PDA

View Full Version : Do people still think remakes are a good idea....

LouCipherr
12-Jun-2012, 06:33 PM
...after reading shit like this?!

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Hollywood/Ashton-Kutcher-to-star-in-Smokey-and-the-Bandit/Article1-866911.aspx (http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Hollywood/Ashton-Kutcher-to-star-in-Smokey-and-the-Bandit/Article1-866911.aspx)

Two and Half Men star Ashton Kutcher is reportedly in talks to star in a remake of Hal Needham' cult classic road movie comedy Smokey and the Bandit. The 34-year-old is said to be a huge fan of actor Burt Reynolds, who starred in the original film, and will take on the role of a bandit in the movie, reported Access Hollywood.

"Ashton is a huge fan of Burt Reynolds and the original Smokey and the Bandit. He's seriously considering bringing the character and the story up to date with him as the Bandit but with Burt involved in some way," a source said.

Please...
KILL ME NOW

Mike70
12-Jun-2012, 06:38 PM
...after reading shit like this?!

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Hollywood/Ashton-Kutcher-to-star-in-Smokey-and-the-Bandit/Article1-866911.aspx (http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Hollywood/Ashton-Kutcher-to-star-in-Smokey-and-the-Bandit/Article1-866911.aspx)

Two and Half Men star Ashton Kutcher is reportedly in talks to star in a remake of Hal Needham' cult classic road movie comedy Smokey and the Bandit. The 34-year-old is said to be a huge fan of actor Burt Reynolds, who starred in the original film, and will take on the role of a bandit in the movie, reported Access Hollywood.

"Ashton is a huge fan of Burt Reynolds and the original Smokey and the Bandit. He's seriously considering bringing the character and the story up to date with him as the Bandit but with Burt involved in some way," a source said.

Please...
KILL ME NOW

to quote sheriff buford t. justice - "what in da' hell is tha world comin' to?"

EvilNed
12-Jun-2012, 06:59 PM
To be honest, this is one remake I really don't care about.

Sammich
12-Jun-2012, 08:38 PM
Jackie Gleason was the only reason to watch those movies. The wannabe truckers and cb craze was what created the popularity of those movies and there is no interest in that stuff anymore. I hope Kutcher blows $150+ million on a box office bomb and then is forced back into obscurity.

Danny
12-Jun-2012, 08:53 PM
better question: is it a surprise and why does it rustle your jimmies when it doesnt change the original film at all and will only get more people to seek it out?

rongravy
12-Jun-2012, 09:10 PM
They can make it, but I won't be seeing it. Here's to hoping it bombs.
Jerry Reed like a mofo.

Sammich
12-Jun-2012, 09:26 PM
better question: is it a surprise and why does it rustle your jimmies when it doesnt change the original film at all and will only get more people to seek it out?

The only audience that something like this is trying to cater to is the fans of the original movies and it will fail miserably. How many 20 somethings now days even know what a CB radio is, bubblegum machine, rubber duck, or most importantly what a smokey is? Do you seriously think in this era of the internet, cell phones, and cyberspace that kids will all of a sudden say "gee, I want to be a long haul trucker!"?

rongravy
12-Jun-2012, 09:43 PM
How many 20 somethings now days even know what a CB radio is, bubblegum machine, rubber duck, or most importantly what a smokey is?
Or the difference between taking a 10-100 and a 10-200. :elol:

MoonSylver
12-Jun-2012, 09:59 PM
This is comedy gold. I laughed out loud when I read it. The resulting movie? Eh, couldn't care less. :|

bassman
12-Jun-2012, 10:05 PM
Do people still think remakes are a good idea? Obviously they do. The remakes continue to make money.

As i've always said, remakes have nothing to do with the original. It will always be there and 99% of the time it's obviously the better film. Bitching about remakes doesn't change a thing.

Sammich
12-Jun-2012, 10:18 PM
Do people still think remakes are a good idea? Obviously they do. The remakes continue to make money.

Remakes Failed Hard at the Box Office in 2011 (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/opinions/remakes-failed-hard-at-the-box-office-in-2011.php)

So it may come as pleasant news for some to see that remakes, regardless of their quality of genre, failed spectacularly at the box office this year. It’s the kind of thing that may just deter producers from trying to trade on name recognition alone and either give up the ghost on remakes or focus a bit more on creating good entertainment from stories that have already been told. Here’s how the numbers break down:

Movie (Budget not including advertising) – Total Worldwide Gross

Source: Box Office Mojo

Arthur ($40m) – $45.7m

Conan the Barbarian ($90m) – $48.7

Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark ($25m) – $31.5m

Footloose ($24m) – $62.5m

Fright Night ($30m) – $37m

The Mechanic ($40m) – $50m

Straw Dogs ($25m) – $10.3m

bassman
12-Jun-2012, 10:23 PM
Well....I didn't check the box office reports for the previous year, but they used to make good money, anyway....

Sammich
12-Jun-2012, 10:37 PM
Well....I didn't check the box office reports for the previous year, but they used to make good money, anyway....

The public has probably reached remake overload. With ticket prices and the economy today, I sure wouldn't want to shell out hard earned cash to see a movie I already saw 10+ years ago, even if it was in 3d and had super duper slow motion special effects action scenes.

LouCipherr
13-Jun-2012, 02:09 PM
As i've always said, remakes have nothing to do with the original. It will always be there and 99% of the time it's obviously the better film. Bitching about remakes doesn't change a thing.

No, it doesn't change the original, but it makes me feel better :lol: and hopefully the more people that bitch about this kinda shit (and don't go to see them), the less of this garbage we're force-fed.

Are you ready for the 2017 remake of Avatar? or perhaps a 2015 "reimagining" of The Avengers? That's where this is headed if it continues. I mean, we already have a Spiderman "reimagining" coming out 10 years after the first Burton one, and only 6 years after the last sequel. Is that REALLY necessary, regardless of how bad Burton's versions were?

Nope.

Remakes Failed Hard at the Box Office in 2011 (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/opinions/remakes-failed-hard-at-the-box-office-in-2011.php)

:lol: :lol:

So much for remakes being "guaranteed money" - suck it, Hollywood! :D

slickwilly13
13-Jun-2012, 03:32 PM
Sam Rami did the Spiderman films. I do not think Burton was involved. Maybe if he was the director, then we may have had a better trilogy.

krisvds
13-Jun-2012, 03:47 PM
Yep. I believe Burton was working on a Superman film at one time though. It never saw the light of day. Pity, I like his Batman films.

LouCipherr
13-Jun-2012, 03:52 PM
Sam Rami did the Spiderman films. I do not think Burton was involved. Maybe if he was the director, then we may have had a better trilogy.

Oops. I had a picture of Raimi in my head, but I typed Burton for some reason. No idea where the hell that came from. :lol:

*smacks self on forehead*

shootemindehead
13-Jun-2012, 05:06 PM
Did people ever really think that remakes were a good idea?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few that were actually good. 'The Maltese Falcon', 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 'The Hills Have Eyes', 'Insomnia' 'A Fistfull of Dollars', 'The Magnificent Seven', 'The Fly' and I prefer the 70's 'All Quiet on the Western Front' to the 1930's original.

AcesandEights
13-Jun-2012, 05:30 PM
I prefer the 70's 'All Quiet on the Western Front' to the 1930's original.

There's a 70s remake?! Maybe I've seen it and already forgotten, but that doesn't seem likely.

Damn...

-- -------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

NVM, it's the version starring Johnboy. No wonder I never gave it a chance.

MinionZombie
13-Jun-2012, 05:58 PM
The trouble with remakes - particularly the shitty ones - is that they often cater to the lowest common denominator, the cretins, the trolls, the morons, the popcorn fuckers, the douchenozzles, and so forth of society. The original movie doesn't change, but it's legacy is still affected as part of that legacy includes a remake - and part of the problem are people who didn't know there was an original movie, and then go on to slam the original (which is the superior film 99.9% of the time, bar a few instances of equal standers), and help to generally keep alive a segment of the cinema-going audience who are morons, who the studios insist on catering to.

Another problem is that many remakes are ill-considered, or are made by people who don't know what they're on about. Yawn04 for instance, or The Thing 2011 as a very recent example of a flick made by people who don't know enough (the entire modus operandi of the creature was completely ignored - it was turned into a CGI brute that made as much noise and garnered as much attention as possible - totally unlike in JC's superior chiller).

However, there are some good remakes ... some that spring to mind are:

The Hills Have Eyes - the original was decent, but not great, and the third act of Aja's remake is superior to that of Craven's flick.
The Toolbox Murders - the original has a great sleazy first 30/40 minutes, and then it dives right off a cliff to become the most boring and nonsensical load of all bollocks you've ever seen. Tobe Hooper's remake brought some plot consistency to things, and explored slightly different territory to make a better all-round flick - improving on a defective original.
The Crazies - an 'equal stander' in my view to Romero's original. Hated the idea initially, then saw it and really enjoyed it. Each version does things better and worse than their respective sibling ... so it was a worthwhile remake.

Which brings me to the key thing you need with a remake - for the original film to have been in need of something more. I keep saying it, but shit movies that didn't work the first time around should be remade. Drive-In Massacre is a fetid load of exploitation knock-off junk, but you could easily make a spiffing low budget throw-back slasher with that title that treads only some similar ground (i.e. the good parts, and none of the terrible portions of the original flick, which was a very sloppy affair indeed).

The trouble for studios is though, that those sorts of movies don't have a name to them, and horror fans particularly are gluttons for punishment (so we are force-fed horse shit like the remakes of The Fog, or A Nightmare On Elm Street, which were just abominable remakes of superbly crafted originals). I'm guilty of the curiosity that feeds this remake machine myself, and even decent remakes (e.g. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) have their faults and never beat the original flick - never.

We're perhaps moving away from "remakes" - everything's practically been remade - now we have "reboots", some of which are very successful and very wisely put together (e.g. Nolan's Batman flicks) - but others are termed "reboots" because the filmmakers know that they're making a remake, and remakes get such a deservedly bad rep these days. It's rare to get a decent remake, and common to get utter shite.

Now, specifically on Smokey & The Bandit ... ... I've never seen it, but I want to. I have seen Cannonball Run (it was decent, but not amazing), so yeah, there we are.

shootemindehead
13-Jun-2012, 06:56 PM
There's a 70s remake?! Maybe I've seen it and already forgotten, but that doesn't seem likely.

Damn...

-- -------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

NVM, it's the version starring Johnboy. No wonder I never gave it a chance.

Give it a go, it may surprise you. It's got Ernest Borgnine and Ian Holm too.

Unfortunately, the original has dated terribly. It's still a classic and daring for its time, but it suffers from the usual cinematic traps of the period.

-- -------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

The Thing 2011 as a very recent example of a flick made by people who don't know enough (the entire modus operandi of the creature was completely ignored - it was turned into a CGI brute that made as much noise and garnered as much attention as possible - totally unlike in JC's superior chiller).

I don't loath the 2011 'The Thing', like you. My take on the more "brash" thing is that it had never met humans before and didn't know how to handle them. We also don't know the "modus operandi" of the creature in either film. It's obviously an inteligent creature, but never makes an effort at communication. Perhaps it simply doesn't understand why the humans are resisting. It's also rather brash and reckless at the start of John Carpenter's version too. It makes a hell of a noise trying to absorb the huskies. But, I suppose it was rumbled cos the dogs copped on that all wasn't well.

While it isn't a patch on the 1982 version, it isn't the dog that some people claim it is. (if you pardon the pun)

The Crazies - an 'equal stander' in my view to Romero's original. Hated the idea initially, then saw it and really enjoyed it. Each version does things better and worse than their respective sibling ... so it was a worthwhile remake.

'The Crazies' is a good call. I actually prefer this much more than the clunky Romero one, which I've never been a fan of anyway. I had no hope for the remake at all either, but was humbled when I eventually saw it.

LouCipherr
13-Jun-2012, 07:29 PM
The original movie doesn't change, but it's legacy is still affected as part of that legacy includes a remake - and part of the problem are people who didn't know there was an original movie, and then go on to slam the original (which is the superior film 99.9% of the time, bar a few instances of equal standers), and help to generally keep alive a segment of the cinema-going audience who are morons, who the studios insist on catering to.

MZ, you are DEAD ON with that observation. I could not have said it better (or even close to as well). :thumbsup:

Now, specifically on Smokey & The Bandit ... ... I've never seen it, but I want to.

....aaaaand you're right back on my shit list! :lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k MZ, but you MUST pick up the original Smokey & The Bandit - it's worth the watch. :D

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2012, 09:38 AM
I've missed Smokey and the Bandit a couple of times on TV, but usually it's been on the afternoon on ITV or something, and I assume it'd be cut ... so I'd rather catch it on Sky Movies (uncut), but I'll keep an eye out for it.

As for The Thing 2011, it's not that smart, because it uses the same 'romper stomper' attitude through the whole flick, and I'd say that just because it hasn't encountered man before, doesn't mean it hasn't encountered other (possibly even smarter) lifeforms before. So I'd say that stealth should always be in the creature's DNA, but at the very least, stealth is in the DNA of the JC flick straight off the bat. To me it shows a lack of skill at scaring the audience from the filmmakers. They dumb down the scares with loud noises and lots of CGI, rather than the genuine persistent chills of JC's flick, which still creeps me out to this day - even talking about it gives me a shiver that runs up my spine. So many remakes end up getting helmed by dopes, but occasionally you get a decent one (the aforementioned The Crazies 2010, or The Hills Have Eyes 2006 ... although those movies do have their share of 'boo scares', they also opt for horrific scenes and brutalism to bring some chills).

AcesandEights
14-Jun-2012, 01:16 PM
Honestly, I could never be bothered to sit all the way through Smokey & The Bandit, and it was on a lot when I was growing up. Never held my interest or was anything I thought I'd enjoy.

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2012, 02:38 PM
Honestly, I could never be bothered to sit all the way through Smokey & The Bandit

BLASPHEMY!!

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0037/9162/products/OFFWITHHISHEAD-FULL_medium.jpeg?222208

:lol:

shootemindehead
14-Jun-2012, 03:02 PM
...As for The Thing 2011, it's not that smart, because it uses the same 'romper stomper' attitude through the whole flick, and I'd say that just because it hasn't encountered man before, doesn't mean it hasn't encountered other (possibly even smarter) lifeforms before. So I'd say that stealth should always be in the creature's DNA, but at the very least, stealth is in the DNA of the JC flick straight off the bat.

No, it isn't as smart as the 1982 version, however, if one is going to damn the creature for being less stealthy and secretive in 2011, then surely the fact that it never once tries to communicate with the humans has to be held against it too.

To me it shows a lack of skill at scaring the audience from the filmmakers. They dumb down the scares with loud noises and lots of CGI, rather than the genuine persistent chills of JC's flick, which still creeps me out to this day - even talking about it gives me a shiver that runs up my spine. So many remakes end up getting helmed by dopes, but occasionally you get a decent one (the aforementioned The Crazies 2010, or The Hills Have Eyes 2006 ... although those movies do have their share of 'boo scares', they also opt for horrific scenes and brutalism to bring some chills).

I don't know where the fault lies for the script. Was it the writers? Or studio interference? Did Universal insist on more BANG! with understanding that Carpenter's film flopped spectacularly at the box office due to the lack of umph. Or perceived lack of umph. I've heard that the effects were "CGI'd up" on the whim of the studio and that the work on the physical was sacrificed to the virtual. I also suspect that the studio had a hand in pushing not one, but two dollybirds into the script, where in reality females were very few and very far between in Antarctica in the early 80's.

As it stands though, I don't really mind it. In fact, I've just bought the two of them on Blu-Ray.