PDA

View Full Version : HBO asks for more 'Eastbound and Down'

CoinReturn
03-Jul-2012, 01:44 AM
While I thought things wrapped up nicely at the end of season 3, I'll definitely take more Kenny Fuckin' Powers:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056210

HBO is going back to the ballpark with "Eastbound & Down," picking up the comedy series for a fourth season.

Pay cabler confirmed that Danny McBride-starrer, which recently concluded its third season in April, will go forward with eight episodes.

McBride exec produces with Will Ferrell, Chris Henchy, Adam McKay of Gary Sanchez Prods., along with Jody Hill.

Show premiered its third season on Feb. 19 to 1.3 million viewers, with horseracing drama "Luck" as a lead-in, and was paired with "Life's Too Short." The season closed out on April 12 to 1.1 million viewers.

The past season featured McBride's politically incorrect character Kenny Powers -- a former Major League Baseball pitcher -- living in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and coping with a newborn baby as a single parent.

Show also stars Steve Little, Elizabeth De Razzo and Katy Mixon. Last season's guests included Jason Sudeikis and Matthew McConaughey. Ferrell also occasionally appears.

HBO recently renewed two others laffers: Lena Dunham's "Girls," and "Veep," starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and also gave new-season orders on Monday for dramas "The Newsroom" and "True Blood."

Mike70
03-Jul-2012, 04:06 PM
negative on this. the old saying "too much of a good thing..." comes to mind. the first season was great and one of the few american comedies that i actually found funny. probably because i'm a baseball geek and the whole first season was like a gigantic rip on john rocker. after that, it seemed to get more self-indulgent as it went along. just leave it as it is.

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm one of those "completist" viewers, so even if I'm thoroughly fed up with a show (e.g. Nip/Tuck), I'll be compelled nonetheless to keep watching the damn thing (I know that sounds silly, but it's weird ... it's the obsessive compulsive completionist in me, I guess). I watched the first season of EB&D and thought it was decent, but not amazing, and then the second season was similarly-so, and then the third season felt a bit iffy - although I did rather enjoy that he had a sidekick in the form of Jason Sudekis' equally arrogant baseball player - but then it just felt like it was going around in circles a bit, and then the ending was good, which I thought was a good way to close things ... but a fourth season? Too much, methinks ... plus I always get frustrated with the show because Kenny Powers never seems to learn anything for a lasting time, and he's such a massive twat that it's hard to enjoy the schtick - it worked well with Sudekis' character, oddly enough, by doubling the tosser-ness but having them bounce of each other ... in a way showing each of them up ... ... I kind of feel, too, that Powers is a one-note character really. Three seasons is plenty, I'd rather have more Bored To Death (even though season three didn't match the awesomeness of season two), however that's been cancelled (the viewing figures for season three were shockingly low).

Mike70
03-Jul-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm one of those "completist" viewers, so even if I'm thoroughly fed up with a show (e.g. Nip/Tuck), I'll be compelled nonetheless to keep watching the damn thing (I know that sounds silly, but it's weird ... it's the obsessive compulsive completionist in me, I guess).

i'm totally the opposite. i don't go in for many tv shows anymore and when i do, i rarely watch it beyond the first or second season. most tv shows become incredibly formulaic (to me at least) and boring after the initial season and a half.

Sammich
03-Jul-2012, 07:48 PM
Does this mean that HBO is going to dump Game of Thrones and make a bunch of cheap shows instead?

Tricky
03-Jul-2012, 10:16 PM
Does this mean that HBO is going to dump Game of Thrones and make a bunch of cheap shows instead?

Don't frighten me with such words! They HAVE to follow Game of Thrones through to the end! :eek:

AcesandEights
03-Jul-2012, 11:15 PM

The possibility that HBO might give GoT the 'Rome Treatment' has always existed. :(

Sammich
03-Jul-2012, 11:54 PM
Each episode of GOT costs around $6 mill and True Blood about $3 mill. VEEP, Girls and Newsroom budgets are likely much less as all that is in those shows are stories about emos and hipsters. The casts and crews can be paid mostly with starbucks, fake designer glasses and therapy sessions.

Who knows what the MBA weenies will do to GOT after season 3.

rongravy
05-Jul-2012, 01:10 AM
Yay for more Kenny fucking Powers!!!