:33 AM
Ha, I saw this the other day. Surprisingly, the worst part was that Cloe Moretz girl. A 15 year old trying to be slutty...
Just wrong.
Otherwise, not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Still, not that great. I don't really know alot about the original, other than that it looked sucky. So, I'm not butthurt there.
It was mostly him dealing with 1972's technology and people with disastrous results. Kind of Edward Scissorhands meets Dracula.
At least it only cost $2.50...