PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail denies Paralympic gold medallists own stamps

Cykotic
11-Aug-2012, 05:25 AM
Basically, The Royal Mail made the decision to make Stamps for each and every individual gold medal winner of the Team GB Olympic team. However, They are refusing to do the same thing for the paralympic team. They say that logistically, it would be impossible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/08/royal-mail-defends-paralympic-stamps

I don't understand their reasoning... how come they can do it for the able bodied competitors but not the paralympians?

On the Paralympics GB website, they made this statement:

"In Beijing, ParalympicsGB won 42 gold medals over 10 days of competition, including nine in one day, and we are expecting a similarly world-class level of performance from our athletes this time around. As a result, it is logistically and practically impossible for Royal Mail to produce an individual stamp for every one of the gold medallists for ParalympicsGB."

So let me get this right... because the paralympians perform better than the Olympians, they should get less recognition? Am I being too sensitive? Am I right to be angry at this? I told my wife (who has Multiple Sclerosis) this and she said:

You can be bloody sure that if the Olympic team won 42 gold medals there'd be stamps of all of them

Neil
11-Aug-2012, 07:25 AM
Hmm... Not a very convincing argument is it!

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2012, 09:37 AM
Hmm... Not a very convincing argument is it!

Certainly not - not even mention of doing several of them together on one stamp at a time. Like Cyk said, if we were getting 42 golds in the Olympics, there'd ruddy well be that many stamps for them. I can't believe Royal Mail saw nothing wrong with this decision - that somebody didn't stop them and say "are you effing crazy?!" Whoever was in charge of this decision needs a ruddy big slap. Hopefully there'll be a backlash about it and Royal Mail will see the error of their ways.

It's always daft when some company or corporation put out an explanation, but it's not actually an explanation - they don't explain their excuse, is what I mean. Why would it be practically impossible? I bet there's no real good reason for it.