View Full Version : Zombie Guts / Grind Pulp / Trailer / Going Free

Andrew Crevier
14-Jul-2012, 10:39 PM
Next Thursday Zombie Guts (novelette) is going free on amazon - you can also download the kindle app for frreee. Thought I'd drop a dime to folks on a site I've been lurking for years. The story is comedic grind-pulp. I wasn't going for anything deep - or to reinvent the zombie. Purple Crack is the noted as the cause of the outbreak. Check the trailer out.

Please give feedback on this mash-up I put together. The music is from the electronic artist Umberto - get his music on bandcamp (great 70's Italian horror vibe)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87204006/Purple%20Crack.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_in0UOQmw)

babomb
15-Jul-2012, 03:20 AM
Purple meth or coke may have been a better choice. Since the act of incinerating the crack in order to smoke it would kill any sort of biological agent. They have to heat the coke to make it into crack also. So the bio-agent would have to be something capable of withstanding extreme heat during processing, and then even more extreme heat when it's smoked. It just seems more plausible that a substance you snort would be more likely to pass on a bio agent, rather than something that's sterilized by heat 2 times before it gets into the body.

krakenslayer
15-Jul-2012, 11:19 AM
Purple meth or coke may have been a better choice. Since the act of incinerating the crack in order to smoke it would kill any sort of biological agent. They have to heat the coke to make it into crack also. So the bio-agent would have to be something capable of withstanding extreme heat during processing, and then even more extreme heat when it's smoked. It just seems more plausible that a substance you snort would be more likely to pass on a bio agent, rather than something that's sterilized by heat 2 times before it gets into the body.

Good point, but I guess it doesn't have to be biological agent. Seems like ever since Resident Evil all we ever hear about zombies is virus-this and parasite-that. Maybe zombification is a direct effect of the drug itself.Remember Trioxin? Remember Herbert West's reagent? Not viruses, just chemical compounds. The only thing is, biological agents sound more superficially plausible, but in fact they are no more likely to make a dead body get up and walk than any vial of glowing green liquid, and everyone knows it. A virus does nothing more than inject its genetic material into cells, hijacking them and killing them and producing more viruses in the process. By definition, the virus is completely inert the rest of its life cycle. It can't do complex shit with nerve impulses or produce chemicals or anything like that. It destroys cells, and that's it, it cannot create anything, except more viruses. A bacterium is a more complex organism, so it has a bit more wiggle room, but it would still be almost cosmically implausible for a bacterium to do anything except make you sick. A chemical, in this case a drug, doesn't seem any more unlikely a cause of zombies, especially not in a deliberately trash pulp read.

babomb
15-Jul-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, those are good points kraken. I guess I'm just pre-disposed to searching for the plausible explanation when it comes to stuff like this. In my mind I was thinking about the warnings that the entire US cocaine supply could be contaminated with a veterinary drug that causes the human body to have an auto-immune response that actually kills the flesh. But at the same time, what you're saying resembles the whole "Bath Salt zombie" phenomenon.
Andrew, were you influenced by the Bath Salt Zombie situation?

krakenslayer
15-Jul-2012, 10:37 PM
But at the same time, what you're saying resembles the whole "Bath Salt zombie" phenomenon.
Andrew, were you influenced by the Bath Salt Zombie situation?

I actually wasn't thinking about the "bath salts" thing, bit now you mention it, it is strikingly similar.

Andrew Crevier
19-Jul-2012, 07:48 PM
I began writing the story before the bath salts shenanigans caught fire in the media. I figured I may as well latch onto that in the sales pitch though. Wild Irish Rose, crackheads, and things that go on underneath city bridges are all interesting to me. The thought of grape-flavored purple crack is just so ridiculous that I decided it would be fun to run with.

-- -------- Post added 19-Jul-2012 at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was 15-Jul-2012 at 10:16 PM ----------

I lied! The free promo for Zombie Guts begins tomorrow, Friday, July 19. Get yourself a copy and let me know what you think.