PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Bullets In High Demand Following Flesh-Eating Attacks

Sammich
09-Jun-2012, 12:07 AM
Ya, the boxes look cool and all, but they are the wrong types of bullets to use for a zombie apocalypse. Zombie Max is repackaged V-Max ammo, V meaning varmint as in critters up to the size of coyotes. The main function of these bullets is maximum expansion and fragmentation after entering the target with limited penetration.

In the Romero world you penetration is the most desired trait of projectiles, as zombies are unaffected by soft tissue wound cavitation. Plain ball or full metal jacket would be the preferrable and much cheaper round as these exhibit maximum penetration through barriers and zombie skulls.

bQWb-5nblx4

Zombie Bullets In High Demand Following Flesh-Eating Attacks (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07/zombie-bullets-in-high-demand-following-flesh-eating-attacks/)

“This is probably one of the only (product) launches that we’ve seen when people who are not in the hunting and shooting industry will go out and they will purchase this,” Deger said.

“I mean, I’ve heard of guys who buy it just because they think the packaging is cool and they set it on their cube and they don’t even own a gun,” he said. ”It has that sort of cross-market appeal, which I think is rare to find these days, where you can actually sell something that will transcend not just one market but go into several.”

fulci fan
08-Jul-2012, 04:46 AM
We usually sell out as soon as we get shipments of this stuff at my work

krakenslayer
08-Jul-2012, 04:13 PM
In the Romero world you penetration is the most desired trait of projectiles, as zombies are unaffected by soft tissue wound cavitation. Plain ball or full metal jacket would be the preferrable and much cheaper round as these exhibit maximum penetration through barriers and zombie skulls.

I'm no gun expert, but I will play Devil's Advocate here: wouldn't high fragmentation probably damage a wider area of the brain and be more likely to result in a definitive kill? I mean, living humans can sometimes survive getting clean holes punched in their frontal lobes (albeit usually with massive loss of function) so a penetrating round that pierces straight through with a minimum of cavitation (particularly from the side, where the projectile won't pass through to the cerebellum) is not guaranteed to bring down a zombie that, if we believe Professor Logan in Day, only really requires certain parts of the parietal and occipital lobes to function, and for whom simple trauma and blood loss are not issues. I'd expect (read: layman's guess) the most effective kind of ammunition would be something that would slow down and fragment upon striking the skull, with the fragments fanning out inside the cerebral mass to cause the widest area of damage. Additionally, even for non-headshots, would high cavitation not relate to more severe muscular and nervous damage if applied to, say, a target's legs or back?

Sammich
09-Jul-2012, 04:57 AM
As I mentioned before the Z-max rounds are repackaged V-max (i.e. Varmint Max). The .223 rifle rounds shown are designed for taking small game and would work against living humans.

Zombies are completely different animals. In order to destroy the lower brain a bullet will have to pass through a lot of bone and tissue especially through the facial area. A .223 varmint bullet would likely fragment without enough penetration, whereas a FMJ could still retain enough mass and energy to exit out the back of the skull.

Plus it is cheaper too:
A box of 20 Hornady 55gr Z-max in .223 lists for $24.53 or $1.23 per round
A box of 50 Hornady 55gr FMJ in .223 lists for $46.28 or $0.93 per round

or even better:

A case of 1,000 Federal 55gr FMJ in .223 for $399 or $0.40 per round!

So IMO it is still preferable to stick with FMJ rather than fancy expensive ammo, especially if you are poor like me.

Mike70
09-Jul-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm no gun expert, but I will play Devil's Advocate here: wouldn't high fragmentation probably damage a wider area of the brain and be more likely to result in a definitive kill? I mean, living humans can sometimes survive getting clean holes punched in their frontal lobes (albeit usually with massive loss of function) so a penetrating round that pierces straight through with a minimum of cavitation (particularly from the side, where the projectile won't pass through to the cerebellum) is not guaranteed to bring down a zombie that, if we believe Professor Logan in Day, only really requires certain parts of the parietal and occipital lobes to function, and for whom simple trauma and blood loss are not issues. I'd expect (read: layman's guess) the most effective kind of ammunition would be something that would slow down and fragment upon striking the skull, with the fragments fanning out inside the cerebral mass to cause the widest area of damage. Additionally, even for non-headshots, would high cavitation not relate to more severe muscular and nervous damage if applied to, say, a target's legs or back?

nope. it is completely the opposite. the more fragmentation a bullet undergoes when hitting its target the less energy is transferred to the target and the less penetration of said target. basic physics, dude. fragmentation spreads out the force over a wider area, giving the bullet far less power than one designed to penetrate. like Sammich said, these bullets are designed to bring down small game and animals considered vermin. in the case of small game you don't want a high velocity bullet ripping through what you hoped to eat. in the case of vermin animals, they are often hunted with these types of bullets in areas where it would highly undesirable for a bullet to pass completely through the animal and winding up, oh say, penetrating the walls of a nearby house and chasing the occupants around.

that's why bullets used in sniper rifles and high power hunting rifles (for like elk or deer) have incredibly high muzzle velocities and very high penetrating power. that is how the most damage is done.

if i ever need to shoot at zombies, i'll take a 12 gauge or a rifle that fires a .30-06 bullet, thank you. i'm sure the 9mm and the .45 handguns i have would work just fine as well.

SymphonicX
11-Jul-2012, 09:52 AM
Reality check...

Zombies aren't actually real...

So having zombie ammo is kinda like pulling your leg underneath the bed covers so the slimey hand of the boogeyman doesn't grab it. Unnecessary.

Rancid Carcass
11-Jul-2012, 12:52 PM
Zombies aren't actually real...

WTF?!! Next you'll you'll be telling us Santa isn't real either... :shifty:

EvilNed
11-Jul-2012, 01:38 PM
I can't believe there's actually bullets and ammunition branded for zombie use out in stores. And people buy it.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

rgc2005
12-Jul-2012, 03:34 AM
WTF?!! Next you'll you'll be telling us Santa isn't real either... :shifty:

He was real. Lee Majors killed Santa Claus as graphically documented in "Scrooged".