PDA

View Full Version : Independence Day sequel (film)

Neil
10-Jul-2012, 08:50 AM
Could be on the way...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/independence-day-2-dean-devlin-stargate-leverage-346511

It took 16 years, but Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich finally are set to bring their beloved and patriotic Independence Day back to the big screen.

"I can tell you that Roland and I have been working together for the first time in 11 years and we’re every excited about the idea of doing it," Devlin said during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "Whether or not we can make this happen, if we can get all the pieces to come together, that’s gonna be challenging. But creatively, for the very first time since we did the original, I feel we have a worthy concept, a worthy path to go."

bassman
10-Jul-2012, 12:06 PM
"Welcome to Earf!"

shootemindehead
10-Jul-2012, 01:58 PM
Ugh. No thanks, the first one was wretched.

Neil
10-Jul-2012, 03:08 PM

Wouldn't exactly say wretched - It was a total pop corn flick, but had some entertaining moments...

Cykotic
10-Jul-2012, 04:07 PM
The first film was a total, no brain, popcorn flick that I loved as a kid... but a sequel? really?

Plus, Will Smith said in an interview a while ago that he doesn't wanna do sequels to his work

"Speaking to Radio 1's Chris Moyles, the 43-year-old actor revealed producers are working on I Am Legend II but that he was unlikely to take part.

When asked if he would be involved, Smith said: "Probably not.

"Producers are working on it. I'm not actually working on it.

"If it's great, I'm into it. I don't want to be the sequel guy. I figure I've got about six or seven more years."

Bit late for that will, you already are!

Neil
10-Jul-2012, 04:21 PM
Plus, Will Smith said in an interview a while ago that he doesn't wanna do sequels to his work
Ummm.. Isn't I Am Legend potentially getting a sequel? And Smith's keen to do one for Hancock too if I recall?

JDFP
10-Jul-2012, 04:59 PM
It better have Jeff Goldblum in it is all I have to say. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Every film would benefit with the added addition of Jeff Goldblum in it (he's like zombies, the addition of him to any film instantly makes it better).

Seriously though, I think "ID4" is an absolutely entertaining ride. It's like the most recent "Battleship!" I highly enjoyed as well. It's just a turn your brain off type of thrill-ride. I'd definitely look forward to a sequel as Roland Emmerich does "blowing shit up" even better than Michael Bay (and his characters are far more interesting, for the most part, as opposed to Bay's travesties of film-making).

And who can possibly top Kevin Kline as the president in giving one of the most epic presidential speeches in the history of film?

j.p.

LouCipherr
10-Jul-2012, 06:46 PM
"Welcome to Earf!"

:lol:

I wonder if Will Smith is going to punch-out another alien in part 2? :D

It better have Jeff Goldblum in it is all I have to say. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Every film would benefit with the added addition of Jeff Goldblum in it (he's like zombies, the addition of him to any film instantly makes it better).

THIS!!

Jeff Goldblum is freakin' awesome.

Rottedfreak
10-Jul-2012, 07:22 PM
Independence Day 2
The aliens trash trailer parks and whatever is left of the cities from the original invasion.

rongravy
10-Jul-2012, 10:22 PM
I say scrap this and make a wayyyyyy more faithful version of Battlefield Earth.
I'd even compromise by allowing Jeff Goldblum to be in it.
Cameo only, of course...

Sammich
10-Jul-2012, 11:41 PM
Toby Macguire and Jeff Goldbloom give me the creeps.

Neil
11-Jul-2012, 08:14 AM
I say scrap this and make a wayyyyyy more faithful version of Battlefield Earth.
I'd even compromise by allowing Jeff Goldblum to be in it.
Cameo only, of course...

Would it involve Goldblum maniacally laughing for several minutes non-stop...

God that film was bizarre!

krakenslayer
11-Jul-2012, 09:55 AM
I loved the first film when I was 12, but I can't watch it now. It's garbage.

If they do this, they need to take a whole different tack with it. A re-tread of the first film just wouldn't work. Set it decades years later, when mankind has cannibalized the alien tech and is exploring outer space in starships, and it turns out the mothership and vast fleet from the original movie was just a single small-scale private enterprise, a tiny splinter group, and now the whole might of the alien empire is moving in to remove this dangerous wild species from the galaxy. Or set it in the devastated ruins of the cities just after the first film, where grotesque parasites and alien diseases from the downed warships are infesting the survivors. I might even go to see that.

Or re-release the first film with a new ending in which it turns out the invasion was just a big cruel prank played by the rest of the world on America using holograms and nukes, to get them all pumped-up and self-congratulatory and flag-waving and then boom... TROLOLOL!

Publius
12-Jul-2012, 02:13 AM
Maybe this time the aliens will use Linux instead of MacOS.

krisvds
12-Jul-2012, 05:24 AM
And who can possibly top Kevin Kline as the president in giving one of the most epic presidential speeches in the history of film?

j.p.

Bill Pullman?

though nothing beats this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

Mike70
12-Jul-2012, 04:15 PM

i'll second that. they are also about 14 or 15 years too late. a sequel might have made mild sense in 1997 or 98. this film did come out in 1996 for fook's sake.

it had zero entertaining moments in it. it starred will smith, so it cannot have possibly been even mildly entertaining, which it wasn't. formulaic? yes. popcornish? yes. exhibiting the scientfic knowledge of a 3 month old? yes. entertaining didn't enter into it.

-- -------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I loved the first film when I was 12, but I can't watch it now. It's garbage.

ha! this movie has become part your generations "land of the lost" syndrome. something you thought was "boss", "bad", "rad" or "bitchin'" as kid is exposed as the pile of shit it is when viewed in the light of adulthood.

though if there is any solace Scooby cartoons and the antics of Tom and Jerry never get old.

Neil
27-Mar-2013, 10:12 AM
Little bit more news - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Roland-Emmerich-Reveals-Story-Details-Independence-Day-Sequels-36613.html

According to Emmerich, who wrote the first draft of the script before handing it off to screenwriter James Vanderbilt (who worked with the director on the upcoming White House thriller), the story for the new film will be set 20 years after the events of the first film and center on a distress call that the aliens sent back to their home planet during the initial invasion of Earth.

"The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back," Emmerich said. "And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years."

wayzim
27-Mar-2013, 01:06 PM
Little bit more news - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Roland-Emmerich-Reveals-Story-Details-Independence-Day-Sequels-36613.html

I'm only sad that Stargate never became the film franchise Roland & Emmerich were hoping for, because it had been highjacked by the studio to make a so-so Tv series ( no offense to the rabid fans )

Independence Day ( which I liked as a popcorn movie - just to see things blow up real good ) never seemed to have that potential.

Wayne Z

"Hello, Boys. I'm baaack. "

Neil
26-Jun-2013, 09:32 AM
Jeff Goldblum And Bill Pullman to return, but probably no Smith? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jeff-Goldblum-Bill-Pullman-Independence-Day-Sequel-38222.html

rongravy
27-Jun-2013, 02:27 AM
Smith probably bowed out because they wouldn't put his son in the movie, too...
(Kidding.)
Also:
nqAMudS-QCU

Staredge
27-Jun-2013, 02:58 AM
"Speaking to Radio 1's Chris Moyles, the 43-year-old actor revealed producers are working on I Am Legend II but that he was unlikely to take part.

When asked if he would be involved, Smith said: "Probably not.

"Producers are working on it. I'm not actually working on it.

"If it's great, I'm into it. I don't want to be the sequel guy. I figure I've got about six or seven more years."

Uhhh.....didn't he die at the end????

Ahh.....found the answer. http://screenrant.com/i-am-legend-2-will-smith-sandy-155576/

Neil
13-Nov-2013, 07:44 AM
July 1st 2016 - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65074

Neil
27-Nov-2014, 11:44 AM
Sounds like it's going to happen - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Independence-Day-2-Happening-Here-Details-68417.html

Legion2213
27-Nov-2014, 09:13 PM
ID4 - Cleaning up the polluted, devastated Earth.

Those wrecked ships would give even a climate change denier the heebie jeebies with all the potential toxic crap they must have unleashed when they came down...not to mention the nukes that were used against them.

- - - Updated - - -

Erm, what?

The aliens were scavenging nomads who stripped planets of their resources weren't they? (which makes no sense anyway, as they could do the same with asteroids and most other planets)

rongravy
28-Nov-2014, 02:03 AM
I was going to whine about how that article was from back in March, then I did some further investigation. I saw on wiki that it was greenlit yesterday.
My personal good news is no Smith. He'd probably try to make them throw his kid in the mix, as well, for a few dozen million or so...
I did like the original, and was wowed by stuff unseen before. The destruction was pretty sweeet, and I saw it in a huge theater with seriously kickass sound. Nice.
Anyhoo, 2016. Hmmmmm. I'm down.

bassman
28-Nov-2014, 02:07 PM
The original is definitely one of those lightening in a bottle events. Not that it was a fantastic film, just that it came along at the right time, had an up-and-coming star in the lead, the effects were amazing, and many of its high points can be credited to the time frame of when it was released. I have a hard time seeing them replicating anything similar twenty years later.