PDA

View Full Version : Django Unchained (film)

krisvds
08-Jun-2012, 11:00 AM
Always been a great spaghetti western lover (The Great silence being my favourite non-Leone one), so it will come as no surprise I like QT's films a lot. Really looking forward to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC8VJ9aeB_g

AcesandEights
08-Jun-2012, 01:37 PM
Oh, yeah! Checked this trailer out last night.

I'm hopeful. I figure I'll let myself get a little hyped, then go to see it in the theaters with 'what if it sucks' rattling around my head and probably either manage to eke some enjoyment out of it, or love it.

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2012, 05:45 PM
Definitely up for this one, hopefully it rocks. It will be interesting to see how they use the set from Deadwood in this flick (I recognise Swerengen's place over-the-street from the Hotel in one publicity photo, but clearly they've moved things around a bit and changed the layout). It'll also be interesting to see how this flick cuts together, now that Sally Menke (QT's editor on all his flicks) is sadly no longer with us.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2012, 02:31 AM
Quentin hasn't made a good film since 1994. So, I'm not holding my breath.

Sammich
09-Jun-2012, 03:24 AM
I tried to watch the first Django movie and it was embarassingly bad.

krisvds
09-Jun-2012, 06:32 AM
I tried to watch the first Django movie and it was embarassingly bad.

Sacrilege!
Corbucci's films are an acquired taste i guess? One has to have a certain affinity with what most refer to as euro-'trash' but to me the original Django is a bit of a cult favourite.

@ shootem: no love for inglorious basterds or kill bill? I enjoyed every film QT did to some extent. I even liked Death Proof ;)

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna blow shoot's mind right now - I absolutely loved Death Proof. I know it got a lot of hate from some quarters, but I absolutely loved it.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2012, 04:25 PM
aklsjdvn;odin po\'l;x rg !!!!

mynd bloown...caantt tipe.......

*ugh*

-- -------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

@ shootem: no love for inglorious basterds or kill bill? I enjoyed every film QT did to some extent. I even liked Death Proof ;)

'Kill Bill Vol 1' was Ok (just ok), but Vol 2 was the pits. However 'Inglorious Basterds' is the moment I stopped giving Tarentino chances.

Here's a review below (if you're interested):

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

'Inglorious Basterds'

I have to say, I'm done with Quentin. I've been giving him numerous chances since the brilliant 'Reservoir Dogs', but besides the decent 'Pulp Fiction' (VASTLY over rated though), he hasn't delivered...not once and this is the latest in a long series of disappointments.

Everything about this film is just irritating. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a parody of WWII (I get that). However, even as a parody, it stinks. It can't seem to get its own head around what it's supposed to be. So, subsequently, the viewer is left with the same fogginess.

In its defence, the first chapter is actually quite entertaining, even if the chapter idea is utterly ridiculous. Unfortunately, the opening sequence with the SS officer Landa and the French farmer is misleading in the extreme. It signals a vastly different film than the one we end up with. It is, for the most part, played entirely straight and with great suspense and it had me hooked for its duration. But, when you couple that scene, with end of the picture, you could be forgiven for thinking that you stepped out of a quality WWII movie and mistakenly stepped into a Mel Brooks comedy. The opening is incredibly deceitful.

The film rapidly descends into farce though, in the second chapter, when we are introduced to the "basterds". The entire scene and rest of the movie marred by Brad Pitt's terrible effort at a Tennessee drawl. "Wun Hunerd natzee skalps!". No sooner are we introduced to the avenging Jewish angels, then we're fast forwarded off to France in 1944, where the Basterds have been "killin' natzees" and their rep has been solidified!

The finale descends into it's obvious absurd conclusion, complete with a Hitler death at the hands of the Jewish soldiers and the abandonment of everything sensible. Even the chilling SS officer Landa is reduced to farce, completely stripped of the menace he oozed in the first chapter.

In short, the film is a series of set pieces, very loosely connected. The better ones being the beginning and the scene in the tavern. But, overall, the film is an absolute mess, pulling in far too many different directions. It's understandable that Tarantino had such a difficult time with the script and it seems that he never got around to ever pulling a truly finished draft. Quentin and his sycophants may think it's "kewl", but I want more than he has to offer.

In the end, like the producers of 'Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus', Quentin Tarantino is desperately hoping to capture the "so bad its good" vibe and is failing to understand that accident has a major part to play in that atmosphere, despite his wealth of knowledge in that area. Like Tarantino, I have a fondness for 70's Spaghetti WWII rip-off's, like the original 'Inglorious Bastards' or 'Five for Hell', but these films are entertaining, not because they set out to be deliberately bad, but because the filmakers just got it so wrong, due to various reasons including budget, schedule, lack of talent etc.

Tarantino has access to incredible amounts of money, schedule and talent...so stop deliberately trying to get things wrong. That doesn't mean, conversely, Tarantino is getting things "right". It just means that he's getting "wrong" wrong.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

krisvds
09-Jun-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the review. I disagree with it, but I understand why you disliked the film.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of seventies and eighties (mainly Italian) genre/exploitation films AND the nouvelle vague of Truffaud and Godard. I know that's as eclectic as they come but it is also why I love QT's films so much. It's as if Godard and Leone got together and made a western you know? It's been there ever since Reservoir Dogs but has gotten more blatantly obvious from Kill Bill onwards. I love Kill Bill 2 for what it is; a spaghetti western. With martial arts mixed in, and dialogue to rival anything those French directors came up with in the fifties and sixties. It's a cocktail I find very enjoyable.

Although I can understand how fragmented and disjointed it may come across to some viewers. To me it just mixes up nicely. His films are about film more than they are films if that makes any sense?
Say what you will of the chaotic nature of these last few films but there's one aspect no one in their right minds can ignore; brilliant photography and editing. His films excell in that.

LouCipherr
11-Jun-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm gonna blow shoot's mind right now - I absolutely loved Death Proof.

http://blog.ancientlasers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Mind-Blown.jpg

MinionZombie
11-Jun-2012, 05:38 PM
http://blog.ancientlasers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Mind-Blown.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

*Right Click, Save As...* :D

Neil
11-Jun-2012, 06:25 PM
Didn't realise Tom Savini was in this!

MoonSylver
12-Jun-2012, 10:02 PM
Definitely up for this one

Me too.

Quentin hasn't made a good film

Fixed for you. :sneaky:

Didn't realise Tom Savini was in this!

:eek: Hide all PA's & groupies! :lol:

Neil
20-Dec-2012, 09:31 AM
AICN likes it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60084

There is a great degree of fun to be had watching DJANGO UNCHAINED. You can see the passion Tarantino has for the project in every frame that comes across the screen, and that gets passed down to you as a member of the audience who is sure to be swept away by this simple story he’s put together with strong characters you want to spend nearly three hours of your life with. Don’t be surprised to find DJANGO UNCHAINED high up on my Top 10 list for the year, because this is a great piece of film and another instance where Tarantino takes his best shot at topping his previous works and comes pretty damn close to succeeding.

AcesandEights
20-Dec-2012, 01:26 PM
Nice! Comes across as a little too fall-upon-thy-knees of a review without the details, but I prefer to be spared the details at this point anyway...all the better to enjoy them in the theater!

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2012, 04:37 PM
Hopefully the action is more evenly balanced with the chit-chat than it was in Inglourious Basterds. While I enjoyed that film quite a lot (the opening interrogation-of-sorts in the farm house was wonderfully tense), I did feel that the balance between the two was too much in favour of the verbal exchanges, so trying to level-it-out a bit in Django Unchained would be a welcome tweak. What does everyone else think in that regard?

I've read that Tarantino does have the idea of an extended version of the flick floating around in his head, but he has said that he wouldn't go into that for a little while as he wants to let this version live a little first, out there in the world in front of audiences.

MoonSylver
20-Dec-2012, 06:38 PM
It's very hard to judge from a trailer, but from what we've been shown it comes across as a more "Traditional" western. I haven't seen a lot of the QT "funky" vibe as in Kill Bill or Basterds. But, we'll see. :)

Neil
27-Dec-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Django-Unchained-Features-Some-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Real-Blood-34804.html

"Leo had slammed his hand on the table countless times and he moved his hand further and he crushed a crystal cordial glass," Stacey Sher, a producer on the movie, told the trade publication. "Blood was dripping down his hand. He never broke character. He kept going. He was in such a zone. It was very intense. He required stitches."

With the cameras still rolling, DiCaprio refused to break character and just kept saying his dialogue. The blood was even worked into the scene, with the villain rubbing some on Washington's face. Once cut was called the cast and crew gave him a standing ovation. "Not because he cut himself," Sher said. "Because in that scene he had pages and pages of monologue. His performance was masterful. His level of commitment is extraordinary."

MinionZombie
27-Dec-2012, 12:49 PM
Blimey. DiCaprio's come a long way since that squeaky voiced teen in Critters 3, hasn't he? :)

I'm very much looking forward to seeing QT's new flick. I've been hearing many good things about it.

bassman
27-Dec-2012, 01:04 PM
I've just seen that some religious or sensitive group is petitioning the MPAA to re-rate the film to NC-17. Because "Children are allowed with parent guidance" in an R-rated film. Hrmmm....there's a novel idea - parenting.

aaron2
27-Dec-2012, 04:49 PM
Really up for the movie! was waiting for the preview and its finally here...

MoonSylver
28-Dec-2012, 03:22 AM
I've just seen that some religious or sensitive group is petitioning the MPAA to re-rate the film to NC-17. Because "Children are allowed with parent guidance" in an R-rated film.

And in other news, Moon petitions all religious & sensitivity groups to fuck off and mind their own goddamn business. Funny how the groups who cry like a bunch of bitches when someone tries to tell THEM what to do has no problem sticking their nose in everyone else's business... :rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jan-2013, 01:51 PM
And in other news, Moon petitions all religious & sensitivity groups to fuck off and mind their own goddamn business. Funny how the groups who cry like a bunch of bitches when someone tries to tell THEM what to do has no problem sticking their nose in everyone else's business... :rockbrow:

LMAO

Ok, so I have seen Django Unchained 3 times... this was my first thoughts after screening #1.

Movie Review - Django Unchained (2012)

So Quentin Tarantino brings us his 7th film (I count Kill Bill as one film). Django Unchained. I will start off by saying Quentin tarantino nailed the Spaghetti Western style very well. The look, the feel, everything was there that needed to make it feel like a Sergio Leone film.

I did have some issues with music placement in the film, 1000 Coffins by Rick Ross had no fit or placement and in my opinion, weren't needed or welcomed, but hey this is just my opinion.

The film as a whole is probably QT's 3rd best. In rank, I go Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs then Django Unchained. Quentin smartly abandoned the long diatribes that bogged down films such as Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds, and instead kept the pace moving quite quickly, although a few moments dragged on, and could have been recut better, the pacing was swift and kept the film moving along.

The chemistry between Christoph Waltz and Jamie Foxx was undeniably spot on. Leo DiCaprio, playing Calvin Candy, if the boy doesn't get an Oscar nod out of this... I will lose respect for the academy. This is the first time I have actually watched Leo, not play Leo. Although his fame is a large part of his persona, and it shows here, being as ruthless as he was throughout his portion of the film was definitely entertaining.

On to the subject that pisses a good portion of people off, including loud mouth need to stay in the limelight Spike Lee.

Yes, the film is brazen, the dialog course, harsh and straight out foul in every manner whatsoever, but after just watching Lincoln recently and finding the same use of the N word, in its derogatory form, I find no issues with it here in Django Unchained.

The film is set in the deep south, and even to this day large pockets of the south still have no love for black folks, so in 150+ years nothing has changed, but for it's setting and time (1858) the course language to describe the slaves in possession of any owner was most likely as accurate in the film as it was in real life. people that have an issue with need to just SHUT THE FUCK UP.

With Quentin's style, and the performances of the cast from front to back, this is a film any QT lover will enjoy from start to finish. Oh, and Samuel Jackson performance as the head house slave, is just spectacular. Is it award worthy... I don't think so, is it nomination worthy... I believe so.

If you're a fan of the 1960's Spaghetti film, Django, look for star Franco Nero in a great little cameo meeting face to face with his title character.

My opinion, the Best QT film since Pulp Fiction. 8.75/10, a Must own once it hits Blu-Ray...

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Then after my 3rd Viewing, I added to my review.

I just caught showing #3 of Django, and the film has officially bumped Reservoir Dogs out of the #2 spot. (Pulp Fiction still holds #1)

After 3 viewings my mind is made up that no one else could have played Big Daddy but Don Johnson

No one else could have played Dr. Schultz. (Christoph was first and only choice)

Stephen (it was written with Sam in mind so i will leave it at that)

Calvin Candie (Leo killed it, and if he doesn't at least get a nomination out of it, fuck the awards body of any award granting authority who snubs him)

Django... I know a lot of folks are really teetering on this, but after watching the film 3 times I am convinced Will Smith could not have pulled this off. Jamie has an arrogance to him that spews into his characters and that is what Django as a character needed. Could his performance been better, sure, but for the material and how he had to carry it... I will say it. No one else could have pulled this off.

Broomhilda - Kerry Washington just made this work. Her dialog and screentime were minimal, but comparing her character to the tale Dr. Schultz tells Django about Broomhilda, she (kerry) plays the Damsel/Princess in distress perfectly. her look and the innocence of persona and character make it perfect.

=O)

I am thinking about a 4th viewing.

__________________________________________________ _________

Currently Django has knocked Reservoir Dogs out of 2nd place on my list of QT films ranked by Greatness. PF of course sits at #1.

krisvds
06-Jan-2013, 02:36 PM
Was pretty pumped to see it. Am even more so now after reading this ^^
Can not wait.

rongravy
06-Jan-2013, 04:28 PM
LMAO

Ok, so I have seen Django Unchained 3 times...

I am thinking about a 4th viewing.

__________________________________________________ _________

Currently Django has knocked Reservoir Dogs out of 2nd place on my list of QT films ranked by Greatness. PF of course sits at #1.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
Maybe you should get a private screening...
Or some boner pants.

I get the love, not for QT(whom I dislike), but in general. I saw Pineapple Express nine times as I loves me some Apatow.

My kid keeps telling me to see this. I'm waiting until it's cheap, and I've seen everything else I want to see, so it's still a possibility...

MoonSylver
06-Jan-2013, 06:01 PM
Movie Review - Django Unchained (2012)...

Thanks for a great review Deej. I've really been wanting to see it. Just haven't felt up to venturing out to the theaters. High praise indeed if you find it better than Reservoir Dogs, which will probably always be my #1 since it has a grittier and more down-to-earth edge that successive films didn't as they made the choice to stylistically go over the top.

Unlike a lot of people, Pulp Fiction would not be my number two I think. It's an undeniably great film, but the over hype of it over the years dulled it for me a bit. I really liked Kill Bill & Inglorious Basterds...so I guess that would make them 3 & 4?

Anyway, again, great review. You should think about going into films. :sneaky:

bassman
06-Jan-2013, 06:34 PM
I loved the flick, but I don't think the "western" title really fits it. It goes off into too many different directions to be considered a true western, imo. I believe even Tarantino said he doesn't consider it a western. I believe he said he prefers to call it a Southern, which is fitting.

I was suprised at the amount of comedy. I actually cried during the "bags" scene I was laughing so hard.

AcesandEights
07-Jan-2013, 01:43 PM
A decent Tarrantino movie with great, GREAT acting, some fun (if occassionally dissonant) music choices and....grit. A whole ton of grit.

Otherwise, I actually don't like the deemphasizing of dialog in the film. Oh, there was some great dialogue, but I actually expect and want indulgent dialogue-driven scenes when I go to see his films. I'm so glad he's doing what he's doing, though.

I was suprised at the amount of comedy. I actually cried during the "bags" scene I was laughing so hard.

Dude, I laughed my ass off a couple of times.

How was watching this film in the theaters down South, Bass? Given the subject matter, I couldn't help but wonder on the way home from watching it last night.

bassman
07-Jan-2013, 02:35 PM
How was watching this film in the theaters down South, Bass? Given the subject matter, I couldn't help but wonder on the way home from watching it last night.

It was fine. I think everyone knew it was set during a certain time and the language was appropriate for it. Plus they make so much fun of the language with the funny "nigger" jokes that I just don't see anyone taking it offensively. I was in a pretty packed theater with tons of black people and they were all laughing right along with it. ESPECIALLY when Samuel L. Jackson's character entered the film and was the most racist of them all. :lol:

Tricky
07-Jan-2013, 02:42 PM
ESPECIALLY when Samuel L. Jackson's character entered the film and was the most racist of them all. :lol:

Have you seen the interview with Samuel L. Jackson about this film where he's trying to get the white journalist to say the "N" word and he's squirming in his seat? its on Youtube, quite funny, give it a watch :p

*edited to add, this is what I was talking about
2K5cXUaj-bM

rongravy
07-Jan-2013, 08:31 PM
Sammy J. is a bigger tit than the guy interviewing him. What was even the point of that.
He trying to learn us?

EvilNed
09-Jan-2013, 09:23 AM
Great film as a film. Good film as a QT film. Nowhere near his best, but even the worst of QT's films are a great bit above average. Well, maybe not Death Proof.

Pulp Fiction is great, but I've seen it too many times. I don't think it's QT's best. That honor goes to Inglourious Basterds, which blew me away the first time I saw it. Literally, what a great film. This one didn't blow me away, but I was entertained. Jamie Foxx was great, Christoph Waltz was great, most of them were great. Didn't find Samuel Jackson's character to be that funny, but everyone else did so, meh.

Leo's villain was entertaining, but he was no Hans Landa of Inglourious Basterds fame. QT's films are always turning the tables on the characters and the audience and this film doesn't disappoint. However, by now we're half expecting that to happen, so I'd say the reason I rate this below Inglourious above this one is probably because I could see all the twists coming here.

If I were to rate QTs films in order... It'd probably be:

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill Vol.1
5. Pulp Fiction
6. Django Unchained
7. Kill Bill Vol.2
8. Death Proof (The only one of them I don't really like).

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2013, 09:57 AM
I guess I must be one of the relative few who really dig Death Proof. I've seen it numerous times now and I love it.

Generally I think QT could re-balance his act though - less talk, more action - not in a dumb-dumb way, but to just redress the balance a bit. Inglourious Basterds was a corker, but it could have lost 15 minutes quite easily, and used a little bit more of the running time for a bit more Dirty Dozen style action scenes. Getting a bit too talky at times, you know? Has anyone else thought the same thing? It's not a huge deal, just a re-adjustment, I feel. Kill Bill Vol. 1 for instance - I'd say that's very well balanced between some cracking action and some tip-top dialogue, but Vol. 2 is far more talky and while the payoff was interesting, it did leave you a bit wanting at the same time.

Although strangely it didn't bother me as much in Death Proof - probably because that's one of his shortest movies in the last decade, but also because I just dug the vibe of the flick. I enjoyed hanging out with these chicks as they partied in bars, or particularly with the second gang as they cruise around and talk about working on movies, so waiting like forty minutes for the first-of-two action segments didn't feel like a drag to me.

It's just that in some of his other recent works I've felt like I've got the idea of the scene before the scene has finished. So I'm sat there waiting for the scene to end as I'm already hip to what the characters are thinking and intending to happen. Just a little bit of judicious editing to hone it a bit, make it a tad more efficient, would be nice. You look at Reservoir Dogs and it's quite an efficient film, and even Pulp Fiction has a really electric pace to it.

So from those who have seen Django Unchained (it's not out in the UK yet), and just out of interest, how does the balancing between dialogue and action feel? About the same as IB, or more like KBv1, or somewhere in-between, nearer either the former or the latter?

EvilNed
09-Jan-2013, 10:41 AM
Django Unchained isn't really an action flick. In that regard, it draws heavily from the western genre. Apart from one shoot out, there are only short bursts of violence but they're spread throughout relatively balanced out.

Overall, I wouldn't see this film expecting a whole lot of action. Yes, it's there but it's not the focus of the film nor do I think QT wanted it to be. The reason I'm saying that is because of all QT's films, this might have the least memorable action scenes in it. I can really only think of one scene, and that kinda felt like a watered down version of what happens at the end of Kill Bill Vol 1. And much shorter.

LouCipherr
11-Jan-2013, 01:59 PM
I guess I must be one of the relative few who really dig Death Proof.

Yup. :lol:

I finally got a chance to see Django this week - totally kick-ass. There was about 15 minutes or so I think could've been trimmed from the flick, but this one certainly didn't suffer from the overly-dialogue-heavy issue many of QT's films do. For as long as this film was, it certainly didn't "feel" like it was a long film.

I don't know why, but this is one of my favorite exchanges in the movie:

Where's Ellis?

He's the one high-tailing it across that field.

Are you sure that's him?

Yes.

Positive?

I don't know.

You don't know if you're positive?

I don't know what positive means.

It means you're sure.

Yes.

Yes, what?

Yes I'm sure that's Ellis Brittle

<BANG>

.....I'm positive he's dead.

:lol:

AcesandEights
11-Jan-2013, 02:23 PM
this one certainly didn't suffer from the overly-dialogue-heavy issue many of QT's films do.
The dialogue is pretty much what makes most Tarantino films and I thought the film lost a step from de-emphasizing it :confused:

For as long as this film was, it certainly didn't "feel" like it was a long film.
I disagree, it was a good film, the acting was good to great and there was some nice dialogue (though not enough for me), but it was poorly paced and felt loooooooong.

Also, I thought Death Proof was great ;)

LouCipherr
11-Jan-2013, 04:49 PM
The dialogue is pretty much what makes most Tarantino films

True, but at a certain point it moves into the realm of ridiculous. I have no issues with dialogue-heavy films, but I do take issue when that dialogue does nothing to move the plot forward. Death Proof, IMO, was a prime example of this and it crippled that movie for me. Django seemed to balance this out much better than his films in the past.

Put it this way: It feels like, to me, that QT makes films like Stephen King writes books. There a LOT of completely unnecessary stuff in them, but I end up enjoying most of them no matter what. I mean, SK can spend 25-35% of a book flashing back into someone's past, but that past has no bearing whatsoever on what's going on in the present. Sure, it's character development, but get a move on with that shit, will ya? I'VE GOT STUFF TO DO! :lol: :lol:

I disagree, it was a good film, the acting was good to great and there was some nice dialogue (though not enough for me), but it was poorly paced and felt loooooooong.

Really? When I watched it, it felt like the time whizzed by pretty quick. I didn't feel like I was watching a two-and-a-half-hour plus movie. Perhaps it was just me, but I felt it was paced a lot better than many of his other films.

Also, I thought Death Proof was great ;)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Ace-VenturaLOSER.jpg

:lol: :D

bassman
11-Jan-2013, 05:52 PM
Jumping in as another Death Proof lover.... :p

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2013, 06:13 PM
Sitting through Death Proof is like getting a root canal without being numbed.

AcesandEights
11-Jan-2013, 06:20 PM

Soooo...you're likening it to a visceral and unforgettable experience!

I agree!

LouCipherr
11-Jan-2013, 06:37 PM

Soooo...you're likening it to a visceral and unforgettable experience!

I agree!

Yes, but some "visceral and unforgettable experiences" aren't ones you REALLY want to remember. Like that one weekend in Vegas I spent with a midget, a tranny, a hooker and a can of fix-a-flat....

Oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2013, 07:24 PM

Yes, but some "visceral and unforgettable experiences" aren't ones you REALLY want to remember. Like that one weekend in Vegas I spent with a midget, a tranny, a hooker and a can of fix-a-flat....

Oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That would describe my feelings towards death Proof.

shootemindehead
11-Jan-2013, 07:44 PM

Just another tedious weekend repairing bicycle punctures with the family...

Yawn...

bassman
11-Jan-2013, 08:18 PM
I understand not liking it, but you fellas seem to take some sort of personal offense from it...

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2013, 11:42 PM
I understand not liking it, but you fellas seem to take some sort of personal offense from it...

From Death proof?

Hell yes, it took 90 minutes of my life I will never get back, that is like sitting through Day of the Dead 2 or a UWE BOLL film. I could have masturbated for 20 minutes and had more to show for it than Death proof gave to me in entertainment value.

It is, the only QT movie I hate. The only one. The rest I like or LOVE. DP, just refuse to acknowledge its existence.

krisvds
12-Jan-2013, 06:22 AM
Naaah. Death Proof is great. It's as if Godard made a tacky seventies grindhouse feature which is exactly how it was advertised.
The dialogues in that film to me were comedy gold. All these chicks were talking like white guys trying to be cool street wise guys but failing to hide their overall geekiness (Dirty Mary Crazy Larry references and all). I found it very self indulgent on QT's part but also very, very funny.
Plus: I dare you to name a better filmed, staged car chase in recent memory than the finale.

EvilNed
12-Jan-2013, 10:26 AM
I cant even remember the car chase. While its probably good, i doubt it's excellent. The only car chase that sticks out in my mind is the one in Matrix Reloaded which is awesome. There's also more going on there. Death proof is just a car chasing another car, on empty roads, isn't it?

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2013, 11:44 AM
Death proof is just a car chasing another car, on empty roads, isn't it?

I disagree. It's an old-school-feeling car-vs-car cat & mouse game, just two burly muscle cars growling at the camera as they yomp along back roads (there's a whole sequence where they weave through traffic and cause various accidents, including a motorcyclist smashing into a building), and with one of the lead actresses (also a stunt woman in real life) clinging to the bonnet (hood) of one of the cars (as previously featured in Vantage Point - one of the, if not the, greatest car movie(s) ever) for dear life as they charge along at I-don't-know-how-fast-but-it-was-ruddy-fast speeds. The hunted become the hunters and then its arse-kicking revenge.

Yeah, DP is probably one of QT's more indulgent flicks, and probably one of his most laid back films - but that's part of the reason I dig it. It's a movie I can kick back with, and then get a couple of jolts along the way. There could be more action peppered throughout, sure, but even still I just totally dug it. The music, the style, being able to just hang out with these two groups of chicks like a fly-on-the-wall, Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a cheerleader outfit, the kick arse car sequences, Kurt-fucking-Russell being all kinds of dangerously cool ... I just really dig that movie.

EvilNed
12-Jan-2013, 12:30 PM
Ok, I see your point. I still don't like the film that much because I found it very boring. I also disliked Planet Terror, but from different reasons. I might rewatch Planet Terror sometime, båand maybe DP in some QT marathon. I hear there's a shorter version.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I see your point. I still don't like the film that much because I found it very boring. I also disliked Planet Terror, but from different reasons. I might rewatch Planet Terror sometime, båand maybe DP in some QT marathon. I hear there's a shorter version.

Pardon my spelling, i blame the iPad.

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2013, 05:25 PM
Ned - there's the stand-alone version and then there's the Grindhouse cut (Machete trailer, Planet Terror's shorter version, fake trailers, then Death Proof's shorter version). The stand-alone version of DP is 27 minutes longer than the Grindhouse cut of the movie.

Go here:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5013

Scroll down to the Death Proof section, and you can see a report on what is missing in the shorter version.

I've actually only seen the shorter version twice, but I've seen the longer version a good 4 or 5 times, so I'm more familiar with the longer cut. I'll have to pop in my Grindhouse Blu-Ray and give the DP section another spin out of interest.

LouCipherr
14-Jan-2013, 01:28 PM
The stand-alone version of DP is 27 minutes longer than the Grindhouse cut of the movie.

Oh, excellent.. .an additional 27 minutes of talking that goes nowhere! Just what that movie needed!

</sarcasm>

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh, excellent.. .an additional 27 minutes of talking that goes nowhere! Just what that movie needed!

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/s/samuel-l-jackson-talks-django-unchained-124364-470-75.jpg

bassman
14-Jan-2013, 02:11 PM
An issue with 27 additional minutes of really hot women?!? What is the world coming to?

:p

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2013, 04:19 PM
An issue with 27 additional minutes of really hot women?!? What is the world coming to?

It's a madhouse! A madhouse!

:D

LouCipherr
14-Jan-2013, 04:27 PM

27 additional minutes of women that won't STFU? Yeah, that's what ALL us guys want, right guys?!

bassman
14-Jan-2013, 04:33 PM
27 additional minutes of women that won't STFU? Yeah, that's what ALL us guys want, right guys?!

Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Rosario Dawson could read sleazy romance novels or the Twilight books to me for weeks and I wouldn't mind....

LouCipherr
14-Jan-2013, 07:02 PM
Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Rosario Dawson could read sleazy romance novels or the Twilight books to me for weeks and I wouldn't mind....

:rockbrow:

I never knew you were a Twilight fan, bass!

***edited to add: I saw what you did there, Aces. :p :D

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2013, 08:03 PM

Damn, we're on the same wavelength today, Bass.

MoonSylver
15-Jan-2013, 05:15 AM

If only it WERE just 27 minutes... :( :lol: Instead we've got...

...women that won't STFU.

Done. :D

Neil
15-Jan-2013, 08:50 AM
Seeing it next Thursday... Looking forward to it...

LouCipherr
15-Jan-2013, 12:25 PM
Damn, we're on the same wavelength today, Bass.

What, you like Twilight too?

*head about to explode*

WTF is going on here!? Who are you people and what did you do with my HPotD brethren?!

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2013, 03:23 PM
What, you like Twilight too?

*head about to explode*

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/LousReadingComprehensionisaCauseforConcern_zps49e5 38d6.png

LouCipherr
15-Jan-2013, 07:24 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Reactions/blankstare.gif

Hey man, I'm dumb as a brick - if I couldn't understand and comprehend what you typed, what do you think a graphic like that is going to do to my brain?

It's cool Aces, I got it. You and bass secretly love Twilight. It's ok. We understand, and we promise we won't tell anyone else about your penchant for sparkly, doe-eyed, teenage vampires in love.

MoonSylver
15-Jan-2013, 09:06 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Reactions/blankstare.gif
It's cool Aces, I got it. You and bass secretly love Twilight. It's ok. We understand, and we promise we won't tell anyone else about your penchant for sparkly, doe-eyed, teenage vampires in love.

Now Lou, we must not judge. Just because....wait!, What tha'! *GEORGE LUCAS!!!* *WHATTA YOU DOIN' HERE!!! *I.....

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo253/killer0fkillers/star-wars-george-lucas-homos.jpg

*NO!!!! BAD GEORGE LUCAS!!! BAD!!!*

:lol: :nana:

LouCipherr
16-Jan-2013, 12:38 AM
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo253/killer0fkillers/star-wars-george-lucas-homos.jpg

shootemindehead
16-Jan-2013, 06:08 AM
Feckin hell...I actually LoL'd.

I'm all set for the day now!

LouCipherr
18-Jan-2013, 07:24 PM

Neil
25-Jan-2013, 09:05 AM
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

However, I thought Tarantino's cameo was uncharacteristically quite poor!

AcesandEights
25-Jan-2013, 01:32 PM
However, I thought Tarantino's cameo was uncharacteristically quite poor!

His one-off stuff usually is. He's a pretty wooden guy. Best role I've seen him in, which he was great for, was Jimmie in Pulp Fiction and that was because his 'woodeness' helped with the deadpan delivery.

Neil
25-Jan-2013, 02:26 PM
Jimmie in Pulp FictionWhen you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"?

Classic line!

He was good in "From Dusk Till Dawn!"

LouCipherr
25-Jan-2013, 04:11 PM
When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"?

"You know why you didn't see that sign? Because storing dead niggers ain't my fu*king business, that's why!"

Loved his part in Pulp Fiction, but yeah, his "cameos" (if we wanna call 'em that) in Django really weren't anything to write home about.

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2013, 05:48 PM
Still to see Django Unchained - but want to.

I re-watched Death Proof (in the Grindhouse cut) and Inglourious Basterds this week though. He's alright in Death Proof as he doesn't have much to do in the bit of the movie he's in, he's really only got one proper scene (the Chartreuse bit).

Fine with him in Pulp Fiction - fine with him in Reservoir Dogs - also very much fine with him in From Dusk Till Dawn (good point, Neil) ... perhaps not great performances as he's not a professional actor, but I've never been bothered by his cameos/bit parts as some folks out there have been. Not seen his cameo in Django yet, mind you ... so we'll see how I feel about that in due course.

Back to IB - I still think 15 minutes could have been trimmed out of it at the script state, and perhaps with some clever editing even at the edit suite stage, but it's a damned good movie that. I haven't watched it since 2009, and this was my third viewing - a damn good flick. A bit too talky in places, yes, but damn good and it feels appropriately epic.

I will concede that, yes, a lot of dialogue in Death Proof ultimately doesn't 'go anywhere', but on the other hand it's what I consider to be a "hang out" movie - I hang out with these characters and shoot the shit - kind of like with Dazed & Confused. I'm not comparing them as movies etc, so don't get your panties in a bunch, but just in the general vibe of hanging out with the characters like a fly on the wall. DP is a relaxed sort of flick - until the petrol starts pumping - and I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kurt Russell kicks flippin' arse as Stuntman Mike. Mysterious, then charming, then downright creepy, then flat-out dangerous, then sort of a charming rogue, then a wailing pussy who gets what he's owed - a crackin' performance.

LouCipherr
25-Jan-2013, 06:32 PM
I re-watched Death Proof

MZ - you're a closet masochist, aren't you? Admit it. It's ok, you're among friends...

AcesandEights
25-Jan-2013, 07:09 PM
Kurt Russell kicks flippin' arse as Stuntman Mike. Mysterious, then charming, then downright creepy, then flat-out dangerous, then sort of a charming rogue, then a wailing pussy who gets what he's owed - a crackin' performance.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m24vghCXZt1qb2n4qo1_500.gif

Hell yeah :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2013, 11:54 AM
MZ - you're a closet masochist, aren't you? Admit it. It's ok, you're among friends...

My enjoyment of Death Proof is entirely unconnected from my time with Mistress Olga and her dungeon of sauciness ... ... wait! I've said too much... :shifty:

:lol::lol::lol:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m24vghCXZt1qb2n4qo1_500.gif

Hell yeah :thumbsup:

Top banana. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Neil
25-Feb-2013, 08:22 AM
So, two Oscars last night? Including best supporting actor for Christoph Waltz :)

LouCipherr
25-Feb-2013, 01:11 PM
best supporting actor for Christoph Waltz :)

He could not have been more deserving of the award, too. I'm glad he won. :D

AcesandEights
25-Feb-2013, 01:53 PM
He could not have been more deserving of the award, too. I'm glad he won. :D

I thought he was great in the film, but not that great. Is it a failing of the other nominees in the category, perhaps? I don't think I've seen any of the other films, yet.

LouCipherr
25-Feb-2013, 05:07 PM
I thought he was great in the film, but not that great.

Did we watch the same movie? :lol:

AcesandEights
25-Feb-2013, 06:33 PM
Did we watch the same movie? :lol:

You thought it was the best performance by a male supporting actor last year? I think I finally found someone who went to less movies than I did this year.

This was a give back for his not winning for his last nomination, like when Crowe won best actor for that abortion 'Gladiator' the year after he missed out for 'The Insider'.

It was a great, fun performance, but--like I said--not that great.

shootemindehead
25-Feb-2013, 08:06 PM
Tommy Lee Jones would have got my nod and 'Argo' winning out over 'Lincoln' - Bollocks.

And am I really the only one who didn't care that much for 'Django Unchained'?

LouCipherr
25-Feb-2013, 08:17 PM
You thought it was the best performance by a male supporting actor last year?

I'm not exactly a theater rat. I don't see every movie that comes out, but out of all the ones I saw? Yes. So sue me. :lol:

It was a great, fun performance, but--like I said--not that great.

And out of curiosity, which did you consider to be "great"?

Neil
25-Feb-2013, 08:57 PM
I have to say Washington in Flight was brilliant... Not seen Lincoln so can't comment on Lewis winning it...

- - - Updated - - -

And am I really the only one who didn't care that much for 'Django Unchained'?
I'll give you it was a very up and down affair... But when it was up, boy it was up :) IMHO

bassman
26-Feb-2013, 11:45 AM
That award should've gone to John Goodman's role in Flight. :)

Neil
26-Feb-2013, 12:24 PM
That award should've gone to John Goodman's role in Flight. :)

Really didn't think much of that. Found it contrived and almost at odds with the rest of the film TBH.

bassman
26-Feb-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. His role was silly and a bit out of place, but I suppose he had his reasons for being there.

Neil
14-Apr-2013, 10:08 AM
Watched this again on a flight last week, and have to say I enjoyed it far more than my first viewing! Still say the weakest part of the film was Tarantino's cameo!

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2013, 11:27 AM
I still haven't seen it - but I will when the blu-ray comes out next month. :)

shootemindehead
14-Apr-2013, 01:01 PM
Haven't seen it yet myself, apart from the first 10 minutes.

Might give it a spin tonight.