PDA

View Full Version : Whelp.....ObamaCare survives

Mr. Clean
28-Jun-2012, 07:07 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/28/supreme-court-upholds-individual-mandate-obamacare-survives/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politics/supreme-court-health-ruling/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld nearly all of President Obama's health care overhaul, in a landmark ruling that will have sweeping consequences for the economy, the election and America's health care system.
In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled as constitutional the so-called individual mandate requiring most Americans to obtain health insurance starting in 2014. - Foxnews

Disappointed....:|

I'm not surpised. The supreme court disappoints me all the time. :dead:

LouCipherr
28-Jun-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks alot, Mr. Clean. I had almost forgot about this BS today, and now you reminded me of it. :lol:

It amazes me, people complained about Bush to no end but yet seem to overlook the MASSIVE assf*cking the current POTUS and administration are giving us. I hope all those who voted for him are happy with his performance, 'cause the rest of us are not.

Oh, and nice work, Supreme Court. As Mr. Clean just said above, I guess we should be used to you disappointing us... yet again.

EvilNed
28-Jun-2012, 08:04 PM
This signals to me that America is getting ready to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

I don't see why people are upset about this. Because of the costs? Heck, I'd check the defense budget if you wanna cut costs.

Andy
28-Jun-2012, 08:30 PM
Maybe im missing something becuase im not american but whats the problem with obama's reforms exactly?

Sammich
28-Jun-2012, 09:39 PM
The problem with this is it sets the precedent for the federal government forcing citizens to enter into contracts to purchase products or services from private entities. Couple this with the "corporations are people" ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission it is a final step toward a complete fascist takeover of the U.S. government. The Supreme Court avoided the blatant Obamacare misrepresentations of the commerce clause and deemed it is a "tax". So in 2014 when you file your taxes you will have to provide proof of health insurace or you will be subject to a fine. Yes, the IRS will be enforcing this law. You might as well forget about buying anything with your tax refunds because after this takes effect all of this money will already be spent on your insurance contrary to the claims of the health insurance industry, policy premiums will skyrocket (as happened with mandated car insurance) not go down. If you don't pay for coverage the fine will probably equal or exceed that amount. The question remains: will persons violating this law be subject to felony charges by the feds? I wouldn't doubt it.

The other problem with Obamacare was the ridiculous amount of waivers given to big corporate campaign donors exempting them from having to follow the law. It is another example of corporate cronyism and violation of equal protection under the law. Once again big business gets a pass and the average Joe gets stuck with the tab.

“The insurance mandate clearly exceeds the federal government’s powers under the interstate commerce clause found in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution,” writes Ron Paul. “This is patently obvious: the power to ‘regulate’ commerce cannot include the power to compel commerce! Those who claim otherwise simply ignore the plain meaning of the Constitution because they don’t want to limit federal power in any way.”

Before anyone goes off and blames the democrats or republicans, BOTH PARTIES ARE TO BLAME. John Roberts who cast the swing vote, WAS A BUSH APPOINTEE. The political party labels haven't meant anything for a long time, except for the politically ignorant who get played every election. Personal profit has completely replaced Constitutional principle.

Andy
01-Jul-2012, 01:07 PM
Surely thats no different than compulsory car insurance?

Also dosnt it work out cheaper for you to have insurance than it would if you required surgery and you didnt.

Danny
01-Jul-2012, 01:32 PM
tl:dr if you grew up with the NHS "it means free care for everyone, but worse care for me"

Andy
01-Jul-2012, 01:58 PM
Well the NHS isnt free by any means, unless your a benefits scrounger.. its a more complicated version of whats happening in america now only instead of compulsory health insurance its funding is wrapped up into the tax system and its actually the largest single expense coming out of the tax system, costing us more than the MoD does.

To be honest id rather have the american system, the NHS is alot more complicated and i bet if you looked at them side by side, a hell of alot more expensive per citizen.

Christopher Jon
01-Jul-2012, 03:24 PM
Surely thats no different than compulsory car insurance?
Not really. Nobody is forced to buy a car. It's a choice. And if a person chooses to purchase a car, car insurance is required.

I'm actually in favor of a single payer system for basic health care and allowing individuals to upgrade to private insurance if they choose. The problem with Obamacare, and government programs in general is they are bloated, waste money and don't provide a great product.

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2012, 01:53 PM
Before anyone goes off and blames the democrats or republicans, BOTH PARTIES ARE TO BLAME. John Roberts who cast the swing vote, WAS A BUSH APPOINTEE. The political party labels haven't meant anything for a long time, except for the politically ignorant who get played every election.

Thank you, Sammich, for pointing this out. I have several ignorant friends who blame one party or the other constantly, as if their party isn't to blame. BOTH parties are to blame for this fiasco and just about every other problem we have in our government and country right now.

"...politically ignorant who get played every election" indeed!

By the way, one thing to note: this is not "Health CARE reform" as the Obama administration would lead you to believe. This is "health INSURANCE reform" - BIG freakin' difference.

Keep an eye on your current prescription costs. Watch as they double - if not more - once this crap goes into play. The insurance and drug manufacturers are LOVING this.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Obama-Burning-the-Constituton.jpg

SymphonicX
06-Jul-2012, 08:48 AM
In a very very quick nutshell - I have to say it does seem that on the outside, the only reason why you're being forced to purchase mandatory healthcare is because you've got such an inflexible system to begin with.

If you maybe didn't have a system run privately by enterprise-focussed individuals, who regularly choose profit over human life, well - you might not be where you are.

It's the kids born into poor families I feel sorry for.

Mike70
06-Jul-2012, 05:25 PM
Keep an eye on your current prescription costs. Watch as they double - if not more - once this crap goes into play. The insurance and drug manufacturers are LOVING this.

i'm glad i'll never really have to. since the VA has turned itself into a first class healthcare system, i'll never go anywhere again. since i'm what's called "service connected", it is on the house for me for the rest of my life. yeah, i had to wait awhile for my hernia operation but i think that folks that need heart surgery or back surgery because they are either in danger of dying or are in agonizing pain are a bit more of a priority than having a hernia.

please keep any asinine anecdotal stories about the VA to yourself. people who accept anecdotes as "evidence" of large trends are complete jackasses and nothing less. i'm there quite a bit and i volunteer there a few hours a week. i know what the VA is all about. not everybody has a great experience but you could say that about almost anything.

if anything is going to bankrupt america it is the long term cost of caring for the vets of afghanistan and that idiotic adventure in iraq. do you know how many people lost limbs, suffered serious head injuries, or are going to need years of psychiatric care? i really don't think i want to know the exact number. but consider this: about 35% of people exposed to combat experiences will need psychiatric care of some kind.