PDA

View Full Version : Falling Skies Season 2

rightwing401
20-Jun-2012, 04:56 AM
Ok, so...wow.

I really liked the first season of the show last year, despite the fact that it lagged quite a bit in some episodes. This new season, totally badass.

The best comparison that I can give for the difference between seasons is this. Season one gives off the overall post apocolyptic feel of T4. The enemy is there, they're much stronger and more advanced than the resistance, but in their own area you have a sense of safety and comfort. You don't get that at all in season two, it very much gives off the feel of T1. There's just a small ragged group of survivors scrapping by on scraps while living in constant fear of being discovered and annilated by a determined and relentless enemy.

*Spoilers below*

The second season really threw me completely off in the first five minutes about the resistance's overall situation by having the human fighters luring an entire alien assault squad into a well laid ambush where they wipe them out to the last critter without losing even one of their own. What gave the appearance of the resistance seemingly getting to the point where they're starting to bleed out the occupying alien forces bit by bit are actually desperate attempts to hold off a much larger force that has them boxed in and is slowly tightening the noose.

You find out that at this point the resistance is in a very dire situation. Quite a change from the show's opening where you have an organized resistance that is finally having to retreat from the city of Boston after several of their crappy defensive lines have been easily overrun by alien assaults. The survivors break off into roughly nine 'regiments' of 300 and scatter into the country side. In season two opening, you learn that the central comand of the resistance, along with most of the high ranking officers, has been destroyed. Of the nine regiments, at least five have been completely wiped out, and the 2nd Mas. is already reeling from having just barely escaped an alien trap that cost them nearly 2/3 of their original number.

So to cap it off, the writers have definately listened to viewers by having far more running gun battles and far less talking about personal feelings about the end of the world. And I certainly enjoyed seeing Tom Mason's second oldest son Ben's transformation from a shy, unsure of himself kid into a battle hardened soldier in the second season. (Also the only one who can go toe to toe with the skitters in close combat due to his genetic manipulation by the aliens)

Sammich
20-Jun-2012, 06:10 AM
I watched part of the first season and the first of this season but just cannot get into it. I am not sure what it is, the cast, the characters, the writing, or a combination of things but something about the show feels very awkward.