PDA

View Full Version : Red Dawn (2012) Trailer

Cykotic
10-Aug-2012, 05:54 PM
UoqlBHSePw0

what do we think

MinionZombie
10-Aug-2012, 06:41 PM
Never saw the original ... I know, I know, *evades Lou and his rolled up newspaper sweeping down towards my nose*, I know ... I totally want to see the original though, just haven't got around to it yet. I take it the original was the Russians invading, right? Well it makes sense to switch it to whoever it is in this flick ... the Chinese? The North Koreans?

Reminds me of the videogame Homefront (written by the guy who wrote the original Red Dawn, in fact) - where North Korea invade America after Kim Jong-Il dies (indeed the date in the game, and the date in real life were mere weeks apart IIRC, how's that for a coincidence?!). I'd definitely watch this on Sky Movies, even though some of it does look a smidge far-fetched (I'd imagine our Americalander chums grabbing their nearest weapon and showing the invaders their war faces in a second flat ... maybe there's more signs of wider resistance in the actual movie, than in the trailer?)

LouCipherr
10-Aug-2012, 06:45 PM
Never saw the original ... I know, I know, *evades Lou and his rolled up newspaper sweeping down towards my nose*

Well, guess what, MZ? For once, you get to swat me with the newspaper this time because I've never seen the original either! :lol: :lol: :D

MinionZombie
10-Aug-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, guess what, MZ? For once, you get to swat me with the newspaper this time because I've never seen the original either! :lol: :lol: :D

How about on the count of three we both smack each other on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for having never seen Red Dawn? :lol:

One ... two ...

Cykotic
10-Aug-2012, 07:13 PM
Never saw the original ... I know, I know, *evades Lou and his rolled up newspaper sweeping down towards my nose*, I know ... I totally want to see the original though, just haven't got around to it yet. I take it the original was the Russians invading, right? Well it makes sense to switch it to whoever it is in this flick ... the Chinese? The North Koreans?

Reminds me of the videogame Homefront (written by the guy who wrote the original Red Dawn, in fact) - where North Korea invade America after Kim Jong-Il dies (indeed the date in the game, and the date in real life were mere weeks apart IIRC, how's that for a coincidence?!). I'd definitely watch this on Sky Movies, even though some of it does look a smidge far-fetched (I'd imagine our Americalander chums grabbing their nearest weapon and showing the invaders their war faces in a second flat ... maybe there's more signs of wider resistance in the actual movie, than in the trailer?)

yep, twas the russians in the original and in this one, it's the North Koreans. It was the Chinese but there was a thing about the chinese being one of the biggest film markets in the world so they thought there would be less of a controversy if it was the North Koreans...

yep... because they don't have nukes.... do they?

Sammich
10-Aug-2012, 07:22 PM
To be honest it is just another in the long line of flashy cgi'ed to death, action scenes replacing plot remakes. The only thing this movie will accomplish is to rile up the brain dead idiots in the target demographic to engage in "patriotic" anti-asian antics, nevermind that the bad guys are supposed to be North Koreans, because "they all look the same".

Cykotic
10-Aug-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty much gonna see it from the standpoint of "I wanna see if this is better or worse than the original"

My main problem with it is that Hollywood has a horrible habit or churning out not so great remakes... *cough* dawn of the dead *cough*

AcesandEights
10-Aug-2012, 07:45 PM
I've never seen the original either! :lol: :lol: :D

GTFO!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/LousTruestofColors.png
By the way, congrats on 4,000 posts, commie! :D

LouCipherr
10-Aug-2012, 07:55 PM
How about on the count of three we both smack each other on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for having never seen Red Dawn? :lol:

One ... two ...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VCkg6Ea1Kko/TDtBS_zp3hI/AAAAAAAAKXM/Ck0qwn_VWrU/s1600/rolled_up_newspaper.jpg

*SMACK*

I think we both deserved that. :lol:

GTFO!

Nope, dead serious. :shifty:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/LousTruestofColors.png
By the way, congrats on 4,000 posts, commie! :D

WOOT! Hey, waaaait a sec, COMMIE?!

*begins re-rolling his newspaper and starts towards Aces*

Come back here! We're not done... "talking"!!!!

slickwilly13
11-Aug-2012, 02:07 AM
Well, I have viewed the original movie multiple times, jabronies. :p

It looks like a shot for shot remake. Seriously though, North Korea??? This is all I have to say about North Korea taking us on. "L"

MNZTifzpwkU

Trin
11-Aug-2012, 02:19 AM
To be honest it is just another in the long line of flashy cgi'ed to death, action scenes replacing plot remakes.
I am 100% in agreement with this sentiment.

I am a fan of the original and I watch it pretty much whenever it comes on. The original was about real people struggling with a terrible situation. There were no heroics and "tough guy" quips. The main characters were scared children. It was not an action movie.

Filter playing in the background as explosions go off as Jed is depicted as a combat veteran? Kill me now...

Sammich
11-Aug-2012, 03:17 AM
Well, I have viewed the original movie multiple times, jabronies. :p

I would bet that they are going to leave out the part about the North Koreans going to the sporting goods stores to get the 4473's or the iconic scene of the soldier taking the gun from a dead guy with the "from my cold dead hands" bumper sticker in the background.

wayzim
11-Aug-2012, 12:05 PM
I would bet that they are going to leave out the part about the North Koreans going to the sporting goods stores to get the 4473's or the iconic scene of the soldier taking the gun from a dead guy with the "from my cold dead hands" bumper sticker in the background.

Or the somewhat sympathetic lackey of the russian general - oh, we're talking about the remake now?
Looks like a dog ( or is that running dog? ) of a remake. Now, is this supposed to be N. Korea? ( or PRK, as they represent at this years Olympics ) or The Hand? ( for those who recognize Will Yun Lee as the chief baddie in that Jennifer Garner martial arts pic/sequel to Daredevil, Elektra? )

Even coming from a moderate brand of politics, I got a kick of the original which still lit that patriotic fire as the kids kicked ass and took names - Wolverines!

Way Zim

rongravy
11-Aug-2012, 09:04 PM
I am a fan of the original and I watch it pretty much whenever it comes on. The original was about real people struggling with a terrible situation. There were no heroics and "tough guy" quips. The main characters were scared children. It was not an action movie.
The part that always got to me is when the Russkies parachute in by the school and start blasting the teacher. Add that to The Day After and I can easliy say I grew up a pretty nervous kid.
Damn Russians.
I haven't seen the movie in a very long time. I really liked it growing up. I'm almost scared now to see it, maybe it won't stack up as well as it did when I was a kid. Who knows?

babomb
11-Aug-2012, 10:42 PM
My god this looks absolutely horrible!!! How could they do this to Red Dawn!? Aside from just looking like a shitty plot remake, the acting looks to be some of the worst ever.
Imagine what would have to happen in this country for things to get to the point where NK could just parachute in and take over. It made sense in the original when it was the USSR, they were an actual superpower at the time and were thought to actually hold capabilities of doing what they did in the film.
Why even do it if they're gonna make it such an epic fail from the start?

Trin
12-Aug-2012, 12:52 AM
The original portrayed it as an invasion from the south using Cuban and Soviet troops in a surprise attack that pushes partway into the nation and then stalls as US troops mobilize and fight back. It really made a great deal of sense. I have trouble believing that the remake will even spend time trying to explain it in a way that makes sense.

I cannot imagine that the remake will capture the isolation, desolation, and desperation of the plight of the kids in the original. They spend months on the mountain. The progression from scared children into a fighting unit is portrayed extremely well. How they turned their anger over events into action just works. And even at their height they still seem vulnerable and frightened. You never forget that beneath the hardening exterior these are still children.

On a side note, I have a friend who says that the plot of Red Dawn is highly unrealistic. Because the invading forces would hit Arkansas and the rednecks would kill them all in the woods like it was field day.

rongravy
12-Aug-2012, 01:19 AM
I had a really long and insightful post that I just accidentally erased.:(

I have to beat something now. So pissed...:mad:

Extremely short version:
Either way, gonna see the remake and rent the original.
Thor's in this one, and he's always kicking ass the right way.

childofgilead
12-Aug-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah, the main general was Cuban and became rather sick of the whole affair by the end..strangely enough, he also played the XO on the cult "classic" The Final Countdown, with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas.

As for the original, I grew up watching it on TBS and the Joe Bob Briggs show on TNT late Saturday nights. I used to love it in an unabashed, unironic way..now I can't help but see the bits of cheese coming out of the sides of the Swayze/Sheen sammich..that's alright though, I still have nostalgia.

JDFP
19-Aug-2012, 07:06 PM
The original film is a masterpiece of a Republican's wet dream. I absolutely love it - it's one of my most favorite films.

The remake? Eh. I'll see it. But, I'm not holding too much hope. There's no way it can compare to the original.

j.p.

Sammich
19-Aug-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah, the main general was Cuban and became rather sick of the whole affair by the end..strangely enough, he also played the XO on the cult "classic" The Final Countdown, with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas.

The irony was that the Cuban guy said that he had always been on the side of the insurgents, but invading the US turned him into the very enemy he fought against all of those years.

-- -------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

The original portrayed it as an invasion from the south using Cuban and Soviet troops in a surprise attack that pushes partway into the nation and then stalls as US troops mobilize and fight back. It really made a great deal of sense. I have trouble believing that the remake will even spend time trying to explain it in a way that makes sense.

The F15 pilot guy said their plan took place over many years as they also had infiltrated into key military strategic installations and disabled early warning systems that allowed the invasion to take place.

The remake looks like all the North Koreans do is set off an emp. Instead of the captain of the football team and his brother trying to keep the group alive, the remake has a super marine giving "patriotic" speeches and transforming the kids into hardened combat troops overnight. This shit is so cliched and predictable it is embarassing. If it weren't for the popularity of Hunger Games to capitalize on this movie would have gone straight to dvd.

This is what Harry Dean Stanton is going to be screaming after this abomination is released!

d_S1F1Zha_k

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2012, 01:57 PM
I have to beat something now. So pissed...:mad:
All that hate's gonna burn you up inside.

The remake? Eh. I'll see it. But, I'm not holding too much hope. There's no way it can compare to the original.

I feel the same way. The one good thing that may come from this is I feel the need to host a (original) Red Dawn viewing party.

Vaya con Dios...
http://blog.images.woot.com/bella.jpg

Eyebiter
20-Aug-2012, 05:56 PM
Recall seeing Red Dawn (1984) in the theater, the crowd was cheering like it was a football game. Will be interesting to see the reaction this time around.

Sammich
20-Aug-2012, 08:51 PM
Recall seeing Red Dawn (1984) in the theater, the crowd was cheering like it was a football game. Will be interesting to see the reaction this time around.

Probably nowhere near the same. Back then was the height of the cold war and the corporate news media made sure to remind people every day that we were on the verge of nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Even kids in the 80s were taught to be scared of the Russians. Remember in school the good old "duck and cover" drills? Like a plywood desktop was really going to protect you from a 10 megaton blast.

The only thing the current Red Dawn target demographic knows about North Korea is that stupid singing Kim Jong Il puppet from Team America World Police.