PDA

View Full Version : end all be all for "making a zombie proof" house

acealive1
17-Jun-2012, 01:29 AM
when in doubt....find a brick building...like a 4 unit apartment complex which is perfect, got brick and mortar? brick up the windows on the lower floor and the basement if there is one...and upstairs is clear obviously so u can pick em off. brick pretty much lasts forever especially against stiffs who cant climb it. need another layer of safety? weather proof the bricks....it makes them slippery.

bang! :thumbsup:

bassman
17-Jun-2012, 01:34 AM
That might be okay for zombies, but won't stop any living intruders.

acealive1
17-Jun-2012, 02:22 AM
lol well i did say zombies...and wouldnt it be kinda hard to see who was on the second floor? its like goin in blind

bassman
17-Jun-2012, 04:33 AM
When the world goes to sh*t, even with zombies, other survivors are your worst enemy. Closing up doors and windows may help against the dead, but eventually others are going to come around looking for supplies. The first thing they would do is knock out the bricks that you thought would protect you and then you're screwed.

As Romero's Dawn has shown us, protecting against the dead should not be the only concern....

MinionZombie
17-Jun-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm gonna be a Grammar Nazi and say that it's "the be all and end all", not t'other way around. :sneaky::p:shifty:

Good against zombies specifically though. You could have, if you had the resources, medieval style large wooden pikes buried into the ground that jut out at an angle ... perhaps face-height ... :elol: ... imagine that. :evil::D

Cutting off all downstairs access to the building would definitely be key though in helping defend against human intruders - who would be really put off by an island with a draw bridge type situation, with mines in the surrounding moat, that's also defended by a fence with various sharp and pointy obstacles on the 'shore' surrounding your island compound before you even get to the fence. You'd have to have some kind of retractable ladder or bridge or something that you could not only raise, but completely retract into the compound and lock behind closed doors.

Speaking much more modestly though, I've always wondered why when boarding up doors (in order to keep them shut) they don't place a couple of planks at the very base of the door and screw them into the floorboards. Then screw a board in up at the top of the door (and doorframe), and then one across the middle ... anything less than persistent use of a battering ram and you'd be sorted on the back-door-to-the-house front. Windows are another issue, though...

Christopher Jon
17-Jun-2012, 03:29 PM
Too much work.

I could simply use a refrigerator ( or two, stacked ) to block the stairs leading up to the second floor of my apartment building. Unless they are running, jumping ninja zombies, I think I'll be fine. This shit doesn't need to be complicated. The people problem, I'll use harsh language to scare them off. :)

acealive1
17-Jun-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm gonna be a Grammar Nazi and say that it's "the be all and end all", not t'other way around. :sneaky::p:shifty:

hey i knew it was one of those way to say it LOL

-- -------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Too much work.

I could simply use a refrigerator ( or two, stacked ) to block the stairs leading up to the second floor of my apartment building. Unless they are running, jumping ninja zombies, I think I'll be fine. This shit doesn't need to be complicated. The people problem, I'll use harsh language to scare them off. :)

harsh language? aliens fan? lol idk kinda like in dawn....they had MONTHS to secure those doors and if they made it look like there was no entrance, the bikers woulda never gotten in. brick....something....a wall over each entrance or better yet get rid of the doors and make a wall. they had the supplies

Christopher Jon
18-Jun-2012, 01:31 AM
hey i knew it was one of those way to say it LOL

-- -------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

harsh language? aliens fan? lol idk kinda like in dawn....they had MONTHS to secure those doors and if they made it look like there was no entrance, the bikers woulda never gotten in. brick....something....a wall over each entrance or better yet get rid of the doors and make a wall. they had the supplies

The flaw of DOTD was they were in a mall, a high profile target for looters. When shit happens, what does everybody do? They loot Wal-Mart etc... It was inevitable that eventually somebody would come sniffing around, be it a zombie apocalypse or the aftermath of a natural disaster. There really was no way the four of them could have defended that location no matter how much effort they put into it.

Brick? I'm not sure where you think they would have gotten the brick n' mortar to do that large of a job. That's not something you'll find lying around in large quantities at a mall. What you're suggesting is pretty big construction job. Limited building supplies and 4 people who probably have no construction experience aren't going to accomplish much. Realistically, they would have had a limited supply of sheet wood and drywall, which is what they used to block the hallway leading to their hideout but it's very unlikely that they would have had enough to block multiple 20x20 mall entrances. You also have to take into consideration the numerous dock doors and individual business entrances. Walk around a typical mall and I'll bet you count at least 100 individual entrances.

When you stick to reality, shit isn't as easy as it sounds. :)

kidgloves
18-Jun-2012, 09:55 AM
How about this in Tennessee?

http://collateraldamage.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/saucer.jpg

AcesandEights
18-Jun-2012, 05:54 PM
"I got the perfect idear for a zombie proof bed!"

http://www.hanlonconcrete.ie/images/Readymix-Pouring.jpg
Just hop in and curl up forever. :p

Rumsfeld
26-Jun-2012, 04:44 PM
I also am planning to build a new house. I'm making it fairy-resistance.

Mike70
26-Jun-2012, 06:21 PM
That might be okay for zombies, but won't stop any living intruders.

and you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. it is the same with so-called "preppers" building their doomsday shelters. that might be all fine and good but what if like 50 people show up and they aren't just civilians? what if they are soldiers and have things like, oh say artillery with them. once they start lobbing 155mm artillery shells at your honkey paradise, it is game over for you. hell, even mortars would be bad, bad news.

once again, i'm glad i live near a giant river and can use it to easily melt into the huge forests that cover southern ohio and northern ky. y'all can fight over malls and shit. i'll be fishing and hunting deer out in the middle of nowhere. i'm also glad that in the case of some huge meltdown, i live right on the very edge of the cincinnati metro area. right outside of my house to the east is nothing but forests, creeks, and small rivers that feed into the Ohio river. i can step out of my door and be gone in a flash.