PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan's got one last action film in him

Neil
18-May-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18114255

Martial arts star Jackie Chan has confirmed his next film will be his last as an action star.

Speaking at a press conference in Cannes to launch Chinese Zodiac, Chan told reporters "this will be my last big action movie".

The Hong Kong-born actor, 58, added: "The world is too violent now. I love fighting but I hate violence".

The film, due for release in December, is the third in Chan's Armour of God series.

AcesandEights
18-May-2012, 01:39 PM
Never could sit through a whole Jackie Chan chop socky flick. He should do more ensemble work (no, I do not mean buddy movies).

Neil
18-May-2012, 03:02 PM
Never could sit through a whole Jackie Chan chop socky flick. He should do more ensemble work (no, I do not mean buddy movies).

"Police Story" is one of my favourite films ever!

rongravy
19-May-2012, 12:08 AM
The only movie I've ever liked with him in it was Cannonball Run. Everything he's done other than that has been crap. I can't stand the way he mangles English. I'm sorry, but I just can't. Add Chris Tucker in the mix and...
Suck City.
First off, I'm not an action movie guy. I do like some, but just not a fan of most. I saw one where Chan was fighting in and out of a shopping cart or something. It does nothing for me.
And don't even get me started on The Karate Kid remake. An abomination. WTF?!?!?
The only good thing about this thread is that it is his last action movie?
Not completely out, but another nail in that coffin...

Danny
19-May-2012, 12:29 AM
no account for taste in this thread :lol:

-bear in mind most folks in the west have only seen his terrible western films that are considered a blight on his career in the east. the man isnt bruce lee, he is literally a trained martial artist clown just like sammo hung was. The dude has put decades into a incredible range of films in the asian film world form comedy to drama and not always as a kung fu chuckle head.
Its a damn shame he is remembered over here more for his absolute worst films like shanghai knights. its like never seeing dawn of the dead and knowing romero as 'that hack who made diary of the dead' instead.
read up on the dude, he actually has decent acting chops when not starring in hollywood wank.

Neil
19-May-2012, 02:04 PM
Everything he's done other than that has been crap.
*sigh* Here we go again :(

-- -------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

read up on the dude, he actually has decent acting chops when not starring in hollywood wank.

...and films like "Police Story" are so unHollywood... Yes their production values are not as good/high as could be, but the energy and inventiveness is epic!

AcesandEights
19-May-2012, 06:17 PM
I do notice he seems to be expanding his repertoire.

NO5KNhQeFpw

rongravy
19-May-2012, 07:56 PM
*sigh* Here we go again :([COLOR="Silver"]

Yeah, I went there. I guess I can go more into detail why he sucks balls, but do I really need to? (The Karate Kid, among others...)
The guy grates on my nerves. I'm sure he's a nice guy in real life. I've never seen any of his other side of the world flicks, but I'm not a kung fu kinda guy, I don't like his movies, end of story. For awhile he was everywhere, thankfully I see him around the boobtube rarely anymore. I was just expressing my glee at him working his way towards the grave. Just a... little... closer...

Neil
19-May-2012, 09:50 PM
...hang on?

The only movie I've ever liked with him in it was Cannonball Run. Everything he's done other than that has been crap.
...but...

I've never seen any of his other side of the world flicks

Can you understand how I might interpret that as somewhat harsh?

I've found his Hollywood films pretty mediocre... I wouldn't say they're crap, just basically mainstream Hollywood (safe) fair.

And many of his native Chineese film are pretty mediocre martial art flicks. But that said, I would say in his defense:-
- He brings some very ingenious action and comedy (often combined together) into some of his films. He really is fairly unique in that area.
- From a stunts point of view, some of his work is nothing short of astounding! He does (or at least did) all his own stunts, and often severly injured himself. He deserves some brownie points for this alone IMHO!
- He has made a couple of brilliant martial arts films. But I can understand this genre isn't evenyones bag!

So I can truly understand someone not liking the genre and enjoying his films, but please, I beg, don't be so dismissive as to just tarnish them all as "crap"... Please.. (Especially as it sounds like you've not even watched his most original/best work?) Some of them are far more deserving than that, if only due to his sheer energy behind the screen in him getting them made, and his energy and his inventiveness on the screen! Give him a little nod at least for that... :)

I was just expressing my glee at him working his way towards the grave. Just a... little... closer...Wow! That's f***ed up!

Danny
19-May-2012, 11:02 PM
I was just expressing my glee at him working his way towards the grave. Just a... little... closer...

jesus, what the shit? did he rape your firstborn son? Or do you wish death on everyone whose stuff you are a bit lukewarm on?

AcesandEights
19-May-2012, 11:38 PM
This thread just got uncomfortable.

Rancid Carcass
20-May-2012, 01:59 AM
Gotta love wacky Jackie! Project A, Wheels on Meals and The Young Master are just awesome.

:cool:

Neil
20-May-2012, 08:49 AM
Gotta love wacky Jackie! Project A, Wheels on Meals and The Young Master are just awesome.

:cool:

He does inject some great humour and stunts into his work. Maybe where too many martial films are dead serious, his stuff stands out as not taking itself entirely seriously all the time :)

rongravy
20-May-2012, 03:31 PM
jesus, what the shit? did he rape your firstborn son? Or do you wish death on everyone whose stuff you are a bit lukewarm on?
Nahhhh, but he's raped my wallet a few times.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, I get crap for my love of Sandler, and Seth Rogen, among others.
I was being silly about the death thing, I don't literally want him to die. I meant more his acting career.
Sorry, I just don't get the love. I get he did alot of his stunts, I get that he put his brand of humor in it. I need to watch his stuff from over there?
Nahhhhh, I wouldn't know where to begin. I bet I can guess where it'd end...

Danny
21-May-2012, 05:44 AM
Nahhhhh, I wouldn't know where to begin.

qWdIyUbdZSA

shootemindehead
21-May-2012, 10:47 AM
Have to say I find his films a chore to sit through as well. The stunt work can be interesting at times, but the films as a whole are usually snore fests for me and I've seen quite a few as my mate who I lived with about 10 or 15 years ago was a huge fan.

I've always liked the bus chase scene in 'Police Story' and the end fight was ok, but the rest of the film had me checking my watch. For me, that's the problem with Jackie Chan films. The meat and veg is usually sandwiched between tedium.

The shitty post-production dubbing (even in Cantonese) and awful music doesn't help either.

They're a particular flavor that doesn't appeal to everyone.

Neil
21-May-2012, 11:24 AM
I've always liked the bus chase scene in 'Police Story' and the end fight was ok, but the rest of the film had me checking my watch. For me, that's the problem with Jackie Chan films. The meat and veg is usually sandwiched between tedium.It's each to their own of course. But Police Story for me is a great combination of action and comedy. Lots of very inventive comedy and raw action. Even his great phone answering scene in the police station is clever IMHO!

But I can understand it being an aquired taste :)

The shitty post-production dubbing (even in Cantonese) and awful music doesn't help either.I never watch foreign language films dubbed. It's never as good IMHO.

shootemindehead
21-May-2012, 02:00 PM
By "dubbing", I mean the general habit that some foreign movies had of adding in the language track after the film had been shot. Their own native language. The Italians used to do it all the time. They'd shoot with sound, but later add a track in the studio. Most Asian and Indian cinema used this method as well.